Antonio Brown Requests to be Traded

jetsons

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Is there any reason to believe Evans or Green are actually available? AB is obviously the best WR of the bunch and he's possibly available.

Idk the likelihood of any of the above being traded I've just seen them on twitter as possiblities of being moved

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, MasterChiefJets said:

So their top running back holds out and their top WR wants a trade? There is some crazy stuff going on in Pitt, especially since it was announced Tomlin is returning. I would love a talent like his on our team - but only if we have a coach and environment that will keep him reeled in without suffocating his talent.

A diva who is getting up there in age sounds like a bit of a risk.

https://937thefan.radio.com/articles/antonio-brown-report-just-latest-bizarre-year

Below is a list of headlines from Brown since the 2017 season ended:

• Brown took to Instagram to publicly call out his girlfriend and mother of his children for not taking care of her children from a previous relationship.

• Brown skipped most of OTAs after he saw Roethlisberger wasn't there. Roethlisberger later admitted he had a pre-planned family vacation during the optional practices. 

• Brown slammed the media on first day of mandatory minicamp, appearing to question why he plays, saying, “Am I playing football to make a lot of money or am I playing football to take care of my family?” Brown continued, saying the media puts pressure on him and that he is unable to go out in public because of it.

• Brown showed up in a helicopter to training camp.

• Brown disappeared for a week during training camp. Mike Tomlin claimed that he had been sent to Pittsburgh for medical tests, but Brown was filmed in a pool in Miami.

• Brown reportedly called Bouchette a “racist” after Bouchette tweeted that Brown was limping at training camp. He then called Bouchette a “clown” on Twitter. Reportedly, Brown apologized to Bouchette. 

• Brown showed up more than four hours late to an event at Children’s Hospital, offering no explanation as to why he was so late.

• Brown makes a joke in a GQ article about cheating on his girlfriend and mother of children, saying “it’s kind of hard to keep it in my pants.” 

• Brown threatened to assault ESPN’s The Undefeated reporter Jesse Washington, saying “wait to I see you bro we gone see what your jaw like.” Brown then issued public apology, then went on strange tirade to media in which he called himself an ”exceptionalism.”

• Brown was spotted by CBS cameras hugging former Browns offensive coordinator Todd Haley during a game against Cleveland. He then was caught bragging about reaching 10,000 career receiving yards to Haley on team’s Snapchat, minutes after the 21-21 tie.

• Brown was seen yelling at his offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner and wide receivers coach Derryl Drake on sideline. He then left the locker room before media could ask him about it vs Chiefs.

• Brown tweeted "trade me let's find out" when criticized on Twitter by former Steelers public relations staffer Ryan Scarpino.

• Brown failed to show up for Monday meetings after the Chiefs game. He then told the media he was “pissed off” because “we suck.”

• Brown was sued for trashing his Florida apartment and then claimed he had $80,000 in cash and a gun stolen from him. He was also sued for tossing furniture from 14th floor of his apartment building, nearly hitting and, potentially, killing a 22-month-old toddler. 

• Brown was cited for driving in excess of 100 miles per hour on McKnight Road, which was over 55 miles per hour more than the posted speed limit. Brown reportedly told police that he was late for a team meeting.

• Brown repeatedly posted his personal accolades on social media after Steelers losses, including a crucial 31-28 loss in New Orleans.

• Brown reportedly got into a disagreement with Roethlisberger in practice, throws football at him and leaves practice.

• Brown reportedly skips the team’s walkthrough the day before Bengals game, shows up before game, is told he won’t play and leaves at halftime.

All of these incidents, some major, some minor, have occured since last offseason. Brown, who will turn 31 in July, is set to have a base salary of $12,625,000 in 2019. He is signed through the 2021 season.

12 minutes ago, Beaver said:

https://937thefan.radio.com/articles/antonio-brown-report-just-latest-bizarre-year

• Brown took to Instagram to publicly call out his girlfriend and mother of his children for not taking care of her children from a previous relationship.

• Brown skipped most of OTAs after he saw Roethlisberger wasn't there. Roethlisberger later admitted he had a pre-planned family vacation during the optional practices. 

• Brown slammed the media on first day of mandatory minicamp, appearing to question why he plays, saying, “Am I playing football to make a lot of money or am I playing football to take care of my family?” Brown continued, saying the media puts pressure on him and that he is unable to go out in public because of it.

• Brown disappeared for a week during training camp. Mike Tomlin claimed that he had been sent to Pittsburgh for medical tests, but Brown was filmed in a pool in Miami.

• Brown reportedly called Bouchette a “racist” after Bouchette tweeted that Brown was limping at training camp. He then called Bouchette a “clown” on Twitter. Reportedly, Brown apologized to Bouchette. 

• Brown showed up more than four hours late to an event at Children’s Hospital, offering no explanation as to why he was so late.

• Brown makes a joke in a GQ article about cheating on his girlfriend and mother of children, saying “it’s kind of hard to keep it in my pants.” 

• Brown threatened to assault ESPN’s The Undefeated reporter Jesse Washington, saying “wait to I see you bro we gone see what your jaw like.” Brown then issued public apology, then went on strange tirade to media in which he called himself an ”exceptionalism.”

• Brown was spotted by CBS cameras hugging former Browns offensive coordinator Todd Haley during a game against Cleveland. He then was caught bragging about reaching 10,000 career receiving yards to Haley on team’s Snapchat, minutes after the 21-21 tie.

• Brown was seen yelling at his offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner and wide receivers coach Derryl Drake on sideline. He then left the locker room before media could ask him about it vs Chiefs.

• Brown tweeted "trade me let's find out" when criticized on Twitter by former Steelers public relations staffer Ryan Scarpino.

• Brown failed to show up for Monday meetings after the Chiefs game. He then told the media he was “pissed off” because “we suck.”

• Brown was sued for trashing his Florida apartment and then claimed he had $80,000 in cash and a gun stolen from him. He was also sued for tossing furniture from 14th floor of his apartment building, nearly hitting and, potentially, killing a 22-month-old toddler. 

• Brown was cited for driving in excess of 100 miles per hour on McKnight Road, which was over 55 miles per hour more than the posted speed limit. Brown reportedly told police that he was late for a team meeting.

• Brown repeatedly posted his personal accolades on social media after Steelers losses, including a crucial 31-28 loss in New Orleans.

• Brown reportedly got into a disagreement with Roethlisberger in practice, throws football at him and leaves practice.

• Brown reportedly skips the team’s walkthrough the day before Bengals game, shows up before game, is told he won’t play and leaves at halftime.

All of these incidents, some major, some minor, have occured since last offseason. Brown, who will turn 31 in July, is set to have a base salary of $12,625,000 in 2019. He is signed through the 2021 season.

Clearly he is losing his mind. 

36 minutes ago, Beaver said:

And @joewilly12 has left the building.  Because, you know it's just haters who question what AB is as a teammate.  

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Can’t that be worked out in a trade if all parties agree?

No.   It is based on guarenteed money/ singing bonus.   The Steelers take a huge hit.   Maybe it can be spread over 2 years, but it is still 21 million in dead money.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And @joewilly12 has left the building.  Because, you know it's just haters who question what AB is as a teammate.  

joewilly12 has not left the building. AB is a lot like Robbie Anderson only a better player on the field. 

The NFL is not a choir boy league MANY NFL players have baggage not just AB. 

Has any of those issues hurt his statistics or his play?  

I said it before and I will say it again theres a lot going in Pittsburgh more than anyone knows is my guess. 

I will gladly take AB and Le'Veon Bell on the NY Jets. 

21 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

joewilly12 has not left the building. AB is a lot like Robbie Anderson only a better player on the field. 

The NFL is not a choir boy league MANY NFL players have baggage not just AB. 

Has any of those issues hurt his statistics or his play?  

I said it before and I will say it again theres a lot going in Pittsburgh more than anyone knows is my guess. 

I will gladly take AB and Le'Veon Bell on the NY Jets. 

You're still carriyng on like I care about or are questioning his production. Can you read?  No one questions his talent.  The argument is pointless if you read most posted.  Your argument is he's more productive than Anderson? Good

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

You're still carring on like I care about or are questioning his production.  There idea that your argument is he's more productive than Anderson is why you read for someone like this it's very telling.  Lol

Let's discuss AB the player. 

Any faults on the field that would keep you from not wanting him on the NY Jets. 

1 hour ago, Beaver said:

And the dude is getting old (in WR years).

13 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Yes Pittsburgh will have to live with this A$$ at least 1 more year. Way too much dead money involved at this point. Terrible situation.

I know Brown is outspoken no doubt about that but none of us really know whats going on, on the inside that locker room could be a complete cluster **** for all we know and it might not be all on Brown. I think the Bell thing has taken a huge toll on that team 

then again Brown could be the center of ALL the problems ...we'll never know until he moves on I guess and even then we may never get the full story

Antonio Brown offers up a social media message amid Tomlin’s criticism

Michael David Smith
1 hr ago

a close up of a mans face© Getty Images

As Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was making clear that he is not happy with wide receiver Antonio Brown, Brown was making clear that he marches to the beat of his own drum.

While Tomlin was addressing the media about Tomlin skipping out on the Steelers last week, Brown was posting a message on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook saying that he does his own thing.

“My options may seem limited by people or circumstances. It is then that I remind myself I am in command of my attitude,” the post from Brown said. “I am divinely blessed with free will. I utilize that gift, choosing to take charge of my life; to express the creativity, vitality and wholeness that truly define me.”

Brown attributed the quote to DailyWord.com, but it seemed to be a message that he believes applies to his own situation with Tomlin and the Steelers.

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I know Brown is outspoken no doubt about that but none of us really know whats going on, on the inside that locker room could be a complete cluster **** for all we know and it might not be all on Brown. I think the Bell thing has taken a huge toll on that team 

then again Brown could be the center of ALL the problems ...we'll never know until he moves on I guess and even then we may never get the full story

Yes by all means the Bell crap has had an effect on Pittsburgh but just take a look at Browns "rap sheet" that Beaver posted. Brown's has some SERIOUS issues and with his cap hit Pitts stuck with him.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Michael David Smith
1 hr ago

As Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was making clear that he is not happy with wide receiver Antonio Brown, Brown was making clear that he marches to the beat of his own drum.

While Tomlin was addressing the media about Tomlin skipping out on the Steelers last week, Brown was posting a message on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook saying that he does his own thing.

“My options may seem limited by people or circumstances. It is then that I remind myself I am in command of my attitude,” the post from Brown said. “I am divinely blessed with free will. I utilize that gift, choosing to take charge of my life; to express the creativity, vitality and wholeness that truly define me.”

Brown attributed the quote to DailyWord.com, but it seemed to be a message that he believes applies to his own situation with Tomlin and the Steelers.

Yup with Brown it's all about ME !

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Michael David Smith
1 hr ago

OK.  So now we know that Brown is certifiably insane.  (As are many diva-type WRs).  But none of the above gibberish makes any sense at all.  Just once, I'd like to see one of these divas apologize for his unwarranted behavior.   Narcissism seems to be an important asset for WR diva-ism.  Why can't so many more be like Larry Fitzgerald?  Love that guy.  Brown is a head case.  No touchy.

2 hours ago, Beaver said:

Aside from like 2 or 3, these are mostly silly incidents. He was “spotted” by CBS hugging Haley. Lol. 

He’s become a diva but this list looks like someone is stretching the idea a bit too far.

13 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Sucks that this guy is such an A$$ with a hefty price tag.  I see Santonio Holmes all over again. Not good and unfortunately not worth it most likely. 

He's a lot better that Holmes, but I do agree that he's not worth it. If he can't get along with Big Ben, how would he get along with Sam?

17 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

He's a lot better that Holmes, but I do agree that he's not worth it. If he can't get along with Big Ben, how would he get along with Sam?

Sam is a nice guy. Both AB and Ben are divas. That’s got to be a much harder relationship to manage. I can’t see anyone getting mad at Darnold. If the arguments revolves around targets, that won’t be an issue on the Jets because he will be our go to player.

It’s a risk for sure. But there are people who have also said he is the hardest working player in that locker room. Michael Irvin reiterated this idea on the fan this morning.

Unless you are in that locker room, it’s hard to know what the truth is. My guess would be that it’s a combo of AB, Ben and Tomlin. I think these guys could use a change of scenery. 

Mike Tomlin: Antonio Brown Hasn't Requested Trade, Steelers Will Handle Absence

TIM DANIELSJANUARY 2, 2019

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said Wednesday a "lack of communication" was central to wide receiver Antonio Brown missing the team's Week 17 game against the Cincinnati Bengals and confirmed there's been no formal trade request by the NFL's two-time receiving yards leader.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette provided Tomlin's comments from his season-ending press conference following the team's 9-6-1 campaign in 2018.

"I heard he left the stadium, I don't confirm that," he told the media about reports the wideout exited Heinz Field at halftime of Sunday's contest.

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reported Tuesday the superstar receiver had requested a trade out of Pittsburgh, citing his feeling that Tomlin was "too aligned" with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

"We take his lack of presence ... as something very significant and will be handled appropriately so," the coach said Wednesday. "... Not going to speculate on trade and haven't been formally asked [by Brown to seek a deal]."

When asked whether the situation represented Brown quitting on the team, Tomlin responded: "You can call it what you want to call it."

The receiver posted a message on Twitter while Tomlin was meeting with the media:

In the wake of the press conference, Aditi Kinkhabwala of NFL Network believed Brown has likely played his last snap in Pittsburgh:

Tomlin's press conference capped a whirlwind week that saw Brown listed as inactive in a Week 17 win over the Bengals because of an apparent knee injury.

Bouchette and Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported the seven-time Pro Bowler was not injured but was instead benched for the season finale after skipping practices during the week following a dispute with Roethlisberger.

The longtime Steelers quarterback downplayed the situation Tuesday during a radio appearance on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh (via Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com), saying, "If there was a blowup or something, I sure as heck didn't see it."

"Like I said, I'm blessed to play with him and I consider him one of my closer friends," Roethlisberger said. "... I know guys that are frustrated. I think the biggest thing is, some of the guys that I've talked to, they tried to reach out to him and they haven't heard back."

In September, Brown caused a stir on social media when he tweeted "Trade me let's find out" in response to a tweet from a former Steelers staffer questioning Brown's importance to the offense compared to Roethlisberger.

The following month, it was reported the 30-year-old Miami native was the subject of two lawsuits after allegedly throwing furniture and other items off a 14th-floor balcony at his Miami apartment complex in April and nearly striking a child, per TMZ Sports.

"It has now been made public that two lawsuits containing false claims have been filed against me," Brown told reporters at the time. "The facts will soon come out that prove my innocence. My focus will remain on football and I will not let the cases serve as a distraction."

Brown finished the 2018 season with 104 catches for 1,297 yards and a career-high 15 touchdowns. He's under contract with the Steelers through 2021 with a $22.2 million cap hit in 2019. 

2 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Sure, but the sitiutation is similar. That's more what I was referencing.  The scenarios are very close. Talented, exciting WR on the best franchise in the NFL is a major problem attitude wise and may be moved. If the Jets grab him somehow, it would almost mirror the Holmes trade outside of specific abilities. 

I can't help but catch myself thinking of Sam throwing to this guy, but intellectually I know its very dangerous. Same stuff with OBJ. Talent is not the question. 

2 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Sam appears to be really level headed and mature. However, do we really want to subject a young developing QB to this bird ? brain’s antics and putrid attitude. I think not.  Find a young WR in the draft that Sam can grow with that has a similar mindset instead of this egomaniacal wacko.

5 hours ago, Beaver said:

Bu....But he catches 115 passes for 2,111 yds and 25 TDs every season ?

4 hours ago, BigO said:

Sam appears to be really level headed and mature. However, do we really want to subject a young developing QB to this bird ? brain’s antics and putrid attitude. I think not.  Find a young WR in the draft that Sam can grow with that has a similar mindset instead of this egomaniacal wacko.

The truly crazy ones always tend to be WRs though. 

Trading Antonio Brown Is the Only Way out of the Steelers' No-Win Situation

MIKE TANIERJANUARY 3, 2019

The Steelers have backed themselves into a no-win situation. Again.

Antonio Brown reportedly wants out of Pittsburgh (according to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports) after getting deactivated in the season finale due to the kind of misbehavior that would get him kicked off a junior high team. (While coach Mike Tomlin initially said last week that Brown's knee was feeling too uncomfortable to practice, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazettereported that Brown expected to play Sunday.) The Steelers presumably want him out of Pittsburgh, too, due to a lengthening list of similar infractions.

Mike Tomlin refused to speculate about a trade in his end-of-season press conference on Wednesday, though he did describe a dysfunctional sequence of events involving missed walkthroughs and missed MRIs, which revealed as much about Brown's disregard for Tomlin's authority as Tomlin's inability to exert any. 

However you assign blameand there are so many fingers getting pointed in Pittsburgh these days that someone is going to poke an eye outBrown has become a clubhouse toxin. But cutting or trading him would eat up more than $20 million in cap space due to prorated bonus money from his 2017 contract extension.

Antonio Brown: can't live with him, can't afford to live without him.

If this predicament sounds familiar, it's because the Steelers painted themselves into a similar corner with Le'Veon Bell this season. The notes are a little different, but the melody is the same: outstanding player, lingering bad feelings, an absence when the team needed him. Money and opportunities squandered.

The Steelers used to be one of the best organizations in the NFL just a few years ago. Now they are the just the best organization in the league at locking themselves out of their own house in their pajamas. And they must allow themselves to get even worse to have any hope of ever getting better.

The Steelers must trade Brown. They will eat a heaping slab of cap space, they won't get market value (everyone knows they are motivated sellers), and the 2019 Steelers without Brown will look a lot like the Week 17 Steelers: barely good enough to beat the Bengals backups.

But the Steelers are kidding themselves if they think patching up their current roster dynamic for fiscal reasons will result in anything but more bad feelings and disappointing results.

The Steelers' biggest problem right now is not Antonio Brown, just as it wasn't Bell at the start of the season. Their biggest problem is that they keep turning superstars into Browns and Bells. And the folks most responsible for this recurring problem are much harder to replace than one temperamental receiver.

"I foster and develop every aspect of our culture," Tomlin said Wednesday. "That's leadership." Actually, it sounds more like self-incrimination: Tomlin represents another no-win situation for the Steelers.

Tomlin's substitute-gym-teacher approach to managing the team's boldest personalities helped toxify the Bell situation (teammates felt free to rip the absent running back—and rip through his stuff), gave Roethlisberger license to become a combination quarterback/talk radio troll and transformed Brown into someone who makes Odell Beckham Jr. look like St. Francis of Assisi.

Firing Tomlin might have been an appealing option before a quarter of the league fired their coaches, creating a shortage of appealing replacement candidates. And any potential replacement would end up playing "bad cop" to Tomlin's "barely paying attention" cop: Like trading Brown, switching coaches would cause a lot of short-term pain.

In the past, offensive coordinator Todd Haley kept Bell, Brown, Roethlisberger and others united against him by being a pain in the butt to everyone and anyone. Tomlin intimated that a staff shake-up is possible, and he should be obliged to bring in a fresh pair of coordinators: someone with real authority on offense instead of an in-house yes-man, someone whose scheme wasn't figured out three years ago instead of Keith Butler on defense.

Maybe Tomlin rediscovers tough love after letting the locker room devolve into a game of high-stakes dodgeball this season. Or maybe he ends up hiring his replacement. One way or the other, the Steelers culture must change before the next apple sours the way Brown and Bell did.

That culture change must extend to the front office.

The Steelers' methodical contract-management philosophy served the team well in the past: They avoided hasty, expensive extensions and free-agent splurges while maintaining playoff-caliber continuity since the dawn of the salary-cap era 25 years ago.  

But the Steelers' tough negotiation tactics kept them tight against the cap while rankling big-name stars. Brown began angling for a contract extension in 2015 but did not get one until 2017. Franchise-tagging Bell backfired on everyone. And if this season taught us anything about the Steelers, it's that everyone in the locker room is acutely aware of how much money everyone else makes.

Top players don't like being told they have to wait until late in their contract cycles for extensions due to the team's accounting protocols. With key aging veterans (including linemen Maurkice Pouncey and Marcus Gilbert) and budding superstars (JuJu Smith-Schuster and T.J. Watt) in line for new contracts over the next few years, general manager Kevin Colbert and the front office will have to make some unpopular decisions about who gets fed—and who might get fed up if they are told to wait.

Speaking of aging veterans coming close to contract extensions, Roethlisberger is entering the last season of his contract.

With his "we have a bunch of No. 1 receivers [including Brown]," "I have earned the right to criticize" and hey, let's keep blaming Bell soundbites over the last few months, it doesn't take too much imagination to see that Roethlisberger is the gravitational center around which most of the Steelers drama revolves. But as a high-level franchise quarterback, he has diplomatic immunity: It doesn't matter how much blame is placed on him, because there's no reasonable mechanism for getting rid of him.

Roethlisberger, in other words, is yet another Steelers no-win situation. He's just the same one many teams find themselves in as their quarterbacks get older. (See: Packers, Giants, etc.)

The best thing the Steelers can do with Roethlisberger is strive to keep his future contract extension modest and team friendly, find a coach or coordinator to act as his personality lightning rod/boiling chip, hope he reacts well to the roster being built around him and (quietly) determine whether Mason Rudolph, Joshua Dobbs or Prospect to Be Drafted Later can be groomed into an alternative.

The worst thing the Steelers can do is sign Big Ben and other 30-somethings to mammoth deals, tell the youngsters to wait their turns and watch themselves fade further into expensive, disgruntled irrelevance.

The wake of the Brown situation and the Steelers' elimination from the playoffs has been as distressing as the situation itself. Roethlisberger is downplaying any rift and scapegoating Bell. Tomlin sounded like he was trying to convince himself that he was still in control on Wednesday. Brown and James Harrison are threatening a tell-all video that would melt both Instagram and Western Pennsylvania. The organization sounds more interested in talking about the need for change than changing. 

The seeds of December's collapse have been sown for years. Too many superstars got to do whatever they wanted (except get paid when they wanted) for too long. Practices were too lax, the locker room a little too loose, game plans on both sides of the ball a little too leaky. Brown's eruption was a symptom of a long-gestating illness.

Trading Brown will hurt, but it will signal that the Steelers are willing to do what's necessary to heal.

Sometimes, the only way out of a no-win situation is to lose. That time has come for the Steelers. The sooner they start to cut their losses, the better.

Archived