Report: Texans to cut Demaryius Thomas today

The Texans traded a fourth-round draft pick to the Broncos for Demaryius Thomas last season. They didn’t get much of a return on that investment.

Houston plans to release Thomas, James Palmer of NFL Media reports.

Thomas played in seven games for the Texans, catching 23 passes for 275 yards and two touchdowns, before suffering a season-ending Achilles injury.

The 31-year-old Thomas would have been due a $14 million base salary this season, so the decision to cut him is no surprise. Thomas previously tore his other Achilles tendon and returned six months later, so if history is any guide he’ll be ready to play before the start of the 2019 season. But he won’t be playing for the Texans.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/12/report-texans-to-cut-demaryius-thomas-today/?fbclid=IwAR17J4kUyvsdE0Yzwpm1ckKjJwLPc4kbU_XjBGoPJfWQHQxFkExu1pMJXDE

Not the player he once was but might be a solid veteran target for Darnold for the right price. Has experience in the Gase system too, which would be helpful. He had his most success with Manning throwing to him in Gase's system fwiw.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He's not the guy he once was but a veteran with experience in the system could be beneficial. Gase may want Mac to jump on him.

31 coming off slowing down few seasons, recovering from torn achilles. I am not sure why anyone would be in a rush to sign this guy. Veteran sure, but he has not shown much in the last 2 years before the injury. If you want to take a chance on a veteran WR I could understand but there should be zero pressure or rush to sign him. He probably won't even be fully healthy until the mid to end of season.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Stark said:

31 coming off slowing down few seasons, recovering from torn achilles. I am not sure why anyone would be in a rush to sign this guy. Veteran sure, but he has not shown much in the last 2 years before the injury. If you want to take a chance on a veteran WR I could understand but there should be zero pressure or rush to sign him. He probably won't even be fully healthy until the mid to end of season.

I mean he averaged about 90 receptions, 1000 yards and 5 TD's with a combo of Trevor Simein, Brock Osweiler and Paxton Lynch at QB in the previous two years (2016, 2017). The big drop off was who was throwing him the ball. 

You're probably right about not needing to rush to sign him if they want him.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I wonder if the AAF will go for guys like this. If they want to be taken seriously as a "developmental league", they should steer clear of washed up has-beens.

TV ratings trump actual development of prospects.  Unless there are rules against it, I have no doubt there will be washed up vets playing soon enough. 

Here's another one.  How about suspended guys with no contracts.  Ray Rice, you want a comeback chance?  Come on down!  (j/k but if this were 3 years ago?)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

TV ratings trump actual development of prospects.  Unless there are rules against it, I have no doubt there will be washed up vets playing soon enough. 

Here's another one.  How about suspended guys with no contracts.  Ray Rice, you want a comeback chance?  Come on down!  (j/k but if this were 3 years ago?)

No politics lol.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I wonder if the AAF will go for guys like this. If they want to be taken seriously as a "developmental league", they should steer clear of washed up has-beens.

There are at least a handful of NFL vets in the league. Nick folk kicking for the hotshots. Zack Stacey is a running back. That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's others.

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Some really bad trades last year.  A 4th for this scrub?  Highway robbery by elway.

The eagles wasted a good pick on golden tate who they will not be resigning.  Another waste.  Nice move by the lions.

This is why I think you tender Robby Anderson with a 1st.  I think a lot of teams lower in the draft order would seriously consider dropping a 2nd rounder for him.  He's not Megatron but he has been and can continue to be a productive WR who has a lot of good years ahead of him.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This is why I think you tender Robby Anderson with a 1st.  I think a lot of teams lower in the draft order would seriously consider dropping a 2nd rounder for him.  He's not Megatron but he has been and can continue to be a productive WR who has a lot of good years ahead of him.

I'd tag him at the 2nd round level and probably end up taking the pick if someone is willing to sign him.  Let the market decide just how much he's worth rather than protecting him at a level where no one would be willing to touch him. 

He's about replacement level as a WR by the available metrics (# 55 WR on PFF in 2018, # 65 on FO in 2018, # 47 in 2017).  Why are we so afraid to lose him?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd tag him at the 2nd round level and probably end up taking the pick if someone is willing to sign him.  Let the market decide just how much he's worth rather than protecting him at a level where no one would be willing to touch him. 

He's about replacement level as a WR by the available metrics (# 55 WR on PFF in 2018, # 65 on FO in 2018, # 47 in 2017).  Why are we so afraid to lose him?

Because who do you replace him with?  Golden Tate?  Demaryius Thomas?  Also, the 2018 number is very skewed.  Look at his performance in the last 4 games after Sam got back.  He was a different player.  I'd rather bet on him continuing to perform at that level than bring in a vet who wasn't even that productive last year.  We can afford to overpay a bit this year so I think we use that to our advantage because I have little doubt that some team in the bottom 10 of the 2nd round would be more than willing to gamble on Robby.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, kelly said:

Demaryius Thomas had his best seasons working with Adam Gase but don't expect a reunion with the Jets              https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-demaryius-thomas-gase-20190212-story.html  

Mehta is a terrible journalist. He'd be a good message board poster sharing his opinions but a good journalist would reach out to sources who are willing to put there name on it and do some research before writing an "article". I have no idea how he remains employed.

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Because who do you replace him with?  Golden Tate?  Demaryius Thomas?

Who cares?  If he's barely above replacement level he's well worth the 2nd round pick, especially since we don't currently have one. 

But yes, Tate would be on my list of potential FA's.  As well as Adam Humphries and Cole Beasley.  This draft seems to have a plethora of good WR's in it, so we can also find an upgrade there. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Mehta is a terrible journalist. He'd be a good message board poster sharing his opinions but a good journalist would reach out to sources who are willing to put there name on it and do some research before writing an "article". I have no idea how he remains employed.

Mehta definitely posts here so he is already a message board poster....still doesn't make him a good journalist either but I digress.