Preseason football is unwatchable.

I get it.  But the 2nd half of these games are just unwatchable.  I keep going back to the year the Jets were undefeated in the preseason and abosolutely sucked once the games counted.  Last nights game against the saints was brutal.  Penalties galore on both teams.  Don’t know what the fix is but should definitely cut the preseason down.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, johnnyjet said:

I get it.  But the 2nd half of these games are just unwatchable.  I keep going back to the year the Jets were undefeated in the preseason and abosolutely sucked once the games counted.  Last nights game against the saints was brutal.  Penalties galore on both teams.  Don’t know what the fix is but should definitely cut the preseason down.  

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea what the fix is.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Two games to evaluate bottom of the roster guys and rookies should be plenty.  Get a few reps for first team in one game if needed, but majority of these games are about the 45th - 53rd guys on your roster and who shows enough to end up on the practice squad. 2 games should be enough for that.

Unwatchable and pointless.  Literally nothing can be learned about anything significant in these games.  Totaly waste of time.

That said, I wasnt watching last night because I was watching the Gators but did anyone see how ugly Football can be without a preseason?  lol  Just getting thrusted into the action is not the answer but they need to reduce the preseason to 2 games and if I were  a coach, my starters would literally see the field for 1 series. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, johnnyjet said:

Disagree. This is when you find diamonds in the rough and backups.you need four games to see if someone has consistency

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

Preseason a time to figure things out, hence preseason. People shouldn't  watch if they don't understand the concept of preseason.

You got approach it different. Granted, some of this comes from the fact that the games begin so late given where I live, but I only watch the games when the starters are playing. After that im usually changing to watch starters from other teams or calling it a night. 

I have no idea what happened in the 2nd half of the game last night since I stopped watching after Sam scored that TD. 

The fix is not to get so involved in preseason games. It's preseason for the refs too brother. Week 1 is here in a couple weeks. 

Checked out after the first half to watch the last episode this season of "Mindhunter" and then some doc about the Donner party. Much happier having watched serial killers and cannibals than preseason football. 

• Upvote 1

It's  preseason for the refs as well. They are experimenting with how some penalties  get called.  Sure the game would be less of a flag fest if it was regular  season.  The zebras definitely  had an effect on the outcome of last night's game.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Checked out after the first half to watch the last episode this season of "Mindhunter" and then some doc about the Donner party. Much happier having watched serial killers and cannibals than preseason football. 

Good call with the Donner Party. If you dont listen to podcasts, check out Last Podcast on the Left. They did a 2 part series on the Donner Party. Episode 331 and 332. Awesome

10 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

Was that the Browning Nagle year?  Pretty sure that was it for me watching pre-season football as well.  I'm not sure I've seen a single preseason snap so far.

Cut two preseason games, add 2 regular season game, add 1 extra bye week, let the season go an extra week longer. Feel like an extra bye would go a long way in helping players play better throughout the entire season. Done. 

Move the draft back a few weeks. Feel like there's way too much time between the combine and the draft. Mel Kiper is on his Mock 13.0 by the time the draft hits. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, GreenFish said:

Cut two preseason games, add 2 regular season game, add 1 extra bye week, let the season go an extra week longer. Feel like an extra bye would go a long way in helping players play better throughout the entire season. Done. 

Move the draft back a few weeks. Feel like there's way too much time between the combine and the draft. Mel Kiper is on his Mock 13.0 by the time the draft hits. 

I would love that but I can't imagine the players would want to risk injury with the extra 2 games.  And even if the rule were "you can only play in 16 of 18 games", it would still create a dangerous situation when starting OL were benched.

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I would love that but I can't imagine the players would want to risk injury with the extra 2 games.  And even if the rule were "you can only play in 16 of 18 games", it would still create a dangerous situation when starting OL were benched.

It'll create more revenue which will lead to higher pay (so the players will benefit from it). If I'm the owners, I would push for it. The extra bye is a key selling point. It'll give the players an extra week to rest. Maybe even throw in the possibility of more players being able to be on the active roster. 

As a fan, more regular season games would be nice.