Paying the Piper: YEARS of POOR DRAFTING

Paradis

30 minutes ago, WaitTillNextYear4ever said:

We can say all we want about the draft. But if Sam Darnold could hit Robby Anderson just once out of 2 oppurtunties downfield we win.   Sam Darnold might be a pick that sets the franchise back another 5 years. 

Oh wait....Maybe this is the dumbest post of the century?  Its so hard to tell between the two of them I quoted....

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

And how many picks have we nailed in the last 10 years?

Mo, Sheldon, Sam and Chris Herndon

And that’s it

Bilal Powell

Jeremy Kerley

Demario Davis

Jordan Jenkins

Jamal Adams

Not everyone has to be an all-star to be a good pick.  That said, even with my few additions, that is a PATHETIC example of drafting.  You don't draft well for a decade, you lose.  Pure and simple.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, WaitTillNextYear4ever said:

We can say all we want about the draft. But if Sam Darnold could hit Robby Anderson just once out of 2 oppurtunties downfield we win.   Sam Darnold might be a pick that sets the franchise back another 5 years. 

The result could’ve been reduced down to any one of two dozen causes—that’s the nature of a 1 point game. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

41 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Bilal Powell

Jeremy Kerley

Demario Davis

Jordan Jenkins

Jamal Adams

Not everyone has to be an all-star to be a good pick.  That said, even with my few additions, that is a PATHETIC example of drafting.  You don't draft well for a decade, you lose.  Pure and simple.

Powell - ok part time rb 

Kerley - had one ok season in 2013 and has since been gone

Davis - you’re kidding right?

Jenkins - JAG, poor man’s Bryan Thomas

Adams - arguably the NFL’s most overrated player by far

Our drafts have stunk.  Yeah not everyone has to be a pro bowler but not every bust has to be Gholston

15 hours ago, Paradis said:

So much misplaced anger I'm seeing..

• "Joe Douglas needs to pay"
  • "Sam is soft" 
  • "This is all Khalil's fault"

Lol, what nonsense... Guess what - this is what selecting 14 Dlinemen in the last 8 drafts gets you. This is what passing on Centers and Tackles for 3rd round OLBs gets you. This is what paying Quincy to be your starting Z looks like... this is what happens when you don't draft a WR in the 1st since 2001... the list goes on and on and on...  Mercs and band aides. 

Lets recap

• Our in-house Oline consists of an overpaid RG and JAG RT.
  • our 2 RBs are paid FAs (got to be a first in NFL history)
  • our WR was invisible today, except for the hired help held to catch 5 yard dunks. 
  • Despite spending a country's net gross in draft capital on defensive front seven prospect, the only guy who showed up was FA. 
  • Our TEs are ballin' 

Meanwhile:

• Week 1 Rookies Hollywood Brown and DK Metcalf are already better than any Jets WRs... but who needs to draft skill players when you can just over pay for FAs

You don't draft well, you don't win... End of story. 

The clear putrid ability of MAC has been well established.   yes many have over reacted but absolutely, we have no Oline, CB, kicker gave up 3 seconds etc.  MAC sucks , I hope they poison his coffee.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And it wouldn't dismiss what the OP is saying even if we won yesterday.  As if any of these significant problems would just disappear because we started 1-0.  

No but realistically we would be on the way to  3-4 after the most brutal part of the schedule with a realistic shot at a wildcard since second half of the season schedule is easy

Just now, southparkcpa said:

The clear putrid ability of MAC has been well established.   yes many have over reacted but absolutely, we have no Oline, CB, kicker gave up 3 seconds etc.  MAC sucks , I hope they poison his coffee.  

Time to start saying Douglas sucks

I mean... No ones beating the Patriots this year anyway. I'm upset at the team and this roster, but I wasn't really holding out hope for a major change. I still think they get to 7 wins, somehow, but it's going to take a few years of good drafting and roster moves for this team to compete.

Frankly part of me is happy that a "window" for winning isn't open for the Jets right now, because I don't think they could compete with the Patriots this year... No one will. 

9 hours ago, JiF said:

Who are you yelling and cursing at, cutie pie? 

The team was good enough to get a 16-0 and force 4 turnovers.  Talent isn’t the reason they lost today.  It’s the reason they’re far from contenders duh but today’s loss?  No.  This was a choke job by a terribly coached team and the kicker who was -4, should have never been signed.  

Again, getting too myopic. This team finds ways to lose and it largely comes back to poor drafting. It has a ripple effect on the roster, on our record, on who wants to coach here, etc etc this week it’s a kicker next week it’s corner the week after blah blah 

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Again, getting too myopic. This team finds ways to lose and it largely comes back to poor drafting. It has a ripple effect on the roster, on our record, on who wants to coach here, etc etc this week it’s a kicker next week it’s corner the week after blah blah 

Do you consider the Bills a significantly more talented team than the Jets? 

I'm not slamming Macc for yesterday's L. The best players on the team like Sam, Bell, Mosely, etc he acquired. He gets some blame but not all of the blame. He didn't acquire Vedvik. He didn't call the plays or formulate the game plan. It wasn't the worst loss in the world. Last year the Bills obliterated us at Met Life with a third string Qb. 

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

Do you consider the Bills a significantly more talented team than the Jets? 

Are you kidding? Top to bottom, no question. We have a slight edge on offense tho you wouldn’t know it from the W-L column in the McDermott era. 

• "Sam is soft" 
Lol, what nonsense... Guess what - this is what selecting 14 Dlinemen in the last 8 drafts gets you. This is what passing on Centers and Tackles for 3rd round OLBs gets you. This is what paying Quincy to be your starting Z looks like... this is what happens when you don't draft a WR in the 1st since 2001... the list goes on and on and on...  Mercs and band aides. 
Lets recap
  • our WR was invisible today, except for the hired help held to catch 5 yard dunks. 
  • Despite spending a country's net gross in draft capital on defensive front seven prospect, the only guy who showed up was FA. 
  • Our TEs are ballin' 
Meanwhile:
  • Week 1 Rookies Hollywood Brown and DK Metcalf are already better than any Jets WRs... but who needs to draft skill players when you can just over pay for FAs

So true and great post. If you’ve had a chance to watch Josh Allen you’d have wanted him at three

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

28 minutes ago, Paradis said:

yes.  which drafted jets yesterday really played well?  main stars were FAs.  powell/cannon/enunwa were deemphasized.  herndon suspended.

• Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

No but realistically we would be on the way to  3-4 after the most brutal part of the schedule with a realistic shot at a wildcard since second half of the season schedule is easy

Nothing is easy for any NFL team, some teams make it looks easy. Jets are trying to crawl out of the bottom 3rd of the NFL for years, second half of schedule is not easy. Nothing ie easy for the Jets, where have you been. That's gonna change with JD, mark my words.The only way this gets screwed up is if ownership continues to screw it all up listening to idiots.

10 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Nothing is easy for any NFL team, some teams make it looks easy. Jets are trying to crawl out of the bottom 3rd of the NFL for years, second half of schedule is not easy. Nothing ie easy for the Jets, where have you been. That's gonna change with JD, mark my words.The only way this gets screwed up is if ownership continues to screw it all up listening to idiots.

We got the dolphins twice second half of the season and a bunch of other winnable games

We might be 1-6 by then

16 hours ago, Paradis said:

• "Sam is soft" 

Lets recap

• Our TEs are ballin' 

Meanwhile:

spot on...the depth on the Jets is non existent, and aside from a handful home grown talent is rare

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Philc1 said:

We got the dolphins twice second half of the season and a bunch of other winnable games

We might be 1-6 by then

Not like this......TOP....32 Min

3rd down conversions 40%.....        .......................Offense 8pts?............

I'm not willing to throw in the towel on 2019 after one week, but if the O line continues to play this poorly, it's going to be a very long year.  We can all agree that the O line isn't made up of all pros, but I expected way better than this.

Gase also needs to come up with a better gameplan to get Danold out of the pocket and away from the pressure.    

1 minute ago, Apache 51 said:

Not like this......TOP....32 Min

3rd down conversions 40%.....        .......................Offense 8pts?............

Bills have a good defense

Jets don’t have a defense if Mosely isn’t playing

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Buffalos game plan of rushing 5 was possible because they have the secondary to do it + they know our Oline is a weakness. Sam was never comfortable & lost his composure by backpedaling when he didn't need to. The Bills D got in his head & if he doesn't unnecessarily backpedal on the throw to Robbie he wins the game & he's a hero. 

But he didn't & give credit to the Bills defense. That's what pressure does to a QB. The only time Brady gets beat is by PRESSURE. Sam was constantly under pressure yesterday & was mentally fatigued by it. Allen on the other side got barely any pressure in that 4th quarter. Swap QBs in that game & the Bills win handily. 

this is all true and what most people get is "fixing" the OL doesn't solve it

if a defense chooses to send 5 or 6 it's daring the Qb to find the open man 

Joey Q Fanboy sits there saying "THE OL!!" but there's got to be someone open. Sometimes Sam was finding that player, sometimes he wasn't. 

these threads make it sound like the OL was as bad as the kicker - yes they gave up 4 sacks but  not 10. Guess what Buffalo's line sucks too, probably worse. 

Josh Allen had a strip sack too and he threw a pick 6 the guy was still making plays

half the board doesn't even root for wins anymore the biggest concern yesterday was Darnold didn't take a step forward.

I blame Gase to be honest. This is the offensive genius? Where were these plays coming from? Captain Checkdown all game? No one wants to talk about maybe Gase is terrible, maybe Sam is in a soph slump so all the offensive discussion manifests in hate for the line.

I know people won't believe this but the line isn't half bad. Brady lost his center 2 weeks ago to blood clots and Marcus Cannon to a shoulder during the game and still won by 30.  you don't get 4 seconds to throw in this league. Other teams are going to keep testing Darnold with pressure until he can prove he can beat the pressure

our last USC QB could never prove that, by the way. 

bottom line the game was 17-16 with 2 minute warning and 2 timeouts and Darnold looked lost out there. Clean pocket he was throwing it to no one.  that's the worst part of yesterday's game... after all the talk about kickers and cornerbacks, everyone who bought a 14 jersey is wondering if it was a safe call.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, DMan77 said:

I mean... No ones beating the Patriots this year anyway. I'm upset at the team and this roster, but I wasn't really holding out hope for a major change. I still think they get to 7 wins, somehow, but it's going to take a few years of good drafting and roster moves for this team to compete.

Frankly part of me is happy that a "window" for winning isn't open for the Jets right now, because I don't think they could compete with the Patriots this year... No one will. 

I was thinking the same win total but that was before I saw how bad the O-Line and secondary were.

I just don't see them winning more that 4 games.

Douglas thinking this kicker could work is bad. 

Thinking 280 pound Kalil off the beach was bad for Harrison and Douglas.  

He probably should have grabbed Alonso when Williamson went down.  

Keeping Leo and using the cap space for him was also bad  

So Douglas is not without blame here, although this is still mostly a CJ and Mac creates mess  

Teams that need a missing piece to make the playoffs will loot the tanking teams and mortgage their futures.   The Jets are not a few pieces from making the playoffs.  Darnold gets his Troy Aikman year 1 in year 2. Develop who you can and take the record you get.  The only exception to this is Trent Williams.  If he was signed for 3 years I would give up a 3rd for him, plus the money. 

I am waiting until the end of the year to declare Gase and Darnold incompetent  

Just now, JiF said:

Oh significant I can see.  Wonder how the game was so close. 

Uhhhh have you heard of Josh Allen? He tried multiple times to gift wrap us the W. 

Don’t get me wrong. Execution was down right pitiful, but I don’t for a second pretend like this roster of mercs is going anywhere significant.