‘Never seen anything like’ Rodgers-McCarthy dysfunction: Packers tight end

32EBoozer

So Who's the DICK??  

71 members have voted

1. 1. So who's the DICK??

• McCarthy
    • Rodgers

So who's the DICK ??!!

https://nypost.com/2019/01/04/never-seen-anything-like-rodgers-mccarthy-dysfunction-packers-tight-end/

There’s some credence to the rumors of dysfunction between Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers and recently fired coach Mike McCarthy.

Packers tight end Marcedes Lewis detailed some of what he saw in his first season in Green Bay on Yahoo Sports’ “Mostly Football” on Thursday, saying that he was in the huddle when Rodgers ignored his then-coach’s play call.

“I guess McCarthy called in a play, and Aaron was kind of like, ‘Nah,’” Lewis said. “He gave a direction and a protection to the line, and went. It was a four-minute offense, he threw a 40-yard bomb for a completion. I’m like, ‘What’s really going on?’ I’ve never seen anything like that before in my life.”

Whispers of a disconnect between the star quarterback and the 13-year coach grew in the midst of a disappointing season, leading to McCarthy getting fired after a Week 13 loss to the Cardinals at home that saw Green Bay fall to 4-7-1. The Packers, a consistent Super Bowl threat with Rodgers helming the offense, missed the playoffs for a second straight season and finished at 6-9-1.

“I think all of that stuff that happened towards the end in Green Bay all came from the top,” Lewis said. “I feel like Aaron had his own set of things that he wanted to do, then obviously McCarthy had his things that he wanted to do. I just think there was a little dysfunction.”

in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b244a645cdbef0d930f8.png

Green Bay is one of eight teams searching for a new head coach this offseason, while McCarthy has become a popular name for several other openings and is expected to meet with the Jets at some point.

So McCarthy is trying to execute a slow roll and 4-minute offense to bleed clock and Aaron Rodgers basically says, "F*** that!" and throws a 40-yard completion. lol

This might not be much different from Todd Bowles trying to rush the ball on 3rd and 9 and the Jets offense simply committing a holding penalty.

1 minute ago, Jet Life said:

Even if you don’t want McCarthy as HC for various other reasons I think it’s clear to see that Rodgers is the dick and difficult to work with 

I think that's mostly true.  Rodgers is notoriously difficult to get along with and has an awkward personality that was evident even back in his days with Brett Favre.

However, that doesn't mean that Rodgers is wrong.  While a QB shouldn't ignore a play call from his coach he may have been doing it out of his frustration with a stale, predictable offense run by McCarthy.

8 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I can't wait to see who the Packers hire.  Probably a defensive guy who brings in a OC who just does what Rodgers wants...

Who needs an OC when you have Rodgers at the helm. ?

I've been listening to Jets Podcasts that have me a little worried about Mccarthy.  He seems like the "safe choice" the high floor guy but that without Rodgers he is an 8-8, 9-7 coach (which would make him the best Jets coach in history, lol).  But the knock seems to be that the new high powered NFL has left him behind the last 2-3 years, that he is an old school West coast offense kind of guy with ok clock mgmt.  He'd bring discipline which I think is priority #1 to this Jets team but he won't be a home run, like getting the next great young offensive mind - problem with that of course is a complete whiff.

I just want for once, the guys who get paid to make these decisions to make the god dang RIGHT decision for once.

34 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Pretty sure Sam Darnold can get along with just about anyone. 

100pct. But that really isn't the question. The question is whether it was McCarthy's fault for calling bad plays at the wrong times (a concern many fans/experts seem to think) or was it on Rodgers for being mental case. 

There are many in the analytics world. A world many old school guys on this forum will laugh at that seem to think McCarthy hasn't adjusted to the modern NFL. It's not disqualifying in my book but it is a concern. 

The Jets don't get credit for his SB victory 10 years ago.

25 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

also, rodgers was off... his stat line looks good but...  look at the W/L

he may be past it. interesting to watch going forward.

i mean. the only reason they won vs US was the zeebs. 

440 yards passing. 2TDs/0Ints. Pretty sure he won that game for them and it wasn't the zeebs getting them back in the game. There were some bad calls, but if you watched that game and didn't come away impressed I don't know what to tell you. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

440 yards passing. 2TDs/0Ints. Pretty sure he won that game for them and it wasn't the zeebs getting them back in the game. There were some bad calls, but if you watched that game and didn't come away impressed I don't know what to tell you. 

against the Jets. not impressed. 

dude, the refs bailed them out like 4 times in ONE drive.

ULTimately, it doesnt matter either for them or for us...

but that IS WHAT went down...  NFL even recanted ONE of those calls. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Aaron Rodgers entire immediate family hates him, is this really a question?

Best talent I've ever seen at the position but he's the biggest ahole diva in the league

Then I assume the Packers record must be really good when McCarthy finally gets that Ahole Rodgers off the field the last few years? Oh wait, they were horrible without Rodgers. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Then I assume the Packers record must be really good when McCarthy finally gets that Ahole Rodgers off the field the last few years? Oh wait, they were horrible without Rodgers. 

Yes, newly signed Senaca Wallace and Scott Tolzien sure makes McCarthy a bad coach. Find something new.

20 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Why would the Packers be better without the best QB to ever play the game? 

56 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Rodgers 

Fantastic QB, major douchebag.

Him and Danica Patrick are perfect for eachother. Two pretentious peas in a pod. 

i was about to say the same thing, nearly.  danica has always thought of herself and her abilities a little too highly.  she would always blame someone else for her crashing or losing badly.  perhaps a little of this has rubbed off on rodgers.

Archived