Will giants take Barkley?

kevinc855

10 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

You're not getting the point.  It's not either Barkley at 2 or Nelson at 5.  It's either Barkley at 2 or Nelson+boatload additional DP's from DEN.

They may value Barkley a lot...but perhaps NOT value Barkley as much as accepting taking Nelson PLUS the additional picks for moving down.  At a certain point, they may opt for another deal and leave Barkley be.

Lol. I’m getting “your point.” Barkley is not going to fall far. Nelson may. So if they value Nelson and a “ boatload of other guys “ close to Nelson, they can trade back further than 5. Say 12 to bills. Nelson could still be there, or someone else in their “ boatload”. Now they have Nelson or someone else high on their board , plus even a lot more picks, then if they just traded back 3 spots with Denver. 

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ha! Or when Pac throws out the “people are saying” and then dives under his desk whenever he’s asked to be specific. Always a fave.

I provided a verifiable source.

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol. I’m getting “your point.” Barkley is not going to fall far. Nelson may. So if they value Nelson and a “ boatload of other guys “ close to Nelson, they can trade back much further than 5. Say 12 to bills. Nelson could still be there, or someone else in their “ boatload”. Now they have Nelson or someone else high on their board , plus even a lot more picks, then if they just traded back 3 spots with Denver. 

Nelson isn't making it to 12 (or let's say the odds are low enough not to risk it), and I don't see Gettleman settling outside the top 8- 10 as there is a big talent drop-off from Barkley and Nelson.  Trading with DEN, or dare I say us even, would be more preferable than going back to 12.  My opinion of course, but there's a reason even IND didn't want to drop that far.

It probably don't matter anyway as I think they'll take a QB...but if they don't, they ain't trading back to 12.  3?  I can see it.  5?  If DEN coughs up enough.

I think it was TomShane that brought up an interesting idea in another thread about the Jets taking on a bad Giants contract in a potential deal?  Was it Vernon?

Not sure how much cap space it would save the NYG but, I'd love to see Macc use some financial flexibility if possible to enhance draft position.

1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

Nelson isn't making it to 12 (or let's say the odds are low enough not to risk it), and I don't see Gettleman settling outside the top 8- 10 as there is a big talent drop-off from Barkley and Nelson.  Trading with DEN, or dare I say us even, would be more preferable than going back to 12.  My opinion of course, but there's a reason even IND didn't want to drop that far.

It probably don't matter anyway as I think they'll take a QB...but if they don't, they ain't trading back to 12.  3?  I can see it.  5?  If DEN coughs up enough.

I agree Nelson probably falls right before 12. But who knows. If every is right saying the 4 qbs are gone Early, Chubb and Barkley are definitely. Some teams may be set at guard 7-11. I haven’t looked or cared too.. Some teams still don’t think guard should go early. Lot of strange sh*t always happens after first 5-6. Nelson reminds me of guard I wanted us to get yrs ago. His draft profile had him going top 10, but fell to 18-20? 

25403EE0-E619-4906-A7FA-AC34E8FA25AC.png

I just don’t envision Elway trading more capital for a QB- aging win now defense- window is now for them. He already blew a #1 on Paxton Lynch, gave Keenum good money to start for two years, pr B doesn’t want to redshirt a top 2 overall pick for 2 years. Denver wants to win now. So I don’t think they trade up nor take a QB.

It comes down to be Giants- take Saquon baby!

I think Macc has a hunch what the Giants will do or it’s also entirely possible he’s fine w Josh Allen and frankly that’s good enough for me because that’s his job- I won’t pretend to be a scout.  With McCown and Teddy he’ll have a good room plus all Maccagnans future FA and drafts will go into protecting the kid and giving him weapons. The Jets are about to switch heavily to stockpiling offensive players

5 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I agree Nelson probably falls right before 12. But who knows. If every is right saying the 4 qbs are gone Early, Chubb and Barkley are definitely. Some teams may be set at guard 7-11. I haven’t looked or cared too.. Some teams still don’t think guard should go early. Lot of strange sh*t always happens after first 5-6. Nelson reminds me of guard I wanted us to get yrs ago. His draft profile had him going top 10, but fell to 18-20? 

25403EE0-E619-4906-A7FA-AC34E8FA25AC.png

But then Quinton Coples wouldn’t be on the team...

16 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I just don’t envision Elway trading more capital for a QB- aging win now defense- window is now for them. He already blew a #1 on Paxton Lynch, gave Keenum good money to start for two years, pr B doesn’t want to redshirt a top 2 overall pick for 2 years. Denver wants to win now. So I don’t think they trade up nor take a QB.

It comes down to be Giants- take Saquon baby!

I think Macc has a hunch what the Giants will do or it’s also entirely possible he’s fine w Josh Allen and frankly that’s good enough for me because that’s his job- I won’t pretend to be a scout.  With McCown and Teddy he’ll have a good room plus all Maccagnans future FA and drafts will go into protecting the kid and giving him weapons. The Jets are about to switch heavily to stockpiling offensive players

I think you are right. Unless he thinks so much highly of Rosen then Allen/mayfield he doesn’t trade up. 1 of the 4 qbs will be there at 5 if he wants 1. If they are somehow taken 1-4 ( extremely unlikely ) teams will be calling to trade up for Barkley. Or they take Barkley. Which is a steal at 5. 

Don't forget we have what's necessary to get the Browns to give up the #1 overall if that's what it takes to get Rosen-  the #3 pick. 

If the Giants are set on Rosen and we must jump them and do so when the Browns are on the clock the Giants would have 10 minutes to find a partner or take Barkley as a consolation.   The Browns would still get Darnold and at a cheaper price and pick up a bunch of picks in the process. 

If the Jets are in love with Rosen and fear the Giants, they must go straight up to the #1 pick. And I think they will do it on draft day about 60 seconds into the proceedings.   Remember, this is New York and this is a Giants town, the Jets can't be upstaged and lose the guy they want to their co-tenants.  If Woody wants Rosen we are the only team that can pry the #1 from the Browns.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Don't forget we have what's necessary to get the Browns to give up the #1 overall if that's what it takes to get Rosen-  the #3 pick. 

If the Giants are set on Rosen and we must jump them and do so when the Browns are on the clock the Giants would have 10 minutes to find a partner or take Barkley as a consolation.   The Browns would still get Darnold and at a cheaper price and pick up a bunch of picks in the process. 

If the Jets are in love with Rosen and fear the Giants, they must go straight up to the #1 pick. And I think they will do it on draft day about 60 seconds into the proceedings.   Remember, this is New York and this is a Giants town, the Jets can't be upstaged and lose the guy they want to their co-tenants.  If Woody wants Rosen we are the only team that can pry the #1 from the Browns.

SAR I

Problem is, CLE does NOT need more DP's this yr..they already have like 12 with 6 picks in the top 65...not sure what it would take, better be prepared to trade next yrs 1st rd DP.

I’m worried that the Giants can easily bluff us into trading into 2nd. If you logically assume that Darnold goes #1 overall then we’re left in a position where we have to pray that they won’t take Rosen. I think that the Jets would settle for Baker but they strongly prefer Rosen. 

I think it's moot. If the Browns really want Barkley they will take him at 1. That way they are assured at getting one of the QB's at 4 no matter what the Giants or Jets do. Say the Browns draft Barkley. The Giants take one of the QB's and so do the Jets. That leaves the Browns at 4 with the QB that's left. The Browns can come away with their top RB and a pretty damn good QB without breaking a sweat. That's just one of the scenarios if the Browns draft Barkley 1st. That's what I would do if I was them.

30 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I think it's moot. If the Browns really want Barkley they will take him at 1. That way they are assured at getting one of the QB's at 4 no matter what the Giants or Jets do. Say the Browns draft Barkley. The Giants take one of the QB's and so do the Jets. That leaves the Browns at 4 with the QB that's left. The Browns can come away with their top RB and a pretty damn good QB without breaking a sweat. That's just one of the scenarios if the Browns draft Barkley 1st. That's what I would do if I was them.

Why wouldn’t they just take darnold at 1, and Barkley at 4? Especially if the giants are trading their 2nd pick, or taking Rosen themselves. Jets aren’t taking Barkley and they know it.

8 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Why wouldn’t they just take darnold at 1, and Barkley at 4? Especially if the giants are trading their 2nd pick, or taking Rosen themselves. Jets aren’t taking Barkley and they know it.

Hopefully they do take Darnold #1. It will give the Giants a tough choice to pick Barkley or Nelson. Here’s my thing . . . How does Gettleman feel about taking a HB at #2 in this day and age? 

Is Nelson’s better idea for them? Is it a more realistic option? You have to hope they want to spend that pick on someone not named Josh Rosen. There would have to be someone they like there or they may be tempted to trade out . . Yet there are other things that will factor in. Do they want to drop to 12? Do they make the sacrifice anyway to obtain more picks aside from 12? Do they just go with the BPA that isn’t a QB. It’s shaky ground to feel comfortable about anything even though we have #3 now. I do feel extremely better at pick 3 now though.

8 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Went st party’s day drinking with a lot of giants fan today and we were together when trade happened. Seems like the fan base wants Barkley over qb? This fan base Is so loyal to Eli and feels he has some more time left with Davis Webb learning the ropes. Feel Barkley gives Eli the best chance to start winning now. It’s great if that happens since then we get rosen most likely, but wonder what the giants front office is thinking 

No, they are not stupid they take Rosen as fast as they can book it!

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Hopefully they do take Darnold #1. It will give the Giants a tough choice to pick Barkley or Nelson. Here’s my thing . . . How does Gettleman feel about taking a HB at #2 in this day and age? 

Is Nelson’s better idea for them? Is it a more realistic option? You have to hope they want to spend that pick on someone not named Josh Rosen. There would have to be someone they like there or they may be tempted to trade out . . Yet there are other things that will factor in. Do they want to drop to 12? Do they make the sacrifice anyway to obtain more picks aside from 12? Do they just go with the BPA that isn’t a QB. It’s shaky ground to feel comfortable about anything even though we have #3 now. I do feel extremely better at pick 3 now though.

There is no way they take Nelson at 2. He would be there at 5 easily if giants traded with broncos. Plus giants made some moves on the OL by free agency. Barkley is a really rare Rb. If they want Nelson, they trade with broncos prob 

10 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

There is no way they take Nelson at 2. He would be there at 5 easily if giants traded with broncos. Plus giants made some moves on the OL by free agency. Barkley is a really rare Rb. If they want Nelson, they trade with broncos prob 

So we have to hope Gettleman is the type of guy to take a HB at 2.

Not a good bet. I really hope he does.

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think he is smart enough to realize Barkley is not just “ A HB” but a rare once in 15 yr back. Gentleman loves the lineman, he must appreciate the rare bread that can make his that line he loves look 30 x better. But Rosen is a special qb too. Depends on how much he thinks Eli has left in tank imo

5 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I think he is smart enough to realize Barkley is not just “ A HB” but a rare once in 15 yr back. Gentleman loves the lineman, he must appreciate the rare bread that can make his that line he loves look 30 x better. But Rosen is a special qb too. Depends on how much he thinks Eli has left in tank imo

The Giants and all their fans keep hyping up Davis Webb. They really think he can play. I think/really hope the board falls as

1.)Darnold - Browns

2.)Barkley - Giants 

3.)Rosen - Jets

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

The Giants and all their fans keep hyping up Davis Webb. They really think he can play. I think/really hope the board falls as

1.)Darnold - Browns

2.)Barkley - Giants 

3.)Rosen - Jets

That's my dream, I'm hoping someone's really high on Allen (not us). Mayfield's still a great consolation prize.

Another angle is what does their two times HOF QB think of them taking a QB at 2? - He may throw a hissie fit and demand to be traded (Jags?).

Gettleman may want Barkley to keep Eli going for the next few years? Grab a Mason Rudolph or Kyle Laudetta in round 2. Either way the rookie in NY will be sitting for a least a year. Barkley is instant impact.

Since we moved up to 3, why not the Bills moving up to 1?  They have a boatload of picks to give the Browns and the Browns would still have their 4 pick.  
Round Pick Overall 
1 12 12******** 
1 22 22* 
2 21 53 
2 24 56** 
3 1 65******* 
3 32 96*** 
4 21 121 
5 29 166**** 
6 13 187*
Browns need players, not picks. They already turned down an offer from us to go from one to six, no way they drop all the way to twelve, in my view.

Imagine you're the new GM - and you're trying to tell the fan base why it was great value to pick the third or fourth best QB, and a plethora of second tier players, while the other teams have their top QB, generational RB, etc?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Every talking head I've heard says Giants must go, and will go, QB.  Regardless of Eli.
I believe them.
You can find a good RB anywhere in the draft.  
No so with QB's.

I can’t imagine that they won’t take a QB. How often do you pick second in a draft with strong QBs? And Eli has not exactly been lighting the world on fire lately.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Or, if you really want Rosen and Gettleman would settle for Barkley, you may have to make a small deal with the Devil if you’re Macc...Macc is going to need to be a bit of a poker player and try to ascertain Gettleman’s true intent.

People who say the Giants should pick a QB use this logic---- It's rare that you have a chance to pick a franchise QB capable of winning big games and superbowls. So, when the opportunity presents itself, you take it.

But this is faulty logic. Yes, it is rare. Yes, it is hard to find those QBs. And this is exactly the reason the Giants should do everything in their power to give Manning the weapons and D he needs to win a SB. When you already have one of those guys on your roster, you do everything you possibly can do to win now while you have one of those guys at QB. You don't sacrifice giving your team and him a weapon like Barkley for a CHANCE to find your next QB. None of these QBs are an Elway or Luck. Each and every one has at least 2 reasons not to pick him.

7 hours ago, dbatesman said:

If Maccagnan is ok with trading this much for Josh Allen, then he’s actually way stupider than even the most pessimistic of us thought.

A little Paxton Lynch in Allen?  And Macc passed on Lynch, if  I remember---we can only hope

7 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

People who say the Giants should pick a QB use this logic---- It's rare that you have a chance to pick a franchise QB capable of winning big games and superbowls. So, when the opportunity presents itself, you take it.

But this is faulty logic. Yes, it is rare. Yes, it is hard to find those QBs. And this is exactly the reason the Giants should do everything in their power to give Manning the weapons and D he needs to win a SB. When you already have one of those guys on your roster, you do everything you possibly can do to win now while you have one of those guys at QB. You don't sacrifice giving your team and him a weapon like Barkley for a CHANCE to find your next QB. None of these QBs are an Elway or Luck. Each and every one has at least 2 reasons not to pick him.

Sacrifice one pick now for the potential of 10+ years of future franchise QB play.

If Eli, who have at most two years left in a Giants uniform, needs weapons...other picks and FA can be used to get them. Eli is not being retained because the Giants are one pick from a Super Bowl.

You do not skip the chance to lock down a franchise QB, even if you’re on the last legs of your previous franchise QB.

The Giants will pick a QB.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sacrifice one pick now for the potential of 10+ years of future franchise QB play.

If Eli, who have at most two years left in a Giants uniform, needs weapons...other picks and FA can be used to get them. Eli is not being retained because the Giants are one pick from a Super Bowl.

You do not skip the chance to lock down a franchise QB, even if you’re on the last legs of your previous franchise QB.

The Giants will pick a QB.

I guess it all boils down to how much of a "chance" the Giants feel the QB has of becoming a top 10 QB in the league.

Just now, Sonny Werblin said:

I guess it all boils down to how much of a "chance" the Giants feel the QB has of becoming a top 10 QB in the league.

That, and their prediction as to when in the future they think they’ll be horrible enough to be picking top 2 in a QB rich draft again.

Never ignore the ego of an NFL GM. Gettleman will pick a QB both because the scouts will believe in them and because he will think the team HE leads will likely never be in the #2 pick with him I charge again.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That, and their prediction as to when in the future they think they’ll be horrible enough to be picking top 2 in a QB rich draft again.

Never ignore the ego of an NFL GM. Gettleman will pick a QB both because the scouts will believe in them and because he will think the team HE leads will likely never be in the #2 pick with him I charge again.

If they do, and even if it works out for them, I still think based on everything they know now, it's the wrong move. It's so, so hard to win a SB. You've got to give yourself the best shot possible when you have a SB QB on your roster. Manning has never had a weapon like Barkley -- he can turn any screen pass, toss sweep, throw to the flat, and wheel route into a big play. And he may be the best kick returner in a generation.

9 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If they do, and even if it works out for them, I still think based on everything they know now, it's the wrong move.

Exactly my opinion on the Jets moves this offseason, especially the trade to #3.

It's so, so hard to win a SB. You've got to give yourself the best shot possible when you have a SB QB on your roster.

They no longer have a Super Bowl QB on their roster.  They have a popular, aging veteran on his last legs, and had nothing to legitimately replace him with last year.  Make no mistake, the title-chasing part of Eli's career is almost assuredly over.  With or without a #2 pick spent on his future replacement.

Manning has never had a weapon like Barkley -- he can turn any screen pass, toss sweep, throw to the flat, and wheel route into a big play. And he may be the best kick returner in a generation.

Maybe we should take him then, instead of selecting Josh Allen at #3.

11 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If they do, and even if it works out for them, I still think based on everything they know now, it's the wrong move. It's so, so hard to win a SB. You've got to give yourself the best shot possible when you have a SB QB on your roster. Manning has never had a weapon like Barkley -- he can turn any screen pass, toss sweep, throw to the flat, and wheel route into a big play. And he may be the best kick returner in a generation.

Eli began his career w/ a weapon like that.  People forget how great Tiki Barber was, Tiki was on his way to the Hall of Fame before he retired so quickly. 

Barkley looks like he will be great but I hope the giants are dumb enough to pass on a QB.  Eli has had the best weapon in football to throw to and he has still stunk in recent years, they made the playoffs 2 years ago w/ Eli leading an O w/ Beckham to 17 PPG. Eli has not been a good QB since around 2011-2012.  again, I hope they are dumb enough to think eli has more years when he hasn't been good in a LONG time.

Archived