How much criticism should Macc be getting for whiffing on Watson?

Pointdexter

Most of us here are making this way more complicated than it should be.  Lets look at the last 2-1/2 years in the simplest of terms:

Mac has been the GM for 3 drafts and 2-1/2 years of games so far and his starting QB's have been Fitzpatrick and McCown and he's drafted Petty and Hackenberg.  If this is the best this GM can do for the Jets at the most important position on the field, how can we have faith in him to improve this team at all???

Furthermore, the Jets are going to enter 2018 with even more holes than they had entering the 2015 season.  How can this be viewed as anything but a complete failure on the part of the GM?

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, gEYno said:

To be clear, I don't blame either for everything.  I blame each for the failures of their general job descriptions.  In game buffoonery goes to Bowles, and there's been plenty of that.  Quality of the roster goes to Mac, and the isn't much quality at all.

Ultimately, I take the position I do here, because I think Bowles deserves plenty of criticism, but the level to which people blame him for this sh*t-show is just completely out of control, and often times, completely illogical.

My main point is in very, very few NFL scenarios does the HC not have a major say on the personnel choices. Final say should always go to the GM, but there is a reason why HC's are in the draft room, and at the combine. I also think it would be irresponsible for a GM to be acting without working very closely to his HC in every scenario. I think to absolve Bowls of the roster is unfair, just as its unfair to absolve Mac. I think they both have their hand in this roster. You can argue and debate percentages for each one of them, but I would be shocked if Mac has setup this roster in a vacuum without a ton of input from Bowles.

This is why I think in 99% of scenarios in the NFL, the HC and the GM should be tied together at the hip. 

And from what I have seen from the two combined, neither is good enough individually, and especially not together, to warrant keeping them both around. But, I think the absolute worst thing would be to fire one without firing the other. If that happened in a well run org, you would say that the owner is smart enough to understand how things worked the past 3 years and was intelligently able to decipher who the blame goes to, and make that decision. But there is no way in hell anyone in FP has the ability to do that IMO.

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Taking Pryor in 2014 was one of the all time boners by the Jets, considering the roster and who was on the board. Hell, the Geno truthers probably could have been put to bed easily with Cooks or even Benjamin being on the roster.

Yeah. It's just mind-boggling that Idzik could look at Geno's rookie year and think we were all set there, or that Maccagnan could look at Hackenberg's and think the same.

10 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Most of us here are making this way more complicated than it should be.  Lets look at the last 2-1/2 years in the simplest of terms:

Mac has been the GM for 3 drafts and 2-1/2 years of games so far and his starting QB's have been Fitzpatrick and McCown and he's drafted Petty and Hackenberg.  If this is the best this GM can do for the Jets at the most important position on the field, how can we have faith in him to improve this team at all???

Furthermore, the Jets are going to enter 2018 with even more holes than they had entering the 2015 season.  How can this be viewed as anything but a complete failure on the part of the GM?

HUH? Are you blind?

42 minutes ago, gEYno said:

So, your take is that we should be happy that we got an average strong safety with limited upside, and ignore that we missed a potentially good QB. 

As long as we get a good player I can live with it. My belief is core first QB second. Houston did it and got Watson.

Now if the player was a bust and Macc skipped Watson, then you can get angry.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

As long as we get a good player I can live with it. 

1) So far we haven't established that.

2) We get it, you're perfectly comfortable being 2nd or 3rd worst in the league, as long as you're not the worst.  Why don't you save yourself the keystrokes and just say that.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

1) So far we haven't established that.

2) We get it, you're perfectly comfortable being 2nd or 3rd worst in the league, as long as you're not the worst.  Why don't you save yourself the keystrokes and just say that.

1. Same with Watson. Still too early. Flashy but early

2. I'm comfortable with being competitive. Because the key ingredient for any championship run is luck. You need to be lucky. And that is something you can't draft

20 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Furthermore, the Jets are going to enter 2018 with even more holes than they had entering the 2015 season.  How can this be viewed as anything but a complete failure on the part of the GM.

Hasn't been pretty but eh I'd give him one more year. And his only real options are signing Cousins if he becomes available or sell the farm for the top QB. He's gotta know his clock is ticking, so it's now or never. You can't expect to keep putting out end of the road guys and keep your job.

12 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

2. I'm comfortable with being competitive. Because the key ingredient for any championship run is luck. You need to be lucky. And that is something you can't draft

1.  Too early to declare Watson anything long term.  Not too early to say he's played well, and flashed potential.  Moreso than Adams.

2.  This team has a long way to go before it'd be called competitive by anyone but you.  And a longer way to go before it's good enough to get lucky down the stretch.

8 minutes ago, gEYno said:

1.  Too early to declare Watson anything long term.  Not too early to say he's played well, and flashed potential.  Moreso than Adams.

2.  This team has a long way to go before it'd be called competitive by anyone but you.  And a longer way to go before it's good enough to get lucky down the stretch.

1. That’s true but it’s still not fair to jump the gun.

2. All I wanted to see from the Jets this year was effort and the young players playing well. Well the young players have flashed talent and they have shown effort. To me, that’s great.

No next year will probably be different

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

All of the blame. The biggest position of need, and we've demonstrated routinely that our decision makers, not our scouting staff, but our decision makers, can't properly address the situation. 

And I keep going back to this. If it’s the most valuable position, why are the Texans 3-4, if Watson has played well. Remember QB is the most vital position 

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

All of the blame. The biggest position of need, and we've demonstrated routinely that our decision makers, not our scouting staff, but our decision makers, can't properly address the situation. 

tumblr_n75oehkHeS1rijbg1o1_500.gif

19 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1. That’s true but it’s still not fair to jump the gun.

2. All I wanted to see from the Jets this year was effort and the young players playing well. Well the young players have flashed talent and they have shown effort. To me, that’s great.

No next year will probably be different

You've made it clear that all you want to see from the Jets is effort.  We know.  Unfortunately that speaks to your low standards more than anything else.  The Browns and 49ers are trying too.

As for young players playing well, there's not a ton of effort to support that.  Just what you want to believe considering Robbie Anderson is the only young player who's making plays - and that's a big stretch.

14 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And I keep going back to this. If it’s the most valuable position, why are the Texans 3-4, if Watson has played well. Remember QB is the most vital position 

Obviously because the Texans have lost three shootouts (where Watson played great) to the Patriots, Chiefs and Seahawks... The guy has 19 touchdowns in his first 7 games.

16 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

You know what? Given that Watson came into a system with a great offensive coach and great offensive weapons, I think both players are close in terms of flashes of talent. 

You will literally say anything to defend Mac, huh?

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

Obviously because the Texans have lost three shootouts (where Watson played great) to the Patriots, Chiefs and Seahawks... The guy has 19 touchdowns in his first 7 games.

The only reason to play this game is to see what absurd bastardization of logic he'll come up with next.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

No, you have to be more than competitive to make use of that luck.  you have to be good enough to make the playoffs and do so often.  Being 8-8, heck even 10-6 like 2 years ago and missing the playoffs means you have ZERO chance at the brass ring.

You don;t have to be the pats but you have to be a team like pittsburgh or green bay that makes the playoffs most years.  And the reason some teams always seem to make the playoff is that they have franchise QBs'.

36 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Watson did not start all 7 seven games. Savage started the opener and they got smoked by Jacksonville.

in the 6 games Watson has started they are 3-3

the losses were @ NE (33-36), vs KC (34-42) and @ SEA (38-42)

In those losses this pure rookie put up 4 TD plus against 3 of the best teams in the league.   

The only reason a Jets fan would prefer Adams to Watson is because they haven't bothered to learn about Watson.  

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No, you have to be more than competitive to make use of that luck.  you have to be good enough to make the playoffs and do so often.  Being 8-8, heck even 10-6 like 2 years ago and missing the playoffs means you have ZERO chance at the brass ring.

You don;t have to be the pats but you have to be a team like pittsburgh or green bay that makes the playoffs most years.  And the reason some teams always seem to make the playoff is that they have franchise QBs'.

And usually what determines how many wins you need to make the playoffs is luck. Seattle had 7 wins and got in. NE had 11 wins one year and didnt

Archived