Jets Releasing Terrelle Pryor...

AbstraKt

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

He doesn't have to be the second coming of Randy Moss to be important to this team.

If no one else signs him, and we sign him again on Monday, then I'll say bullet dodged, but make no mistake, this was a risky move.

Right. I have a hard time believing that there is some awesome master plan where we get to have our cake and eat it too.  It really boils down to the fact that I don't like or trust Todd Bowles to develop or accurately utilize talent.  TP is a 6'5" WR who catches everything, scores TD's, blocks downfield and can play as a 3rd QB. This is risky to say the least and while some here don't see what I see in Pryor, it really blows to send talent away for a groin injury. 

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

TP is a 6'5" WR who catches everything, scores TD's, blocks downfield and can play as a 3rd QB.

Except a TD ball in the EZ against the Phins that he let get picked by a db behind him? 

And hes also the 3rd QB?  LOL, no hes not

27 minutes ago, tdoublee said:

Maybe there is something more to Pryor that we just don't know about... Cleveland didn't bring him back after a career year. He only lasted one (sub par) season in Washington... then they were ready to lay him out in camp this year. Bowles seemed extra agitated about his injury situation during preseason, and now this. Could be nothing, but he's too physically talented for teams to just give up on him like this.

On the flip side, I like that we are giving Dontay a shot over other FAs. He has great chemistry with Sam, I'm eager to see if it translates to the NFL.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

This is what I'm thinking.  Plus hes out at least a couple of weeks, they have an eye on someone to replace him 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If I had to rank the Jets wrs, Pryor would be 4th behind Anderson, enunwa and kearse. And it's not like we have an elite group so I can't really argue with that. 

But he has been semi productive so I get why some don't want to risk losing him for nothing.

He was average before getting injured.  Q was probably going to be back on the field before him

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Would expect burnett is the solution this week because of the timing and then they waive burnett and try to put him on the PS and then sign or trade for a guy

When is the trade deadline?

I am thinkinig the same thing -- we may not know what this really is about for a couple o days.  You are not goin gto sign/trade for a guy today and expect him to be out there tomorrow.  Some other move may be comiing during the week, and Burnett gets sent back to PS.

Trade deadline is 10/30.  A week from Tuesday.

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Except a TD ball in the EZ against the Phins that he let get picked by a db behind him? 

And hes also the 3rd QB?  LOL, no hes not

You're still on that one pass from game two huh? The one where he came out to the press and owned it the same day it happened? It's one play man.  has he done that since? I'd say Anderson's two drive killing fumbles would be more worthy of fans ire. 

yes he can be an emergency third QB which makes it much more palatable to carry two QB's. Do you not remember Brad Smith or even Tom Tupa? 

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

You're still on that one pass from game two huh? The one where he came out to the press and owned it the same day it happened? It's one play man.  has he done that since? I'd say Anderson's two drive killing fumbles would be more worthy of fans ire. 

yes he can be an emergency third QB which makes it much more palatable to carry two QB's. Do you not remember Brad Smith or even Tom Tupa? 

Even Kerley was a QB3 for some of his time with us.

19 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

More to this than the injury. Especially with the injuries we have with Q out.

He must be a massive douche?

@HelenOfTroy can let us know about Deontay Burnett?

You ask a big flippen homer her opinion?   I'm afraid to say much, but I'm excited he has a chance.  

I love Tay, I've mentioned before, he's undersized but a very hard worker, a football player with  sticky hands, runs great routes and the first WR to arrive for practice, last to leave. Worked extra hours with Sam.  Smart player.  Reported many times that he could be found catching from that ball machine (forgot the name!) long after everyone else was gone.  

"Big Play Tay"

http://www.stack.com/a/how-usc-receiver-deontay-burnett-forged-some-of-the-strongest-hands-in-the-2018-nfl-draft

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

Was he?  I honestly don't remember that. I was caught up in his true punt returning prowess I guess. 

No different now with Pryor when we only carried 2 QB's on the roster. He was basically QB3 by default.

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think it's likely a combination of factors. He is out for a couple of weeks, we have decent vet depth at WR, he is on a 1 year deal so it's not like he is part of our long term plans, he is given up on a couple of routes early, he has complained a bit,  he has a history of being a problem in the locker room....

You add all that up and the Jets probably felt like it was worth the risk to cut him. If he was healthy and ready to play this week, he wouldn't have been cut so it's clearly NOT just a locker room issue. 

Managing an NFL roster is not always easy. 

Agree with everything you said, except the point about our WR depth.  We have no depth at WR.  Enunwa is hurt.  We have Kearse and Robby as our top 2 WRs.  Beyond that, the only vet is Andre Roberts, who has been great on STs, but has plaued very little WR in the last 4 seasons -- 27 receptions since 2015,  Peake has 20 catches in his career.  And Burnett is a rookie who is likely to be active for the first time tomorrow.  We have very little WR depth.

Maybe its time to get Powell a bit more involved out of the backfield, plus Herndon and Sterling.  I think we are going to have to get some production from other positions in the passing game tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Agree with everything you said, except the point about our WR depth.  We have no depth at WR.  Enunwa is hurt.  We have Kearse and Robby as our top 2 WRs.  Beyond that, the only vet is Andre Roberts, who has been great on STs, but has plaued very little WR in the last 4 seasons -- 27 receptions since 2015,  Peake has 20 catches in his career.  And Burnett is a rookie who is likely to be active for the first time tomorrow.  We have very little WR depth.

Maybe its time to get Powell a bit more involved out of the backfield, plus Herndon and Sterling.  I think we are going to have to get some production from other positions in the passing game tomorrow.

Agreed.  I think Sterling should see an expanded role.  Big target, can do some interesting things with him and Herndon on the field at the same time.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually he would never see the field unless everyone was injured on a Sunday.  Thats like when we had other non QBs listed as QB.  Or Edelman as the Pats 3rd QB

Nope, just the top two QB's would need to get injured. Then he would come in as.......wait for it. QB3

Just admit you're wrong and move on. 

23 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Who cares that he owned it after the whole world saw that he dogged it.  He dogged it and it was a key play.  

When he does what Anderson does and has done I'll give him more of a pass, not that anyone is condoning Andersons fumbles.  And theres a huge difference between getting hit and losing the ball and dogging it.  Just theres a difference between with Brad Smith was and Pryor.  Brad Smith played some WC, some QB.  Pryor hasnt played a down as a QB.

None of this matters.  If the Jets want him on the team he'll be resigned.  If not theres something going on and hes not going to be resigned.  

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

Nope, just the top two QB's would need to get injured. Then he would come in as.......wait for it. QB3

Just admit you're wrong and move on. 

As I said, if everyone gets injured.  The he comes in and hands off.  Youre stuck on this as a selling point for keeping him on the roster?  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who cares that he owned it after the whole world saw that he dogged it.  He dogged it and it was a key play.  

When he does what Anderson does and has done I'll give him more of a pass, not that anyone is condoning Andersons fumbles.  And theres a huge difference between getting hit and losing the ball and dogging it.  Just theres a difference between with Brad Smith was and Pryor.  Brad Smith played some WC, some QB.  Pryor hasnt played a down as a QB.

None of this matters.  If the Jets want him on the team he'll be resigned.  If not theres something going on and hes not going to be resigned.  

You do realize he was drafted as a QB. I guess you don't.

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

lol  you have very little idea of where Pryor is in the progression of any given play. This is one of the sillier arguments I've seen on here lately. Even with your points, Enunwa is out which would bring him closer to being the hot read. Pryor has been getting more touches every week and there was a drive last week that Pryor had the two or 3 biggest plays. Then he scored the TD. 

Whether or not you like Pryor is whatever. The idea that Darnold wasn't getting comfortable with him or he wasn't helping darn old is thin man. 

You think a fan can't watch a play and understand what the progressions of the routes are?  If you can't tell, even generally speaking, then it's not worth discussing with you.

You say I'm making a silly argument, while exposing you have little to no grasp of what you are watching if you can't grasp the basic fundamentals of route combinations and field progression.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

As I said, if everyone gets injured.  The he comes in and hands off.  Youre stuck on this as a selling point for keeping him on the roster?  

You said he wasn't QB3 and I told you he was. You were wrong. Also if you see my previous post he was drafted to play the QB position and when he failed he converted to WR. Get your facts straight before spouting more of your typical nonsense. The guy was a starting QB in this league for crying out loud.

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

He's a JAG a best.  Old in NFL terms and oft injured to boot.  He's a bad locker room guy by history and he even complained a bit while with us.  Never liked the guy in the first place and if it's true that he admitted to dogging his routes early on then def good riddance.  

4th WR is the right spot of a young hungry guy not an old injured guy.  Addition by subtraction imho.  

Thank you!!!

It is amazing how guys are knocking this when they haven't seen one practice like the coaches...

Maybe they know a few things more than us... Maybe...

7 minutes ago, RobR said:

You do realize he was drafted as a QB. I guess you don't.

F?  Really?  No kidding.  

We're not losing a QB.  He would be a one time fill in, if two go down, I get that.  He was signed to play WR, hang on this as long as you want, what more do you want.  You want a cookie?

Just now, Jet Nut said:

F?  Really? 

We're not losing a QB.  He would be a one time fill in, if two go down, I get that.  You want a cookie?

Apparently you didn't get it. No need for a cookie or to change the facts about the argument.

You clearly stated he wasn't QB3 and finished it with a LOL. The only laughs are on you.  

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

From this standpoint, why talk about anything on JN?  Of course nothing we say matters lol 

Listen, Pryor has been with us for 6 games.  In that time he has one play where he"dogged it" realized that he made a mistake and owned it. Its a big deal to do so. Especially in this day and age. It shows that the guy has awareness and humility. Those are incredibly positive traits. Since that one play that you haven't forgiven him for, even though its been addressed, he has done some excellent things. Including scoring two TD's.

yes there is a big difference between having fumbleitus and making a bad choice. Choices can be changed. Chronic fumbling ruins careers. I'm not saying or hoping Anderson will fumble again. my point was that by your standards or grilling someone for one play would make the anderson issue much worse. It's twice as bad because is was twice. ugh.,. this is silly. Your argument is comical. 

Pryor also played QB for the Raiders for 2 or 3 years. I forget how long, but that's another weak point. 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

oh yes they would.  It's called politics and not burning bridges. 

Teams in this league very frequently cut/waive players without saying they'd be interested in having them back. The "political" thing to say is, "we wish him well".

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

Apparently you didn't get it. No need for a cookie or to change the facts about the argument.

You clearly stated he wasn't QB3 and finished it with a LOL. The only laughs are on you.  

OK, enough.  Almost 3% of your posts are you patting yourself on the back because technically Pryor is the 3rd QB.  Got it. My point was hes not like a real number 3, a regular QB, but forget it, lets keep telling everyone how smart you are.  

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

When he does what Anderson does and has done I'll give him more of a pass, not that anyone is condoning Andersons fumbles.  And theres a huge difference between getting hit and losing the ball and dogging it.

Just wanna clear something up. As I recall, Pryor's feet got tripped up on that play and he couldn't/wouldn't recover. He didn't just up and decide to stop running the route.

Archived