QB Rotation for the Giants Game

JetsFanatic

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josh Johnson received the first shot in the preseason opener, followed by Geno Smith and Davis Webb. Johnson and Smith have alternated days working with the second and third-team offenses throughout training camp.

Based on the rotation this summer, it's likely that Smith gets on the field Monday night before Johnson. Whether Webb gets into the game seems to depend on how it all unfolds. McAdoo does not appear intent on favoring the rookies in order to get them more reps in game action.

So looks like we might get to see a Geno vs. Petty Third Quarter shootout!

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

If you think about it, if you line up all the teams without a franchise quarterback we've actually had it pretty good for the past 20 years:

Testaverde brings restored pride...leads to...
The hope of Pennington and some success...leads to...
The flash of Favre...leads to...
The hope of Sanchez...leads to...playoff success and...
The hope of Geno...leads to...
The surprise of Fitzpatrick.

Before this season, every August for the past 20 years as a Jets fans you've either had a proven guy you believed in or a newb who had some promise.  This is the first year in half our lives as fans or, in some cases like my kids, ever that there has been no hope at the QB position going into a new season.

SAR I

I completely disagree, last year I had less hope for the QB position then this year!

I'd like to see McCown get enough series to result in at least 25+ plays on offense.  Then I would like to see Hack get a series or two while the Giants starters are in there.  If the Giants plan to play starters into the 3rd Quarter then maybe Hack takes overs in the 2nd half?

(Yes, I do realize it could take the Jets at least 8-9 series to get McCown 25+ offensive plays. :P )

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

Should be the same as last weeks. Maybe a series for McCown. 

Guys...Hack is starting the season. Can't wait to see what these hacks write up when it's announced. 

I'm not saying it's impossible, BUT I'd be shocked if Bowles announced Hackenberg as the starting QB, and even more shocked if he does it on his own accord.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I'm not saying it's impossible, BUT I'd be shocked if Bowles announced Hackenberg as the starting QB, and even more shocked if he does it on his own accord.

There is just no viable reason to have McCown play at all this season. The whole staff has to know this, they've had to discuss this before the season started when they started purging this roster. 

7 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

There is just no viable reason to have McCown play at all this season. The whole staff has to know this, they've had to discuss this before the season started when they started purging this roster. 

Why do you believe they need a "viable" reason?

41 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

If, on Monday, they announce Hackenberg is starting any games that count the Jets will quit on the season before the season starts. Sheldon Richardson will play the season wearing a pair of beach sandals.

I heard Bowltite asked TB if he could borrow Fitz to play Saturday but they told him no, he was in charge of the pre game BBQ

Who cares who plays at this point? My only hope is whoever does play does not get killed, decapitated, or maimed behind that joke they call an OL.

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

looks like woody is still pulling some strings from across the pond.

Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)

8/21/17, 5:56 PM

#Jets owner Woody Johnson was sworn in as UK Ambassador, so brother Christopher Johnson has assumed the role of team CEO.

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Yes there is. McCown w/his experience allows the Jets to get the other O players comfortable in the new system w/the lights on. 

Then come say week 4,6,8 Hack or Petty can take over and not have to deal with trying to coach 10 players in the huddles/line. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If, on Monday, they announce Hackenberg is starting any games that count the Jets will quit on the season before the season starts. Sheldon Richardson will play the season wearing a pair of beach sandals.

Richardson's in his contract year.  He doesn't care if they march T0mShane out there, he's going balls to the wall.  He said it himself "Contract year, gotta get the stats".  You don't get no Ho's unless ya got dough

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Yes there is. McCown w/his experience allows the Jets to get the other O players comfortable in the new system w/the lights on. 

Then come say week 4,6,8 Hack or Petty can take over and not have to deal with trying to coach 10 players in the huddles/line. 

So after 4-6 weeks it'll be smooth sailing for Hack or Petty since they'll all be nice and comfy at that point? 

It's like you're trying to make everything perfect, either they'll succeed or they won't. Let them play already. 

7 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

So after 4-6 weeks it'll be smooth sailing for Hack or Petty since they'll all be nice and comfy at that point? 

It's like you're trying to make everything perfect, either they'll succeed or they won't. Let them play already. 

Yep, don't care which one, but let one of the kids play.  I really don't give a crap about the 2 extra games McCown might win .  if there's a soft spot in the Jets' schedule, it might be the first 4 weeks, let one of the kids have a crack at it.

I completely disagree, last year I had less hope for the QB position then this year!

Not me. Fitzpatrick had just set a bunch of Jets records and had a good crop of receivers. Things look much more grim this year. I hope I'm proven wrong because if we have a half-decent offense we could win some games.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, fusionCA said:

never seen a team draft so many awful QB's and let them start , you think by luck somehow they will get it right sometime 

Maybe the infrastructure, lack of quality offensive coaching, complete lack of offensive playmakers, lack of talent on OL, lack of patience and pussy defensive minded coaches has not allowed the QBs we drafted to have a chance at developing?

As an organization our whole philosophy has been completely upside down

24 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Didn't say that. Sorry if I'm not explaining it clearer. 

It really doesn't make much sense to play McCown for a lot of reasons. For example, let's say you play McCown and he gets hurt week 2. Then Hack comes in and struggles for the next 4 weeks. You may have no one to turn to at that point. I know many are impressed with Pettys last outing - but that was against guys Matt Simms once looked great against. If you go with Hack and he struggles for multiple weeks at least you can put McCown out there for a game or two. Then go back to Hack if you feel comfortable with him again.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

McCown should absolutely just be here for teaching, mentoring,and insurance. Petty should start Week 1, as he was not given a fair shot in his starts last year, which consisted of a team that had already quit on the year.

There's no reason to rush Hackenberg. He's made improvements, but he's not ready and might not be until mid season or next year. Give Petty the starts. If he fails, then put in Hackenberg and give him regular season experience that he can build off of through the off season.

Archived