Anyone else dealing with a weird anxiety about Darnold?

T0mShane

So this thread is about Darnold NOT getting in trouble? What the hell is wrong with him? He should be speeding, running red lights, threatening to nut in some cops wife's eye,driving the wrong way through a Tunnel while drunk off his azz and beating the snot out of his girlfriend. Guys a freak.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t know what it is, but I’m watching the replay of the Falcons game on NFLN and the drive where Darnold throws the TD to Charles Johnson just played through. There were penalties on the drive, a dropped pass,  and plenty of inside pressure, but Darnold just kept dropping back, making a read, and throwing the ball to the right guy. After scoring the TD, Darnold doesn’t even react; he just kinda trots to the sideline and starts talking to McCown about the series, at one point demonstrating to McCown what he was seeing from behind center. 

This is in addition to what he’s been doing off the field, which is absolutely nothing. There are no mentions on Page Six, no self-serving promotional tour, no photo spreads in fey designer clothes, no articles about him working over some skeezers at Nobu. Nothing. 

It just seems incongruous to be as (seemingly) good as he is without having the need to market that level of goodness, or to use that level of goodness to get laid by 18-ish year old Czech supermodels. 

So, either he’s (1) not really that good or (2) he’s that good, but is hiding some sh*t, or (3) he’s a cyborg. 

Anyone else got the people’s eyebrow going on these days? 

E7B96F29-C2A8-482E-8ADE-6ADB05570F84.gif

He's still in the closet. Wait.

I don’t know what it is, but I’m watching the replay of the Falcons game on NFLN and the drive where Darnold throws the TD to Charles Johnson just played through. There were penalties on the drive, a dropped pass,  and plenty of inside pressure, but Darnold just kept dropping back, making a read, and throwing the ball to the right guy. After scoring the TD, Darnold doesn’t even react; he just kinda trots to the sideline and starts talking to McCown about the series, at one point demonstrating to McCown what he was seeing from behind center. 

This is in addition to what he’s been doing off the field, which is absolutely nothing. There are no mentions on Page Six, no self-serving promotional tour, no photo spreads in fey designer clothes, no articles about him working over some skeezers at Nobu. Nothing. 

It just seems incongruous to be as (seemingly) good as he is without having the need to market that level of goodness, or to use that level of goodness to get laid by 18-ish year old Czech supermodels. 

So, either he’s (1) not really that good or (2) he’s that good, but is hiding some sh*t, or (3) he’s a cyborg. 

This is a Tom problem.

I am trying to figure out how NO ONE has been knocking him yet...he can't be that good...he just can't be, right? RIGHT? RIGHT!?!?!?!? He is supposed to suck...he's a ******* Jet.

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

I heard the same thing about Sanchez, but the difference between Sanchez and Darnold is that Sanchez had that Arod quality to him, where it almost seemed like he was following a script he read from a book titled "How to be a Franchise QB in NY for Dummies" - it just didn't seem natural and always seemed like he was trying to say/do the right thing so that the NY Media wouldn't murder him after a 5-int game. The left side of his brain and mouth was saying "I just need to work harder than everyone and be the best teammate I can be" while the right side of his brain was fisting 17 year old hedge-fund babies from Connecticut. He cared more about being on the cover of GQ than he did about limiting his turnovers, and that's what eventually got him run out of town.

Darnold, on the other hand, carries himself with a blue-collar mentality that you don't see in many hot-shot LA QBs. He doesn't seem to have any interest in partying, banging models, or wearing Mink Coats on the sideline. He seems like a legit lunch-pale kind of guy. It's actually quite refreshing.

It's very "Every Day Joe" and very blue collar, there's no question.  When you see/hear his parents talk, you can see where the blue collar mentality comes from...

29 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Sam Darnold is Andrew Luck.  Not Big Ben.

There is a key part of Ben's game in Darnold.  I call it "360 degree eyes." 

They both sense, or "see" pressure coming from everywhere around them...

I saw it in person at the 2010 AFCCG.  Ben has eyes in the back of his head.  The game on TV doesn't do it justice...

I know Darnold has it too.  Although I havent seen it for myself, the STH's will see it soon.  I might see it in Jacksonville in a month against that defense.

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

His promotions? F’n kcups and jewelry with his mom. Who does that??

Rookie contract + dipping his toes in the water with the advert game. Maybe even keeping it limited to things he likes. Who knows, who cares... ball is all i care about.

2 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

I definitely do but my anxiety is around him being really good but then something happening where he isn't available to play. Jets fans can't have nice things! 

Yeah, that’s me. I’m still having recurring nightmares over Darnolds’s completion to McBride in the red zone where his knee was almost destroyed. 

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

I heard the same thing about Sanchez, but the difference between Sanchez and Darnold is that Sanchez had that Arod quality to him, where it almost seemed like he was following a script he read from a book titled "How to be a Franchise QB in NY for Dummies" - it just didn't seem natural and always seemed like he was trying to say/do the right thing so that the NY Media wouldn't murder him after a 5-int game. The left side of his brain and mouth was saying "I just need to work harder than everyone and be the best teammate I can be" while the right side of his brain was fisting 17 year old hedge-fund babies from Connecticut. He cared more about being on the cover of GQ than he did about limiting his turnovers, and that's what eventually got him run out of town.

Darnold, on the other hand, carries himself with a blue-collar mentality that you don't see in many hot-shot LA QBs. He doesn't seem to have any interest in partying, banging models, or wearing Mink Coats on the sideline. He seems like a legit lunch-pale kind of guy. It's actually quite refreshing.

So true.  The day I new Sanchez was a true Cali-goober was the interview of him during the path to the draft sitting in his appt. with electrical stimulants hooked up talking about muscle recovery and then something about, you know got to keep the body tan and toned, suns out guns out, har har har.  

2 hours ago, Pac said:

I honestly think he he's slightly on the spectrum.  Which would be a good thing. 

we can call him Rainsam

JN is slipping.  This should be littered with butt fumbles this is so bad.  In a Tomshane thread nonetheless. 

I just think he is a guy like Peyton Manning was that is just hard wired to be a superior NFL QB. He is just laser focused on that, but also has innate abilities that are unteachable such as reaction time,  awareness, arm talent...

In college he had an elongated release that people thought was slow (it wasnt), and held the ball with one hand all the time.

In just a few months, he has shortened his delivery and has 2 balls on the ball every time. And his release coupled with his reaction time is well ludicrously fast now.

Josh Norman GUSHED about him. He is just a natural, born to play football with a laser focus and obsession to be the best.

Sam Darnold is a Jet. The early reactions were right. He is just special.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

JN is slipping.  This should be littered with butt fumbles this is so bad.  In a Tomshane thread nonetheless. 

you meatheads have to stop thinking being on the spectrum = rainman.

1 out of every 60 kids born is on the spectrum these days.  My ladyfriend has dedicated her life to special ed both as a teacher and now in admin.  I know what it looks like and it's not that far fetched.

put down the nintendo switch controller and read a book.

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

In just a few months, he has shortened his delivery and has 2 balls on the ball every time. And his release coupled with his reaction time is well ludicrously fast now.

Every time before Sam breaks the huddle, Sam whips out his sack, lays them upon the football, then has everyone place their hands on it and thank him for the opportunity to do so.

Archived