Catanzaro was Bad, Decided to Retire, and the Jets Need a Kicker (merged)

27 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Kickers are the middle relief pitchers of football. 

You don't pay them much money, because their productivity, for the most part, fluctuates from year to year.

This would be one of my least concerns on this team.

I have no issue with the team not paying myers.  I do have an issue of them choosing a proven sh*tty kicker on Canazarro and having no one else as an alternative until now.  At least we are looking elsewhere now ad will probably get a decent alternative by the start of the season.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I think his failure to replace them makes it sting sure, but the decision to not way over pay those positions was sound.

It was very unlike Macc, I'm sure because he thought he was going to way over pay other places, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't have just got a quality guys in. 

Good news is I have no doubt Doug will get us a kicker and looks like we already have a Pint returner.

Things are ok

36 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not sure where this $5 mil  for a kicker narrative came from.  You hear it ian awful lot, but I just looked at the Myers contract on Spotrac.  4 years, $15.45 mil.  Average of about $3.85.  His cap hit is $2.5mil this year; $3.6 next year; rises to $4.3 and $5 last two seasons of contract which he may never see as he could be cut with little cap consequence before either of those last two seasons.  He will not likely ever see that $5MM season in 2022. 

Catanzaro is at $2.3 mil cap hit if he makes the team.  $200K difference on this season's cap.

I have to think the Jets assumed Myers season was a fluke and he is not likely to repeat it this year.  Next few months will tell us if they were right. 

Bringing back Myers was certainly doable.

Macc was terrible, so I don't know if he actually thought Myers would fall off, but either way, he did a terrible job at trying to replace him.

Bringing back Roberts was even more doable.

Again to let the 2 best players off your best unit walk is just another indictment of how bad he was.

Failing to replace them, makes it even worse, so glad he is gone.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Not sure where this $5 mil  for a kicker narrative came from.  You hear it ian awful lot, but I just looked at the Myers contract on Spotrac.  4 years, $15.45 mil.  Average of about $3.85.  His cap hit is $2.5mil this year; $3.6 next year; rises to $4.3 and $5 last two seasons of contract which he may never see as he could be cut with little cap consequence before either of those last two seasons.  He will not likely ever see that $5MM season in 2022. 

Catanzaro is at $2.3 mil cap hit if he makes the team.  $200K difference on this season's cap.

I have to think the Jets assumed Myers season was a fluke and he is not likely to repeat it this year.  Next few months will tell us if they were right. 

Agree with everything you said......with the additional fact that by most accounts Myers has looked better so far this summer with the Seahawks than he even looked last year with the Jets.  Kicker performance may fluctuate year to year....or maybe in 2-3 year blocks.  Myers seems to still be in that zone.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jeTMAC said:

? Jets will find a field goal kicker. I'm more concerned about cornerback but that'll work its way out 1nce team start cutting players Jets will find a couple more cornerbacks who are better than what they have 

Joe will be working the waiver wire, they know the Eagles and Ravens roster, I suspect they will pick from their scraps first.

3 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

I can see not wanting to pay 5 mill for a kicker, but Macc had 100 mill to play with.

Special teams was our best unit, and Macc let Myers and Roberts go.

Mac would pay a backup QB $10mil (who would have been 3rd string if not for the Teddy trade). But wouldnt pay his pro bowl kicker half that ?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jeTMAC said:

? Jets will find a field goal kicker. I'm more concerned about cornerback but that'll work its way out 1nce team start cutting players Jets will find a couple more cornerbacks who are better than what they have 

Yup, CB continues to be a concern.  We've discussed guys like Dortch and Cashman and other rookies who aren't high profile guys (lower draft spot, UDFA, etc.) but the most important guy in camp might just be Kyron Brown.

8 minutes ago, mudcat22 said:

Kicker we need to sign is Kaare Vedvik who is in Ravens camp now. He will not beat out Tucker for the kicking job. He has powerful leg and could be our Kicker for years. Go get him Douglas!!!!

Dat you, Cat?

Wilkommen. BTW, unless we give them some sort of something, Bears are on track for him, or so I have read...

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

They should bring in this guy:

Image result for replacements kicker

and this gal:

Image result for necessary roughness kicker

and pretty much anyone else who has a pulse and two legs.  

I'm mostly a big fan of the new regime but letting it get this far just befuddles me.  

I like the thought of bringing in the gal. Hell she's already wearing green.

• Upvote 1