The Jets have the worst roster in football and Buster Skrine is the worst.

T0mShane

59 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i think everyone knows that bowles and maccagnan got here two seasons ago.  the thing that perplexes people is how a team that finished 10-6 could do so poorly the following season without any real injury issues.  oh i guess you can talk about brick retiring or wilk not being ready or clady being injured and so on but by and large the jets didn't have a whole ton of injuries.  so while i get the whole part that whatever went on last season is owned by the coach i'm willing to see what happens.  as for mac,  except for the revis contract there weren't any that really impacted future cap space.  and even though people say he overpaid for some of the free agents i think i would just direct them to a listing of the most underpaid vets on every team.  i think some of those underpaid player salaries are pretty darn high and the jets players except for revis are in line.  i think i would rather be hopeful that bowles turns it around than launching him and hoping the next guy is better.

Very few are "perplexed."  Obviously you are though.

The 10-6 season was a mirage caused by a soft schedule and a career year from a journeyman QB. 

What I find perplexing is how anyone in their right mind thinks that the ceiling for this team is higher than 4 wins.  The Jets are going 2-14.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rangerous said:

consider the source.  i don't necessarily think of this jets roster as world beaters but with the right coaching and commitment to play execution they could be just as good as any team.  there on big question mark is at qb but it's not like they didn't have this problem in 2014 or at any point when chaddy went down with this injury or that.  and sanchez started as a rookie. they need get over it and put hack or petty in a position to win and things will fall into place pretty fast. the main point is other teams have gone into training camp without a set qb and have done pretty well.

Not be a prick but Bowles lost this team last year. I know the "malcontents" are gone but a guy with the ability to get guys to play for him rarely loses a team even with malcontents on it. Look at all the dysfunctional teams that have succeeded and even won Championships. I'm sorry but if it was any other guy coaching this team I might agree with you. Unless Bowles becomes Lombardi I just don't see it.

2 hours ago, HessStation said:

It's always hard for me to judge bc anytime I watch a non Jet football game every secondary gets torched. I just wonder how much is it the way the game and rules bend now vs an individual player. Not saying Skrine has been good but the secondary was such a mess it's a little hard to judge.

You're missing the crucial fact that Buster Skrine is bad at playing cornerback in the NFL.

But yes a lot of secondaries get torched, we got used to seeing Revis play for the majority of a decade and were shielded from that. 

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

You're missing the crucial fact that Buster Skrine is bad at playing cornerback in the NFL.

He's been an above average SLOT cornerback.

Seems like so much piling on here...no surprise there I suppose.

19 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

You've been trained to believe that. He's actually just bad.

I disagree because, you know, I've seen him play and I've seen Kyle Wilson play. So, I kinda know bad from above average.

You've been trained to make negative inflammatory statements without substantiating them because you need to follow the other negative idiots.

I'm not singling you out here, but this has been the most fascinating theme of this offseason: the idea that Maccagnan and Bowles got here a half hour ago, as if they're unknown quantities. Like we don't know that Maccagnan is entirely capable of wasting vast amounts of cap space; that he's lost every deal he's tried to negotiate; that what's happening exactly at this moment is part of some plan that he supposedly laid out the second he took the job. 

Typical Woody overcorrection. Loudmouth Rex fails? Bring in low energy Bowles. Open-the-vault Tanny in run out of town? Get Scrooge McIdzik. Billboards? Back to sign-anything Macc.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, phill1c said:

I disagree because, you know, I've seen him play and I've seen Kyle Wilson play. So, I kinda know bad from above average.

You've been trained to make negative inflammatory statements without substantiating them because you need to follow the other negative idiots.

Oh my bad. Is it his 2 interceptions, 13 Pass defenses and 1 sack in two seasons that's been above average? Is it that one time he got a Gruden grinder award? Is it that PFF has him consistently graded as a bottom third of the league CB? After this season Skrine would have been contracted for 3 years $19 Million, does his output feel like good value to you?

Hypothetical question for those who believe we have the worst roster in the league ... 

If we don't finish with the first overall pick, does this mean that our coaches have done a really good job of getting more out of the roster than anyone expected?

9 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Not be a prick but Bowles lost this team last year. I know the "malcontents" are gone but a guy with the ability to get guys to play for him rarely loses a team even with malcontents on it. Look at all the dysfunctional teams that have succeeded and even won Championships. I'm sorry but if it was any other guy coaching this team I might agree with you. Unless Bowles becomes Lombardi I just don't see it.

parcells didn't exactly start out on fire.  he was chummy with his defensive players and they failed.  he learned from that experience. i think people need to give bowles a chance to coach a team where he doesn't have to put shelly into a lb slot because he doesn't have a better player or play revis when it's clear he's on the downside of his career or put up with pryor and gilchrist at safety.  and miles isn't any great shakes either.

i think when people make the blanket statement that he lost the team the response should be according to whom?  the talking heads like cimini or mehta or costello etc?  or maybe it was shelly? marshall?  consider the source.  sometimes events beyond one's control overwhelms.  i have my own theory as to why they didn't play well but it can't be stated in this forum.  and this is his team now.  if he fails he fails and should be booted. we'll see soon enough.  the one thing i do know is having a revolving door at hc isn't going to solve this team's problems.

31 minutes ago, rangerous said:

parcells didn't exactly start out on fire.  he was chummy with his defensive players and they failed.  he learned from that experience. i think people need to give bowles a chance to coach a team where he doesn't have to put shelly into a lb slot because he doesn't have a better player or play revis when it's clear he's on the downside of his career or put up with pryor and gilchrist at safety.  and miles isn't any great shakes either.

i think when people make the blanket statement that he lost the team the response should be according to whom?  the talking heads like cimini or mehta or costello etc?  or maybe it was shelly? marshall?  consider the source.  sometimes events beyond one's control overwhelms.  i have my own theory as to why they didn't play well but it can't be stated in this forum.  and this is his team now.  if he fails he fails and should be booted. we'll see soon enough.  the one thing i do know is having a revolving door at hc isn't going to solve this team's problems.

Though I agree with you to some extent. Can you really look at the way this team performed against Indianapolis or Arizona and tell me that they didn't quit? They gave up in those games and that came from the veterans and Bowles failed to stymie that out by being a leader. 

Can't argue with the Jets having the worst roster in the league, or Skrine being their worst starter. Little surprised that the secondary is listed as the major weakness over QB, though.   

They're so young and inexperienced, though, they could surprise here or there. I suspect that they will - just enough to miss out on the QB they need. 

13 hours ago, varjet said:

The secondary  will be better than people think.

I don't see how that's possible, seeing how many people have already tabbed Claiborne as a reliable starter, Adams and Maye as insta-goodies, and Burris as a solid number 2 corner after all those #flashes as a rookie. The best they can do is meet these expectations. Better than people think would mean 2-3 of them are all pro this year.

14 hours ago, phill1c said:

In saying he's above average, by using the lone example of being better than Kyle Wilson, you're inferring Kyle Wilson is average.

14 hours ago, rangerous said:

consider the source.

The "source" is a website that attempts to look at every play of every game and grade players objectively based on their performance, using algorithms only a few people on this board are capable of understanding.

What is there to "consider", exactly?

21 hours ago, JiF said:

The good thing is, Skrine is really stepping up and taking on more of a leadership role, which is nice.

Yeah he should get a trophy. When you're tanking, the smelliest turd in the pillow case is your best player.

Based on this article what will we say if the Jets win 5 games this year with the consensus worst roster in the NFL ?

Who will everyone say did a good job?

Or will we say Bowles is awful because the team could have won even more with another HC at the helm? :) 

23 hours ago, T0mShane said:

After they spent this offseason stripping their roster of veterans, as part of a get-youngerrebuilding process, that is a legitimate question.

ESPN and Pro Football Focus have ranked every NFL roster for 2017.

And the Jets do indeed check in at No. 32 -- dead last.

The Rams, 49ers, and Browns are the three teams in front of the Jets, with the Rams checking in at No. 31.

The Falcons, Patriots, and Titans have the three best rosters in the NFL for 2017, according to these rankings.

Here's why PFF put the Jets dead last:

Biggest strength: Leonard Williams , the No. 6 overall pick in 2015, is already one of the league's top defensive linemen. He played all over the line for the Jets last season, posting 55 pressures. His 48 defensive stops trailed only Damon Harrison among interior defenders.

Biggest weakness: The Jets' secondary remains an issue. New York will likely rely on two rookies to start at safety, and there are no standouts at cornerback.

By the numbers: Josh McCown, who is leading the Jets' quarterback competition by default, completed just 36.2 percent of his passes under pressure in 2016. Bryce Petty wasn't much better at 48.5 percent. Second-year player Christian Hackenberg never got on the field in 2016 but could get a shot this season.

PFF rated defensive end Leonard Williams as the Jets' best starter and cornerback Buster Skrine as the team's worst starter.

Possible Jets 2018 free agent targets

What do you think about the Jets being ranked 32nd? Agree? Disagree? Make your voice heard in the comments section.

Darryl Slater may be reached atdslater@njadvancemedia.com . Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater . Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook .You 

Pro Football Focus? Seriously?

Skrine isn't a bad player per se, but he gets asked to do unrealistic things on this crappy team.  He's not really meant to start on the outside against the bigger WRs in the league.  He can cover the smaller, shifty guys pretty well, though.  He did a decent job against Odell Beckham in 2015.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The "source" is a website that attempts to look at every play of every game and grade players objectively based on their performance, using algorithms only a few people on this board are capable of understanding.

What is there to "consider", exactly?

I think "consider" if one doesn't like the message then shrug off the messenger as being less credible than an obviously-biased fan who watches just one team that closely (as do 99% of fans), and does so without tallying plus and minus plays from every individual player every season.

Consider that. Bitch.

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In saying he's above average, by using the example of being better than Kyle Wilson, you're inferring Kyle Wilson is average.

Yeah, I can see how you could read it that way. Unfortunately, I don't employ an editor for my posts. There's no budget for one.

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

Yeah, I can see how you could read it that way. Unfortunately, I don't employ and editor for my posts. There's no budget for one.

While technically possible, I don't see any evidence to suggest that the majority of NBs in the NFL are measurably worse than Skrine. At best, it seems you're measuring him up against other Jets corners whose domain is covering the slot receiver. That doesn't therefore make him better than most.

Also it goes without saying that, either by poor decision or by necessity, he's not the only player in the league that isn't used at his theoretically-ideal position. Yet in forming this line of defense on his behalf, Skrine alone is given this asterisk benefit of the doubt. That is the weakness of this type of rationalization. 

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

Skrine isn't a bad player per se, but he gets asked to do unrealistic things on this crappy team.  He's not really meant to start on the outside against the bigger WRs in the league.  He can cover the smaller, shifty guys pretty well, though.  He did a decent job against Odell Beckham in 2015.

Bowles is ruining him

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

Didn't they say the same thing a couple years back and the Jets won 10 games?

And before that they said it and the Jets won 8 games...

I think that's why the play the games.

We had much better offensive and defensive lines both seasons.  Fitz and Geno are also better quarterbacks than the trash we have now

Archived