So when do the jets sign Justin Houston?

Philc1

So far it’s been a good offseason.  I like all the moves the jets have made.  Barr did us a favor.  I was opposed to signing Bell but his contract is reasonable.  Mosely is the leader on defense we haven’t had since the Rex days.  Just one thing left: EDGE

and the jets need two edge rushers not just one.  If you want to setup Bosa or Allen for success line them up opposite this guy:

809BE9AE-8106-4179-AF82-083D9E3EB86C.jpeg

21 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

More than one thing remains we still need 2 corners and a center pretty bad

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Harrison is starting at Center next season

Roby and Desir both signed

If we sign Houston and draft Allen our pass rush would be so good we could make mediocre corners look good

What are Houston priorities? Money, winning or location? I know this is a guy the Pats would target to not lose a compensatory pick. His play has definitely fallen off so don't be stuck on the name brand. I'm ok with giving him two years. Is $10 mil good enough? Since we sre the Jets $11?

This is a 14 million dollar/year  investment we are talking about here.  For a 30 year old edge rusher who isn't getting better.  Still has plenty left in the tank,  but the cost seems prohibitive. Spending this kind of money at this juncture in free agency would take a high ticket slot, corner, receiver and offensive lineman out of the loop.

We currently have Hewitt, Luvu, Lee, and Jenkins to use in those capacities for blitzing schemes. And  the safeties. Yes, I know that Jenkins plays the other side, and those choices aren't the "sexy name" that Houston brings. Williams is known for bringing pressure from everywhere with everybody, that's why I mention this.  I like him and would love to have him here, but this might be a little bit of overkill, considering the contingent of fans here who want edge rush in the draft.

The point you make about needing two edge rushers is spot on and points to Macc’s biggest failure this offseason IMO. Losing Barr stung but it was made worse by both Smiths agreeing with the Packers.

Thought the Jets should’ve gone after Barr and one of those two (ideally ZaDarius). Would’ve made Barr backing out sting a little less.

Houston would be good, Ansah would be fine too. Would like one or the other, Barrett from Denver, and a draft pick somewhere.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

If we sign Houston and draft Allen our pass rush would be so good we could make mediocre corners look good

Ok, enough! That's two consecutive positive posts in one thread. Who is this, and what have you done to Phil??

No way this is him.

43 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

This is a 14 million dollar/year  investment we are talking about here.  For a 30 year old edge rusher who isn't getting better.  Still has plenty left in the tank,  but the cost seems prohibitive. Spending this kind of money at this juncture in free agency would take a high ticket slot, corner, receiver and offensive lineman out of the loop.

We currently have Hewitt, Luvu, Lee, and Jenkins to use in those capacities for blitzing schemes. And  the safeties. Yes, I know that Jenkins plays the other side, and those choices aren't the "sexy name" that Houston brings. Williams is known for bringing pressure from everywhere with everybody, that's why I mention this.  I like him and would love to have him here, but this might be a little bit of overkill, considering the contingent of fans here who want edge rush in the draft.

Live a little Joe!

As exciting as Lee, Luvu and Jenkins sound, I'd spring for Houston. Hell, then I'd take Allen at 3 after that. Word on the street is we're allowed to have two guys that rush the passer. 

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Live a little Joe!

As exciting as Lee, Luvu and Jenkins sound, I'd spring for Houston. Hell, then I'd take Allen at 3 after that. Word on the street is we're allowed to have two guys that rush the passer. 

If they don't take Q Williams,[ who I want, but they won't take, or who won't be there], they will have Bosa or Allen there for them.  Would like to trade back, but that won't happen either, unless someone comes up for Haskins.  Giants will wait for him at #6, so no trade there. I see Houston as overkill, especially if you draft and edge rusher, the money is best spent elsewhere at this point.  A friend of mine on another thread was lamenting about the holes that need filling.  I think he's right.  The money spent on Houston could be well spent on filling three of those holes, don't you think, friend??

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

If they don't take Q Williams,[ who I want, but they won't take, or who won't be there], they will have Bosa or Allen there for them.  Would like to trade back, but that won't happen either, unless someone comes up for Haskins.  Giants will wait for him at #6, so no trade there. I see Houston as overkill, especially if you draft and edge rusher, the money is best spent elsewhere at this point.  A friend of mine on another thread was lamenting about the holes that need filling.  I think he's right.  The money spent on Houston could be well spent on filling three of those holes, don't you think, friend??

You have smart friends. 

I think this is such a priority position nowadays, (god, I almost said “in today’s NFL”.) that yes, in all seriousness I’d get at least two if I could.

8 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

14 is too much for a part timer

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

So far it’s been a good offseason.  I like all the moves the jets have made.  Barr did us a favor.  I was opposed to signing Bell but his contract is reasonable.  Mosely is the leader on defense we haven’t had since the Rex days.  Just one thing left: EDGE

and the jets need two edge rushers not just one.  If you want to setup Bosa or Allen for success line them up opposite this guy:

809BE9AE-8106-4179-AF82-083D9E3EB86C.jpeg

Two edge rushers. Good post. Barr at UCLA played alot as a DE. I think Williams would have have used him that way, alot. What about the other side in a 4-3. So yea, to play a 4-3 in Williams defense, we need two ends, that are always attacking up field. Thats why they paid Mosley all that money. Williams wants to run a 4-3 alot and Mosley is the perfect MLB.

11 minutes ago, jack48 said:

14 is too much for a part timer

not when you have Sam and Adams on rookie deals for the next 3 years...throw 2 years at Houston and call it a day. Do you think we'd pay Mosley 17m if we didnt have rookie deals?

9 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Sutton or Winters will.

9 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

What are Houston priorities? Money, winning or location? I know this is a guy the Pats would target to not lose a compensatory pick. His play has definitely fallen off so don't be stuck on the name brand. I'm ok with giving him two years. Is $10 mil good enough? Since we sre the Jets $11?

Obviously the guy wants to win but this is also the last big contract of his career and life

10 minutes ago, genot said:

Two edge rushers. Good post. Barr at UCLA played alot as a DE. I think Williams would have have used him that way, alot. What about the other side in a 4-3. So yea, to play a 4-3 in Williams defense, we need two ends, that are always attacking up field. Thats why they paid Mosley all that money. Williams wants to run a 4-3 alot and Mosley is the perfect MLB.

I still think the jets stick with 3-4 base.  Allen is a natural 3-4 OLB

Jets should cut Lee and promote Hewitt to starting ILB opposite CJ Mosely.  

Just now, Philc1 said:

I still think the jets stick with 3-4 base.  Allen is a natural 3-4 OLB

Jets should cut Lee and promote Hewitt to starting ILB opposite CJ Mosely.  

It might not be Allen. You could justify the Jets taking Sweat, Ferrill, or Gary there.

1 minute ago, genot said:

It might not be Allen. You could justify the Jets taking Sweat, Ferrill, or Gary there.

Sweat is even more of a OLB than Allen

ferrell scares me a little I’m worried he becomes a poor man’s Shaun Ellis

4 hours ago, k-met57 said:

not when you have Sam and Adams on rookie deals for the next 3 years...throw 2 years at Houston and call it a day. Do you think we'd pay Mosley 17m if we didnt have rookie deals?

I actually want Houston.   I think he has some tread on his tire.  But I was thinking 10 or maybe 11.

13 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Barr...but that's water under the bridge.?

Archived