A look at our young/inexperienced CBs

Jeremy Clark

Rashard Robinson

Derrick Jones

Arthur Maulet

Parry Nickerson

Does any one of these guys have a chance to be a legit contributor next season? Do you think the jets were purposely not aggressive in FA or the draft with a CB because they’re hopeful one of these guys emerges? If so, which one do you think has a shot at contributing?

derrick jones profiles as the type of player that can have success in greg williams system.  I'll be watching him very carefully during camp and preseason.  He had a very good camp last year, and i was surprised he was never in games until later in the season. Figures though with bowles unabashed loyalty to mediocre veteran players. 

Jones and Nickerson make the team and get some playing time this year, I'd imagine.   You would hope Robinson could contribute considering it cost the Jets a 4th round pick but Mac is gunna Mac.

I do think there will be some vets shake out too.  I saw an article the Giants might cut Janoris Jenkins and potentially Artie Burns from the Steelers.  Those dudes would be upgrades.   That said, I doubt Mac signs either guy so my guess is Clairborne comes back.  I assume it looks like;

Johnson

Roberts 

Clairborne

Poole

Jones

Nickerson 

I expect Trumaine Johnson to bounce back this year.  Partly because I believe he wasn't 100% last year and partly because Williams and Gase won't put up with his BS.

On the other side, I always liked Roberts, though I'm not sure he will be the opening day starter.

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I expect Trumaine Johnson to bounce back this year.  Partly because I believe he wasn't 100% last year and partly because Williams and Gase won't put up with his BS.

Also, when Gregg Williams was DC with the Rams from 2014-16, Johnson had 11 INT in 3 seasons, with 34 PD's. 

He's a press corner and Williams will use him as such. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

He’s also 4-6 years older now. We saw it with Revis-CBs lose it quickly.

Of course, but we have to hope for the best there.  It's not financially advisable to cut him until June 1, 2020 at the earliest.  His dead cap hit would be $4M with $11M in savings at that time.  Any earlier and we're on the hook for between $8-24M in dead money, with a range of negative $12M cap hit to $9M in cap savings. 

• Upvote 1

Hopefully one of them will step up or a Vet is acquired before the season starts. This is going to be a problem all season if the Jet's can't generate a pass rush. Can you imagine what it will be like if an opposing QB has all day to throw? Even Fitzpatrick could pick apart a secondary if he has time to throw. Imagine what a good QB will do to them. It's already looking like a top 5 draft pick for 2020. Hopefully Macc isn't around to screw that up.

• Upvote 1

MOAR 6TH ROUND PICKS!

They gave roberts 4.5 million so i assume they feel is the the 2nd corner.  They signed the slot corner from atlanta.  they have about 4 or 5 otehr cbs that have been around a year or two that need to step up or step back.

56 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

CB is the thinnest and weakest unit on the team and that includes the O Line.  IMO wins and losses are going to be based more on how these guys perform that how well Jonotthan Harrison blocks Ed Oliver...

The hope is that with a better front 7, and better scheme, a guy like Trumaine Johnson can regain his form. If he does and they bring back Claiborne, the unit should be "good enough" when you also have Adams/Maye in the secondary. We aren't going to win games because of the CBs but I think they will play better this year without Rodgers and with a better supporting cast. 

36 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Hopefully one of them will step up or a Vet is acquired before the season starts. This is going to be a problem all season if the Jet's can't generate a pass rush. Can you imagine what it will be like if an opposing QB has all day to throw? Even Fitzpatrick could pick apart a secondary if he has time to throw. Imagine what a good QB will do to them. It's already looking like a top 5 draft pick for 2020. Hopefully Macc isn't around to screw that up.

Dude, the Jets D will be like Rex Ryan's first year but even better.  We will play bump and run, stop the run, and put sick pressure on the QB via a variety of creative blitz packages.  Greg Williams had NO secondary in Cleveland until they drafted Denzel Ward last year - even with just one impact DB you saw the difference.  I feel like the Jets have more talent on D  this year than Rex ever had, Revis included.  We have intense vocal leaders in Mosely and Adams.  Rex's leader was Bart Scott who was on the decline and not nearly as good without Ray Lewis next to him.  If all falls into place - this season could be a whole lot of fun for us.

57 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Derrick Jones actually got a start last year so he would have the best chance. Parrry Nickerson got some playing time early on, but wasn’t very good so we will see if he improves. 

After that I don’t see it. The Jets are incredibly thin at CB. 

Derrick Jones never got a start.  He only played in one game.  He played half the snaps week 17.  I don't remember him much, but the Jets lost 38-3, so I doubt he was Patrick Peterson.  Robinson actually got the start in that game and played twice the snaps, but he didn't get much run either.  Robinson is an UFA in 2020, so it would be very Jets-y for him to become our starting CB this year.  I don't think Clark has ever taken a defensive snap in the NFL.   There is hope that these guys can step up with the regime change, but there is probably as good of an opportunity for some UDFA, Maulet, or the Canadian guy - Tevaughan Campbell who should get a shot as a returner. 

3 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Jeremy Clark

Rashard Robinson

Derrick Jones

Arthur Maulet

Parry Nickerson

Does any one of these guys have a chance to be a legit contributor next season? Do you think the jets were purposely not aggressive in FA or the draft with a CB because they’re hopeful one of these guys emerges? If so, which one do you think has a shot at contributing?

The only explanation of why they avoided CB, Edge (After losing out on Barr) and Center while having $100 million in free agency available was bc they thought they could grab those positions early in the draft and save money. When Macc failed to trade down those plans went out the window and they were scrambling. I think their entire offseason was under the assumption they would trade down, acquire more picks and get more day one contributors.

The only player they added who will actually play next year that was in a true position of need was Polite. He has all of the talent but there are a ton of question marks still there so his impact is a true question mark.

1 hour ago, deucebag said:

Dude, the Jets D will be like Rex Ryan's first year but even better.  We will play bump and run, stop the run, and put sick pressure on the QB via a variety of creative blitz packages.  Greg Williams had NO secondary in Cleveland until they drafted Denzel Ward last year - even with just one impact DB you saw the difference.  I feel like the Jets have more talent on D  this year than Rex ever had, Revis included.  We have intense vocal leaders in Mosely and Adams.  Rex's leader was Bart Scott who was on the decline and not nearly as good without Ray Lewis next to him.  If all falls into place - this season could be a whole lot of fun for us.

You do realize the Browns defense was terrible last year?

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The hope is that with a better front 7, and better scheme, a guy like Trumaine Johnson can regain his form. If he does and they bring back Claiborne, the unit should be "good enough" when you also have Adams/Maye in the secondary. We aren't going to win games because of the CBs but I think they will play better this year without Rodgers and with a better supporting cast. 

I hope you're right.  You're also likely right about bringing back Claiborne but I think that would be a mistake...

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

That's the spirit!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You do realize the Browns defense was terrible last year?

Who did they have other than Myles Garrett and Denzel Ward...my point is they were worse without Ward.  You still need NFL caliber players no matter who your DC is.  Williams has talent to work with on the Jets.

No longer agree with the premise. The rules barely allow DBs to do much anyway. DBs don't matter nearly as much as getting a pass rush going to either get a sack or way more often  force a QB to throw before he would like, Basically seen Jet defenses beaten like Keith Moon on a  drumkit for a generation  because they give that extra time to a QB to pick them apart. After that 2.8 seconds the play breaks down and your coverage becomes almost irrelevant. The fetish this franchise and some of it's fans  has about how a corner or safety is anything more than fungible overhead is beyond ridiculous. Yeah, Maye, Trumaine and the Rutgers PUP kid, that's gonna makee everything wonderful. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, deucebag said:

Hopefully you're right. I just feel a lot has to go right to get the results you speak of. With what we are seeing so far I'm not so optimistic.

The only explanation of why they avoided CB, Edge (After losing out on Barr) and Center while having $100 million in free agency available was bc they thought they could grab those positions early in the draft and save money. When Macc failed to trade down those plans went out the window and they were scrambling. I think their entire offseason was under the assumption they would trade down, acquire more picks and get more day one contributors.
The only player they added who will actually play next year that was in a true position of need was Polite. He has all of the talent but there are a ton of question marks still there so his impact is a true question mark.

Talk about an indictment of Mac. I could be wrong but Mac doesn’t have much lives left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meanwhile the Browns added Greedy Williams even though they already had Denzel Ward.  Must be nice to have nice things.

Dude, c'mon! This is like saying the Jets added Quinnen even though they already had Leo and mean it as if it's a good thing! Browns drafted one offensive player this year, a tackle in the sixth round after taking a kicker in the fifth. Jets fans would've had a murder-suicide orgy if they had the Browns' draft. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Dude, c'mon! This is like saying the Jets added Quinnen even though they already had Leo and mean it as if it's a good thing! Browns drafted one offensive player this year, a tackle in the sixth round after taking a kicker in the fifth. Jets fans would've had a murder-suicide orgy if they had the Browns' draft.  

Difference is the Browns had nearly all of their needs on offense filled prior to the draft:

• QB:  Baker Mayfield
  • RB:  Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt, Duke Johnson
  • WR:  Odell Beckham, Jarvis Landry
  • TE:  David Njoku
  • LG:  Joel Bitonio (# 5 G last year per PFF)
  • C J.C. Tretter (# 8 C)
  • RG:  Either Austin Corbett (converted OT), Bryant Witzmann, or perhaps Kendall Lamm (another potential OT convert)

Granted, much like us, they need an upgrade at LT over Greg Robinson (# 63 T per PFF).  But also much like us, they likely decided there weren't any franchise LT's to be found in this particular draft class.

And that RT/G they took in the 6th, Drew Forbes, is going to be awesome.  He was "Player X" that Sports Illustrated put a spotlight on in this article:  https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/new-browns-lineman-drew-forbes-revealed-as-sports-illustrated-s-prospect-x

27 minutes ago, deucebag said:

Who did they have other than Myles Garrett and Denzel Ward...my point is they were worse without Ward.  You still need NFL caliber players no matter who your DC is.  Williams has talent to work with on the Jets.

Where other than defensive tackles, safeties and MLB's? They lack at CB and Edge. Those are huge issues

14 minutes ago, slats said:

And no, adding Greedy Williams to Denzel Ward isn't like adding Quinnen Williams.  Because Quinnen and Leonard Williams play the exact same position.  It'll likely usher in the end of the Leonard Williams era after this season. 

Denzel Ward will be CB1 and Greedy will be CB2, and will be able to play together for a lot of years to come.  And given the league-wide shortage of corners, you need 3 or 4 good ones at this point.  That's not at all a comparable situation. 

Not to mention, they got Greedy in the 2nd round, at pick # 46 overall.  We took Quinnen Williams with the 3rd overall pick.  Greedy was an excellent value pick.  Quinnen needs to pretty much be a future HOFer to make that pick worthwhile. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And no, adding Greedy Williams to Denzel Ward isn't like adding Quinnen Williams.  Because Quinnen and Leonard Williams play the exact same position. 

Denzel Ward will be CB1 and Greedy will be CB2.  And given the league-wide shortage of corners, you need 3 or 4 good ones at this point.  That's not at all a comparable situation. 

Not to mention, they got Greedy in the 2nd round.  We took Quinnen Williams with the 3rd overall pick.  Greedy was an excellent value pick. 

Yeah, I don't like Mac, either. I'm not nearly as upset about it as you are, though.