We stay at 3 and choose from one of these three. Which do you take?

Jetsfan80

You can only pick one, and it has to be defense. Which do you choose?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which defensive player do you choose?

• Nick Bosa
    • Josh Allen
    • Quinnen Williams

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

They also need a OT, C, CB, WR and TE so trading down makes the most sense. 

Again, if we're blown away by an offer, move down.  But none of those positions impact the game as much as pass rusher outside of LT (and we're not finding a franchise LT in this draft, sorry). 

We can address C in the 3rd round.  CB, meh.  I'm interested to see what Trumaine Johnson does now that he's reunited with the DC that had him playing well.  TE, we're fine with Herndon.  I'd like to grab a WR in the 2nd round if possible, but again, we need a trade partner who wants to hand us a bunch of picks first.  That's no guarantee.  Especially if the (unlikely) premise I presented in this thread comes true. 

Mainly I just wanted to see where JN stood with the 3 big pass rush prospects.  There's plenty of threads where we've discussed the merits of trading down.  Yes, I think JN posters tend to be scared off by all 3 of these guys given our franchise's failure to successfully acquire a pass rusher. 

And I get we have tons of needs.  But pass rusher has been our longest standing need.  I hate, hate watching us make bad QB's look awesome because they have all day in the pocket.  And that's been the case for nearly two decades. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Have you watched Allen play or even read his draft reports? He’s really quick, can cover well but isn’t a great passrusher and isn’t good against the run. His biggest knock is being bad against the run and not having much in the passrush other then speed. 

Yes, I have.  I know what the "red flags" are.  I was simply projecting what type of player he will be as compared to Jadeveon Clowney, going forward, given growth and potential. He is an excellent pass rusher.  It can be argued that his "repertoire" to this point is limited, but he wouldn't have accrued the number of sacks he has being a poor one. 

As for being "bad" against the run, not true.  His strength is his speed and ability to slash through the line to make tackles.  He is not a "bull" at the point of attack.  That's not the type of player he is.  That doesn't mean he is "bad" against the run. 

I think my comparing him to Jadeveon Clowney was accurate. They are both athletic, speedy edge rushers.  Neither is renowned for their ability to play inside against the run.  That's not what they do. Allen is also better in coverage.  Their skill sets, physical makeup and tendencies are very similar.  That was my point.

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Again, if we're blown away by an offer, move down.  But none of those positions impact the game as much as pass rusher outside of LT (and we're not finding a franchise LT in this draft, sorry). 

We can address C in the 3rd round.  CB, meh.  I'm interested to see what Trumaine Johnson does now that he's reunited with the DC that had him playing well.  TE, we're fine with Herndon.  I'd like to grab a WR in the 2nd round if possible, but again, we need a trade partner who wants to hand us a bunch of picks first.  That's no guarantee.  Especially if the (unlikely) premise I presented in this thread comes true. 

Darnold impacts the game 10x more then a passrusher. Getting him help is the most important thing. 

4 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Darnold impacts the game 10x more then a passrusher. Getting him help is the most important thing. 

This logic makes no sense.  We already have Darnold.  We still have opportunities to address the O-Line even by staying put.  We also already added a solid Guard, which was an important need. 

We don't have the pass rusher, and likely can't find an elite one in free agency OR later in the draft. 

The entire OL is a high priority, yes.  But no individual piece of the O-Line is more valuable than a pass rusher, outside of LT (which, again, we won't find in this crop). 

What would you say if the Jets traded down to, say, 8, and drafted a Center with that pick?  Would you be totally cool with it?  Of course not.  You're advocating we take a Center with, say, a 2nd rounder we pick up.  But that helps prove my point.  Pass rusher >>>> Center.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This thread is probably redundant, but I'm curious where JN would go with this.

The premise:  The 2 QB's go 1-2, with the 49ers trading down.  At 3, we have our choice between Bosa, Allen, and Q. Williams.  We cannot find a trade partner willing to give us anything decent for our pick now that the QB's are gone.  Who are you choosing and why?

If I'm staying at #3 I'm coming away with your virginity + the best O I can find 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This logic makes no sense.  We already have Darnold.  We still have opportunities to address the O-Line even by staying put.  We also already added a solid Guard, which was an important need. 

We don't have the pass rusher, and likely can't find an elite one in free agency OR later in the draft. 

The entire OL is a high priority, yes.  But no individual piece of the O-Line is more valuable than a pass rusher, outside of LT (which, again, we won't find in this crop). 

What would you say if the Jets traded down to, say, 8, and drafted a Center with that pick?  Would you be totally cool with it?  Of course not.  You're advocating we take a Center with, say, a 2nd rounder we pick up.  But that helps prove my point.  Pass rusher >>>> Center.

Yes we have Darnold so they need for once to help the QB. They can trade down get a OT/OG in the first then get a WR/OG/C in the second and pick up a 1st or 2nd next year. Getting sacks is meaningless if Darnold can’t win games. They’re not winning the SB next season or even making the playoffs. They need to plan for the future not one season. 

10 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Yes we have Darnold so they need for once to help the QB. They can trade down get a OT/OG in the first then get a WR/OG/C in the second and pick up a 1st or 2nd next year. Getting sacks is meaningless if Darnold can’t win games. They’re not winning the SB next season or even making the playoffs. They need to plan for the future not one season. 

Pressuring the QB and getting the ball back to Darnold is not meaningless at all. 

We'll put up plenty of points with the OL we have plus a 3rd round Center plus maybe one more addition off the streets. 

8 minutes ago, CTM said:

All I've looked into at this point is edge and im underwhelmed by bosa and Allen. Not a cfb fan 

Well the best OL is a RT/G and there is no consensus on the best WR.  The best value play would be to grab a WR in the late 1st or 2nd. 

If we trade down, we can make a lot of those Jet fan dreams come through at C, WR, etc.  But the premise of this thread is what we do at 3, and taking an offensive player at 3 would be extremely foolish. 

12 minutes ago, CTM said:

All I've looked into at this point is edge and im underwhelmed by bosa and Allen. Not a cfb fan 

It's starting to feel like last year at this time. After all the scrutiny covering the QBs, I didn't particularly like any of them. Seems like Bosa and Allen are both getting a lot of pushback at this stage, while Quinnen Williams is the cleanest prospect projected regularly in the top three. I also have DT fatigue, though, so I don't know. I'm hoping they get their trade down, and I think they will. 

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well the best OL is a RT/G and there is no consensus on the best WR.  The best value play would be to grab a WR in the late 1st or 2nd. 

If we trade down, we can make a lot of those Jet fan dreams come through at C, WR, etc.  But the premise of this thread is what we do at 3, and taking an offensive player at 3 would be extremely foolish. 

Trade down get next year #1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The premise:  The 2 QB's go 1-2, with the 49ers trading down.  At 3, we have our choice between Bosa, Allen, and Q. Williams.  We cannot find a trade partner willing to give us anything decent for our pick now that the QB's are gone.  Who are you choosing and why?

Bosa.  Because hes simply the best player at a real need position for us.  

Not getting the recent turn against picking him.

And because trading down after being blown away with a crazy offer than no one would ever make wasnt a choice

I’ve seen this argument on here before and I just don’t agree that Leonard Williams is a reason to not draft quinnen Williams.  What makes a person successful or not has much more to do with personality and work ethic than it has to do with measurements.  We could have said that mark Sanchez coming from USC was a great reason to pass on Darnold.  As a matter of fact some did say that but the school they came from has nothing to do with anything.

I hear your point but the way I see that comparison is different. Every year we see guys who are can’t miss monsters. Leo was one of those guys. Consensus best player in the draft, super young and only scratching the surface, more upside than anyone in the draft. On and on.
We are now hearing similar stuff about Q. Williams. Leo is a good comparison because it’s the sake position and we are hearing a lot of similar things about them.
It’s very relatable.

For the jets in particular there is the idea that he and Leo together would collapse the center of the offensive line. They’d be an Absolutely devastating team. I think it has more potential to be as disappointing as out vaunted d line was than it does devastating.

NO DT AT 3!!!
NO DT AT 3!!!

lol

OL all day !

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

To play the game by the rules and keep it to this specific scenario, I’d go with the oft injured bosa! Prototypical size and speed, but It’s his feet for me.

That said, If we really can’t trade back, I’d reach for Jonah Williams at 3 without question. He’s gonna swing those tiny little arms all over the NFL!!

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pressuring the QB and getting the ball back to Darnold is not meaningless at all. 

We'll put up plenty of points with the OL we have plus a 3rd round Center plus maybe one more addition off the streets. 

Pass rushers don’t beat the patriots and win Super Bowls just ask Von Miller and Pierre Paul

4 hours ago, slats said:

It's starting to feel like last year at this time. After all the scrutiny covering the QBs, I didn't particularly like any of them. Seems like Bosa and Allen are both getting a lot of pushback at this stage, while Quinnen Williams is the cleanest prospect projected regularly in the top three. I also have DT fatigue, though, so I don't know. I'm hoping they get their trade down, and I think they will. 

This.

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I dont care about the premise of your thread virgin. I reject it! Ttttrade down

Gfy

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Bosa.  Because hes simply the best player at a real need position for us.  

Not getting the recent turn against picking him.

And because trading down after being blown away with a crazy offer than no one would ever make wasnt a choice

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/nick-bosa-ohio-state-buckeyes

Waiting for the letter to the NYJ fans.

Bilateral abdominal core injury and an ACL in HS.

Let's say I have my concerns.

1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/nick-bosa-ohio-state-buckeyes

Waiting for the letter to the NYJ fans.

Bilateral abdominal core injury and an ACL in HS.

Let's say I have my concerns.

Really not worried about a ACL in HS.  Didnt stop OS from going out a recruiting him.  Didnt stop him from becoming the top projected pick 

Bosa:  even with injury concern that guys has all the tools/pedigree to make it big in NFL.

Allen:  reminds some of Jason Taylor.  We need a guy who gets to the QB.

Q. Williams:  DT fatigue plus Alabama seems to have a guy like him every year who turn out to be nothing special in the NFL.

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Really not worried about a ACL in HS.  Didnt stop OS from going out a recruiting him.  Didnt stop him from becoming the top projected pick 

Of the two, I'm not so worried about the ACL as the abdominal core injury.  The ACL is a tendon/ligament.

The 'abdominal core surgery' is to repair a muscle, or the attachment of a muscle to a bone. Big difference.

Anyway, IMO Bosa isn't worth passing on a trade down if offered..and there are a few guys that are potential LTs in this draft, and some C's/WRs I wouldn't mind having with the added picks.  Allen ain't a sure thing either, and I do not want to take Q either at #3, purely based off of positional value.

IF WE HAVE to stay at #3, I'd take Allen or Bosa over Q every day of the week..but I do have concerns.

Quinnen Williams.  Posted this in another thread.

Bigger than Bosa and Allen.   Stronger than Bosa and Allen.   Equally quick as both of them on film.

The Jets need a pass rusher.  He is... and a run stuffer...  and... an all around play disruptor because he gets into the backfield one way or another so often.

15 hours ago, slats said:

This will be like the Lions finally hitting on Calvin Johnson after drafting all those Wr's top 10 a decade ago. Except knowing the Jets, we draft all these DT's and miss on Q.Williams who will be the next Warren Sapp.

Archived