Per GGN Jets offer McCown $4mil more than any other team

32EBoozer

37 minutes ago, slats said:

The last two teams McCown started for got the #1 pick in the following year's draft, so we have that going for us. 

The Jets may start him, but I don't think it's what they want to do. I think they'll give the kids every opportunity to win the job. 

I hope you're right my friend, I really do.  Even if it hurts the "Suck for Sam" crowd.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they wanted McCown so badly because he's the most experienced veteran that will NOT have fans screaming to start him. I think you guys are all wrong, McCown is not seeing the field unless there's injuries. If we want and got Cutler for example, and Hack or Petty struggle, fans are screaming for Cutler to come in even though realistically he does no good for the team long term. McCown serves as a quality vet to step in if there's an injury, and quietly back these guys up as a mentor otherwise. That's 4m worthwhile if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

17 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I think they wanted McCown so badly because he's the most experienced veteran that will NOT have fans screaming to start him. I think you guys are all wrong, McCown is not seeing the field unless there's injuries. If we want and got Cutler for example, and Hack or Petty struggle, fans are screaming for Cutler to come in even though realistically he does no good for the team long term. McCown serves as a quality vet to step in if there's an injury, and quietly back these guys up as a mentor otherwise. That's 4m worthwhile if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Some really really really wishful thinking here by some in the fan base.  McCown will be the starter this year and will play barring injury at least until we are out of the playoffs by game 10 or 11.

12 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

And he will be worth every penny of woody money having extra coach on sideline for petty and hack.

I am also going to enjoy watching jets win a lot of games while a lot of dumbass around here root for them to fall on their face.....

Yeah! Another decade of staying in the 5-11 to 9-7 spin cycle here we come!

IMG_0794.GIF.c50220ca5411e0e4f99512dc61925fe3.GIF

3 hours ago, slats said:

The last two teams McCown started for got the #1 pick in the following year's draft, so we have that going for us. 

The Jets may start him, but I don't think it's what they want to do. I think they'll give the kids every opportunity to win the job. 

Something over which to be optimistic. :) 

Will be hard to watch, but at least there'll be payoff in the end.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Anyone notice how the same fans who think Hack will start this year and want to evaluate Hack, are the same fans who are strongest supporters of the sillyness of Suck for Sam?

Wierd.  Going to be ALOT od dissapointment when McCown starts, and we finish with draft pick #8-12 or so.

I think it's the hope / assumption that Hackenberg starting 16 games is our best shot at tanking (probably accurate).  At the same time, as much of a long shot as it is that Hackenberg is any good, his long-term ceiling for the Jets is way higher than the 38 year old proven-dud Josh McCown.  (Also, based on that draft pick projection, I think you're over-estimating the amount of W's McCown will get us...)

I predict Hackenberg starts.  I base that on the way the draft was conducted.  Mac correctly drafted like a team in rebuild mold and did not pick another QB.  They will give Hack (also perhaps Petty) a true shot and if it is apparent that they need a QB they will draft one next year.  Given that Hackenberg was a 2nd rounder last season, I believe he is the QB that the organization feels has the best chance to develop.

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'm hoping Hackenberg is the guy. Why would I bet against my own interests?

The fact is that I have hope but not faith.

fair enough

Petty is my guy but I will not lose any sleep if Hack beats him out.

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Obviously the Cowboys don't need a starter nor do they need a transition QB so they offered what they offered its not that big a deal .... I figured Jets fans would be slitting their wrists over this and its just the same old sh*t with the fans here. 

Mccown is here for maybe 1 year and will probably play if our young QB's just totally sh*t the bed and embarrass themselves out of a chance to be the next Jets QB. In that case we will have one of the top 3 QB's in next years draft. It comes down to what the team perceives as a need and ours happens to be a little different than the Cowboys who already have a starter for the next 15 years.

At some point in the very near future Bowles is going to utter  the sentence that says "McCown gives us the best chance to win". It's what this idiotic franchise does. 
We could have signed this guy for vet minimum today instead of funding his IRA. Who ever the QB is going to have about 2.6 seconds before he has to sling another bubble screen  given they did nothing about the OL or a primo RB. Like getting a TE, but getting 2 more WRs when there won't be time to throw deep, don't get what they're offensive plan is.  So why overpay a guy who has no future here rather than figure out if Petty or Hack might be The One? Don't think a 38 year old is gonna embrace the chuck and duck offense. 

I'm glad Woody is paying an extra $4MM just to not have to hear eight months of, "Who will the Jets hire as a vet QB?" this offseason. 

I suspect Macc paid as much as he did to get McCown on the roster early and avoid all the problems we had last offseason. I think the whole last minute signing caused a lot of the problems last year. Too much question about who would start at QB from OTA through TC, division created over Fitz v. Geno among players (probably coach, too) and Fitz not having a lot of time to shore up support before the season started. Add to that if the team hopes to start one of the young players then the starter is best served having QB controversy taken away and a mentor ready to go at OTAs. Is $4MM worth resolving those issues? Probably so.

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

At some point in the very near future Bowles is going to utter  the sentence that says "McCown gives us the best chance to win". It's what this idiotic franchise does. 
We could have signed this guy for vet minimum today instead of funding his IRA. Who ever the QB is going to have about 2.6 seconds before he has to sling another bubble screen  given they did nothing about the OL or a primo RB. Like getting a TE, but getting 2 more WRs when there won't be time to throw deep, don't get what they're offensive plan is.  So why overpay a guy who has no future here rather than figure out if Petty or Hack might be The One? Don't think a 38 year old is gonna embrace the chuck and duck offense. 

Was about odd they didnt take a back higher. It's basically an old Forte and Powell again..and he seems to get nicked up often.

16 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Sadly, no.

I believe the contract starts at 6M and he could get up to 12M with game bonuses.

Regardless, I don't give a fcuk what they paid him. The team has zero money tied up at QB and could afford to overspend to land their guy. But 'their guy' better be 'their guy' to be a mentor to Petty and Hack, and not to start 1/2 the games this season. Of course, given Todd 'He gives us the best chance to win' Bowles, I'm guessing, barring injury, McCown gets every penny of his Jets deal

My huge concern is that Bowles is saying all the right things now but in the end will be as stubborn and stupid about the QB position and trot McCown out there week after week after week until the point that neither Hack nor Petty get the opportunity to audition what they can do. Not only is Bowles incompetent, but I think he is actually slightly higher on the totem pole with Woody. HC should NEVER ever ever report directly to the president unless your last name is Belichick maybe the one exception ever that can balance the tactical and strategical requirements of player personnel with coaching. GM should completely control the draft and roster.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious how quickly this Mccowm spirals out of control. Unless the Jets are betting on this guy to actually win games, which initself is Insanity this will get ugly quickly.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2016 Cleveland Browns 5 165 90 54.5 33.0 1,100 6.7 220.0 6 3.6 6 3.6 54 14 2 18 126 72.3

2015 Cleveland Browns 8 292 186 63.7 36.5 2,109 7.2 263.6 12 4.1 4 1.4 56 24 6 23 137 93.3

2014 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 11 327 184 56.3 29.7 2,206 6.7 200.5 11 3.4 14 4.3 56T 28 6 36 235 70.5

2013 Chicago Bears 8 224 149 66.5 28.0 1,829 8.2 228.6 13 5.8 1 0.4 80T 21 3 11 37 109.0

the last 4 years on crap teams and it seems like every other year he puts up respectable numbers. He's not as bad as everyone is saying on here, he has experience playing on crap teams, he's a vet with many years under his belt and he understands his role. We could have done a lot worse than him and at 6 million for one year, its a lot better than what we got for 12 million last year.

2 minutes ago, estang74 said:
2016 Cleveland Browns 5 165 90 54.5 33.0 1,100 6.7 220.0 6 3.6 6 3.6 54 14 2 18 126 72.3

2015 Cleveland Browns 8 292 186 63.7 36.5 2,109 7.2 263.6 12 4.1 4 1.4 56 24 6 23 137 93.3

2014 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 11 327 184 56.3 29.7 2,206 6.7 200.5 11 3.4 14 4.3 56T 28 6 36 235 70.5

2013 Chicago Bears 8 224 149 66.5 28.0 1,829 8.2 228.6 13 5.8 1 0.4 80T 21 3 11 37 109.0

the last 4 years on crap teams and it seems like every other year he puts up respectable numbers. He's not as bad as everyone is saying on here, he has experience playing on crap teams, he's a vet with many years under his belt and he understands his role. We could have done a lot worse than him and at 6 million for one year, its a lot better than what we got for 12 million last year.

McCown is a better QB than Fitzpatrick and IIRC was one of the 2 QB the Jets went after (Hoyer) before settling on Fitzpatrick . He has a better arm, is 2 inches taller and IMO, more athletic . 

12 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

McCown is a better QB than Fitzpatrick and IIRC was one of the 2 QB the Jets went after (Hoyer) before settling on Fitzpatrick . He has a better arm, is 2 inches taller and IMO, more athletic . 

McCown is not better than Fitzpatrick or even Geno

On the suck-age meter he is slightly ahead of Hoyer

1 minute ago, isired said:
30 minutes ago, thadude said:
Ok so why even sign him?

needed to sign someone in case you figure out quickly that Hack and Petty aren't the answer.

We shouldn't have signed McCown.  Either we are tanking or not

We shouldn't have signed McCown.  Either we are tanking or not

Wait, are you saying that signing McCown means we're not tanking? What is his record as a starter the last four years? Where have those teams drafted?

Archived