Jets QB Christian Hackenberg enters 2017 season with 'different level of confidence'

Gas2No99

Jets QB Christian Hackenberg enters 2017 season with 'different level of confidence'

i?img=%2Fmedia%2Fmotion%2F2017%2F0515%2F

CALDWELL, N.J. -- Even though he didn't play a single regular-season snap as a rookie, Christian Hackenberg believes he's entering 2017 with "a different level of confidence" -- and he expects that to serve him well in the New York Jets' quarterback competition.

"I'm a lot more comfortable in Year 2," he said Monday, speaking to reporters for the first time since the end of the season. "I really, really feel good about where I'm at."

Hackenberg will compete against veteran Josh McCown and third-year quarterback Bryce Petty, who started four games last year. Coach Todd Bowles is calling it an open competition, saying all three will get a shot in the spring.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0119%2Fr172565_1

The Jets drafted Christian Hackenberg in the second round of the 2016 draft, but he didn't see the field as a rookie. Brad Penner/USA TODAY Sports

McCown, 37, is the favorite based on his experience in the league, but Hackenberg -- a former second-round pick -- will get every chance to prove himself.

"I think I got better in a lot of ways, even going back to the day I stepped foot in the building until the end of the season," said Hackenberg, who was active for only one game and spent a good chunk of 2016 as the fourth quarterback on a four-man depth chart.

The Jets were criticized for not getting Hackenberg into a game. They called it a "redshirt year," but there were private concerns about his readiness.

Bowles said recently that he expects Hackenberg to have more "pep in his step" now that he's competing for the starting job.

Hackenberg agreed with that, adding he's "more confident in the situation, more confident walking in the building, more confident with the guys in the locker room and in the huddle."

He called it "natural growth." There's pressure on him because, if he doesn't show significant progress, the Jets likely will try to tap into what experts are calling a loaded 2018 quarterback class.

Despite intense speculation, the Jets didn't draft a quarterback last month. Hackenberg said he doesn't necessarily view that as a vote of confidence.

"Whether that's a sign of confidence or not, I have to hold up my end and get better and continue to grow and take advantage of this spring and summer," he said, speaking at teammate David Harris' charity golf outing in New Jersey.

Petty, who shared a golf cart with Hackenberg, said he has been cleared to participate in OTA practices, which start next week. He underwent surgery in December to repair a torn labrum in his left (non-throwing) shoulder.

Petty said he's "full speed, full tilt. Everything is good. I'm clicking right now."

Caught up with Jets QB Christian Hackenberg at David Harris' charity golf outing in Caldwell, N.J. Hackenberg said he expects to be "better in a lot of ways" compared to last year -- in football, not golf.

Video Interview Link: http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19389322

not that he doesn't deserve to be booed if he stinks up the joint but at this point people just need to calm down and see what this guy can do.  the thing is a great qb can mask a lot of a team's problems but one the other hand a great team can make an average qb look pretty darn good .  i'm not saying that this team will be great but it's way to early to pass judgment.  at least let the season start.  by game 4 or 5 we'll know if hack is worth keeping around.

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

There's got to be a low-hanging fruit Madden "levels" joke in there somewhere... it's just beneath me to reach for it.

Try this one:

Hackenberg kills it at Madden until he tries the All-Franklin level

Does Bryce Petty have legit shot at Jets' QB job? 'Yeah, why not?'

New York Jets host Miami Dolphins in NFL Week 15 action

CALDWELL -- When assessing the Jets' quarterback situation, it is tempting to overlook Bryce Petty, whom the organization drafted in Round 4 two years ago.

But as the Jets prepare to hold an open quarterback competition this spring and summer, Petty is making one thing clear: He has a legitimate chance to win the starting job.

That's what he steadfastly believes, at least. 

"Yeah, why not?" he said. "Why not? It's an open competition, so for me, it's open." 

He still has the same exact confidence, as always, that he could be the Jets' long-term starter. 

"For me, it's not could," he said. "It's can. That's important."  

Harris: Jets will 'surprise' people in 2017

Petty spoke Monday at a charity golf event hosted by Jets middle linebacker David Harris. The annual event benefits the Give the Kids Hope Foundation

Petty tore the labrum in his left (non-throwing) shoulder in December. The injury required surgery. But Petty said he is now 100 percent, and throwing at full speed. He said he will be ready to fully participate when the Jets begin organized team activities practices next Tuesday.  

"I'm to rock and roll for OTAs," he said, as he prepares to compete with veteran journeyman Josh McCown and fellow youngster Christian Hackenberg this spring and summer. 

Hackenberg's confidence is growing

Petty didn't play as a rookie. And then the Jets drafted Hackenberg in Round 2 last year. Yet Petty made the team last season nonetheless, as the Jets retained four quarterbacks. 

While Hackenberg took his "redshirt" year in 2016, Petty played in six games, with four starts. His stats: three touchdowns, seven interceptions, 60.0 quarterback rating. Overall, those numbers are less than ideal. But Petty took positives from playing last year. 

"Good things to pull from," he said. "Really, all good things. Some things we did good, and some things we've definitely got to work at. As far as getting my feet wet and understanding that 'man, I can play in this game,' that's a big thing. I grew a lot, learned a lot. I've got to get better as far as just being consistent." 

He fully believes he can play at this level, though you wouldn't expect him to say otherwise. 

Which Jets pick will have biggest impact?

"Yeah, definitely," he said. "Heck yeah. Third year is a big year. Apparently, they say that's when everything clicks. Not that there's a timeline for that. I'm excited for that." 

Ultimately, Petty will have to back up his confidence with results, which should make this summer's training camp a fascinating and crucial time for him. 

Christian Hackenberg is ‘different’ and ready for Jets QB battle

Christian Hackenberg is ‘different’ and ready for Jets QB battle

Christian Hackenberg says he is not the same quarterback he was a year ago. Now, he hopes to prove it.

The second-year Jets quarterback said Monday he is entering 2017 more confident.

“Without a doubt, I think there’s a different level of confidence,” Hackenberg said at David Harris’ charity golf tournament in North Caldwell, N.J., “but I think that also goes back to Year 2 – more comfortable in the situation, more comfortable walking in the building, more comfortable with the guys in the locker room, in the huddle. I think just that natural growth from, I wouldn’t even say confidence, but just the comfort standpoint of walking in there and doing things.”

Hackenberg said he found out when the public did in March that the Jets would have an open competition between Josh McCown, Bryce Petty and Hackenberg for the starting quarterback job this year. Hackenberg did not play a down as a rookie, which was the clear plan from the organization after they drafted him in the second round last year. Now, he has a shot at being the starter, but he would not say what he thinks his chances are of winning the job.

“At the end of the day, that’s not my call,” Hackenberg said. “I don’t have control over that. Something that’s always been stuck in my head going all the way back to high school is ‘control what I can control.’ Whatever I have control over, that’s what I’m going to try to do to the best of my ability.”

Hackenberg was asked if being the Week 1 starter is his goal. He chose his words carefully.

“I have a ton of goals, and being able to play obviously and help this team is one of them. I think the bigger picture is controlling what I have control over, and that’s ultimately the focus for me,” he said.

Hackenberg said he spent the offseason working in California with his personal quarterback coach, Jordan Palmer, and at home in Virginia with some different people. The Jets have not done much on the field yet. They begin organized team activities next week. He hopes the coaches see his improvement.

“I think I got better in a lot of ways, even going back from the day I stepped foot in the building until the end of last season,” Hackenberg said. “I’m just continuing to try to do that at every step of the way and continuing to try to grow because you’ve never met your full potential, you’ve never been there. You look at guys like [Tom] Brady, the best in the league at our position, and they’re always trying to get better. If they’re still trying to get better, then there’s no reason for me not to. I’m just trying to grow in a lot of areas.”

Hackenberg and Petty were paired up in the golf outing for a tournament that benefits the Give Kids Hope Foundation. It is the seventh annual year Harris has held the tournament.

Petty is coming off of surgery to repair his left (non-throwing) shoulder after suffering an injury in Week 16 against the Patriots last year. He said he is now 100 percent and expects to be a full go in OTAs. He said having a shot at the starting job won’t alter his approach.

“In my preparation since I’ve been here, it’s been the same for how I’m approaching it,” Petty said. “Maybe for [the media] it’s a little different way to write it. My approach is always the same and will continue to be the same, that is to prepare like I’m the starter no matter what happens. It’s open, that’s great. If it’s closed, that’s great. I’m going to be the same guy.”

Approach, preparation, studying, working hard... Sanchez was always great at giving the off-the-field aspects of QB responsibilities great lip-service. 

I don't care. Be good at playing or GTFO.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Eh, I dunno... I will give you this though, it's a notch up from @Pac's half-brained attempt. I'm not sure that's braggable though.

less is more, pig.

you should think about that when you go off on one of your half page rants that no one reads.

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

less is more, pig.

you should think about that when you go off on one of your half page rants that no one reads.

I think you're confusing me with @Bleedin Green or @Smashmouth

And sorry, Paco Belly Grande, but that rule doesn't apply to humor. If you have less of it, you just have less. Not more. There are no Reaganomics for jokes on the internetz. 

32 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Call me when he gets a different level of accuracy.

Actually Hack stated he's worked hard this off season and was able to hit the side of the barn a couple times. Let's not undermine that progress. ?

They can talk all they want and I'm glad they have a LEVEL of confidence especially when they walk into the building. ? This will be a proving year for Jet QB's. I haven't seen any major improvement in the O-Line which is worry some to me. If young QB'S don't have decent time they will make mistakes, big mistakes. At least they can throw ropes and the long ball which should keep the opposing defenses somewhat honest unlike last year. Secondary didn't care about getting burnt last year cause Fitz couldn't throw more than 25 yds. And if he did he had so much arc on it that the D'backs could catch up to it and intercept the usual underthrown "Fitz bomb" . Just hope they don't start McCown. That will be an indicator that the Jets don't have what they need at QB yet. 

Archived