Marcus Maye

thadude

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldnt hate the pick if there wasnt Darron Lee, Jamal Adams and to a lesser extent Calvin Pryor and Rontez Miles in the picture.  But there is and while I think he's better than the later 2, I'm not sure it's that much better.  I dont think he'll be another 2nd round bust but I dont see like a super high ceiling other than a nice solid player. 

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

I wouldnt hate the pick if there wasnt Darron Lee, Jamal Adams and to a lesser extend Calvin Pryor and Rontez Miles in the picture.  But there is and while I think he's better than the later 2, I'm not sure it's that much better.  I dont think he'll be another 2nd round bust but I dont see like a super high ceiling other than a nice solid player. 

If you're looking for a silver lining, "rich man's Rontez Miles" is still worlds better than Maccagnan's other second rounders.

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

I wouldnt hate the pick if there wasnt Darron Lee, Jamal Adams and to a lesser extend Calvin Pryor and Rontez Miles in the picture.  But there is and while I think he's better than the later 2, I'm not sure it's that much better.  I dont think he'll be another 2nd round bust but I dont see like a super high ceiling other than a nice solid player. 

Yeah, this... I mean, I get that Calvin Pryor isn't that good, but I really didn't think he was that bad that the priority needed to be replacing him.

42 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No whining here just trying to keep it real with fans like you. 

they tore down the house JW and at least you can see they are trying to build a solid foundation and identity now- I hope you have the stomach to sit tight for another year before they go after a big time QB

So is Maye the FS and Adams the SS? Both seem like physical safeties, while Maye seems to be marginally better in center field based on the few scouting reports I've read. They both seem like similar players. 

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

Yeah, this... I mean, I get that Calvin Pryor isn't that good, but I really didn't think he was that bad that the priority needed to be replacing him.

Bowles can't run a defense without hitting safeties.  This draft is a Bowles double down. 

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

So is Maye the FS and Adams the SS? Both seem like physical safeties, while Maye seems to be marginally better in center field based on the few scouting reports I've read. They both seem like similar players. 

Bowles did say they were inter changeable. I don't know, I still HATE the first two picks but it does seem like there is a plan to what they are doing namely adding a layer of leadership into the team and building over multiple years.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Bowles did say they were inter changeable. I don't know, I still HATE the first two picks but it does seem like there is a plan to what they are doing namely adding a layer of leadership into the team and building over multiple years.

If Bowles can't manage the team maybe a rookie DB can do it for him

2 hours ago, cant wait said:

they tore down the house JW and at least you can see they are trying to build a solid foundation and identity now- I hope you have the stomach to sit tight for another year before they go after a big time QB

Ok fair enough but I'm hoping Hack or Petty is that big time QB.

11 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

It's not the guy. It's not even the position. It's taking the guy at a non-value position after taking a similar (but better) prospect the round beforehand with a dozen other holes in the roster. 

The guy played for U of F, SEC. I'm sure he's a good ballplayer. Had we gone for Howard or Williams in Round 1, NOBODY would be THAT bewildered about the pick...

It's like the Jets are building a house, and before the foundation is even poured they're picking the curtains.....

Based on last seasons secondary the Jets CS & FO decided they're sick of 31 other teams looking in their windows at their naked asses. 

8 hours ago, PS17 said:

They're both interchangeable S. Both guys have 3 years of production and you can tell they're smart and experienced due to their awareness on the field. Gilchrist on the other hand is a FS, center fielder, while Pryor is strictly a box guy. Not much versatility amount both of them.

10 hours ago, JiF said:

I wouldnt hate the pick if there wasnt Darron Lee, Jamal Adams and to a lesser extent Calvin Pryor and Rontez Miles in the picture.  But there is and while I think he's better than the later 2, I'm not sure it's that much better.  I dont think he'll be another 2nd round bust but I dont see like a super high ceiling other than a nice solid player. 

On a team practically devoid of them, "nice solid player" is practically a Jets' unicorn. 

Fairly or unfairly, I will always compare Marcus Maye to Dalvin Cook because that's who I wanted the Jets to pick in the 2nd round. Off the field issues aside, I think he might turn out to be the best RB in this class.  And if he does, I will be sad.  

30 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Fairly or unfairly, I will always compare Marcus Maye to Dalvin Cook because that's who I wanted the Jets to pick in the 2nd round. Off the field issues aside, I think he might turn out to be the best RB in this class.  And if he does, I will be sad.  

Yeah but Cook doesn't play strong safety

On 4/29/2017 at 11:04 PM, LAD_Brooklyn said:

They're both interchangeable S. Both guys have 3 years of production and you can tell they're smart and experienced due to their awareness on the field. Gilchrist on the other hand is a FS, center fielder, while Pryor is strictly a box guy. Not much versatility amount both of them.

Which seems rather important for this scheme. But if the defense doesn't vastly improve, I think it's fair to question the wisdom in taking safeties in the first two rounds.

Bowles got his wish. Ideally, this means Pryor will play better as much of a "rover" and Lee will play better not having as many coverage responsibilities and just being able to chase plays down.

On April 29, 2017 at 10:09 AM, thadude said:

He was the Florida leader in the secondary that boasted two other day two picks in Quincy Wilson and Teez Tabor.  He is a solid 2nd round prospect that will start immediately.  Which ends our 10 year drought we have had with 2nd round picks.  

That alone makes it a great pick.  I really think teaming him with Adams is going to make both picks even better.

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

He was the Florida leader in the secondary that boasted two other day two picks in Quincy Wilson and Teez Tabor.  He is a solid 2nd round prospect that will start immediately.  Which ends our 10 year drought we have had with 2nd round picks.  

That alone makes it a great pick.  I really think teaming him with Adams is going to make both picks even better.

So.. the other two guys in college will make him a better pro huh?

Marcus Maye Selected Graduation Over Draft

maye-graduation-art.jpg

Jets’ second-round pick Marcus Maye was invited to the Draft in Philadelphia, but the University of Florida product decided to stay home to walk across a different stage.

“I have graduation early Saturday morning,” he told Eric Allen after he was selected by the Green & White. “That’s been one of my mom’s biggest things for me. She’s always pushed school and grades first. The fact that I came back for my last year to graduate, walk across the stage and get that degree is something I’ve always wanted to do for her.

Despite being eligible to declare for the 2016 Draft, the 6’0”, 210-pounder returned to Gainesville for his senior year to complete his degree in African American studies.

If I make a promise to anybody I want to follow it through — and this one was to my mom,” Maye said in an interview with SEC Country. “No one in my immediate family has graduated from college. The fact she wanted me to do that — not just play football, but also graduate — has been in the back of mind and knowing that the last year has always been a motivation for me.”

tempAP_16254858128554--nfl_mezz_1280_102

On 4/29/2017 at 10:17 AM, dbatesman said:

He can't cover, he lost four games to an injury and one to a suspension, and he's already 23. This is a pick that looked horrific at the time and somehow gets worse the more you learn about it.

So he's not the next Cam Chancellor. Damn it! They promised. 

Marcus Maye: 5 things to know about the New York Jets safety

Marcus Maye was selected by the New York Jets with the No. 39 pick on Friday night.

Maye was often overshadowed by the other stars on Florida’s defense in recent years.

He was consistently an understated contributor to a secondary led by future first-round NFL draft picks Vernon Hargreaves III and Keanu Neal in 2015, and then star cornerbacks Jalen Tabor and Quincy Wilson in 2016.

Consistent is the key word, though.

Maye was as steady as could be for the Gators, churning out one productive season after another. He chose to return for his senior campaign and was playing as well as ever before breaking his left arm on senior day against South Carolina.

That injury would keep him out the rest of the season and limit his postseason showcase opportunities for NFL scouts, but it did not dampen his draft stock.

Maye soared up mock drafts in recent weeks and projects as an immediate contributor for the Jets.

Here’s a closer look at the standout safety:

5. Marcus Maye making a late surge

After skipping the physical tests at the 2017 NFL Combine while recovering from the broken arm, Maye made his impression at Florida’s pro day.

The website DraftAnalyst.com reported his 40-yard dash times between 4.47 and 4.52 seconds, which is what Maye said he was told as well. He said his vertical jump was marked around 34-35 inches.

Between showing he was healed and healthy after the injury and his game film from the past few years, Maye was able to put together a compelling case for why teams in need of a safety should look his way on draft day.

4. Marcus Maye by the numbers

Despite missing the final four games with the injury, Maye finished fourth on the Gators with 50 total tackles. He also had an interception, 6 pass break-ups and a sack.

After starting two games as a freshman, Maye became a mainstay in the Gators’ starting lineup during his final three seasons.

He tallied 62 tackles, 1 interception, 6 passes defended and 2 forced fumbles as a sophomore, then had 82 tackles, 2 interceptions, 8 passes defended and 5 forced fumbles as a junior. Maye was named first-team All-SEC by Pro Football Focus and earned first-team All-American recognition from USA Today and PFF after that 2015 season.

3. Marcus Maye’s versatility 

Maye brings all the tools to the table that an NFL team would look for in an impact safety.

As evidenced by all those forced fumbles, he is a physical and disruptive tackler, while also possessing strong coverage skills.

“When you talk about Marcus, [it’s] his versatility not only to play center field but come down and play in the box and still cover guys as well,” Gators coach Jim McElwain said.

2. Marcus Maye part of the DBU tradition

Florida has embraced the “DBU” moniker for its ability to repeatedly turn defensive backs into top draft prospects.

Maye’s former teammates and predecessors on the path from Florida’s secondary to the NFL have set a high standard as well.

Vernon Hargreaves III, the No. 11 overall pick last season by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, was named to the Pro Football Writers of America’s All-Rookie team after starting all 16 games in 2016 and totaling 76 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, 9 passes defended, 1 interception and 1 forced fumble.

Meanwhile, safety Keanu Neal, the 17th overall selection last year by the Atlanta Falcons, had 106 total tackles as a rookie. He and former Gators teammate Brian Poole, an undrafted free agent, were key defensive contributors in Atlanta’s run to the Super Bowl.

Add in Jalen Tabor and Quincy Wilson, who were both expected to be early-round picks this year, Maye has been surrounded by top talent throughout his collegiate career, all the while assimilating to a high standard of play and making his own mark.

1. Marcus Maye’s stock climbing

In a dual mock draft with colleague Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay slotted Maye as the 38th overall pick to the San Diego Chargers and as the second Florida player off the board.

Maye is underrated. He’s extremely reliable against the run and had good ball production, with 17 pass breakups and five picks,” McShay wrote.

Meanwhile, NFL.com’s Mike Mayock ranked Maye the 48th-best prospect in the draftSB Nation slotted Maye as the 62nd overall pick and Fox Sports forecasted Maye going 63rd overall.

On 4/29/2017 at 0:39 PM, Il Mostro said:

Moot point.  Pryor is a bonafide bust.  They are moving on, rather than continue to play a losing hand.  I still would have rather taken D'Onta Foreman, but ditching Pryor is the right thing to do, independent of the pick.

And who would have blocked for Foreman, you?  Elfelin center OU should have been the pick. 

Archived