Report: Ravens Emerge as Possible Landing Spot for Decker

JetNation

30 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Of course I don't know for sure, but I don't think this is a Woody move at all.  IMO he's totally handed the reins over to Macc, and told him to get a QB, and rebuild the team no matter what it takes.  This is all going to make or break Macc's career.  if he hit's on a franchise QB in 18, he'll be a legend around here.  If he misses, his career is probbly over.

Sorry but I disagree. Seeing the reactions and answers from the press conference I think both Mac and Bowles were both disgusted with these moves. How does Bowles try to get the guys "up" for a game when the front office is yelling TANK ?  Decker is only 30. I think having him here would have been a GREAT benefit to the young receivers on the roster. Same with Harris on the D.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

I don't think no ones giving up any thing for Harris, he's old and slow (never fast), now just a two down thumper. Decker I think with the reactions of the both Bowles and Macc  was a shock to them both, I smell some Woody meddling. They could have said nothing about Decker, but they chose to say they are parting ways.

Although he's still here (yet). The Ravens makes so much sence, they may even just wait till we cut him?

Teams around the league know he's available. If they really value him and his contract then they'll trade for him. If they don't they'll wait until he gets cut and take their chances. 

15 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Sorry but I disagree. Seeing the reactions and answers from the press conference I think both Mac and Bowles were both disgusted with these moves. How does Bowles try to get the guys "up" for a game when the front office is yelling TANK ?  Decker is only 30. I think having him here would have been a GREAT benefit to the young receivers on the roster. Same with Harris on the D.

Bowles looked like somebody just spit in his drink, but then again he always does.  Macc didn't strike me at all that he was disgusted.  The fact that there was a 45 min delay before Bowles came out indicates to me that maybe he was caught off guard, and didn't really know this was going to happen at this time.  

Very, very possible that at this point Macc and Bowles are at a different level  of job security.  Bowles may feel that he has to win 6 games to keep his job.  Macc may be assured that if he gets a QB he's got a 2 year window to get competitive.  

Woody just hasn't been a Jerry Jones type.  With  very few exceptions he's done what the GM's have asked with out major interference.  Gotten the players they've wanted, and spent the money they have asked for.  Just don't see him calling the shots on player cuts.  

Saw something on FB about an hour ago that I can't find now from a radio station in DC saying the Redskins are also interested.  Another good fit for Decker.

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Saw something on FB about an hour ago that I can't find now from a radio station in DC saying the Redskins are also interested.  Another good fit for Decker.

if they have two teams interested, they may get something of value back.  Sure hope so

Just now, flgreen said:

if they have two teams interested, they may get something of value back.  Sure hope so

He's a good enough player to generate interest.  Look at the numbers he's put up playing with Tebow, Geno and Fitz.

Coisins or Flacco are both light years better than any of those guys.

Also saw some speculation today that N.O. could be interested.

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

If only dreams came true. We'll be lucky to get a 6th or 7th rounder for him. At least that's something. I hope Decker nets 1000+ yds. this year. Can't tell you how disgusted I am this week with the Decker and Harris moves. This is one of the truly lowest of the low points for me as a NYJ fan. And I've been a fan for almost 50 years.

Remember when we traded a 2nd round pick for Justin McCareins, good times..

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Especially since they lost Pierre Garcon in FA. 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

He's a good enough player to generate interest.  Look at the numbers he's put up playing with Tebow, Geno and Fitz.

Coisins or Flacco are both light years better than any of those guys.

Also saw some speculation today that N.O. could be interested.

That makes sense with Drew Breeze there. NO is in a tight window.

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

Especially since they lost Pierre Garcon in FA. 

And Deshaun Jackson too, right? If your keeping Cousins at that price you better get some guys to take the pressure off of that young Tight End they have.

I'm wondering if this trade/release of Decker is actually going to happen.

The initial report from Schefter on June 6th stated that Decker would be traded or released in the next 72 hrs - which would have been June 9th.

It's now June 11th and no trade or release has occurred.

Has anybody heard anything imminent?

The Jets have informed Eric Decker he will be traded or released by the end of the week. The Jets see the tanking 2016 Browns' 1-15 and hope to raise it to 0-16. This is a scorched-earth rebuild, one where as many parts as possible are being stripped away in hopes of getting younger, cheaper and better draft picks. Typically, when a player's release becomes preordained, they become impossible to trade, but there's a chance a Decker market develops. Now 30, Decker is one of the league's premier touchdown scorers when healthy. He's due $14.75 million over the next two seasons.

Jun 6 - 5:55 PM

12 hours ago, Dcat said:

Oh yes, the rest of the league would never have known! :rolleyes:

Actually, letting the league know that there is a chance to grab Decker for a 6th or conditional 5th or 6th, might just do the trick because any team that wants him might worry about some other team getting him if he's available as a FA?  Any team that waits for his release risks another team grabbing him and negotiating a new contract beyond 2017. 

Oh yes I forgot this is Julio Jones..

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

Oh yes I forgot this is Julio Jones..

Decker is a $7.25 million cost in 2017 and $7.5M in 2018, none of it guaranteed.  Julio Jones costs $13.9 million in 2017 guaranteed and $12.9M in 2018.  Great comparison there.  Falcons would be asking for a 1st round pick for Jones.  Jets should be asking for a 6th for Decker and accept a 7th or the Ravens can work out a deal with him which will cost guaranteed money while Decker shops himself around the league. He's worth better than a 6th but I'll be happy with anything.  

15 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

I sure am glad we announced that Decker would be released (if we could not find a trade partner). That sure increases the chances of getting something back.

Is there anything this organization does correctly?

Yes - why did this happen this way? Is this the media's fault? I've never seen a (somewhat) valuable player handled so poorly, ever. Can someone explain?

I hope the Jets do manage to get a 5th or better for Decker, so we can read all of the follow-up posts about how the other team's GM was "on a coke bender with a bunch of strippers when his phone rang" or "their owner is elderly and his dementia".

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I hope the Jets do manage to get a 5th or better for Decker, so we can read all of the follow-up posts about how the other team's GM was "on a coke bender with a bunch of strippers when his phone rang" or "their owner is elderly and his dementia".

SOJ Fans..

17 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

If only dreams came true. We'll be lucky to get a 6th or 7th rounder for him. At least that's something. I hope Decker nets 1000+ yds. this year. Can't tell you how disgusted I am this week with the Decker and Harris moves. This is one of the truly lowest of the low points for me as a NYJ fan. And I've been a fan for almost 50 years.

Im just echoing what a previous poster said. I agree, a second or third rounder would be too good to be true 

9 hours ago, Dcronin said:

Yes - why did this happen this way? Is this the media's fault? I've never seen a (somewhat) valuable player handled so poorly, ever. Can someone explain?

How do you trade a player without offering his services to other teams  ?  Once the initial discussion about a trade begin, how do you keep knowledge of it from the NFL insiders within the press ?  Once the press gets wind of a possible trade of a player, what's to stop them from speculating about the possible release of the player considering what the Jets have done this off season ?

How is it possible that Jet fans won't even give the team the benefit of the doubt about a single move the team makes  ?

18 hours ago, AFJF said:

Skins have one of the worst cap situations in the league, they would have a lot of work to do to fit Decker in under the cap -- I would think they are a longshot.

4 hours ago, Tinstar said:

How do you trade a player without offering his services to other teams  ?  Once the initial discussion about a trade begin, how do you keep knowledge of it from the NFL insiders within the press ?  Once the press gets wind of a possible trade of a player, what's to stop them from speculating about the possible release of the player considering what the Jets have done this off season ?

How is it possible that Jet fans won't even give the team the benefit of the doubt about a single move the team makes  ?

When you are attempting to sell anything, you don't open negotiations up with, "I'm throwing this away in a week anyhow, want to give something for it?"

You build your product up, and let the potential buyer think you don't really want to sell it, but will consider it if the price is right.

This was just poor business saying he'll either be cut or traded in a week. 

20 minutes ago, flgreen said:

When you are attempting to sell anything, you don't open negotiations up with, "I'm throwing this away in a week anyhow, want to give something for it?"

You build your product up, and let the potential buyer think you don't really want to sell it, but will consider it if the price is right.

To be honest, if you call around about a possible trade no-one's going to buy the line that you're not really wanting to let the player go.

By announcing it the way they did, they are looking to create a trade contest by (a) letting another team acquire him on his current deal, and (b) upping the ante that a team could potentially snag him for a low round pick. If you're GM of a team with a need at WR, how do you think your fans will feel when you don't even give up a 5th rounder for a guy like Decker, when everyone knew he was available?

25 minutes ago, flgreen said:

The Jets should Indian give that announcement and think about keeping him unless they get something decent back.  

23 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Long-time suffering fat year as well. but I respectfully disagree with your opinion that keeping Harris & Decker would have been a beneficial move. Just what would Harris and Decker have done to better the younger players? Have they ever been on Super Bowl winning teams? There are a lot of Super Bowl rings on the fingers of the coaching staff.

I've been all for this purge from day one and to me, it finally tells me that Woody had decided to stay out of the picture. Let's hope that Mac can make some right moves.

All we got to hope and pray for course is that they are the Right Moves.  keeping Harris & Decker would not have won us that many more games. Perhaps one or two more ? This is a rebuilding year let's all soak it in.

21 minutes ago, jamesr said:

To be honest, if you call around about a possible trade no-one's going to buy the line that you're not really wanting to let the player go.

By announcing it the way they did, they are looking to create a trade contest by (a) letting another team acquire him on his current deal, and (b) upping the ante that a team could potentially snag him for a low round pick. If you're GM of a team with a need at WR, how do you think your fans will feel when you don't even give up a 5th rounder for a guy like Decker, when everyone knew he was available?

You call around, and of course that indicates the player is expendable for the right price.  If you don't get that price, because this is a valuable player, you tell them you will keep him.

Once you say "we're cutting him either way," the player has almost no value.  That is just basic 101 stadgedy in any type of deal, or sale.  NEVER devalue your product

Just now, flgreen said:

You call around, and of course that indicates the player is expendable for the right price.  If you don't get that price, because this is a valuable player, you tell them you will keep him.

Once you say "we're cutting him either way, the player has almost no value.  That is just basic 101 stadgedy in any type of deal, or sale.  NEVER devalue your product

But the "cutting" comment can - potentially - spark a team into action. There's a short timeline to offer something up, or risk losing him to someone else. Fear Of Missing Out can be a motivator in a deal ... if there was no such deadline teams would more likely hold off and hope we'd lower our price.

Just now, jamesr said:

But the "cutting" comment can - potentially - spark a team into action. There's a short timeline to offer something up, or risk losing him to someone else. Fear Of Missing Out can be a motivator in a deal ... if there was no such deadline teams would more likely hold off and hope we'd lower our price.

Got to disagree.  Telling them clandestinely that you might have another interested party, but you want to give them a chance to bit for some reason, like "your in the NFC, the other party is in the AFC" is much more likely to spark action, then letting them know he'll be a FA in a week.  Nobody is going to pay for something they can get for free.  

it certainly wasn't a forgone conclusion the Jets were going to cut Decker.  i honestly thought he would hang around as the vet, and go to guy for who ever is going to be the QB 

Just now, flgreen said:

Got to disagree.  Telling them clandestinely that you might have another interested party, but you want to give them a chance to bit for some reason, like "your in the NFC, the other party is in the AFC" is much more likely to spark action, then letting them know he'll be a FA in a week.  Nobody is going to pay for something they can get for free.  

it certainly wasn't a forgone conclusion the Jets were going to cut Decker.  i honestly thought he would hang around as the vet, and go to guy for who ever is going to be the QB 

I'd question the "get for free" comment - firstly, if cut, Decker gets a say in where he ends up, and you may end up overpaying in salary / bonus for the saving of a (low) draft pick. Secondly if another team offers up even a conditional 7th, you won't get a shot at getting him for free. And third, as a free agent you need to pony up a new deal. That'll be more $$$ than under his current one more than likely.

Like I said, have to disagree with you.

BTW if you have an elite piece of distressed property you want to dump in Florida for some reason like back taxes.  Shoot me a PM, tell me how badly you need to dump it.  I'm sure we can do some kind of deal on the swamp. :)

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Did the Jets say that or did the media say the Jets said that  ?   It's Past the time that the Jets supposedly said they would release Decker and he's still on the roster so who do you believe ?  Most Jet fans hate the media except when the media post a story that aligns with what they feelings are about the team and those associated with the team . 

36 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Like I said, have to disagree with you.

BTW if you have an elite piece of distressed property you want to dump in Florida for some reason like back taxes.  Shoot me a PM, tell me how badly you need to dump it.  I'm sure we can do some kind of deal on the swamp. :)

One could interpret that last statement as someone offering their services as a cleaner if one had that mindset .

Archived