Jack Azz Mike named worst GM in the business

hmhertz

43 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

But it’s the most important part by far and he is atrocious at it. That’s like saying there is more to being a head chef than just cooking food but constantly burning/ruining meals or getting the worst ingredients.

I hope you aren’t trying to defend Mac with this statement because that’s ridiculous. GM is most responsible for roster despite other duties. He is the absolute worst GM when it comes to this.

He’s bad at everything except no brainer top 6 picks but he arguably still messes up by drafting non impact positions that can be had in FA (not talking about Sam). He also gets he occasional nice find like Robbie and Henry Anderson. That’s literally it. For every 1 good move, he’s had 10 bad moves. A GM needs a better hit rate than that. 

Don’t make assumptions.  The post wasn’t defending him at all.  It was in response to everyone who thinks that is all they do.

And it depends on who you are speaking to, in regards to whether they think it is the most important aspect of the job or not.  It is to most fans (as it is the most visible) but to ownership?  Maybe, maybe not. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Don’t make assumptions.  The post wasn’t defending him at all.  It was in response to everyone who thinks that is all they do.

And it depends on who you are speaking to, in regards to whether they think it is the most important aspect of the job or not.  It is to most fans, but to ownership?  Maybe, maybe not. 

I gave you the benefit of the doubt by saying “I hope you aren’t defending him”. 

Out of curiosity, what is your opinion of Mac and do you think that roster management(drafting/FA Etc.) is the most important part of his job?

30 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I gave you the benefit of the doubt by saying “I hope you aren’t defending him”. 

Out of curiosity, what is your opinion of Mac and do you think that roster management(drafting/FA Etc.) is the most important part of his job?

To be quite honest, I don’t completely know the inner workings of the jets front office compared to other teams, and don’t know exactly what responsibilities are Macs vs the other jets executives, besides the fact that he is supposedly in charge of the roster.  There are a lot of different organizational models to choose from, and unfortunately teams don’t give us much more than a glimpse at it all.

That being said, he is the face of the front office, and the win loss record is self explanatory.  If I was ownership, I am not sure if I would have given him another chance or not.  It would really depend on a lot of factors, and would come down to whether I thought he had a vision for the future, was learning from his mistakes and was doing a good job managing his responsibilities.  I am sure some changes were necessary, but I honestly don’t have enough information to say exactly what they were.

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I don’t know all of his moves, but giving Jimmy G that massive contract on very little production was very Tanny/Sanchezey. And that was before the injury.

High risk to be sure. 

Jimmy goes FA, he gets that in a heartbeat.

39 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

To be quite honest, I don’t completely know the inner workings of the jets front office compared to other teams, and don’t know exactly what responsibilities are Macs vs the other jets executives, besides the fact that he is supposedly in charge of the roster.  There are a lot of different organizational models to choose from, and unfortunately teams don’t give us much more than a glimpse at it all.

That being said, he is the face of the front office, and the win loss record is self explanatory.  If I was ownership, I am not sure if I would have given him another chance or not.  It would really depend on a lot of factors, and would come down to whether I thought he had a vision for the future, was learning from his mistakes and was doing a good job managing his responsibilities.  I am sure some changes were necessary, but I honestly don’t have enough information to say exactly what they were.

I agree that many of us have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. I was specifically curious if you agree that roster management is the most important task of a GM and how you think he has done in that capacity?

I personally think he’s bottom 5 at the very best in this category if I’m being generous. I personally believe he has been the absolute worst over the last 4 years and it’s not even close.

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I agree that many of us have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. I was specifically curious if you agree that roster management is the most important task of a GM and how you think he has done in that capacity?

I personally think he’s bottom 5 at the very best in this category if I’m being generous. I personally believe he has been the absolute worst over the last 4 years and it’s not even close.

Which in your belief is that even the worst GM can have some successes

In defense of our GM I think he's made some very smart moves, some great trade's, contracts and excellent picks. I get the feeling that some fair-weather fans don't really understand what it takes to build a football team and how hard that actually is. Obviously everything is always in flux, and I would last head coach had three different offensive coordinators in 4 years? We have a hundred million in cap space the number three pick a franchise quarterback and whether I like him personally or not Jamal Adams as the quarterback on defense. I love the coaching staff we just put together and it all looks like fireworks from here

Seriously do you think other teams don't make bad trades or Dole out horrible contracts to free agents or make bad draft picks that are complete busts? All you can name is 5 to7 guys on any successful team worth a crap. Take the Patriots the Packers the 49ers the Cowboys or whoever else you'd like to name. What's so great about their backups their trades their draft picks or the bottom 75% of their roster?

I will also say this. Brian costello was just on and he said that he is most interested in seeing Leonard Williams, Darron Lee and Trumanine Johnson under Gregg Williams. Said that they need a kick in the butt and Williams will provide that.

That might change the outlook of Macc if those players start to really up their game.

I swear to God, the Gregg Williams hire might very well be the best hire the Jets have made I a long long time 

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I will also say this. Brian costello was just on and he said that he is most interested in seeing Leonard Williams, Darron Lee and Trumanine Johnson under Gregg Williams. Said that they need a kick in the butt and Williams will provide that.

That might change the outlook of Macc if those players start to really up their game.

I swear to God, the Gregg Williams hire might very well be the best hire the Jets have made I a long long time 

Sort of like commenting on a boat that we haven't seen sail yet.  I LOVE the hire.. but as a JETS fan, I want to see results before I masturbate.

He's not wrong as of now, but Chad Forbes also said that the consensus feeling at last year's combine was that Kirk Cousins was going to be a Jet soooo I'll put the legitimacy of this on par with a opinion piece.

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

A dude who won't put his name on it at that.

This misconception is been brought up a few times here. So this tweet and the way it was done and the thread title are all a mess. That said, not many people are going to put their name to saying who is really bad at their jobs for fear of blowback. That’s how sources work. You ask someone something. They say they don’t want to be identified, and so you say sources. That being said, if Adam Schefter says sources, it’s gospel. But anyone else says sources say, and heaven forbid it’s not something you want to hear, and it’s “why won’t they put their name on it?!?!” Please.  

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

This misconception is been brought up a few times here. So this tweet and the way it was done and the thread title are all a mess. That said, not many people are going to put their name to saying who is really bad at their jobs for fear of blowback. That’s how sources work. You ask someone something. They say they don’t want to be identified, and so you say sources. That being said, if Adam Schefter says sources, it’s gospel. But anyone else says sources say, and heaven forbid it’s not something you want to hear, and it’s “why won’t they put their name on it?!?!” Please.  

It's not like he's even saying something controversial. The Jets have been bad under Macs watch and we're picking 3rd this year. Anonymous sources have their place but they're way over used in sports reporting. 

It's not a misconception, I put a lot more stock in quotes when there's a name on it. I don't really care if you or anyone else has a problem with that. ?‍♂️

24 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Which in your belief is that even the worst GM can have some successes

Not sure I follow but I’ll take a stab. Yes, the worst GM can have some success. No one completely strikes out everywhere. The hit % of his moves is terrible overall as well as overall philosophy but he has had some good moves. I would hope he had at least some good moves given the insane amounts of cap space and multiple top 6 picks. 

Maccagnan definitely does have a horseshoe up his ass:

1.  He's lucky Kirk Cousins didn't accept his ridiculous $30 million-per-year contract. Imagine what we would be saying about Macc and the Jets today if that had happened and the Jets were stuck with Cousins for two more years.

2. He's lucky the Giants didn't select Darnold. Can you imagine what we would be saying about Macc and the Jets today for  giving away three second-round picks for Josh Rosen?

24 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Seriously do you think other teams don't make bad trades or Dole out horrible contracts to free agents or make bad draft picks that are complete busts? All you can name is 5 to7 guys on any successful team worth a crap. Take the Patriots the Packers the 49ers the Cowboys or whoever else you'd like to name. What's so great about their backups their trades their draft picks or the bottom 75% of their roster?

No team is perfect, so really there's no difference between any of them.  Right?

18 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Hot Take: John Elway belongs on that list over Lynch and Macc.

He has been a nightmare but did get Manning and a Super Bowl. Early on he wasn’t terrible but that wears off eventually. Mac has been terrible his whole tenure which gives him the edge in my book. It’s close though. 

3 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Maccagnan definitely does have a horseshoe up his ass:

1.  He's lucky Kirk Cousins didn't accept his ridiculous $30 million-per-year contract. Imagine what we would be saying about Macc and the Jets today if that had happened and the Jets were stuck with Cousins for two more years.

2. He's lucky the Giants didn't select Darnold. Can you imagine what we would be saying about Macc and the Jets today for  giving away three second-round picks for Josh Rosen?

The genius of Macc is that he created a team so bad, that a guy turned down 90M guaranteed, to go play in Minnesota for less money.  He's two steps ahead of us all!

17 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

He has been a nightmare but did get Manning and a Super Bowl. Early on he wasn’t terrible but that wears off eventually. Mac has been terrible his whole tenure which gives him the edge in my book. It’s close though. 

I get that, but if we're going to rip Macc for falling ass backwards into Sam and spending money on FAs in 2015, his only successful year, then everyone else is fair game, IMO.  Maccagnan, for all his flaws, has done a "better" job than Elway when you take away convincing Manning to join a team he didn't even build in order to attract other FAs for a big run.  That Super Bowl is all Kubiak and Peyton.  Kubiak coached like a master, hired Wade Phillips, and Peyton attracted every FA unde the sun.  There was little done by Elway.

I don't even think Macc is worse than Tannenbaum.  I think the coaching has been a bigger problem.  That doesn't absolve him at all, but if Gase, Williams, and co. make this work, the opinion on Maccagnan will change drastically, just as the opinion on Elway remains that he is great in the eyes of the public.

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's not like he's even saying something controversial. The Jets have been bad under Macs watch and we're picking 3rd this year. Anonymous sources have their place but they're way over used in sports reporting. 

It's not a misconception, I put a lot more stock in quotes when there's a name on it. I don't really care if you or anyone else has a problem with that. ?‍♂️

Every single person in the news media would love to have nothing but quotes from people with their names on it. That’s not how it works in any form. The biggest news of the day is almost always broken with sources or people with knowledge of the subject. That’s the way it’s always been done. I don’t have a problem with you not liking it but complaining about it seems hollow. It’s like complaining about water being wet. That’s just the way it is. 

18 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

No team is perfect, so really there's no difference between any of them.  Right?

Actually no team is perfect and there's lots of differences. Some have a great linebacking and some have great wide receivers some have great offensive or defensive lines. They all have good and bad coaches make good and bad draft picks and they  all over pay free agents. My point was acting like our team sucks because we're dealing with the same crap as every other team is ridiculous. It's not easy to run an NFL franchise

4 hours ago, Butterfield said:

Like the quoted post says, there is more to being gm than people realize.  Its funny when people think the only thing they do is manage the roster.  

Macc's To-Do List (in order of importance)

1. Empty recycling bin in Conference Room B.

2. Make sure printer has enough paper in paper tray.

3. Snacks!!

4. Gas up Mr. Johnson's car.

5. Manage roster.

Archived