RUMOR (barely so far) - Could SEA trade R Wilson to Giants?

nycdan

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If Wilson is even remotely available, the sh*t-ass Jets should offer Darnold and the #3 immediately.

Not sure if trolling, but this is nothing to sneeze at. I liked Russ enough to make him my QB in our All Time Draft (btw, when are we starting that up again @Paradis?) over guys like Bradshaw and Gannon, so I would entertain this.

That said, shy of a SB, there is nothing that could possibly make up for the 8 additional years that Sam might give us at the position over Russ. Plus, this team isn’t good enough yet to compete for a SB and won’t be for at least two more years, which means we’d be looking at an age 33 Russ by the time our “window” opens. For a running QB, that’s a significantly higher downside than a guy like Peyton or brady* entering their year 33 campaign.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be a perfect situation for the Giants, they can send 3 1st Rd picks for a young, top QB which they have never really had before and Wilson could sit behind Eli and learn from him for the next 2-3 years before they transition to Wilson.  Gettleman is the genius that can pull this off?

This is a crazy rumor, but there could be some truth to it - especially from Seattle's side. There are two things that could be in play here, First, Russell Wilson's not-so-subtle hinting that he wants to be the highest paid player in the NFL when he puts pen to paper and second, that there's no more valuable commodity in the NFL than a franchise QB on a rookie contract. If Seattle believes they can find a new franchise signal caller in this year's draft and use the $34M/year or so Wilson is expecting to build around their new rookie, that could be an attractive option. 

How many teams go downhill after giving their franchise QB franchise QB money? The Seahawks haven't won more than 10 games in a season since Wilson signed his first big contract. Packers haven't won anything since giving Rodgers his first big contract. Joe Flacco and the Ravens demise is well documented. How did winning the Cousins sweepstakes work out for the Vikes so far? 

Trading a franchise QB and his franchise QB salary for enough draft assets to draft his replacement at a fraction of the cap is the kinda thing the analytics people go nuts over. Someone's eventually gonna try it and, if it works, it could easily become a trend. 

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I can't see any way seattle would do this.

On face value I completely agree but believe it or not there are fans in their forums who are discussing this. I was putting together my mock draft (I go through every teams fan forum for it) and I saw the discussion.

I'm not sure I buy it but it's not so farfetched after hearing it a few times now.

8 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Jeez this is a bad night for old 14. Two of my boys beating me up here...  @joenamathwouldn'tcry wants my night nurse to bring me a bowl of soup. Then you, one of my favorites, who I've never, ever had a disagreement with since I joined the site, gives me the dreaded butt fumble.

Et tu Brutus? ?

Hey it was VERY close to March 15th. lol Duly noted and removed. Shane's consistent negativity brings out the worse in us. I will never get "fans" like him.

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

Hey it was VERY close to March 15th. lol Duly noted and removed. Shane's consistent negativity brings out the worse in us. I will never get "fans" like him.

Imagine thinking that Russell Wilson being better than Sam Darnold+Quinnen Williams is “negativity.”

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

There are really six of you banana-boys who would NOT trade Darnold and the #3 for a 30 year old Lock Hall of Fame QB? Is this what I’m to understand? 

Only reason I wouldn't do it, is because i'd like to actually see the Jets finally draft, develop and succeed with their own QB. And for once, I actually think Darnold has the potential to do that. 

Otherwise hell yeah i'd do it. 

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Imagine thinking that Russell Wilson being better than Sam Darnold+Quinnen Williams is “negativity.”

Eh.  Taking on that contract would be prohibitive to giving them that # 3 pick.  Darnold for Wilson straight up, or Darnold + 2020 first rounder.  Who says no?

5 hours ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

Isn't Russell Wilson in the baseball  minors or something?  He s played some spring training for the Texas Rangers and the Yankees traded for his rights last summer or the year before. 

Do the guys making these rumors not realize this. Russell Wilson is somewhat a Yankee, hence why he hangs out with them

Wilson just saw Trout's new contract so he's switching to baseball.

Archived