Antonio Brown Requests to be Traded

jetsons

geez... maybe they will trade him and eat that $21 million this year.  Ouch.  A post June 1 type cut or trade would let them split the dead money over 2 years at about $10.5 million in each of 2019 and 2020.  (or can they split that $21 million over a 3-year period at about $7 million each year?)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/pittsburgh-steelers-antonio-brown-calls-ex-teammate-turned-analyst-uncle-tom-after-criticism

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown responded to criticism from former teammate-turned-ESPN analyst Ryan Clark on Wednesday, calling the ex-defensive back an “Uncle Tom.”

Brown’s remark appeared in the comments section made by the ESPN NFL account. The post featured a quote fragment from Clark who said it was time for the Steelers and Brown to part ways.

“This is where [head coach] Mike Tomlin has to put his foot down and shop Antonio Brown,” he told ESPN anchor Scott Van Pelt. “Obviously you want to get something for him. He’s one of the best wide receivers in the league. As a matter of fact, he’s one of the best football players in the league.”

Clark also listed the controversial things Brown has done while with the Steelers, including using social media while Tomlin was speaking to the team. Brown only commented on the post “Uncle Tom," referring to the derogatory used to describe a black person who is eager to win over the approval of a white person.

The two were teammates on the Steelers from 2010 to 2013.

Brown also sent a cryptic “Happy New Year” tweet.

Clark appeared to try and downplay the entire situation in a tweet.

"I have a ton of nieces and nephews that I love so much. They all call me Ryan," he wrote. "The rest is just the rest....... I’ll let that be. No one wins here publicity. Let’s all keep the same energy all the time. Happy New Year."

The latest controversy comes amid a report Brown was benched for the final game of the season over a dispute with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

The 30-year-old wide receiver chose not to attend practice and reportedly threw a football toward Roethlisberger, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. One NFL reporter characterized the dispute as “fairly ugly.”

STEELERS STAR ANTONIO BROWN BENCHED AFTER DISPUTE WITH BEN ROETHLISBERGER, REPORT SAYS

It’s unclear what the next step is for Brown. He set a Steelers team record with 15 touchdown catches in one season in 2018 to go along with 1,297 receiving yards. He appeared to show interest in joining the San Francisco 49ers after following the team and a few players on their social media accounts, according to NBC Sports.

The Steelers missed the playoffs this year losing four of their last six games. Their season had initially been overshadowed by the absence of running back Le'Veon Bell, who chose to sit out the season instead of signing his franchise tag.

I would DEFINITELY PASS on Brown... what a CANCER.

Realistic NFL Trades That Could Happen This Offseason

KRISTOPHER KNOXJANUARY 3, 2019

Antonio Brown to the New York Jets

5 OF 5

Things appear contentious with the Pittsburgh Steelers, at least where wide receiver Antonio Brown is concerned. The seven-time Pro Bowler was benched for the season finale after a midweek outburst and after missing the rest of the week's practices.

According to Jason La Canfora of the B-More Opinionated podcsat, Brown has since asked the Steelers for a trade.

Brown is set to carry a cap hit of more than $22 million next season, which would make him hard to move. However, it isn't impossible. The New York Jets, for example, have more than $106 million in cap space.

The Jets also have a need for a No. 1 receiver to accompany quarterback Sam Darnold.

New York isn't going to part with the third overall pick for a 30-year-old receiver with a massive contract, and the Jets don't have a second-rounder this year. However, they do have a pair of third-round picks and could use those to make a creative offer.

An offer to Pittsburgh of two third-rounders this year and a second-rounder in 2020 would be a pretty nice haul for an aging wideout who isn't thrilled about being there.

Betting Odds for Antonio Brown's 2019 Team Revealed; Steelers Heavy Favorites

KYLE NEWPORTJANUARY 3, 2019

Given the events of the last week or so, Antonio Brown's future in Pittsburgh has come into question—and the oddsmakers are all over it.

According to OddsShark, the Steelers are the favorites for the Pro Bowl wideout's services in 2019, but there are a number of other teams in the running:

• Pittsburgh Steelers (-500)
  • San Francisco 49ers (+275)
  • Indianapolis Colts (+800)
  • New York Jets (+800)
  • Oakland Raiders (+1100)

Brown was inactive for a must-win game against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday, which Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported was the result of a "dispute" with a teammate during a walkthrough last week. NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala later identified quarterback Ben Roethlisberger as the unidentified teammate.

The Steelers defeated a depleted Bengals squad on a late field goal 16-13 but were eliminated from postseason contention after the Baltimore Ravens and the Indianapolis Colts each pulled out victories in Week 17.

And it hasn't been a smooth start to the offseason in Pittsburgh, as CBSSports.com's Jason La Canfora reported Tuesday that Brown has requested a trade. However, coach Mike Tomlin has denied, per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette, that a formal trade request has been made.

That hasn't stopped the speculation, though, especially since Brown has been on social media in recent days.

Amid all of the reports, San Francisco tight end George Kittle gave Brown a shout:

And Brown responded:

He also started following the 49ers on Instagram recently.

Meanwhile, Brown has also interacted with Cleveland Browns receiver Jarvis Landry:

The latest drama may have the Steelers looking to move on from Brown, but his contract could pose a problem. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero pointed out Pittsburgh would have to sit on more than $21 million in dead cap space if it traded Brown—but it would create financial flexibility in the future:

According to Spotrac, the Colts ($121.6 million) and the Jets ($104.5 million) will have the most cap space in the league this offseason. The Raiders come in at fifth with $71.4 million in cap space.

•  
  •  
  •  

11 hours ago, Dcat said:

geez... maybe they will trade him and eat that $21 million this year.  Ouch.  A post June 1 type cut or trade would let them split the dead money over 2 years at about $10.5 million in each of 2019 and 2020.  (or can they split that $21 million over a 3-year period at about $7 million each year?)

I would make him come back and publicly apologize to his teammates and fans. Point blank. (you think the fans that paid for the tickets last week didn't want to see AB play?) 

If he won't do it, Keep him and relegate him to 3rd string. 5-10 snaps a game and never throw him the ball while he acts as a very effective decoy. When he cries and complains, Tomlin can just say this is the game plan we think is best this week. When that sours in about 2 weeks, AB will stop showing up and they can regain the salary bit by bit each week by not having to pay him when he doesn't show up. Then next year trade his whiney attitude away and let it be that. If you can't trade him, do it again next year until he shows some humility and apologizes. If he's too proud, then his forseeable  career is over because the Steelers hold all the cards for the next 3 or 4 seasons I forget. 

If he apologizes publicly to the team and fans, they can move on and play games on Sunday's for millions of dollars.  Or something like that

• 2 weeks later...

With the same confidence that I KNOW the Jets will not be taking a WR in the 1st (again) this year, I can promise you, I KNOW the Jets aren't going be trading capital for AB...  This is not the guy you marry to your 22 year old franchise QB... Not this 31 year old imploding version. 

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

With the same confidence that I KNOW the Jets will not be taking a WR in the 1st (again) this year, I can promise you, I KNOW the Jets aren't going be trading capital for AB...  This is not the guy you marry to your 22 year old franchise QB... Not this 31 year old imploding version. 

I expect Bell to be a Jet. 

I expect Maccagnan to draft yet another crap WR in the 3rd round.  Like clockwork.  Bet on it.  

Devin Smith rd 2, Stewart rd 3, Hansen rd 4

0 for 3.  He and his scouts suck.   

Steelers looking for a 1st for Brown.  No way we're sending them our first for him.  Swapping firsts, maybe but I don't see it and I really would rather not overall.  Beyond the diva crap, he's due an average of $13MM/season for the next 3 years.  I doubt he'll play more than one of those seasons before demanding a new deal at $20MM/season.  

Of more concern is the growing rumor that PIT is going to tag Bell yet again in order to get something in a trade for him rather than let him be a FA.  It's like a never-ending saga with those two.  I have warmed up to signing Bell if he's a FA, but not as interested in dropping draft capital on top of that.  I have mixed feelings about the franchise tag rule but it feels to me like it wasn't intended to be used this way.  

Steelers looking for a 1st for Brown.  No way we're sending them our first for him.  Swapping firsts, maybe but I don't see it and I really would rather not overall.  Beyond the diva crap, he's due an average of $13MM/season for the next 3 years.  I doubt he'll play more than one of those seasons before demanding a new deal at $20MM/season.  
Of more concern is the growing rumor that PIT is going to tag Bell yet again in order to get something in a trade for him rather than let him be a FA.  It's like a never-ending saga with those two.  I have warmed up to signing Bell if he's a FA, but not as interested in dropping draft capital on top of that.  I have mixed feelings about the franchise tag rule but it feels to me like it wasn't intended to be used this way.  
They are not going to tag bell again it would be counter productive. No one is trading for him at this point especially a high draft pick and he will be more valuable to them as a comp pick than as trade bait.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Steelers could look for anything they want, they aren't getting a 1st and likely not getting a 2nd for an aging, high priced malcontent. 

50 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

If their HC doesn't want him, they would be foolish to trade for him. Again, this is only my opinion.  I have no idea if Gase wants him or not. 

I would think if reports are true about questioning a HC staff they will have a say in everything and anything here including players. 

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

Someone will eventually offer a first for Brown

38 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Definitely.  I'd rather have Bell than Brown on this team.

Agreed, although something is off in that team. Bell held out all year and would not go back even for $15 million dollars on the tag.

Brown's fighting his QB and demands a trade. Tomlins last year in 2019? 

9 hours ago, nycdan said:

Steelers looking for a 1st for Brown.  No way we're sending them our first for him.  Swapping firsts, maybe but I don't see it and I really would rather not overall. 

No, nothing. There's no chance this team brings him on board. This is not the guy who cuff your 22 year old Darnold too.

Forget it.

Delete this from you brain.

A good player, but not a good player for the Jets.  He's not fighting with the FO about money like Bell, he's fighting his teammates.  Including his meal ticket, the QB.

Somebody will trade for him, and it'll work out for him because whoever trades for him will be a contender who thinks he's all they need to win it all.  Seldom works out

Just not a guy you want around a young QB 

He could be the difference maker for us. Gase is probably all for it. If a do-able deal they have the money to pay him. But you probably would have to make a choice between him and Bell. Not both. We could probably better use the elite receiver. On that one I could be wrong. 

On 1/2/2019 at 7:55 AM, joewilly12 said:

Antonio Brown could very well be the best WR in the NFL and NY Jets fans find faults about him as so far as not wanting him on our team. 

As someone else mentioned some crazy stuff happening in Pittsburgh. 

I would welcome both him and Bell on this team instead of more Cleveland Browns ex-players or JAG's off the street. 

COME ON MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You say this about anybody who may be available. Sign the beast, right?

Archived