Jets Re-signed Bronson Kaufusi to Practice Squad

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-claim-ol-conor-mcdermott-waive-dl-bronson-kaufusi

Friday, Oct 04, 2019 05:10 PM

Jets Claim OL Conor McDermott, Waive DL Bronson Kaufusi

E_c11i9699-allen-headshot

Eric Allen

Senior Reporter

Buffalo Bills tackle Conor McDermott (68) blocks during an NFL game against the Cleveland Browns, Friday Aug. 17, 2018, Cleveland. The Bills defeated the Browns 19-17. (Al Tielemans via AP)

Al Tielemans/Associated Press

The Jets have claimed OL Conor McDermott and waived veteran defensive lineman Bronson Kaufusi.

McDermott appeared in eight games for Buffalo in 2017-19 and was inactive in each of the Bills’ first four games this season. The 6’8”, 305-pounder, a sixth-round pick of the Patriots in the 2017 Draft, played collegiately at UCLA and started his last two years for the Bruins at left tackle. After being a final cut of the Pats, he was claimed by the Bills on waivers.

In three games this season, the 6’6”, 275-pound Kaufusi had three tackles and a half of a sack. Kaufusi suited up in six games for the Green & White the past two seasons and spend some time on the team’s practice squad in 2018. Originally a third-round pick of the Ravens in 2017, the 28-year-old Kaufusi has appeared in eight career contests.

Haven't seen this mentioned yet here. Was surprising to see because he seemed to show the most promise out of our EDGE guys on the line in pre-season, and his whopping 0.5 sacks leads all Jets linemen right now. But, I didn't realize the guy was already 28, though. Not exactly a "project" player. Perhaps it's only temporary roster shuffling due to all the injuries, and we'll see him back on either the roster or PS.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, JiF said:

lol - I love how all the young promising players we had in camp (and even in the game) are complete after thoughts as we continue to build the back end of our roster with veteran fodder.

Joey D baby!!!

Kaufusi is 28 years old. They cut him so the can play 25 year old Tarell Basham and 22 year old Frankie Luvu. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The guy looked twice as good as Leo williams this year in camp.

Which goes to show why camp doesn't matter nearly as much as the actual games. Bronson got a decent amount of snaps in games this season and was invisible. Phillips on the other hand stepped up and looked better in actual games. I think he pretty much make Bonson expendable. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

lol - I love how all the young promising players we had in camp (and even in the game) are complete after thoughts as we continue to build the back end of our roster with veteran fodder.

Joey D baby!!!

Lotta guys do look promising in pre-season when they are also playing scrubs.

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Kaufusi is 28 years old. They cut him so the can play 25 year old Tarell Basham and 22 year old Frankie Luvu. 

If that was there motivation, why even have him on the active roster?  They cut him to make room for Connor McDermott. 

Are Gase and Douglas paying you?

• Upvote 1

McDermott is more than likely better than the slugs we are lining up on the  OL don't know if thats saying much I have never taken notice to him playing before. 

DuCasse is still in the NFL right and Erik Flowers is playing better for Washington than he did for the Giants, give the kid a chance before bashing him. 

Beggars cant be choosers. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What do you think the bottom of the roster is used for if not for young players who can contribute?

What?  Kaufusi showed potential.  Made plays when given the chance.  McDermott won’t play.  He’s irrelevant.

Why drop a player who made plays when given a chance for a guy you’re not going to play?  

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

What?  Kaufusi showed potential.  Made plays when given the chance.  McDermott won’t play.  He’s irrelevant.

Why drop a player who made plays when given a chance for a guy you’re not going to play?  

They just made two changes on the OL and they wanted another RT prospect in the event Edoga does well enough to swing over to OLT at some point this year. Kaufusi is 28 years old and athletically limited. I don’t get the tears for him. He’s not at good, or young, or as athletic as Basham, nor is he as versatile as Luvu, who can play ILB, OLB, and on every special teams unit. You’ve also got Brandon Copeland coming back, so Kaufusi was never, ever getting on the field anyway. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They just made two changes on the OL and they wanted another RT prospect in the event Edoga does well enough to swing over to OLT at some point this year. Kaufusi is 28 years old and athletically limited. I don’t get the tears for him. He’s not at good, or young, or as athletic as Basham, nor is he as versatile as Luvu, who can play ILB, OLB, and on every special teams unit. You’ve also got Brandon Copeland coming back, so Kaufusi was never, ever getting on the field anyway. 

Copeland coming back is a good point that I didnt think about.  Kaufusi would be the odd man out in that scenario.  But you'd be dismissing away Luvu or Bashman if they were interchanged with Kaufusi in a heartbeat as you continue your creepy mission to defend any slight criticism of Gase/Douglas. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Copeland coming back is a good point that I didnt think about.  Kaufusi would be the odd man out in that scenario.  But you'd be dismissing away Luvu or Bashman if they were interchanged with Kaufusi in a heartbeat as you continue your creepy mission to defend any slight criticism of Gase/Douglas. 

#Actually, I like Basham because he’s a good athlete at a position where athleticism is key, and I like Luvu because he’s tough as balls and makes plays when he’s on the field. I liked Kaufusi because he seems nice, but I liked the other two more. If they wanted to cut Copeland to keep Kaufusi, I wouldn’t have been heartbroken in that scenario either, but only because of that self-righteous financial advice that Copeland offered (jUsT sAvE 8o% oF uR gRoSs InCoMe!) which is all the more amusing now considering he had to cheat the system to get paid in the first place. F@cking loser. Fu@king CTE Suze Orman-ass bitch.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

#Actually, I like Basham because he’s a good athlete at a position where athleticism is key, and I like Luvu because he’s tough as balls and makes plays when he’s on the field. I liked Kaufusi because he seems nice, but I liked the other two more. If they wanted to cut Copeland to keep Kaufusi, I wouldn’t have been heartbroken in that scenario either, but only because of that self-righteous financial advice that Copeland offered (jUsT sAvE 8o% oF uR gRoSs InCoMe!) which is all the more amusing now considering he had to cheat the system to get paid in the first place. F@cking loser. Fu@king CTE Suze Orman-ass bitch.

Did Manish write that too? 

Image result for manish mehta
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You're incredible.  When I was defending the depth of this team preseason; I sited both Bashman and Luvu as solid players who could provide actual depth behind Jenkins and Copeland, you literally did a ....lol Copeland/Luvu/Bashman lol....post in response.  

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

You're incredible.  When I was defending the depth of this team preseason; I sited both Bashman and Luvu as solid players who could provide actual depth behind Jenkins and Copeland, you literally did a ....lol Copeland/Luvu/Bashman lol....post in response.  

Link or gtfo

• Haha 1

Kaufusi showed some things in preseason that certainly earned him his roster spot at the time, but since then has done absolutely nothing when out there on the field amongst the starters.  While there's also plenty of other names I'm sure we all could've come up with as potential options to cut instead, I'm not particularly worried about it either.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Its "Basham" not to be confused with "Cashman".