Any Nathan Shephard sightings?

Bruce Harper

While he still has to prove himself, I think some folks are a little too hung up on the age thing. As long as he's on his rookie contract it's actually pretty meaningless, only really becoming a potential issue if/when they start thinking about a second contract. Anyone convinced it means he can't possibly improve from here must have missed Pouha's entire career, who was even older when he came out.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, JiF said:

I somewhat agree.  It was a shock when the announced his name because there were real potential stud pass rushers on the board who played at a real school; Jerome Baker taken immediately after Sheppard from OSU who I personally loved in the 3rd, is looking every bit the part in Miami.  30+ tackles a bunch for a loss, 2 sacks.  Sam Hubbard from OSU who I liked too also has sack but it's still very early still in these dudes careers.  Sheppard could find himself but it is concerning that's he's not at his size/age even as a rookie.

Baker is playing with Cameron Wake. That is a huge advantage for him

23 hours ago, bitonti said:

I have a Dynasty IDP league and am about to drop him for BJ Hill. He's playing he's just not producing. The fact he's 25 means there's like zero upside. He should be producing now. So yeah, there is concern. He might become a solid "jordan Jenkins" style contributor but a legit player would be flashing right now.  He's occupying gaps best thing you can say about the dude. Probably another classic Mac day 1 overdraft. 

Yep, the guy picked on Day 2 of the draft, who's doing what you want from a 3-4 end (controlling gaps and occupying blockers) as a rookie is a Day 1 overdraft.

20 hours ago, Paradis said:

The Jets are more stubborn with the 3-4 scheme than the guy who broke the world record sitting in a tree for 40 years.... we haven’t had the personnel to run a good 3-4 since 2010. Why we don’t just commit to a 4-3 is beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be an even bigger mess.  A 4-3 without DEs is even more crippled than a 3-4 without OLBs.  The personnel is more suited to 3-4 of the two options, given the heavy investment in DTs, but the lack of pass-rushers certainly doesn't get resolved by a change in scheme.  If anything, 3-4 typically has more ability to scheme a rush of the two.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

That would be an even bigger mess.  A 4-3 without DEs is even more crippled than a 3-4 without OLBs.  The personnel is more suited to 3-4 of the two options, given the heavy investment in DTs, but the lack of pass-rushers certainly doesn't get resolved by a change in scheme.  If anything, 3-4 typically has more ability to scheme a rush of the two.

It's true that -- in 2018 -- we're short on guys ideal for 4-3 DE... but that's a recent thing. We've had some flexibility there in the past 8 years... 

We've been without a true NT since Kris Jenkins... sure we've had these run stuffing hogs, but with a 3-4, you better have that mammoth NT like Ngata, or some real stallions at OLB to get after the QB... we've had neither dude. NEITHER in the last 8 years. 

So i disagree. Sure, we've made our bed this year, but like, commit to getting that NT or OLBs, or lets end this charade. 

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I think it’s a good thing we have guys playing good enough in front of him allowing him acclimate to the game. I think he will be a solid player for us going  forward.

Like Sam Kinneson said in Back to School......'good answer, I'm gonna keep my eye on you."?

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

It's true that -- in 2018 -- we're short on guys ideal for 4-3 DE... but that's a recent thing. We've had some flexibility there in the past 8 years... 

We've been without a true NT since Kris Jenkins... sure we've had these run stuffing hogs, but with a 3-4, you better have that mammoth NT like Ngata, or some real stallions at OLB to get after the QB... we've had neither dude. NEITHER in the last 8 years. 

So i disagree. Sure, we've made our bed this year, but like, commit to getting that NT or OLBs, or lets end this charade. 

We have Jenkins who might be able to play a 4-3 DE (he has the size)but after that it gets real slim pretty quick

We have Jenkins who might be able to play a 4-3 DE (he has the size)but after that it gets real slim pretty quick

Yea, I thought about breaking down the roster into who could do what - but the real crust of my point was that we’ve mindlessly stayed with this scheme despite not really addressing the key roles.

I disagree on the NT. McClendon may not be flashy but he controls the LOS which is the most important thing for a 3-4 DE. 

I disagree on the NT. McClendon may not be flashy but he controls the LOS which is the most important thing for a 3-4 DE. 

Hard to take your opinion seriously when you said Crowell was trash earlier this week.

You said NT then DE. I don’t know what trying to point out, but disagree. If your NT is just a space eater, then you better have able OLB. or vice versa. We’ve largely had neither. That’s just a fact.

What was Damon Harrison?  Hell Pouha was after Jenkins and he was pretty ******* good. 

Haha.  If he was average, then Crowell dreams of being a JAG.

As NTs? They were average. Harrison proved he was very good against the run. Thanks Damon. We’ve been decent against the run for a while now. He gets extra love for that but the best NT wreak havoc backfield as well. If we’re getting by with Damon, then we need some power players at OLB.

This is pretty easy stuff. Pass rush needs to come from somewhere. We all know that. We’ve relying on an inflated Secondary to bail us out for nearly 10 years. In today’s NFL? That’s garbage.

6 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Yep, the guy picked on Day 2 of the draft, who's doing what you want from a 3-4 end (controlling gaps and occupying blockers) as a rookie is a Day 1 overdraft.

he's not producing any tackles or sacks a top 100 player should leave some sign he ever existed in the boxscore when he's playing 40 snaps a game.

not a huge stats guy but Mike Pennel occupies gaps and makes twice the plays. Maybe they should give Pennel the snaps they are giving Shep.  But they are trying to develop the pick. 

As NTs? They were average. Harrison proved he was very good against the run. Thanks Damon. We’ve been decent against the run for a while now. He gets extra love for that but the best NT wreak havoc backfield as well. If we’re getting by with Damon, then we need some power players at OLB.

This is pretty easy stuff. Pass rush needs to come from somewhere. We all know that. We’ve relying on an inflated Secondary to bail us out for nearly 10 years. In today’s NFL? That’s garbage.

Pass rush?  Kris Jenkins had 3.5 sacks as a Jet.

On 10/10/2018 at 9:41 AM, Bruce Harper said:

Should we read anything in to his lack of playing time?  He was a fairly high pick for us.  Is he hurt?  Right now, each of Bilal Powell and Robby Anderson have more solo tackles than he does.

The Jets are going with a two man line a lot. He looked good early but right now the defense seems to be primarly this 2 man look. I think eventually people will figure out how to run on it. For now I guess the linebackers are shooting the right gaps and it isn't an issue.

On 10/10/2018 at 10:19 AM, Barkus said:

He came from a nowwhere school so should give him more time to acclimate. He is not getting blown out of the line and is sturdy. Anderson has been so good that he will have a tough time getting more playing time right now.

Agree, he's a rookie.  Just because he missed time and is a 25 year old rookie doesn't change the fact that he's a rookie.

24 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Dude, he blew up the line/backfield. 

Jenkins was Savage, and no one at NT in Jets uniform has come close to playing at his level IMO 

He doesn't get hurt, and the Jets win those two AFC championship games under Rex. He made that defense downright dominant.

Jenkins was Savage, and no one at NT in Jets uniform has come close to playing at his level IMO 
Too bad Jenkins had injury issues with the Jets but he was easily top 3 NT in the league when he played.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Snacks was close... More as a Run stuffer and demanding double teams which helped free up edge rushers... Too bad they didn't have edge rushers that could dominate 1 on 1 matchups.... But overall I agree with you, having that Sapp/ Ngata player in the center helps the edge so much and can ruin the Center and QBs day...

13 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Too bad Jenkins had injury issues with the Jets but he was easily top 3 NT in the league when he played.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

especially since the Jets traded for him in what should have been his prime.

43 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Snacks was close... More as a Run stuffer and demanding double teams which helped free up edge rushers... Too bad they didn't have edge rushers that could dominate 1 on 1 matchups.... But overall I agree with you, having that Sapp/ Ngata player in the center helps the edge so much and can ruin the Center and QBs day...

Agree Snacks was close, but Jenkins was a dominant force. Seem to recall a game where he literally tossed the center into the appossing QB. Only player I could call as dominant was Shue and that was in college at Nebraska not at the Pro level. Sapp is a Hall of Famer and Ngata will be both had longer careers but don’t believe ether was as strong and could man handle an opponent the way Jenkins did.

1 minute ago, Bocajetfan said:

Agree Snacks was close, but Jenkins was a dominant force. Seem to recall a game where he literally tossed the center into the appossing QB. Only player I could call as dominant was Shue and that was in college at Nebraska not at the Pro level. Sapp is a Hall of Famer and Ngata will be both had longer careers but don’t believe ether was as strong and could man handle an opponent the way Jenkins did.

I loved that so much. Sanchez rookie game vs Texans. It’s so beautiful. 

1 minute ago, Bocajetfan said:

Houston game.  He made a handful of highlight plays in his Jets career.  Not enough but they were memorable. 

Archived