Jamal Adams shines again as Jets conclude minicamp

Marshmello

29 minutes ago, Larz said:

If he was a jet the word would be a daily tally of his picks and a criticism of his footwork 

Yup, and the board would be obsessed with this:

DeAndre Hopkins: Tom Savage has “earned” starting quarterback job

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/14/deandre-hopkins-tom-savage-has-earned-starting-quarterback-job/

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adams was the player I wanted the most out of this draft, like the Jets themselves I was shocked that he fell to us and just kept repeating his name HOPING the Jets would pick him until it was called.

This is for real, this man is gonna be everything he was advertised to be. He's a great athlete for sure, but its all those qualities in his head that will make him great. Jump on the bandwagon early and buy that 33 jersey without fear jets fans, Mac took an easy lay-up again.

3 hours ago, Jet Blast said:

I'm not ready to anoint him anything yet. But I think it's safe at this point to say he will be a good player.

He probably will be.  WIll he be as good facing Tom Brady instead of facing Petty?  I dunno but it's a safe bet Adams won't be as sh_tty as Pryor

6 hours ago, Marshmello said:

Was listening  to Francesa earlier. He said Adams will be an All-Pro player in a year or so, be the leader of the defense by the end of the year.  I know it's not saying much coming from him, but I'll take it.  Really looking forward watching Adams play this year. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/06/jamal_adams_again_shines_as_jets_conclude_minicamp.html#incart_river_index

By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Rookie safety Jamal Adams again stepped up in a big way for the Jets as the team wrapped up minicamp on Thursday. 

New York Jets OTA, 5-23-17 
Summer vacation is underway

FLORHAM PARK — These are padless, no-contact practices in June; a learning experience for most everyone on the field at One Jets Drive. Observations and takeaways at this stage in the NFL season are pointless. 

But it's becoming awfully hard to temper the hype around Jets rookie safety Jamal Adams.  

A day after his highlight-reel interception, Adams flashed his football acumen on Thursday. On the first set of team drills, he sprinted to the line from his safety spot just as the offense set. He began screaming out commands to his teammates, diagraming the play he believed was coming.

The play began moments later. The offense ran exactly what Adams predicted. The defense had things perfectly covered. Sheldon Richardson came in for a sack.

"I recognized it all from film study," Adams told NJ Advance Media after practice at his locker. "It was fun, but I'm nowhere near where I want to be yet. I want to know the play once they break the huddle." 

Adams is well on his way. 

What else happened at the Jets' final minicamp workout? Here's our practice report. 

John Munson | NJ Advance Media

The walking wounded

There were no new additions to the walking wounded. Tackle Ben Ijalana (knee), cornerback Jeremy Clark (knee), receiver ArDarius Stewart (groin/thumb), receiver Chad Hansen (knee), receiver Quincy Enunwa (shoulder/neck), receiver Gabe Marks (unknown), guard Brian Winters (shoulder) and linebacker Corey Lemonier (quad) all sat out. 

There was one slight change to Stewart, though. We received more clarity on his injury groin and thumb — both of which required surgery. Stewart injured his thumb at rookie camp. His groin was an underlying issue from college. When Stewart had thumb surgery, the Jets decided to get his groin fixed, too, coach Todd Bowles said. 

Returners and kickers

The Jets again worked the punt team on Thursday. Running back Romar Morris, receiver Chris Harper, running back Bobby Rainey (tryout), receiver Dexter McCluster (tryout), receiver Frankie Hammond and receiver Willie Quinn (tryout) took reps. One notable absence? Eli McGuire. Not sure why he wasn't there 

In the kicking gauntlet, Chandler Catanzaro went a perfect six-for-six with a long of 61 yards. Ross Martin went four of five. He missed a kick from 51, but hit 57.  

The starting offense

I kept an eye on who worked where with the starters. It was tough to get an incredibly accurate read because most starters sat after the first set of team drills. After two lengthy practices Wednesday and Thursday, Bowles called things after 1.5 hours. 

Quarterback: Josh McCown
Running back: Matt Forte, Bilal Powell 
Receivers: Charone Peake, Jalin Marshall, Robby Anderson 
Offensive line: Brandon Shell (RT), Brent Qvale (RG), Wesley Johsnon (C), Dakota Dozier (RG), Jeff Adams (RT)

Some notes here: Kelvin Beachum didn't practice much, likely a rest day. Brian Winters (RG) also sat. It's impossible to get a read on the receivers since Quincy Enunwa, ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen didn't practice. 

It's been a longggggg f*cking time since we've had a kicker with a leg like Chandler's.  I really liked that signing.  

11 hours ago, thadude said:

He probably will be.  WIll he be as good facing Tom Brady instead of facing Petty?  I dunno but it's a safe bet Adams won't be as sh_tty as Pryor

To be fair, just like Brady, he desires to know the play before the other team runs it. 

33 minutes ago, section314 said:

Friendly wager......both Adams and Hack will have far superior NFL careers than Watson.

I have no problem with Hackenberg.  I was actually one of the few who liked him prior to the draft last year, and was happy when we took him. 

But still, you don't have a QB until you KNOW that you have one. And if you don't know that you have one, then QB should be THE priority in the draft until you find one. The NFL's current brand of football is no longer the quintessential team sport. Safeties, corners, D-Linemen, RBs, etc are all nice to have. But without a QB in this league, you have no chance to succeed.

Jamal Adams may turn into a great player. But without a QB picking him was a waste of valuable draft capital. To quote another poster on here who put it perfectly after we selected Adams: "Before the first round, we were a team that can't score. Now we're a team that can't score, with a safety."

3 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I have no problem with Hackenberg.  I was actually one of the few who liked him prior to the draft last year, and was happy when we took him. 

But still, you don't have a QB until you KNOW that you have one. And if you don't know that you have one, then QB should be THE priority in the draft until you find one. The NFL's current brand of football is no longer the quintessential team sport. Safeties, corners, D-Linemen, RBs, etc are all nice to have. But without a QB in this league, you have no chance to succeed.

Jamal Adams may turn into a great player. But without a QB picking him was a waste of valuable draft capital. To quote another poster on here who put it perfectly after we selected Adams: "Before the first round, we were a team that can't score. Now we're a team that can't score, with a safety."

I agree.But the plan is to rebuild this year.  Hope Hack develops, if not land one of the higher rated QB prospects next year. I am sure if they had Watson graded high they would have taken him. I am sure if other teams had Watson graded high, they would have jumped up to take Watson. But instead Watson fell to 12. You don't see elite QB prospects like Peyton/Luck/Cam etc.. drop to 12. You see questionable guys fall to 12. We already have a questionable guy in Hack. 

Does watson have a better chance of success? Sure. He is on a better team and is probably a better all around QB. But that doesn't make him too good to pass up when you have a guy like Adams fall in your lap and you are likely going to be in position to draft an even better prospect in 2018. 

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I agree.But the plan is to rebuild this year.  Hope Hack develops, if not land one of the higher rated QB prospects next year. I am sure if they had Watson graded high they would have taken him. I am sure if other teams had Watson graded high, they would have jumped up to take Watson. But instead Watson fell to 12. You don't see elite QB prospects like Peyton/Luck/Cam etc.. drop to 12. You see questionable guys fall to 12. We already have a questionable guy in Hack. 

Does watson have a better chance of success? Sure. He is on a better team and is probably a better all around QB. But that doesn't make him too good to pass up when you have a guy like Adams fall in your lap and you are likely going to be in position to draft an even better prospect in 2018. 

QB always trumps safety when you don't currently have one. It doesn't matter if Adams is the next Ronnie Lott, the team is stuck in neutral until they have a QB. Regardless of what they think of Hack (and I sure hope he ends up being the guy), but until you know for sure that you have a QB, finding one is the ONLY priority. Nothing else matters. They could have taken Watson, and still could pick one next year. Despite all of its flaws, the one good thing about the current CBA is that you can now afford to keep picking QBs every year. Having a first round bust QB isn't the 5+ year purgatory sentence it used to be.

28 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

QB always trumps safety when you don't currently have one. It doesn't matter if Adams is the next Ronnie Lott, the team is stuck in neutral until they have a QB. Regardless of what they think of Hack (and I sure hope he ends up being the guy), but until you know for sure that you have a QB, finding one is the ONLY priority. Nothing else matters. They could have taken Watson, and still could pick one next year. Despite all of its flaws, the one good thing about the current CBA is that you can now afford to keep picking QBs every year. Having a first round bust QB isn't the 5+ year purgatory sentence it used to be.

Where as I agree with you that QB is by far the most important position in football, I've got to disagree that passing on a potential Pro Bowl S to select a QB your scouting staff is telling you won't be a starter in the league makes much sense.  Particularly when you have 2 young QB's on the team that you invested draft capital in, and haven't been able to get them reps.   

40 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Yeah, QB is important but you're assuming the scouts like Watson. Just because he was in a great team and performed well in a big game doesn't make him an NFL caliber qb. 

It would be negligent for a GM to draft a QB solely because we need one abd not because he was a first round talent.

50 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Where as I agree with you that QB is by far the most important position in football, I've got to disagree that passing on a potential Pro Bowl S to select a QB your scouting staff is telling you won't be a starter in the league makes much sense.  Particularly when you have 2 young QB's on the team that you invested draft capital in, and haven't been able to get them reps.   

Ill add to that.  When you are going into a rebuild year, you go BPA(some would say always). If it is a position of strength on your team you have to take that into account. Also, if you dont have any of the QBs graded as potential starters you pass, especially when the following year after a year 1 rebuild is touted as the best crop of QBs in decades.  Ill even take it a step further, if we think we have a starter in Petty or Hack, you still take a QB if he has the franchise QB ceiling regardless.  

Just my $0.02

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

So in your opinion, NFL Teams should continually use every first round pick they have on QBs until they find one, regardless of where the scouts and GM rate that QB? 

Ill focus only on safety, for the sake of keeping this as simple as possible for you.

When seattle took earl thomas, the next 2 QBs on the board (Bradford went 1 overall) were Jimmy Clausen and Tim Tebow. (their qb was matt hasselback who threw 17 ints and 17 tds)  Are they better off with Thomas anchoring their secondary when they finally found Wilson 2 years later?  Would wilson have won a SB if they didnt have earl thomas on that team?

When Baltimore took Ed Reed, should they have instead take patrick ramsey or david garrard?  (Their QB the year before was Elvis Grbac)  Did their safety help them win a SB?

The draft is about taking calculated risks.  No one on earth is saying that a great QB isnt better then a great Safety.  But when there odds of hitting on a QB like Watson/Mahomes is 10-20% at best and the odds of Adams being an excellent player (which the entire league and draft community felt) is 75%+ then you take the position player. Otherwise you keep picking bad QBs and if you do hit on one eventually, they have no team around them to be successful.

Only this board could people be complaining about the Adams pick at this point, when so far its an unequivocal slam dunk.

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

True but if Adams plays like Ronnie Lott? I can tape the games, fast forward commercials and our offense and watch the defense. Not a bad way to wait to draft a QB next year. Loved Ronnine Lott!

18 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

QB > safety

Unless the Jets stink enough in 2017 to draft a top QB in 2018, they might end up regretting picking Adams if any of the QB's drafted in 2017  become anything, no matter how good Adams is.

LMAO. So Adams will be compared to all 10 QBs taken before/after him and if any 1 of them become good MAcc is a moron even if Adams is a pro bowler? Gotcha

I love it when people say things like QB> Safety, as if we all don't already know that. The question is whether the QBs available to you at the time you select are worthy of being selected ahead of the talent available at other positions. 

Let's go back to 2013 draft. And let's pretend the Jets had Leveon Bell Graded as a much higher valued prospect than the QBS remaining (Geno Smith/Glennon/Barkley/Nassib/Sorensen). It's our turn to pick at 39.  Who do you take?  

33 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

LMAO. So Adams will be compared to all 10 QBs taken before/after him and if any 1 of them become good MAcc is a moron even if Adams is a pro bowler? Gotcha

I love it when people say things like QB> Safety, as if we all don't already know that. The question is whether the QBs available to you at the time you select are worthy of being selected ahead of the talent available at other positions. 

When you pass on 2 QB's who eventually get drafted in the top 12 (Watson and Mahomes)  to take a safety when you desperately need a QB, you better believe that there will be comparisons. 

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

So in your opinion, NFL Teams should continually use every first round pick they have on QBs until they find one, regardless of where the scouts and GM rate that QB? 

Ill focus only on safety, for the sake of keeping this as simple as possible for you.

When seattle took earl thomas, the next 2 QBs on the board (Bradford went 1 overall) were Jimmy Clausen and Tim Tebow. (their qb was matt hasselback who threw 17 ints and 17 tds)  Are they better off with Thomas anchoring their secondary when they finally found Wilson 2 years later?  Would wilson have won a SB if they didnt have earl thomas on that team?

When Baltimore took Ed Reed, should they have instead take patrick ramsey or david garrard?  (Their QB the year before was Elvis Grbac)  Did their safety help them win a SB?

The draft is about taking calculated risks.  No one on earth is saying that a great QB isnt better then a great Safety.  But when there odds of hitting on a QB like Watson/Mahomes is 10-20% at best and the odds of Adams being an excellent player (which the entire league and draft community felt) is 75%+ then you take the position player. Otherwise you keep picking bad QBs and if you do hit on one eventually, they have no team around them to be successful.

Only this board could people be complaining about the Adams pick at this point, when so far its an unequivocal slam dunk.

The problem is you're discounting the fact that the QB position has a greater weighted value than anything else.  

The safety can be a once in a generation player at his position. A QB prospect that's considered above average, or good, has a higher value. You can survive as a team without a good safety.  You're dead in the water without a QB. 

This is why teams reach in the first round for QBs every year. It's the reason why a team trades up for the second overall pick to select Mitch Trubisky while Jamal Adams falls into our lap at #6. Adams is a better prospect at his position than Trubisky is at his. But the position Trubisky plays is so much more important that he's more valuable.

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

Nicely done

39 minutes ago, Larz said:

This kid will be the undisputed most popular player on this team by Halloween 

Bullsh*t, he'll be the face of our franchise by tomorrow! In fact he's already the face of the Jets! Has been since Draft Day! Maybe before that!

Archived