Broken hand for McCown

Pac

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, BigO said:

Top 5? If we go 5-11 which is all set in stone, a top 5 pick is remote. Right now after 13 games it looks like this 1 Browns, 2 Giants,  3 Niners,  4 Colts, 5 Bucs, 6 Texans, 7 Bears, 8 Broncos lol, 9 Dolphins, 10 Skins 11 Jets.  Some play each other, some have winnable games left but it looks like we’re going somewhere between 6-9.

#6 is perfect. I will take #6

7 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Hats off to McCown for playing his butt off this season. Guy plays with a lot of heart, more so than quite a few current QB’s around the league.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He sure does.  That's why he should have never seen the field with the Jets this year. Not good.

2 hours ago, Pac said:

Bowles got out of that PC easy..  no one grilled him for continuing to play an obviously injured McCown.  Had he taken him out like he should have he never would have suffered the broken hand.

How did the beat kids not ask him why he was still running a hobbled 38 year old out there? Christ. 

24 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

#6 is perfect. I will take #6

Interesting take - out of these 10 ahead of us only 3 need a QB Browns, Giants, Broncos. Maybe the top 2 say FU Cleveland don’t even try me - Broncos could end up with our same record or better. Of course you have teams that need a future QB but they’d have to pay more than us to move up.  I think Cleveland trades top pick to someone and it will cost a fortune. Giants sitting pretty either way and could trade

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So f*cking stupid that this is what it took to finally slide down the depth chart. Week f*ckin 14.

Feel bad for Josh but it never should have come to this.

Word up, I mean Jet up or Jet down. Seriously though he played with heart and guts but he should never have been signed in first place on this team at this time.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I've never been a Petty believer.  He had a good preseason against the other team's backups.  And while it's almost impossible to be optimistic about Hack given that he could barely make the active roster in 2 years, he's still the guy I want to see in there.  If McCown is out the rest of the way and Hack STILL can't get a snap then I don't see why he's taking up a roster spot.

Ray Lucas stated the same thing after the game in between SMH moves on SNY. 

8 minutes ago, johnnyjet said:

I don’t like #5 as a qb numbuh

We need a #18 or 19.    

Is "numbuh" in honor of Francesa?  :)

I never liked 6 for a QB (probably too many negative associations - Brister, Sanchez).  I don't mind 5 though.  It's kind of a rare QB number and doesn't have any "stink" on it (afaik). 

My favorite #'s for QBs:

Numbers I like for QBs:

Numbers I don't like for QBs:

Numbers I'm sort of on-the-fence on for QBs:

Josh McCown deserved a better ending than this

Cannizzaro

DENVER — Josh McCown knew right away.

He knew he was done. Definitely for the rest of Sunday’s game. Likely for the rest of this season. And possibly for his career, which has spanned more than 15 years and eight different teams.

That’s why, when McCown emerged from the trainer’s room in the bowels of Sports Authority Field at Mile High after breaking is left hand late in the third quarter of the Jets’ 23-0 loss to the Broncos, his eyes already were red from the burning of tears.

McCown, who’s been enjoying the finest season of his career at age 38, was raw with emotion when he spoke to reporters. It was when he was asked, given how much he has relished this renaissance season of his, about what he was feeling “emotionally,” that McCown could no longer hold his emotions in check.

He took nearly 20 seconds trying to compose himself before answering with tears in his eyes and his voice cracking.

“It’s been the best [season] because of the guys … not numbers,” McCown said. “It’s been the best because of the group of men in the locker room.’’

Pause.

“I’m just proud to be a part of it,’’ McCown said. “So thankful they let me be a part of this team.”

It’s actually the Jets who should be thankful McCown has been a part of their team because he’s been the heart and soul of Gang Green.

McCown has been a gift for the Jets. He’s has touched every player in the Jets locker room and had a profound effect on many of them with his selfless leadership.

That’s what made it so difficult to watch McCown get hurt then learn the news it looks like the injury is season-ending. The start against the Broncos was McCown’s 13th of the season, matching his career high for a season, set when he played for the Cardinals in 2004, when most of his Jets teammates were in grade school.

Before Sunday, McCown had played every down for the Jets this season and was on pace to become the first Jets quarterback to do that since Richard Todd. Yes, Richard Todd.

Sunday’s game against the Saints in New Orleans would have been McCown’s 14th start, surpassing his personal high, hopefully en route to playing a full 16-game season for the first time.

So the Jets didn’t just lose a game in noncompetitive fashion Sunday in Denver. They put an end to their best feel-good story, one of the best in the league.

McCown entered Sunday having completed 67.8 percent of his passes with 18 touchdowns and only eight interceptions. Though he did make one bad throw that was picked off by Broncos safety Darian Stewart in the second quarter Sunday, McCown never had a chance with the deplorable performance his offensive line put in.

Yet there he was after the game, sounding like it was he who let his team down. After he was finished with his postgame press conference, McCown walked slowly out of the locker room with his right arm on the shoulder of Todd Bowles. They had a brief chat, and McCown headed toward the team buses.

“You want to be out there with your guys, and I feel like I let them down,” McCown said before boarding the bus. “From this point in your career, each game is so special and precious, so you don’t want it to end this way.”

Asked if his raw emotions stemmed from wondering if this could be the end of his career, McCown said: “Yeah, you never know. You get flooded with emotions about all those things because you don’t know. I don’t know what’s next. The possibility of something coming to an end … you just don’t know. I love these guys so much, these coaches. I love this organization, and it means a lot to me to be here.”

The hour or so after the injury McCown spent in that barren trainer’s room might have been the most agonizing 60 minutes of his NFL career.

“It was emotional,” he said. “You’re just thinking through the game, thinking through everything … thinking through 16 years. It’s just emotional. I’m very, very thankful. I hate for it to end this way, but I’m just so thankful that I got to be a part of this.”

McCown sounded like a guy who’s resigned to this being the end. Here’s hoping it’s not.

Hopefully he'll return as a backup next year or in some coaching capacity if he decides to retire.  If you don't think he's had an impact on many of his teammates you haven't been watching. 

11 minutes ago, Pac said:

Josh McCown deserved a better ending than this

Cannizzaro

DENVER — Josh McCown knew right away.

He knew he was done. Definitely for the rest of Sunday’s game. Likely for the rest of this season. And possibly for his career, which has spanned more than 15 years and eight different teams.

That’s why, when McCown emerged from the trainer’s room in the bowels of Sports Authority Field at Mile High after breaking is left hand late in the third quarter of the Jets’ 23-0 loss to the Broncos, his eyes already were red from the burning of tears.

McCown, who’s been enjoying the finest season of his career at age 38, was raw with emotion when he spoke to reporters. It was when he was asked, given how much he has relished this renaissance season of his, about what he was feeling “emotionally,” that McCown could no longer hold his emotions in check.

He took nearly 20 seconds trying to compose himself before answering with tears in his eyes and his voice cracking.

“It’s been the best [season] because of the guys … not numbers,” McCown said. “It’s been the best because of the group of men in the locker room.’’

Pause.

“I’m just proud to be a part of it,’’ McCown said. “So thankful they let me be a part of this team.”

It’s actually the Jets who should be thankful McCown has been a part of their team because he’s been the heart and soul of Gang Green.

McCown has been a gift for the Jets. He’s has touched every player in the Jets locker room and had a profound effect on many of them with his selfless leadership.

That’s what made it so difficult to watch McCown get hurt then learn the news it looks like the injury is season-ending. The start against the Broncos was McCown’s 13th of the season, matching his career high for a season, set when he played for the Cardinals in 2004, when most of his Jets teammates were in grade school.

Before Sunday, McCown had played every down for the Jets this season and was on pace to become the first Jets quarterback to do that since Richard Todd. Yes, Richard Todd.

Sunday’s game against the Saints in New Orleans would have been McCown’s 14th start, surpassing his personal high, hopefully en route to playing a full 16-game season for the first time.

So the Jets didn’t just lose a game in noncompetitive fashion Sunday in Denver. They put an end to their best feel-good story, one of the best in the league.

McCown entered Sunday having completed 67.8 percent of his passes with 18 touchdowns and only eight interceptions. Though he did make one bad throw that was picked off by Broncos safety Darian Stewart in the second quarter Sunday, McCown never had a chance with the deplorable performance his offensive line put in.

Yet there he was after the game, sounding like it was he who let his team down. After he was finished with his postgame press conference, McCown walked slowly out of the locker room with his right arm on the shoulder of Todd Bowles. They had a brief chat, and McCown headed toward the team buses.

“You want to be out there with your guys, and I feel like I let them down,” McCown said before boarding the bus. “From this point in your career, each game is so special and precious, so you don’t want it to end this way.”

Asked if his raw emotions stemmed from wondering if this could be the end of his career, McCown said: “Yeah, you never know. You get flooded with emotions about all those things because you don’t know. I don’t know what’s next. The possibility of something coming to an end … you just don’t know. I love these guys so much, these coaches. I love this organization, and it means a lot to me to be here.”

The hour or so after the injury McCown spent in that barren trainer’s room might have been the most agonizing 60 minutes of his NFL career.

“It was emotional,” he said. “You’re just thinking through the game, thinking through everything … thinking through 16 years. It’s just emotional. I’m very, very thankful. I hate for it to end this way, but I’m just so thankful that I got to be a part of this.”

McCown sounded like a guy who’s resigned to this being the end. Here’s hoping it’s not.

Hopefully he'll return as a backup next year or in some coaching capacity if he decides to retire.  If you don't think he's had an impact on many of his teammates you haven't been watching. 

Your continuous ball washing of McClown is nauseating. There is nothing positive about McClown being on this team.

3 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

My word... Never seen such celebration of below average sub mediocrity. 

We are the franchise of feel good stories and participation trophies. Embarrassing. what a shell of birdshlt 

I especially loved the “we owe it to McCown to let him be the starter the rest of the year”. What an effing joke!

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I especially loved the “we owe it to McCown to let him be the starter the rest of the year”. What an effing joke!

All McCown did was save Bowles and Mac’s jobs for one more year while screwing us out of Darnold

11 hours ago, Pac said:

Bowles just said it's a broken left hand during his press conf.

Well the good news is if Petty is starting the rest of the year then we should stay at 5 wins and moving up won't cost as much as we feared.

they were going to stay at 5 wins regardless.   they have little hope of beating teams like the saints, chargers and the patsies.

it's good we'll finally see petty at qb. he made the right throws for the most part but they are a little off.  hopefully he'll get better as he practices with the first team.

9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Your continuous ball washing of McClown is nauseating. There is nothing positive about McClown being on this team.

I didn't write the article.  You've been dry humping Petty for 6 mos and yesterdays game just gave you a little taste of why he's been riding the pine.

I'll be looking for your posts when they announce the Macc and Bowles extensions and re-sign McCown.  You can tell us all why it's worse than the Hindenburg.

Everyone hates on McCown.

He did his job.  He played as well as he could with a team that is does not have decent talent really anywhere on offense.  He played hard for the team, and gave everything he had. 

It's not his fault that they never played the younger QBs.  It's not his fault they haven't drafted an offensive weapon in 10+ years.   It's not his fault the O Line is crap.  People are glad he is hurt.  WTF?   Do I wish they had gone with a younger QB to see if they had anything?  Yeah, but I separate that from McCown, who played his heart out.   You've had so many people on this team not play hard after getting big contracts, it was nice to see someone actually trying.

Archived