Catanzaro was Bad, Decided to Retire, and the Jets Need a Kicker (merged)

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Great signing macc thanks for letting Myers walk. 

^^^^^^^^

Cuz you know...money

Whats worse, letting a guy who played good for you walk because of the asking price or signing a guy on the cheap that you knew was bad the first go'round that ends up playing as expected then retiring?

But hey atleast Macc got support for this move until it revealed itself to be even worse than some of us thought. 

5 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Did u see that he is making 5.5m? I don’t know that’s a justifiable use of resources on a kicker.

That 5.5 Million figure is over FOUR YEARS!!

And that is well below, when prorated out, to the 2 Million plus for ONE YEAR we were paying to a guy who just RETIRED!! 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Did u see that he is making 5.5m? I don’t know that’s a justifiable use of resources on a kicker.

That includes a $4MM signing bonus.  It's about $15.5MM over 4 years or just under $4MM/year.  His cap hit this year is actually only $2.5MM (Catanzaro's was $2.3MM).  And the Seahawks can cut him after 2 years with a $2MM dead money hit.  High but not crazy if he performs.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

four-year, $15.45

Come on Man!!!

Don't be fooled by agent PR releases which are designed to get more clients...

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article227814594.html

The 27-year-old Pro Bowl selection last season with the New York Jets will replace Sebastian Janikowski in Seattle with a $4 million signing bonus included within his $7 million guaranteed. Myers carries salary-cap charges to the team of $2.5 million this year and $3.6 million in 2020. His’ base salaries are $1.5 million in 2019 and $2.6 million next year, according to spotrac.com.

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

^^^^^^^^

Cuz you know...money

Whats worse, letting a guy who played good for you walk because of the asking price or signing a guy on the cheap that you knew was bad the first go'round that ends up playing as expected then retiring?

But hey atleast Macc got support for this move until it revealed itself to be even worse than some of us thought. 

Cantazaro was not "bad" the first go round..  he made 100% of his EP's and 84% of his FG's.

The only reason Meyers was even here was because they let a guy who played good for them walk because of the asking price.

Obviously Chandler, like Folk, lost their mojo...  it's ok...  I'm sure Joe D will find a K and I'm positive we'll win more than the 4 games we did when Juggernaut Jason Meyers was on the team.

Come on Man!!!
Don't be fooled by agent PR realeases which are designed to get more clients...
https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article227814594.html
The 27-year-old Pro Bowl selection last season with the New York Jets will replace Sebastian Janikowski in Seattle with a $4 million signing bonus included within his $7 million guaranteed. Myers carries salary-cap charges to the team of $2.5 million this year and $3.6 million in 2020. His’ base salaries are $1.5 million in 2019 and $2.6 million next year, according to spotrac.com.

I am fooled? Lol ok.

He makes 5.5 this year with bonus, then what you cutting him? Cuz if not his cash is like 3, 3.5 and 4 the years after.

Read.

Come on Man!!!
Don't be fooled by agent PR releases which are designed to get more clients...

Also, how is this 5.5 prorated over 4 years? Lol

6 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I am fooled? Lol ok.

He makes 5.5 this year with bonus, then what you cutting him? Cuz if not his cash is like 3, 3.5 and 4 the years after.

Read.

I think that you have to look at his base salary.

In a league in which the vast majority of games are settled in which teams like the Pats made SB runs based on their kicker, I think that it is worth it when as here the Jets have the salary cap space.

There is a reason why a competitive team like Seattle gave him the money and it wasn't because they don't know what they are doing or because they want to throw money away.

I have said it time and time again it was fine to let Myers go if you had an EQUAL or BETTER replacement in the wings which the Jets clearly did and do not have.

• Upvote 1

I think that you have to look at his base salary.
In a league in which the vast majority of games are settled in which teams like the Pats made SB runs based on their kicker, I think that it is worth it when as here the Jets has the salary cap space.
There is a reason why a competitive team like Seattle game him the money and it wasn't because they don't know what they are doing or because they want to throw money away.
I have said it time and time again it was fine to let Myers go if you had an EQUAL or BETTER replacement in the wings which the Jets clearly did and do not.

1. You can’t ignore the signing esp then 4 of it is guaranteed!!

2. His base is like 1.5 this year and then 2.5, 3.5 and 4mil!!

You have 0 leg to stand on. Please stop.

I think bringing in the Ravens' guy is probably a good way out of this mess.  We can take our chances with another castoff after the last cutdown, but I like the numbers on this kid and I'm not going to lament a 6th round pick if it results in us getting the K problem solved.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

1. You can’t ignore the signing esp then 4 of it is guaranteed!!

2. His base is like 1.5 this year and then 2.5, 3.5 and 4mil!!

You have 0 leg to stand on. Please stop.

I don't ignore it.

I think that Mac handled the whole thing poorly.  But even with the moneys given as I stated in an earlier post.  The question you have to answer is why did Seattle blow that money on Meyers then?

I noted that you ignored that part of my argument

My thinking is obviously in line with theirs. They are planning on playing in tightly contested games in which kicking can and will make the difference.

If you on the other hand are betting on the Jets blowing teams out, then I respectfully disagree.  

I don't ignore it.
I think that Mac handled the whole thing poorly.  But even with the moneys given as I stated in an earlier post.  The question you have to answer is why did Seattle blow that money on Meyers then?
My thinking is obviously in line with theirs. They are planning in tightly contested games in which kicking can and will make the difference.
If you on the other hand are betting on the Jets blowing teams out, then I respectfully disagree.  

Different teams are build differently. Should the lions have spent on Suh? We won 4 games last year, and even after this offseason we have plenty of holes to fill. Investing in a position where players can be brought in off the street is not something I’d do in this current state.

The only excuse for not re-signing Meyers is that his last year could easily have been a one off fluke. But then one can say that about any player that does well on a one year deal. Mac got blasted for re-signing Fitz after a decent season instead of moving on for instance.

It's all a bit random but tell ya what I feel like the lesson is stop giving kickers one year deals, make it two years and let them prove it wasn't a fluke. without the market influencing opinion. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony MaC said:

The only excuse for not re-signing Meyers is that his last year could easily have been a one off fluke. But then one can say that about any player that does well on a one year deal. Mac got blasted for re-signing Fitz after a decent season instead of moving on for instance.

It's all a bit random but tell ya what I feel like the lesson is stop giving kickers one year deals, make it two years and let them prove it wasn't a fluke. without the market influencing opinion. 

Mike Maccagnan was "Executive of the Year" the only reason for not signing Meyers was stupidity and not understanding the game of football. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Different teams are build differently. Should the lions have spent on Suh? We won 4 games last year, and even after this offseason we have plenty of holes to fill. Investing in a position where players can be brought in off the street is not something I’d do in this current state.

It simple I believe that ST is just as crucial and important in many ways as a GREAT OL or DL.  That when you have a chance to stabilize a unit in ST that has been awful for almost a decade you continue to do so.

In answering your question the Lions thought that they had a team that they didn't have nothing new or novel for the Lions.

But here is a question for you that is more germane to our discussion;  What SB winning team in the last quarter of a century had poor ST play?

Answer = No one!

If the goal is for the Jets to be the Lions than I guess you might have a point....

But if the goal is for the Jets to TRULY compete with the Pats, Seattle , Eagles etc. for a SB than they had better have OUTSTANDING ST play.

And treating ST like it is the 1970's where you plug and play guys into the unit just isn't going to cut it.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

It simple I believe that ST is just as crucial and important in many ways as a GREAT OL or DL.  That when you have a chance to stabilize a unit in ST that has been awful for almost a decade you continue to do so.

In answering your question the Lions thought that they had a team that they didn't have nothing new or novel for the Lions.

But here is a question for you that is more germane to our discussion;  What SB winning team in the last quarter of a century had poor ST play?

Answer = No one!

If the goal is for the Jets to be the Lions than I guess you might have a point....

But if the goal is for the Jets to TRULY compete with the Pats, Seattle , Eagles etc. for a SB than they had better have OUTSTANDING ST play.

And treating ST like it is the 1970's where you plug and play guys into the unit just isn't going to cut it.

you are jumping from point to point, not sure what your ultimate point except....it sucks to have bad special teams. yeah no crap man, bad special teams sucks. HOWEVER....having bad special teams is not the same as not overpaying or over-drafting special teams. we have and will have plenty of options.

2 hours ago, Pac said:

Cantazaro was not "bad" the first go round..  he made 100% of his EP's and 84% of his FG's.

The only reason Meyers was even here was because they let a guy who played good for them walk because of the asking price.

Obviously Chandler, like Folk, lost their mojo...  it's ok...  I'm sure Joe D will find a K and I'm positive we'll win more than the 4 games we did when Juggernaut Jason Meyers was on the team.

Look, I really wish folks would stop looking up stats, getting a percentage and thinking that he was okay or good because of those percentages.

Cantazaro had a bad 2017 season. The money spot or sweet spot for kickers is from 40-49 yards. If a kicker is automatic from that range they will keep a job in the NFL. Cantazaro missed a total 5 FG's that season, all 5 of them were within that 40-49 yards sweet spot. 

His 5 misses from the money spot was also the worst in the league in 2017, his year as a Jet. 

Sure, Cantazaro converted on 84% of all of his FGA's, but he only made 70% of his kicks from the money spot of 40-49 yards. That is unacceptable.

To add to that fact, he missed 2 FG's (both within that money spot) in a Falcon's game that season that we lost by 5 points.

He also produced the lowest amount of total points he's ever produced in a 16 game season with just barely over 100 total points on the season. 

He had a bad season, please dont damage control that with general stats that dont really tell you the story. 

And as a comparison, since coming into the league in 2015, Juggernaut Jason Meyers has only missed 4 FG's from the money spot in his entire career. Cantazaro missed more in just the 2017 season alone.  

Cantazaro 2017 was bad. That's just what it is.

• Upvote 3