Hockenson in a trade back

Jetster

This guy should be our target now that we have Sam Darnold in the fold. I'm not saying take him at 3, I'm only looking at him in a trade back & here's my reasoning.

We should fix 2 things instantly in free agency, the Oline & pass rush. Adam Gase likes balanced offensive football. The Patriots were almost unstoppable when they had Gronk & Hernandez. It's not sexy but we need to go from the worst blocking front to one of the best & pairing Hockenson with Herndon could make defending the Jets offense a nightmare! 

Imagine trying to stop an offense with a QB that has TIME that has speed (Anderson), power (Enunwa), a RB that can do it all out of the backfield (Bell), and 2 tight ends with one of them who can run, catch & block like Hockenson, plus Herndon, 3rd & shorts would be a nightmare for defenses when you have QB like Sam who can get the ball out quickly, move right, move left, QB sneak, Gase playbook is WIDE OPEN with an offense like this. THIS IS THE DRAFT to take a TE. This is no Kyle Brady or Becht. If we could trade for Sanu, you could have a BIGS lineup with Sanu, Quincy, Herndon, Hockenson, with Bell in the backfield? Good luck stopping that on 3rd & short!

Free agency...2 pass rushers (no one knows yet who will be available, Saffold & Paradis, we live with Beachum for 1 more year as Hockenson can help him out, Le'veon Bell, and a late round trade to secure a vet on a cap strapped team (Sanu). 

Based on this tradeback & taking Hockenson in the 1st, we will still have a 2nd, 3 thirds, giving us 4 more players in the top 100! 

A Jet fan can dream. 

HUGE fan of Hockenson.  The guy is a punishing blocker and an above average pass catcher.  He will definitely fill in two holes as he is also an extension of the offensive line with above average blocking ability.  As you mentioned a trade back will also most likely net a 2nd rounder where you can pick from a ton of talent.  A trade back can realistically lead to a Hockenson/C. Ridley or Hockenson/K. Harmon type scenario.  Instant instant upgrade to the offense.

1 minute ago, BurnleyJet said:

Can he play Left Tackle, Guard, or Edge Rusher? - If not then No, Anthony Becht 2.0 is not what I want.

A Tight End that can stretch the field and is also a great blocker is more valuable than a Guard. I am not a fan of him in the 6-7 range, but if we trade back to the 15 range then sure he is a viable option. 

Remember, we can sign a guard and LT in free agency. 

16 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

A Tight End that can stretch the field and is also a great blocker is more valuable than a Guard. I am not a fan of him in the 6-7 range, but if we trade back to the 15 range then sure he is a viable option. 

Remember, we can sign a guard and LT in free agency. 

Guard, yes.  A significant LT upgrade?  Probably not. 

This is exactly what I want. Will probably never happen, but as Hockenson seems to be emerging as the top skill position player in the draft I’m a big fan of the idea.

Love the idea running 12 personnel with two quality, versatile TE’s as I think it disguises the offense’s intentions and allows you to run or pass effectively. Darnold uses the TE well and a TE is a young QB’s best friend - why not two? Also helps hide the lack of WR depth.

Another day, another "Hey, I've got an idea! We should trade back" thread. :swing:

Let me guess, it will include such nuggets as "we need to go OL, protecting Sam should our first priority" or "please not another DL pick" and that old standby "somebody is going to want to move up for a QB..."

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

Can he play Left Tackle, Guard, or Edge Rusher? - If not then No, Anthony Becht 2.0 is not what I want.

Did u even READ the thread? Read it again! PASS RUSHERS & SAFFOLD + PARADIS in free agency. USE THE TEs to help out Beachum & Shell! Comprehende now?

I'd be happy if this happened, but trading back doesn't guarantee anything. Hockensen's draft value is rising and some mock drafts already have him as a top 5 or top 10 pick. Same goes with Josh Jacobs, who is also rising and who should also be in play for the Jets. Daniel Jeremiah at NFL.com has Hockensen and Jacobs at #5 and  #6 on his Top 50 board, respectively. Shocking, isn't it, after all the "experts" on this board laughed at @nico002 for suggesting Jacobs should be taken at #3 recently.

6 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I'd be happy if this happened, but trading back doesn't guarantee anything. Hockensen's draft value is rising and some mock drafts already have him as a top 5 or top 10 pick. Same goes with Josh Jacobs, who is also rising and who should also be in play for the Jets. Danial Jeremiah at NFL.com has Jacobs at #6 on his Top 50 board.

We need some young offensive stars to add to what we have. Trading back is so obvious for a team like the Jets it's a no brainer. Jets draft pick should read, OPEN FOR BUSINESS! 1 defensive player doesn't even move the needle for this team overall. 

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Another day, another "Hey, I've got an idea! We should trade back" thread. :swing:

Let me guess, it will include such nuggets as "we need to go OL, protecting Sam should our first priority" or "please not another DL pick" and that old standby "somebody is going to want to move up for a QB..."

You know you don’t have to follow the board during the off-season right? 

21 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I'd be happy if this happened, but trading back doesn't guarantee anything. Hockensen's draft value is rising and some mock drafts already have him as a top 5 or top 10 pick. Same goes with Josh Jacobs, who is also rising and who should also be in play for the Jets. Danial Jeremiah at NFL.com has Hockensen and Jacobs at #5 and  #6 on his Top 50 board, respectively. Shocking, isn't it, after all the "experts" on this board laughed at @nico002 for suggesting Jacobs should be taken at #3 recently.

Looking back at the recent run of top-10 RBs, I'm not feeling it anymore.  Fournette has injuries and hasn't been stellar.  Now Gurley has injuries.  Elliott and Barkley were amazing last year, but let's see how Barkley lasts behind that line for 3 years.  Most of the stuff I'm reading says the RB and WR value is in rounds 2-4 and the gap between Jacobs, who is very good, but not Barkley/Elliott good, and the next few RBs isn't worth burning a high first round pick on.

Now if Hockerson has 'Gronk-like' upside and is, in fact, the best skill position player in the draft, I'm probably more fine with that pick (not at 3, but maybe after trade-down) than Jacobs.

12 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

You know you don’t have to follow the board during the off-season right? 

This sh*t cracks me up. Jet fan creates Jets site to talk about the Jets. Jet fan visits, feels there's too much discussion about the Jets. Let's everyone know that he doesn't believe we can trade back, so he's not particularly interested in this thread but decides, hey, let me bitch about it anyway instead of picking a thread that might suit my input better. That just about sums it up. 

20 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I'd be happy if this happened, but trading back doesn't guarantee anything. Hockensen's draft value is rising and some mock drafts already have him as a top 5 or top 10 pick. Same goes with Josh Jacobs, who is also rising and who should also be in play for the Jets. Danial Jeremiah at NFL.com has Hockensen and Jacobs at #5 and  #6 on his Top 50 board, respectively. Shocking, isn't it, after all the "experts" on this board laughed at @nico002 for suggesting Jacobs should be taken at #3 recently.

You’re absolutely right, no guarantee he’s there if you move down.

That said, throw out there that Jeremiah’s rankings don’t really account for positional value. You get two quarterbacks in the top 5 which is certainly possible and that pushes everybody else down.

Also think the class has a top tier with Bosa, Allen, and Williams at this point and after those guys come off the board it’s going to be more of a beauty is in the eye of the beholder thing. That second tier is big.

Two more thoughts on Hockenson too. One will be it’s going to be important how he shows athletically. Tight ends rarely go top ten, and even as an outstanding blocker and quality pass catcher, I don’t think an average athlete at a position the NFL has not prioritized at all goes top ten. Don’t care what he runs from a Jets standpoint but I do think it’ll influence where he goes.

Two, big appeal with Hockenson is that on top of him and Herndon keeping the offense versatile and unpredictable, he’s going t impact the running game and the passing game. While he’s not an offensive linemen and hopefully he doesn’t spend much time in pass protection he’s going to improve your team’s ability to run the ball with his blocking, and obviously he gives Darnold a weapon in the passing game. Not quite splitting the difference between an OL and a WR but you get aspects of both - and both are needs. You clean up the OL in FA and he’s got to be looking pretty good.

So here is my Hockenson thoughts.  Obviously I've seen him quite a bit.  I've shared a bit of this in another thread.

Hockenson is a beast.  He's more of a complete package as a TE than Herndon or his teammate at Iowa Fant.  He is a nasty blocker and has incredible hands.  Makes a lot of catches in traffic.  From simply a receiving "playmaker"(downfield) I think both Herndon and Fant are more of that mold.  Hockenson is the better overall package.

My concern with Hockenson is how much his production is a byproduct of Fant being so highly regarded going into this year.  Fant took a lot of schematic eyes off Hockenson this year, and TJ destroyed people.  Part of that is TJ being a beast, but it is worth mentioning in my book.

I will be very interested to see how Hockenson tests.  I think Hockenson is more in the mold of a someone like Jason Witten.  I don't think he'll run "great" but more than fine for the position.  From a receiving stand point, Fant is the Iowa TE who would be closest to offering what George Kittle offers, a dynamic play maker.  Fant is not the blocker Kittle(or Hockenson) is though.

As far as Hockenson'a potential fit with the Jets, I don't think it's a bad idea(or a second good TE).  If a #1 receiver doesn't fall in their laps, two good every down TEs and a versatile RB that can catch the ball is another very good way to create a lot of stress on opposing defenses

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This sh*t cracks me up. Jet fan creates Jets site to talk about the Jets. Jet fan visits, feels there's too much discussion about the Jets. Let's everyone know that he doesn't believe we can trade back, so he's not particularly interested in this thread but decides, hey, let me bitch about it anyway instead of picking a thread that might suit my input better. That just about sums it up. 

You keep creating elite #content, Jetster, and all these fools will eventually come around

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Looking back at the recent run of top-10 RBs, I'm not feeling it anymore.  Fournette has injuries and hasn't been stellar.  Now Gurley has injuries.  Elliott and Barkley were amazing last year, but let's see how Barkley lasts behind that line for 3 years.  Most of the stuff I'm reading says the RB and WR value is in rounds 2-4 and the gap between Jacobs, who is very good, but not Barkley/Elliott good, and the next few RBs isn't worth burning a high first round pick on.

Now if Hockerson has 'Gronk-like' upside and is, in fact, the best skill position player in the draft, I'm probably more fine with that pick (not at 3, but maybe after trade-down) than Jacobs.

A good TE that can block is actually more important than taking a shot at a LT in the draft that may be better suited at RT or Guard. Do you know why Trent Brown gave up more pressures? Because McDaniel trusted him to go one on one most games where Gronk would line up at End on the Right side. The Pats DOMINATED when they ran to Gronks side! Especially with Gronk on the right side & Devlin the FB in with Michel. Won them a freaking Super Bowl! 

All year long we were wondering if Brady could throw them into the Super Bowl & instead they used Gronk as a blocking end 80% of the time & dominated the Chargers & KC on the ground and won both games in the 1st half wearing down their defenses. Pats were the best running team in the playoffs out of the final 4 except for the Saints, who had the balance & the QB to whoop the Pats! But the refs AGAIN helped the Patriots. Weird the luck New England has had over the years getting to & winning Super Bowls.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Did u even READ the thread? Read it again! PASS RUSHERS & SAFFOLD + PARADIS in free agency. USE THE TEs to help out Beachum & Shell! Comprehende now?

Your point is good  Your spelling of Spanish words is terrible.  Is that Spanglish?   He would be a steal at #15.  At number 7,  bit of a luxury pick.  At that spot I think we'd have bigger fish to fry.  Unless of course he'd project to be a Tony Gonzalez.  That's a horse of a different color.  Excellent prospect.  Fits the Gase offensive concept.

A TE thread and no one tagged me. Huh. 

Not that anyone listens to me - but I hear you guys talk about “no brainer” and “pairing up with Herndon” and “12 personnel” packages... I feel like this should be obvious to most of you, but you’re talking about pairing up two Ys... you need a Y and an F tight end. It’s the other Iowa TE, Noah Fant you want. Herndon’s already establshed himself as the Y dating back to playing with Njoku. Fant played the F alongside Hockenson at Y. 

You’re welcome. 

4 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I can't even express how pissed I will be if we draft a tight end in the first three rounds.  Extremely low priority.  We need Oline and edge rush, and we have to go in that direction, depending on what happens in free agency.

Uh....yea....this entire thread was 1st about getting 2 pass rushers & 2 lineman in free agency, hence the talk of taking Hockenson for Darnold. If Hockenson ends up being a Jason Witten redux, sign me the hell up!

4 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Your point is good  Your spelling of Spanish words is terrible.  He would be a steal at #15.  At number 7,  bit of a luxury pick.  At that spot I think we'd have bigger fish to fry.  Unless of course he'd project to be a Tony Gonzalez.  That's a horse of a different color.  Excellent prospect.

Comprehende is actually Esperanto

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Not that anyone listens to me - but I hear you guys talk about “no brainer” and “pairing up with Herndon” and “12 personnel” packages... I feel like this should be obvious to most of you, but you’re talking about pairing up two Ys... you need a Y and an F tight end. It’s the other Iowa TE, Noah Fant you want. Herndon’s already establshed himself as the Y dating back to playing with Njoku. Fant played the F alongside Hockenson at Y. 

You’re welcome. 

That last part isn't true.  They both played both spots at Iowa.  Hockenson played more in line than Fant, but they both played in both spots quite a bit.

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That last part isn't true.  They both played both spots at Iowa.  Hockenson played more in line than Fant, but they both played in both spots quite a bit.

Isn't Hockenson more of a Witten type & Fant more of Njoku? Just curious since obviously you've seen a lot of their games. 

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

From an effective standpoint - Fant is an F tight end. In the NFL if you run a 12, you’re mileage is going to come from running Hockenson at Y. I know they jockeyed them around in college but their best use imo came from running them at their natural positions in the 12. 

Taking Hockenson and asking he or Herndon to be the F would not be good use of resources. 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Guard, yes.  A significant LT upgrade?  Probably not. 

If we are sitting at 15 and the options are two equally graded players, one being a LT and one being a TE, you take the LT every time. But what if you have Hockenson versus 2 or 3 LTs that has a 2nd round grades? That is where it gets tricky. 

Remember, in this scenario we are trading back and likely have a 2nd and 3 3rd round picks. We can take a flier on a couple of lineman in those and/or later rounds. 

I would be OK with it if he was a dynamic threat in the passing game. What is his size like? He's listed at 6'6 but he looks smaller than that on tape. My concern is that hes just a Heath Miller type TE. Good at everything but not a matchup nightmare for the defense. 

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Isn't Hockenson more of a Witten type & Fant more of Njoku? Just curious since obviously you've seen a lot of their games. 

I have a lengthy post earlier in the thread giving my thoughts, but yes.  I do see Hockenson more in the Witten mold.

I don't know about the Njoku comparison for Fant.  Maybe in how they are used?  Fant should blow Njoku's combine numbers out of the water.  Fant reminds me of Jimmie Graham.  Njoku reminds me of Vernon Davis.  

33 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Sorry, it's actually a thread I'm interested in. I really do want to learn more about this Hockenson kid. I'd love to get another really good young TE to pair with Herndon

My post was intended to be a joke, and not a snarky one either. Simply a "I know where this is going" type of thing. If it didn't come off that way, that's on me.

23 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You’re welcome. 

^^  +1

Archived