Costello: The NFL is viciously roasting the Jets, who have "no plan."

T0mShane

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The NFL is viciously roasting the Jets, who have "no plan."

The Jets are the laughingstock of the NFL, and they have not even lost a game yet in 2017.

People around the league from coaches to front-office executives to player agents are cackling about the state of the Jets franchise and the team’s latest moves — releasing veteran linebacker David Harris and planning to dump wide receiver Eric Decker through either a trade or his release.

In several conversations over the past two days, NFL people have wondered whether the Jets actually have a plan, how much dysfunction there is inside the organization and why they waited until June to dump one of their most respected players.

All of it reflects poorly on owner Woody Johnson and general manager Mike Maccagnan, the architects behind this complete roster teardown (let’s not call it a rebuild until we actually see evidence of building).

“They have the worst roster in the league and it’s not close,” one executive said.

A roster that looked bad got even worse Tuesday. Harris was the heart and soul of the Jets’ defense, a player twice voted as the most inspirational player on the team and once as team MVP, in 2010. Decker impressed teammates with how he looked this spring after shoulder and hip surgeries and was clearly the best receiver the team had.

af.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=300&strip=
Nick Mangold, Brett Favre and Alan Faneca in 2008Anthony J. Causi

Clearly, Johnson wanted to save some money by getting rid of Harris and his $6.5 million, a shortsighted, ill-conceived decision. Harris was a respected voice in the locker room and one who could help shape second-year linebacker Darron Lee, who got himself into trouble over the weekend. Years ago, the Jets brought in guard Alan Faneca, whose greatest contribution to the Jets might have been teaching young players Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson how to be pros. Harris could have done the same for Lee.

The Jets are going with a youth movement, but teams still need a few veterans to point the way. Harris and Decker could have been those guides. You don’t think Decker could have helped along young receivers Robby Anderson, ArDarius Stewart, Chad Hansen and Charone Peake?

Many people around the league are scratching their heads at the timing of these decisions, particularly Harris. Why would a team treat a player who spent 10 years representing the organization well and doing the right things like this? The time to make a request for a salary cut or to release him was in February or March, not after the eighth OTA.

“It’s like they have no plan,” one agent said.

The time to rebuild was in Year 1 of the Maccagnan/Bowles regime in 2015. Instead, they went on a spending spree to be competitive, and now they are left in this strange no-man’s land, where Bowles and Maccagnan have been here for 29 months already with little to show for it.

It feels like the last two years were wasted.

That leads to questions about who can survive this season. The consensus seems to be Maccagnan is probably safe unless the team goes 1-15 or 0-16 and Johnson succumbs to public pressure. Bowles is viewed as a goner by nearly everyone. His contract expires after the 2018 season, and NFL coaches do not usually go into a season as a lame duck, meaning Johnson either has to fire or extend Bowles after this season. How can he extend a coach if they go 3-13 or 4-12 and have missed the playoffs for three straight seasons?

On Tuesday, Bowles showed the first signs of frustration with the direction the team is going. The Harris cut clearly hit him hard. The microscope will be on his relationship with Maccagnan this season as the two appear to be operating off of different game plans.

The Jets are viewed as team that is years away from contending again, with all the pressure falling on Maccagnan and his scouting chops. There are questions about those after two drafts that have produced Leonard Williams and a whole bunch of question marks.

On Tuesday night, when Maccagnan met with reporters, he looked as somber as he ever has publicly since taking over as GM in 2015. Smiles and laughter are hard to come by around the Jets’ offices these days.

It’s hard to laugh when you’re the NFL’s punch line.

Lol the planted it's not Todd Bowles fault stories happening in June can't make this sh*t up.  The NFL coaching, and front offices are filled with nothing, but CYA employees.

2 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Can we at least get to training camp before declaring this to be the worst NFL roster of the last 50 years?

No one said it's the worst NFL roster of the last 50 years, they're just the worst NFL roster of this year.

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Maybe I'm finally losing my optimism/becoming jaded...but...good.  This is the year to suck.  I hope we suck.  I hope we suck BAD.  I could live with being the 2nd team to go 0-16 if it means everything gets blown up and we draft a real franchise QB.  If Mac AND Bowles go at the end?  Fine.  If this is a legit tank job by Mac and Bowles ultimately is the scapegoat?  Don't care.  A QB is worth it.  Hire a new coach and move on with your lives.  At the end of the day, if either one of those scenarios plays out, there will be plenty of good candidates who want to come here because they get to work with a top talent QB.

Why would we draft a QB when we have Hack?

Dumbest article ever.

We won 5 fkn games last year paying David Harris and Erik Decker $15 million dollars.

Now they're a year older and more injured we should pay them again....For who? For what?

the reason we "treated David Harris like this" is because we literally just traded for his replacement last week. And did that because we just drafted safeties to make Pryor redundant and tradeable.  This logic is so shockingly simple that it's actually incredible to hear people offended at the timing of Harris' release.

What worries me with all of this bad talk about the Jets and all the laughingstock stuff in the media is that if the Jets do hold the number one pick and Darnold or his agent tells him screw the Jets go back to college or guys decide to try to force trades or refuse to play for the Jets.

That's the kind of thing about this stuff that worries me.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The real story here is that Bowles' support system around the league is closing ranks around him--possibly at his request--and it's about to get dirty in Florham. The good news is that stories like this will guarantee Bowles' exit at the end of the season. The bad news is that no coach with options will ever work for Woody Johnson again. 

Plenty of coaches want to coach the Jerry Jones led Cowboys. The same owner/GM that ran SB winning coach out of town. 

Conclusion: Money talks. 

If Harris was the "glue" that held our #28 ranked defense together...

Maybe Demario 'scotch tape' Davis isn't such a horrible replacement. It's not like we're asking him to cover like we mistakenly did on his first tour; he's a thumper, built like Harris; with the same production; but 5 years younger. 

Whats the problem?

Don't get me wrong, I liked Decker. Especially in year-2, but he had 9 receptions last year. 

At his salary, and injury history, you'd think that after drafting multiple replacement prospects and bringing in so many free agents over the last two years, this wouldn't have shocked the league as much as it has. 

4 hours ago, j4jets said:

Plenty of coaches want to coach the Jerry Jones led Cowboys. The same owner/GM that ran SB winning coach out of town. 

Conclusion: Money talks. 

Since Jones ran Jimmy Johnson out of town, it's been Barry Switzer, Dave Campo, Chan Gailey, three years of Parcells (who ran screaming), Wade Phillips, and Jason Garrett. 

Jets Fans: WHY DONT WE EVER SUCK WHEN THERE'S A FRANCHISE QB IN THE DRAFT?  STUPID SOJ!!!

Jets:  Wow, lots of top-tier QB talent coming out next season, lets make sure we don't get shut out on draft day and finally get a franchise QB.

Jets fans:  OH MY GOD, Brian Costello said another writer told him the Jets don't have a plan.  Fire everyone!!!

14 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Jets Fans: WHY DONT WE EVER SUCK WHEN THERE'S A FRANCHISE QB IN THE DRAFT?  STUPID SOJ!!!

Jets:  Wow, lots of top-tier QB talent coming out next season, lets make sure we don't get shut out on draft day and finally get a franchise QB.

Jets fans:  OH MY GOD, Brian Costello said another writer told him the Jets don't have a plan.  Fire everyone!!!

Interesting theory but in the real world this teams management is too inept to "suck" by design.

I mean really. Think about it.

In previous drafts they have passed on QBs better than whats coming out next year so how are we to believe this is by design?

Just now, Kleckineau said:

Interesting theory but in the real world this teams management is to inept to "suck" by design.

I mean really. Think about it.

In previous drafts they have passed on QBs better than whats coming out next year so how are we to believe this is by design?

Lots of teams passed on those same QBs.

They may whiff again when they take one next season.

It's all an unknown at this point, but what we do know is that they will likely be in position to take a franchise QB next season.  Based on how they've approached this offseason, it's not going to be by mistake.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The real story here is that Bowles' support system around the league is closing ranks around him--possibly at his request--and it's about to get dirty in Florham. The good news is that stories like this will guarantee Bowles' exit at the end of the season. The bad news is that no coach with options will ever work for Woody Johnson again. 

they either have to find a talented no-name or hire a has been ont he skids.  Yes. I love it. I will take the has been.

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

Dumbest article ever.

We won 5 fkn games last year paying David Harris and Erik Decker $15 million dollars.

Now they're a year older and more injured we should pay them again....For who? For what?

the reason we "treated David Harris like this" is because we literally just traded for his replacement last week. And did that because we just drafted safeties to make Pryor redundant and tradeable.  This logic is so shockingly simple that it's actually incredible to hear people offended at the timing of Harris' release.

Ding, ding!

We have a winner. I'm yet to see anyone here argue that Harris hasn't lost a couple of steps and was great in coverage. His legs are dead. He needed to be cut last year, not given an extension. Decker is perpetually injured and would not give us a single win, if that was what we wanted so badly.

Has Woody Johnson been reading up on Abe Lincoln, who famously quipped: "My plan is to have no plan." Genius.

:)

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

lol, I hear you but it mean be easier to go along if they don't always suck!

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

All depends on what fits that description.

They took over a team with little to no talent and managed to win 10 games in year one.  No prizes for 10 wins, but it doesn't suck either.  They thought they were close and the entire team came out and screwed the pooch from opening day and never looked back in year two.

Complete meltdown from top to bottom. 

If Geno doesn't get knocked out by IK, he Geno's the 2015 season, the Jets win 5-6 games and the re-build starts then.

As it turned out, Fitz played well enough to get a second shot and it was a disaster, so the re-build was put on hold for the sake of $600.

11 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Really????   Decent football guy but what makes you think he can run the Jets?  How's he done in Chicago? 

Well, he did get rid of Forte and McCown.  He did that in Chicago and could do it here.  We already dumped Marshall, so part of his job is already complete

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Since Jones ran Jimmy Johnson out of town, it's been Barry Switzer, Dave Campo, Chan Gailey, three years of Parcells (who ran screaming), Wade Phillips, and Jason Garrett. 

He's had Jason Garrett as HC forever, even while Wade Phillips was officially the HC. Garrett was highly coveted back in 2007 or so but Jerry paid him like a HC while he was an OC and just gave him the asst HC title while he waited for Wade to blow up. They haven't had the need to switch for a while but that doesn't mean their HC job applications were record low. Jerry himself never wanted a high profile guy to be the HC cuz he wants to be in the headlines way more than his HCs. 

It's easy to throw stones from a distance, but anyone that has actually watched a Jets game would know that Harris should have been cut two years ago.  Great Jet, great guy, but he is old and slow.  I would have liked to have seen Decker stay for another year and mentor the young pups at WR, but now they will get more reps and learn on the job.  We sucked with him and can suck without him.  Now, it doesn't mean that we don't have the worst roster in the NFL, but the hysteria over these moves is way off base.

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Agreed. It's amazing how so many jets fans don't get it. We are tanking and rebuilding. This is what a roster looks like when you rebuild/tank.

So many fans are caught up in the fact that macc tried to win year one and two. But every situation calls for a different game plan. The Jets roster two years ago wasn't that bad. With a few tweaks he was able to get ten wins. Not bad. He then was compelled to go for it again ( you can't tank after winning ten games). It failed miserably.

Now he realizes it's time for a full blown rebuild. Guess what? That's the right call. 

11 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

It's been this way for 45 years ... we have fans , many fans, who have become happy with 9 and 7 and think 10 and 6 is super bowl bound.   

Funny you should say that since that was the records of the Giants who beat the 16-0 and 13-3 Pats in the 2007 and 2011 bowls..:)

39 minutes ago, AFJF said:

All depends on what fits that description.

They took over a team with little to no talent and managed to win 10 games in year one.  No prizes for 10 wins, but it doesn't suck either.  They thought they were close and the entire team came out and screwed the pooch from opening day and never looked back in year two.

Complete meltdown from top to bottom. 

If Geno doesn't get knocked out by IK, he Geno's the 2015 season, the Jets win 5-6 games and the re-build starts then.

As it turned out, Fitz played well enough to get a second shot and it was a disaster, so the re-build was put on hold for the sake of $600.

It was the Jetsiest way possible to win 10 games!

45 minutes ago, jgb said:

They always suck because they've never had a GM with the balls to go all in on a rebuild. It's tough to sell that in New York thanks, in part, to the media and the large contingent of SOJFs. 

Macc has balls the question is whether he has the ability to rebuild a roster. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

They always suck because they've never had a GM with the balls to go all in on a rebuild. It's tough to sell that in New York thanks, in part, to the media and the large contingent of SOJFs. 

Macc has balls the question is whether he has the ability to rebuild a roster. 

Well we are here now but so far Mac hasn't shown any preternatural scouting/drafting skills.

Archived