Catanzaro was Bad, Decided to Retire, and the Jets Need a Kicker (merged)

17 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Dat you, Cat?

Wilkommen. BTW, unless we give them some sort of something, Bears are on track for him, or so I have read...

16 hours ago, mudcat22 said:

Hey Los.  Long time no talk to.

Let's bring the rest of them over here.  Jeto posts once every blue moon.  

Need Tobes , Meddle (where the heck is he?), JMC.  Coops and Prime (your best friend, Cat)  already here.

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

serious dumb F move by mac on that one. You have a probowl kicker, all the cap room in the world and you let him walk over money without a competent alternative. wtf

I'd like to spit in Mac's coffee.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I didn’t think it was a bad signing at the time. Missing two extra points in an exhibition game and then converting a short FG is no big deal. There are plenty of missed extra points in the NFL. His one season with the Jets 2017 he was 25 for 30 on field goals and converted 29 of 29 extra points. But his career % on extra points is only 92.9 he's missed 14 of them reg. season. His overall FG % is 83.8 a little better than his Jets %. The guy is only 28 years old too. Not sure he’ll stay retired he could change his mind he has better numbers than Bertolet. 

6 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

thinking about it, u have to think kicker is one of the easiest positions to fill, there are only 32 of these jobs available...and i dont think anyone is passing up an NFL opportunity for the CFL or whatever other league there is.

No doubt.  

There are 20+ kickers coming out of college every year not to mention all the soccer players around the country. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

thinking about it, u have to think kicker is one of the easiest positions to fill, there are only 32 of these jobs available...and i dont think anyone is passing up an NFL opportunity for the CFL or whatever other league there is.

You would think. Particularly with easy video and internet access for scouting.

Strange that Cat was brought back at all after such a strong showing Bertolet had last year. I wonder what impact Catazarro had on the Jets front office to warrent him being brought back and the only kicker in camp. Equally as strange that Cat retired as opposed to being cut. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Jets , Bears and someone else.?

hopefully Douglas can bring up some good memories of Baltimore on the phone and get the best friend discount.

I’d even give up the Darron Lee 6th rounder for him if he is good enough to solidify the K position like Justin Tucker has for the Ravens.

• Upvote 2

Report: Four teams have called Ravens about Kaare Vedvik trade

Posted by Josh Alper on August 11, 2019, 10:58 AM EDT

gettyimages-1160453622-e1565535424826.jp
Getty Images

There was trade chatter around Ravens kicker Kaare Vedvik last summer before he suffered injuries in an assault that kept him off the field for the rest of the season.

With Vedvik again kicking well and Justin Tuckerstill on hand in Baltimore, chatter is picking up about a possible trade again this year. A report on Saturday indicated the Jets are interested in Vedvik — that interest may be amplified by Chandler Catanzaro‘s retirement — but that they believe the bears will trade for him.

Sunday brings word of other suitors. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that four teams have called the Ravens about dealing for the kicker and that two of them are from the NFC North.

It would be surprising if the Bears weren’t one of the teams as Elliott Fry and Eddy Piniero are competing for the job in camp after getting through an offseason kicking carousel in Chicago. If their offer isn’t big enough, they may be going against Vedvik in the regular season.

59 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

No doubt.  

not to mention all the soccer players around the country. 

they'll have to adjust to not getting penalty flags thrown for them when they flop around after a kick though

• Haha 1

We've spent a 2nd round pick on a bad kicker.  I have no problem spending a 6th on a good one.  I'd start with offering to swap our 6th for their 7th (we used ours conditionally so we can't trade it again unfortunately) but I'd up it to the 6th.  If it swings one game our way it's fantastic value for a 6th round pick.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This 1000 TIMES!!!

Mac actually made a deliberate effort to WEAKEN our ST play through his ineptitude........ think of that!

Man was a BOOB!!!!

Did u see that he is making 5.5m? I don’t know that’s a justifiable use of resources on a kicker.