Humor me...Interior Pass Rush

HawkeyeJet

So I have legitimately been pondering this post well before we picked Williams, just never got around too it.

Any way, I think it could be argued that as the NFL moved more and more towards mobile QBs, isn't it reasonable to say the interior pass rush is more important than ever? Maybe even as important as an edge rush.

In the days of mostly stationary QBs, edge rushers collapsed the edge and rushed to a spot and forced immobile QBs to step up into the pocket because they had no fear of them leaving the pocket.

With more and more QBs willing to take off from the pocket when ends lose contain, having strong push in tbe middle is very important in eliminating running lanes for a QB.

That really might not make any sense, and I did really no research to see if there is anything to my theory, but damn it I want to feel better about things 

It’s a myth that QBs are getting more mobile. Dak Prescott was the only QB to win a playoff game last year who ran under a 4.8, and he did that with a 4.79. The Jets are going to try and rush up the middle with possibly the least athletic personnel at LB and safety in the league. The defense is fine if it was 1987. It’s not. The Jets are no better today than they were 24 hours ago. 

You are completely right. Everyone crying because of the pick because it's not an edge rusher or trade down (I wanted to trade down) but qb's are more agile than ever and only a few go outside. Gotta lock up the middle too

So I have legitimately been pondering this post well before we picked Williams, just never got around too it.
Any way, I think it could be argued that as the NFL moved more and more towards mobile QBs, isn't it reasonable to say the interior pass rush is more important than ever? Maybe even as important as an edge rush.
In the days of mostly stationary QBs, edge rushers collapsed the edge and rushed to a spot and forced immobile QBs to step up into the pocket because they had no fear of them leaving the pocket.
With more and more QBs willing to take off from the pocket when ends lose contain, having strong push in tbe middle is very important in eliminating running lanes for a QB.
That really might not make any sense, but damn it I wabt to feel better about things 

Sent from my SM-G960U using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s a myth that QBs are getting more mobile. Dak Prescott was the only QB to win a playoff game last year who ran under a 4.8, and he did that with a 4.79. The Jets are going to try and rush up the middle with possibly the least athletic personnel at LB and safety in the league. The defense is fine if it was 1987. It’s not. The Jets are no better today than they were 24 hours ago. 

Some truth here.  I don't agree with all of it, but some truth no doubt.  

I do think the QBs are much more mobile.  Mobility isn't just straight line speed in my opinion.  I think Darnold is very mobile for example, but I dont think he's very fast(don't know what his 40 was).  

Taking a step back; Williams' personal story is compelling; seems like a very nice kid. I take no pleasure in poormouthing the pick. Simply don't get why and how the Jets continually act like they can buck NFL trends ; the need to generate a pass rush and stopping   a pass rush, conventionally. This "interior pass rush" is nonsense Maccagnan is selling to cover his ass for not trading down. As of right now we still have no plausible outside pass rush spare Moseley by himself. And yet again the OL will be ignored until this draft at least round 3. Maccagnan is bucking NFL trends but he so far has not succeeded. 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Omg t0m we jus got da #1 player in da draft, quit yer bitching already

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

andrew luck 

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

J!

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The bold is the absolute infuriating truth of it all.  There's nothing against Quinnen himself, but there's no benefit that he brings to this team this year.

They're repeating Maccangan's previous idiotic mistake of overloading at a non-premium position that was the very least of the team's needs, while leaving holes all over the roster.  We can only hold out hope that he as at least learned a little something, and turns around and trades Leo immediately, as whatever they get in return for him would be the one and only opportunity to get team improvement as a result of the #3 pick.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

The bold is the absolute infuriating truth of it all.  There's nothing against Quinnen himself, but there's no benefit that he brings to this team this year.

They're repeating Maccangan's previous idiotic mistake of overloading at a non-premium position that was the very least of the team's needs, while leaving holes all over the roster.  We can only hold out hope that he as at least learned a little something, and turns around and trades Leo immediately, as whatever they get in return for him would be the one and only opportunity to get team improvement as a result of the #3 pick.

Word. Unless Quinnen is going to be JJ Watt—and there’s no way that’s the case—it’s just more redundancy at a position that isn’t moving the needle. Like, Maccagnan just went through this with Mo/Sheldon/Leonard and this is going to end the same exact way. He just pulled this same sh*t four years ago!

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The jets have the least athletic personnel at LB and safety in the league?

Qualify this, please 

17 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Taking a step back; Williams' personal story is compelling; seems like a very nice kid. I take no pleasure in poormouthing the pick. Simply don't get why and how the Jets continually act like they can buck NFL trends ; the need to generate a pass rush and stopping   a pass rush, conventionally. This "interior pass rush" is nonsense Maccagnan is selling to cover his ass for not trading down. As of right now we still have no plausible outside pass rush spare Moseley by himself. And yet again the OL will be ignored until this draft at least round 3. Maccagnan is bucking NFL trends but he so far has not succeeded. 

I am happy for him.    I dont want to rake anything away from him.

I dont really think this helps the team

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Word. Unless Quinnen is going to be JJ Watt—and there’s no way that’s the case—it’s just more redundancy at a position that isn’t moving the needle. Like, Maccagnan just went through this with Mo/Sheldon/Leonard and this is going to end the same exact way. He just pulled this same sh*t four years ago!

It seriously feels like we're both reading and hearing the same exact words repeated today as we did 4 years ago, justifying the supposed value of the alleged "BPA" named Williams, while attempting to justify having overloaded at a position that now includes more players than the team has the ability to properly get on the field at the same time.

If they don't trade Leo, I'm sure we'll get to hear again the coaching staff get trashed when at least one of their many starting DTs is forced to play out of position just in order to even get out there, as history continues to repeat itself.

3 minutes ago, Barton said:

Should have taken Jonah Williams.

Both Jonah Williams and Josh Allen were not slam dunks, but they were both very good solid players at positions of need and more importantly positions that really matter. Either would have been entirely defensible. And again, Quennin Williams appears to be a very nice kid, so I take no pleasure in knocking this pick. Jets are selling the AaronDonaldJoeKleckoKerryJenkinsJJWattReggieWhite stuff now because it's clearly another misallocation of resources and eventually cap room that defies common sense. Really, Leonard Williams is the same player at the same nonpremium position and he's due for his 2nd contract. They're already doing that all over the secondaRy. And still spare Moseley there's no pass rush and the OL is from hunger. IT'S INDEFENSIBLE. 

6 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

It seriously feels like we're both reading and hearing the same exact words repeated today as we did 4 years ago, justifying the supposed value of the alleged "BPA" named Williams, while attempting to justify having overloaded at a position that now includes more players than the team has the ability to properly get on the field at the same time.

If they don't trade Leo, I'm sure we'll get to hear again the coaching staff get trashed when at least one of their many starting DTs is forced to play out of position just in order to even get out there, as history continues to repeat itself.

I’d imagine the route they’ll take is progressively giving Leo’s snaps to Quinnen and use Leonard’s lack of production to justify not paying him next year. 

8 hours ago, Jamax99 said:

Hes the safer pick, and top pick in draft.   but I did want J Allen  , .    What if we picked ferrel? Lol or Daniel Jones lol  horrible picks.   I have feeling leonard williams might be getting traded. . 

I would personally have went for M Sweat and would have tried to trade back before taken Ferrell ( they couldn't make a deal to trade back) .  Not the sexiest pick but still  the Raiders were looking for a certain type of De , and he filled all the boxes.      I rather they addressed the biggest need than reaching for a Better talent at a position of strength DT.( Oliver) . Than you're forced to play him at a position (DE) that is a projection. ( best used as UT in 4-3 defense- have two of those types already).     

Raiders added a starting three down De who gets off the snap extremely well.  Complements  very well what they already have on the defense line.

Raiders have already two trades on the table for pick 35.   There is so much talent left that they will drop to middle of second round , while picking up a third rounder.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’d imagine the route they’ll take is progressively giving Leo’s snaps to Quinnen and use Leonard’s lack of production to justify not paying him next year. 

Leo is out next year and it’s one way they’ll manage the cap and can justify paying an aging LT mega money in FA so they can draft an inside linebacker next year in the first round to replace darron lee.

9 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That really might not make any sense, and I did really no research to see if there is anything to my theory, but damn it I want to feel better about things 

Edge rushers never reach Brady in time.  Good QBs know exactly how much time they have to sit and throw.    Interior rush involves the rusher and the blocker falling into you.  Different

9 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Some truth here.  I don't agree with all of it, but some truth no doubt.  

I do think the QBs are much more mobile.  Mobility isn't just straight line speed in my opinion.  I think Darnold is very mobile for example, but I dont think he's very fast(don't know what his 40 was).  

The other thing is what happens with the QB's eyes when he uses his mobility. Geno seemed to be pretty mobile, but once he started spinning away he stopped looking downfield so his only option was tuck and run. Sam, on the other hand, looks like he can spin and scramble then find - and hit - his open guy 20 yards downfield.

Archived