Jets "Undeniably the favorite" to sign Le'Veon Bell this offseason

dmoe

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

the  only team above that needs a rb is the eagles

Yeah okay. KC lost their guy. Houston adding Bell probably makes them a Super Bowl contender if they stay healthy. Indy has a decent back but Bell elevates them to the next level.

Bell is simply not worth the money he wants or will be paid.  He is this season's Kirk Cousins.  With what happened to top RBs this season - Gurley, Hunt, Fournette, Gordon, Ajayi, Johnson, Freeman, McKinnon , plus seeing how ineffective David Johnson was on an poor offensive team, plus seeing how effective Connor replaced Bell in Pitt - all signs indicate it is not worth paying a RB big money at all.  Pass. Please pass.  Take a younger Coleman for 1/5th the price and no locker room headaches.  

6 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

All you hear this time of year is conflicting reporting. We will all know soon enough. The Jets may be “interested” but not serious by presenting a low ball offer.

So sure, they may be perceived as “interested” in the many reports that are sure to come out but that doesn’t mean serious. I have no clue what to expect at this point. 

I'd be interested in a 2-3 year deal at reasonable money.  But that's probably the exact contract that Bell is not looking for.  But if I'm Macc I'd make that offer and stand firm.  If he doesn't want it then let him sign elsewhere.

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Yes.  There is a small dead-money hit because Foles voided his last year but they stand at $4MM under the cap as of today.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/philadelphia-eagles/

Maybe they're a team we could trade with.  We could take on one of their bad contracts and they could give us a 2nd rounder or something like that.  

I think the big decision Macaganan has to make is if he does make the offer to Leveon, how long do you allow him to make a decision? Is it take it now while your in the building? Or they allow him time ?   My concern is while you are waiting on Leveon (who I firmly believes would prefer to be elsewhere than here) do you also then lose out on Tevin while you are waiting ??

NFL Rumors: This Patriots rival is "undeniably the favorite" for Le'Veon Bell

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
763be2c3ef497540d48302ac624d5e2c The New York Jets aren't a real threat to the New England Patriots' standing atop the AFC East and the conference as a whole, but they would provide a tougher challenge for Tom Brady and Co. with the addition of star running back Le'Veon Bell.

NFL Rumors: This Patriots rival is "undeniably the favorite" for Le'Veon Bell originally appeared on nbcsportsboston.com

The New York Jets aren't a real threat to the New England Patriots' standing atop the AFC East and the conference as a whole, but they would provide a tougher challenge for Tom Brady and Co. with the addition of star running back Le'Veon Bell.

Connor Hughes of The Athletic reported an update Monday on the Jets' free-agent pursuit of Bell, and it sounds like they're in the pole position to land him.

I heard from one high-profile agent who is well versed in the running back market that the Jets are "undeniably the favorite" to sign the Steelers running back. Another, however, said that while the Jets would pursue Bell and shouldn't be ruled out, they aren't alone, with the Eagles and Buccaneers also in the running.

The Jets struggled running the football last season. They ranked 29th in yards per carry and finished tied for 23rd in rushing touchdowns. Veteran running back Isaiah Crowell led the Jets with just 685 rushing yards and six touchdowns last season.

Bell not only would significantly upgrade the Jets' run game, he'd also boost their passing attack. Bell tallied 1,290 rushing yards with nine touchdowns, in addition to 85 receptions for 655 receiving yards and two touchdowns during the 2017 campaign (he sat out the 2018 season). He's arguably the league's best dual-threat running back.

He's also fared pretty well against the Patriots. In three career games versus New England, Bell has averaged 90.7 rushing yards and 4.46 yards per carry. He's also averaged 9.53 yards per catch on 19 career receptions against the Pats. 

Bell has totaled 1,035 total yards (679 rushing and 356 receiving) and five total touchdowns in seven career games against the Jets' division opponents (Patriots, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins). 

The Patriots should cruise to another AFC East title in 2019, and it wouldn't be surprising if they continued their recent dominance (9-1 in the last 10 meetings) over the Jets. Still, there's no question the Jets would be tougher to gameplan against if Bell was in the backfield. His presence likely would take a lot of pressure off young quarterback Sam Darnold, who endured an up-and-down rookie season in 2018.

8 hours ago, rayzor said:

That's odd.  I just read a few articles posted within the past 24 hours saying that we have "little interest" and will focus on signing a "2nd tier" running back.

Right.  It's getting pretty ridiculous at this point. 

Mike Maccagnan and the New York Jets are reportedly showing “little interest” in Le’Veon Bell, rather targeting second-tier running backs.

Robby Sabo

Perhaps the New York Jets are on the right offseason track after all.

According to Tony Pauline of Draft Analyst, the Jets are showing “little interest” in mega free-agent Le’Veon Bell. In addition, they are “targeting second-tier running backs” in favor of the All-Pro back.

Yes. While, of course, any report must be met with severe skepticism, I’ve been on board with this train since day one.

Bell, 27, is an unreliable yet ultra-talented back whose new contract will (most likely) make him the richest back in the NFL. Remember, this is the position that bleeds value more than any spot on the professional football field. It also showcases incredible dependence on the most critical unit on the field, the offensive line.

New York Jets

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network previously reported that Bell and his camp are seeking a $17 million per campaign and $45 million fully guaranteed deal.

Though New York sports over $100 million in cap space, every dollar counts as per value. With so many depth chart holes at the current moment, it’d be highly-questionable to dish out such a rich contract to a guy who oftentimes misses games and will be 28 at this time next year.

The correct blueprint to success revolves around “building the house.” Gobble up center Matt Paradis and edge players in free agency prior to drafting young, decade-long offensive linemen early in the draft.

Sam Darnold needs that decade-long left tackle much more than any current hole witnessed on the depth chart.

Of course, this report can turn out to be complete garbage. We don’t know. Only time will tell revolving around the Le’Veon Bell to the New York Jets notion this offseason.

One way or another, the man will get his money.

23 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Ofcourse we’re the favorite nobody else wants him

lol  I honestly believe this is the case. Of course anyone would want his production as he's a great player. That's not in question. What IS in question is whether or not paying a RB $17-18 mil per for 4-5 years guaranteed is any too smart.  Add to it that he sat out a year when he was franchised at $14.5, and the thoughts of whatever BS the buyer will have to deal with in the future are sure to creep in.  Will he even care about putting his body on the line once he is paid?  Will there be a divisive situation with him in the future?  It just might not be worth it. No matter how much a team loves what he can do on the field. I think more teams are going to look at it that way rather than jumping head first into a Bell sweepstakes. We may be bidding against ourselves.

Personally I have a sneaking suspicion he will stay off of the field at every little injury he has and will ultimately divide the locker room or at minimum create animosity among the players who are playing through injury etc. 

If they could get him at 3 years $45 mil with like 25 Guaranteed or something like that after cutting Crowell, I suppose that might be worth the risk, but that's more than likely not happening. I am not in the pay whatever Bell wants camp. It's just not worth the potential BS and I'd rather they go another route. 

Sign Bell (give him three years guaranteed money so he can be cut when he hits 30 and doesn't produce), upgrade the offensive line (sign Paradis or Mitch Morse to begin with) and sign someone like Adam Humphries, Tyrell Williams or Cole Beasley and you immediately make Darnold's life much easier and give opposing defensive coordinators sleepless nights.

Then you go into the draft with a plan to either trade back in the first round and recoup draft capital spent moving up to draft Darnold last year or, if you can't find a deal you like, and assuming Arizona sh*t the bed and take Kyler Murray first overall, take whomever out of Bosa or Allen is left at #3.

If Gase and Loggains can't turn Darnold, Bell, Humphries (as an example), Anderson, Enunwa and Herndon into a set of skill players that can net a good number of points on a consistent basis, then fire them and find a head coach and offensive coordinator who can.

I don't want chumps like Tevin Coleman on my team. He isn't good enough to elevate the players around him and is basically a side-ways move from Crowell/Powell. If the Jets strike out on Bell, then I wouldn't want them to sign any running back in free agency and instead hit the draft to find someone - if Maccagnan can swing a few deals, then I'd be happy for the Jets to take someone like Josh Jacobs, Damien Harris, etc, late round 1 or in round 2.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

It wont happen.  Too good to be true. 

Tevin Coleman will be the Jets starter because Jets. 

You're an optimist. I'm setting my expectation at Marlon Mack after Colts pair Luck with Bell.

21 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Bell is simply not worth the money he wants or will be paid.  He is this season's Kirk Cousins.  With what happened to top RBs this season - Gurley, Hunt, Fournette, Gordon, Ajayi, Johnson, Freeman, McKinnon , plus seeing how ineffective David Johnson was on an poor offensive team, plus seeing how effective Connor replaced Bell in Pitt - all signs indicate it is not worth paying a RB big money at all.  Pass. Please pass.  Take a younger Coleman for 1/5th the price and no locker room headaches.  

I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you think that you’re getting someone like Coleman for exponentially less than Bell.

In all likelihood, Coleman is going to get a deal averaging between $8-10 million a year like what McKinnon got last offseason from San Fran. And Coleman, much like McKinnon, hasn’t even proven that he can be an every down back.

I’d much rather pay Bell an extra $6 million a year and have arguably the best RB in the league for the next 2-3 years who qualifies as elite at every aspect of the position.

7 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I think the Jets would be nuts NOT to pursue Bell.  To me the bigger and more important question is if Bell WANTS to be a Jet or not.  If the answer is yes, then it will get done IMO. 

Bell wants the bag.  if we show him the most money his loyalty is to us, and the same can be said for all other teams.  he doesn't have a loyalty to a certain club.  He's a hired gun, and there hasnt been anything to prove otherwise.

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Mack is a beast.  I wanted him in the draft.  I'd prefer him to Coleman. 

Not a big catcher out of backfield but pair him with Duke Johnson and it could be a nice mix.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

I would be ecstatic if that happens.  Mack is someone who in my opinion still flies under the radar with talent.  If he stays healthy, he is absolutely a beast.

I cant see them parting with Mack though.  even if they get Bell, he has an injury history, and a chance at a lengthy suspension still needs to be planned for in case he slips up.  Mack is too valuable still being on a rookie contract. 

2 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Bell wants the bag.  if we show him the most money his loyalty is to us, and the same can be said for all other teams.  he doesn't have a loyalty to a certain club.  He's a hired gun, and there hasnt been anything to prove otherwise.

Exactly. Which is why Macc must pursue him. Bell will not ditch Jets at altar for less cash elsewhere. Not sure Macc can survive another embarassment like that, after getting that treatment by two FAs that we know of last off season.

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

1 minute ago, chrisfaceoff said:

I would be ecstatic if that happens.  Mack is someone who in my opinion still flies under the radar with talent.  If he stays healthy, he is absolutely a beast.

I cant see them parting with Mack though.  even if they get Bell, he has an injury history, and a chance at a lengthy suspension still needs to be planned for in case he slips up.  Mack is too valuable still being on a rookie contract. 

Let's play this out. Let's assume as a hypothetical Colts get Bell and are willing to trade Mack. What would you trade for him? Too bad we don't have a 2nd rounder, that would probably do it. What about a 4th this year and a 2nd in 2020?

The Jets have not been a desired destination for free agents in recent years, regardless of how much money they offer. Ask Kirk Cousins. The hope is that with a coaching change and shiny new franchise QB in tow, the perception around the league is changing. Bell’s decision to come here will go a long way to changing that perception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, ChuckkieB said:

The Jets have not been a desired destination for free agents in recent years, regardless of how much money they offer. Ask Kirk Cousins. The hope is that with a coaching change and shiny new franchise QB in tow, the perception around the league is changing. Bell’s decision to come here will go a long way to changing that perception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bell and winning changes everything! 

11 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

It's also called "a free agent."

You can get them during the free agency period every year, in every sport btw.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

You're an optimist. I'm setting my expectation at Marlon Mack after Colts pair Luck with Bell.

Marlon Mack is a good option, if he shakes loose.  But why would the Colts part ways with him.  Of  the four backs currently on the Colts roster, it makes the most sense to keep Mack and Hines or Wilkins, while cutting bait with Jonathan Williams.  Mack is young and a very good runner.  A perfect insurance policy in the event of a Bell signing.  He is not the receiver that Nyheim Hines is , but either is Wilkins.

They are all young, signed to rookie deals and the Colts have tons of cap space. If the Colts cut two then I see Williams, for sure, and  possibly Wilkins getting the boot. Wish you were right, but I don't see the logic in parting ways with Mack at this point, barring a trade which would cost a #3 pick or better.

49 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

It's also called "a free agent."

You can get them during the free agency period every year, in every sport btw.

Clever.  I'm aware of that.  My point in saying is someone wont always try to set the mark and go to the top of the pay scale for their position.

Without a doubt Bell is one of the top play makers to hit unrestricted FA, but some may go to a team with more pieces in place(like Kirk did) over going for the highest paying bidder, which I have no doubt Bell will be doing based on his actions he's already taken.

Not knocking the guy either for it.  We could get Bell if Macc wants.  He just has to pay the most.  I just don't think he will.

On 3/4/2019 at 3:00 PM, Lupz27 said:

3 for 45 guaranteed put in all the other fake years, and numbers to make it look really shiny, but 3 for 45 gives you Bell’s 27, 28, and 29 year old years, and he sat out the equivalent of 2 seasons between contract and injuries to counter the work load argument.  Nothing wrong with giving RB #1, AND WR #3 because he can, and does fill both roles 15 million per from the age of 27-29 when it’s about 8% of your cap space who really can be upset with that kind of signing right now after the last 8 years of talent they have put on the field offensively at the playmaker positions 2015 aside?

I'll be honest. I'm very iffy on signing Bell. That said, the bolded above is the best argument I've seen for why the money he wants shouldn't scare us away.

Archived