Let's End This Narrative

choon328

I keep hearing people saying that McCarthy wants all of this control and that he'll bump heads with Macc bc of it. Here's an article from 2006 with the definitive answer on this. I'm tired of hearing this narrative. Also this gives good info on how he like to interact with the GM during the draft and FA.

For Packers' Mike McCarthy, the 'big chair' and 'final decisions' as coach/GM hold no appeal.

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Even as he enters his 11th season as Green Bay Packers head coach, Mike McCarthy’s responsibilities in the draft room remain relatively simple.

“Frankly,” McCarthy said Saturday evening after the Packers selected seven players in the three-day NFL draft, “just be part of the conversation.  And he doesn’t want it any other way.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said he's content to "support the conversations that go on prior to the draft" rather than take on a GM's personnel load, too. AP Photo/Mike Roemer

While other successful coaches -- including the last Packers coach to win a Super Bowl before McCarthy did, Mike Holmgren -- sought greater say over personnel matters as their careers wore on, McCarthy has long said he has no interest in a dual role as coach and general manager.

McCarthy reiterated that position after watching GM Ted Thompson, who hired McCarthy as coach in 2006 and saw him lead the 2010 team to the Super Bowl XLV title, run his 12th Packers draft.

“These [personnel] guys put in so much more time into this [than the coaches]. If anything, I’m more relaxed. I’m not worried about the things [they are],” McCarthy explained, adding that his primary role is to “just support the conversations that go on prior to the draft.”

McCarthy said he and Thompson meet before the scouting combine each year “to talk about our roster, the guys that are here and the vision of how I see the football team moving forward. And then he goes to work.”

While there had been talk earlier this offseason that McCarthy had expressed frustration with Thompson’s approach to veteran free agency, the coach doesn’t want to alter the team’s hierarchy.

“Ted sits in a big chair. He has to make those final decisions [during the draft],” McCarthy said. “He has a tremendous filter to take in all the information, and he’s extremely consistent with all his decision-making.”

Packers president/CEO Mark Murphy said at February's combine that he knows how much longer Thompson intends to work, and he has a succession plan in mind for when Thompson, 63, retires.

Clearly that plan isn’t to add GM to McCarthy’s titles, as the Packers did with coach Mike Sherman in 2001 when GM Ron Wolf retired. Sherman held the dual role until 2005, when then-president Bob Harlan stripped him of the GM duties and hired Thompson.

And don’t look for McCarthy to seek out a coach/GM position with another team if he ever leaves Green Bay, as Holmgren found with the Seattle Seahawks in 1999 after a seven-year run as Packers coach.

“In my opinion, for as much time as I and the coaching staff put into coaching the team, I don’t know how you could run a draft the way it needs to be ran and also run a football team,” said McCarthy, whose current contract runs through the 2018 season. (Thompson’s runs through the 2019 draft.) “I don’t think it’s feasible. I know I would be cheating one job that I’ve done forever, and [to] try to do both, I don’t think you can do it to that level.”

Just now, JiF said:

In 2006, I was new to my job and needed all the help I could get.  In 2018, I run 2 of my own branches and don’t need a single person to tell me how to do it.  

That analogy is awful. It's not about learning how to do it, it's about the time it takes to do each job. You're still doing 1 job. A better analogy would be being the HC and calling plays. It's an expanded role not two separate roles.

I agree we should end the narrative.  No necessarily because of this article but because we have no reason to believe he would conflict with Mac/CJ.

It's entirely conjecture.  In fact it's unlikely to be true.  McCarthy got fired because of his relationship with  Rodgers not the FO.

In 2006, Hannah Montana was introduced on the Disney Channel as a sweet-faced, child star. 

She has since, shaven her head, made out with Madonna on live TV, and constantly paraded around in under-garments with her tongue hanging out. 

1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

In 2006, Hannah Montana was introduced on the Disney Channel as a sweet-faced, child star. 

She has since, shaven her head, made out with Madonna on live TV, and constantly paraded around in under-garments with her tongue hanging out. 

and now she is married to Thor.

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

In 2006, I was new to my job and needed all the help I could get.  In 2018, I run 2 of my own branches and don’t need a single person to tell me how to do it.  

Completely agree with this line of thinking. People forget that perspectives change as people grow. I hope McCarthy doesn't want GM control so we have a shot to get him but that could just be wishful thinking too. 

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Which has what to do with him thinking he doesnt have enough time in the day to put in the work to do what the personnel people do?   He doesnt believe he can do part time while he runs the team, what a full time group does.

Unless theyve added hours to the day since this was written.  

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Which has what to do with him thinking he doesnt have enough time in the day to put in the work to do what the personnel people do?   He doesnt believe he can do part time while he runs the team, what a full time group does.

Unless theyve added hours to the day since this was written.  

Things change in 12 years...

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

I get that they do but the number of hours of the day?

I'm going by his words, his belief was clear, the guys who are full time personnel people should be the ones doing the job, not a HC who with all the hours he puts into coaching cant know what they know.  He was pretty clear.  He wasnt saying he wasnt good at it at the time, needed to get better at it.  If you're saying he doesnt believe what he said back then today....

I find it kind of refreshing if he actually believes this.  I agree, coaches should coach, GMs should get the talent.  How many HCs are good personnel guys?  1?  Even Belichich has help, doesnt do the dirty work.

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sorry but the article is from 2016, not 2006. So both your posts are rendered pretty meaningless. The part where he said he was in his 11th year as Head Coach should have tipped you off even if the OP mistakenly said it was from 2006.

McCarthy clearly  has no interest in what you want him to have interest in. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/203598/for-mike-mccarthy-the-big-chair-and-final-decisions-as-coachgm-hold-no-appeal

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Sorry but the article is from 2016, not 2006. So both your posts are rendered pretty meaningless. The part where he said he was in his 11th year as Head Coach should have tipped you off even if the OP mistakenly said it was from 2006.

McCarthy clearly  has no interest in what you want him to have interest in. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/203598/for-mike-mccarthy-the-big-chair-and-final-decisions-as-coachgm-hold-no-appeal

Good catch.  All moot.

What do I want McCarthy to have interest in? 

He was supposedly was offered full control in AZ and didnt even take the interview.

This may be apples and oranges but I spent the greater part of my career working in a busy ER.

The emergency dept director has both clinical (hands on) and administrative responsibilities. 

Over 20+ years I have seen 4-5 people take this job and regret it.

I was offered the job twice and politely declined while internally thinking something far less polite.

Inevitably one or both areas of responsibility suffers.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

He was supposedly was offered full control in AZ and didnt even take the interview.

This may be apples and oranges but I spent the greater part of my career working in a busy ER.

The emergency dept director has both clinical (hands on) and administrative responsibilities. 

Over 20+ years I have seen 4-5 people take this job and regret it.

I was offered the job twice and politely declined while internally thinking something far less polite.

Inevitably one or both areas of responsibility suffers.

LOL..we're going through that now. EMS Chief is a hot potato job, we even had one guy beg to be demoted back to EMS Captain...after 3 days. The current EMS Chief has been there for about 3 months. Despite the promotion from Captain to Division Chief and the pay raise it came with, her basic attitude is FML.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

He said the exact same thing less than a year ago..  He's a good coach that will stay in his lane and let Macc take care of the roster unimpeded.  Perfect choice.

4 hours ago, JiF said:

So, they did give you the tools to be your own boss!?!?

How refreshing of an attitude and smart for a gm.

We hear these stories ab out some coach banging the table for ardarius stewart.

It should be exactly the way McCarthy does it.  Meet with gm, go over roster discuss needs,  then step the hell out of the way and don;t say a peep until you are phoning the guy picked and welcoming him.

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

"I'm tired of hearing about proven facts! Here's something from 20 years ago"

-OP

38E21492-402E-482E-806C-E0C0BA4048D2.thumb.jpeg.bbd2330694321b5e554a3a307018f359.jpeg

Funny you should post that.  I am doing an experiment.  I went on a hiking trip this august and left an unopened carton of milk in my fridge, its best before is august 9th.  I am going to keep it for perhaps a year and see what i get when i open it.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Funny you should post that.  I am doing an experiment.  I went on a hiking trip this august and left an unopened carton of milk in my fridge, its best before is august 9th.  I am going to keep it for perhaps a year and see what i get when i open it.

I would appreciate an unedited video posted of that experiment's climax. 

Archived