QB Rotation for the Giants Game

JetsFanatic

Interesting decision for Bowles.  McCown has played only 1 series in the first two preseason games.  He is the presumed starter, as such, he should get the lions share of the snaps against the Giants as he will not play in week 4.  However, given the Jets expectations for this season, perhaps rather than McCown they should start either Hackenberg or Petty for one final test to see if either can be the starter this season. Any thoughts on how they will go?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To ensure success of our franchise moving forward, I think it's brilliant for Bowles to limit the week 1 regular season's starter to negligible in-game experience with the first team offense. This defense is capable of keeping us in some games and McCown is also capable of falling ass-backwards into a win given the proper scenario. Makes sense to limit McCown's success, hasten Hack getting the start and then losing out to snag a top pick. 

The rotation for the Giants game should be McCown, Petty and Hack if the game allows .  The rotation for the Eagles game should be Hack and then Petty with Mccown sitting the game out . At least that's how I would do it if I had anything to do with it . Also, based on how this offensive line has performed, everyone who's scheduled to start plays the whole game against the Giants and the Eagles  . We have no more time for platooning .

I'm not sure what McCown has done to be the automatic starter. From what I understand in camp it has been pretty close. Doesn't a close battle go to the kid you want to see is your franchise QB? I would think giving Hack a full week of prep and seeing what he can do against the Giants would be the smart decision.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Play McCown a half, Petty q3 and Hack q4.

Petty deserves more/better playing time reps.  the other offensive starters should play Q3.  That will show us Petty against a real defense.  Then let Hack with the rest of the guys to see if he can look as good as Petty playing against the same type of guy.

It's gotta be McCown if he really is the starter.  The 3rd preseason game is the "dress rehearsal."  However, I wouldn't mind Petty being the starter personally at this point.  McCown gives them the best chance to avoid 0-16 but Petty has way more upside if he figures it out mentally.

Based on what I saw in the last game no way should Hackenberg be allowed to start.

10 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Interesting decision for Bowles.  McCown has played only 1 series in the first two preseason games.  He is the presumed starter, as such, he should get the lions share of the snaps against the Giants as he will not play in week 4.  However, given the Jets expectations for this season, perhaps rather than McCown they should start either Hackenberg or Petty for one final test to see if either can be the starter this season. Any thoughts on how they will go?

Good post, my plan would be:

1st Quarter - McCown
2nd Quarter - Hackenberg
3rd Quarter - Hackenberg
4th Quarter - Petty

That would give McCown prep work for BUF and it would allow us to see
Hackenberg against #1's one more time

What a mess.  What a sh!t show.  Our HC starts 3 of 5 second string OL with Hack, Hack gets clobbered, run game stalls, and that was Hack's big start opportunity.  This time around it's Petty who looked good vs the scrubs.  None the less, it ought to be one of these two going forward.  McGown need not ought not be the de facto starter.  

It's just another in a series of omg moments to realize that Sanchez has been the best QB this team has fielded since Farve.    

26 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Hack was shafted. y someone that played a piecemeal OL ... unless that is all we got at OL ! emoji55.png

I'm afraid that is all we got at OL, no wonder McClown don't want to start. Maybe Sheldon should see time under center. Might need a big fill-in body to absorb punishment late in games...smh.

36 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Hack was shafted. y someone that played a piecemeal OL ... unless that is all we got at OL ! emoji55.png

well it's preseason.  the games are meaningless and so is what we see on the field.  teams aren't going to show all they got.  still it woud've been nice to see hack hit some long passes and the oline look like they can block a pass rush.  and they really need to get their starters on the field at the same time.

11 hours ago, dbatesman said:

McCown gets the first three quarters, Petty gets mop-up duty, Hackenberg goes back into the carbonite.

This.

And Petty gets the 1st series in Game 4 and Hackenberg plays the rest of the game.  Until the OL gets him injured.  Then Petty comes back in.

SAR I

I would like to see Petty with the 1's - no harm in McCown missing the dress rehearsal this year - seems like they have the tank down, no need for additional practice or to risk injury - we at least want to have a few games in the regular season where the Jets look somewhat like a pro team, once they get a few injuries it will get ugly

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

It's just another in a series of omg moments to realize that Sanchez has been the best QB this team has fielded since Farve.    

If you think about it, if you line up all the teams without a franchise quarterback we've actually had it pretty good for the past 20 years:

Testaverde brings restored pride...leads to...
The hope of Pennington and some success...leads to...
The flash of Favre...leads to...
The hope of Sanchez...leads to...playoff success and...
The hope of Geno...leads to...
The surprise of Fitzpatrick.

Before this season, every August for the past 20 years as a Jets fans you've either had a proven guy you believed in or a newb who had some promise.  This is the first year in half our lives as fans or, in some cases like my kids, ever that there has been no hope at the QB position going into a new season.

SAR I

I would presume mccown will get at least the entire first quarter. It will be interesting to see if hack or petty will be the #2 guy in. I would hope we can at least see a semblance of functional football, an offensive TD would be nice too. If the regular season turns into a long string of 3 and outs it won't be worth watching at all. 

11 minutes ago, Barkus said:

I would presume mccown will get at least the entire first quarter. It will be interesting to see if hack or petty will be the #2 guy in. I would hope we can at least see a semblance of functional football, an offensive TD would be nice too. If the regular season turns into a long string of 3 and outs it won't be worth watching at all. 

It was also reported that McCllown will get additional time in the second preseason game. Listening to the Bowles press conference after the game, it seemed far from certain that McClown is even in the starting picture.

14 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

It was also reported that McCllown will get additional time in the second preseason game. Listening to the Bowles press conference after the game, it seemed far from certain that McClown is even in the starting picture.

looks like woody is still pulling some strings from across the pond.

16 hours ago, RSJ said:

I'm not sure what McCown has done to be the automatic starter. From what I understand in camp it has been pretty close. Doesn't a close battle go to the kid you want to see is your franchise QB? I would think giving Hack a full week of prep and seeing what he can do against the Giants would be the smart decision.

The Jets will not win a game Hackenburg starts. McCown was going to be the Week 1 starter the moment the ink dried on his contract.

Archived