Francesa's comment on Gase, post Dallas win. Very interesting.

WowOhWow

8 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I have some conflicting feelings about this situation.  First, it’s hard to win with a practice squad QB. I remember when Brady was suspended and Jimmy G got hurt, the Pats started a young Brissett against Houston. They barely let him throw the ball, finishing with about 100 yards through the air. Patriots still won, because they had a good team to support the situation.

I agree with Francesa in the sense Gase was pouting and proving a point that the roster that Mac built was garbage, unable to support major injuries. Gase didn’t seem to tailor anything around Falks strengths because Falk has no strengths.

But it did seem like Gase took no gambles, no shots to make a big play, almost content with losing those games because he knew they were a lost cause.

Either way, with Sam here...give us more of Sunday !

As far as Gase, I really don't  know if he was pouting unless pouting translates into not trying very hard. We don't  really know how high a football IQ Falk had so it could have been he just couldn't  learn how to run even the simple stuff which sort of would explain why he got cut and not sent back down but as someone else said, behind that OL, he was basically thrown to wolves. He was also playing against some stingy defenses. 

9 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Fatso is 100% right.  Look at how unprepared Simian and Falk were

You, with your vast football insight saw that Siemian was unprepared in his 6 passes?  

BTW, simian is a monkey, Siemian is the QB.  Confused a little?  Might explain things, lol

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

As far as Gase, I really don't  know if he was pouting unless pouting translates into not trying very hard. We don't  really know how high a football IQ Falk had so it could have been he just couldn't  learn how to run even the simple stuff which sort of would explain why he got cut and not sent back down but as someone else said, behind that OL, he was basically thrown to wolves. He was also playing against some stingy defenses. 

Agree and dont get how hard this is so hard to understand that we need all these fantasy explanations.

Anyone who has even a passing clue of how football coaches think knows theyre as far from quitters as you can find anywhere

7 hours ago, Jetster said:

Gase went into a knife fight with a butter knife in New England & Philly. We last won a game in Gillette in 2010 & have NEVER won a game in Philly. Gase knew with Luke Falk we had no chance, the Oline knew with Luke Falk we had no chance, Frank Pollack knew that with Luke Falk behind his sh*tty Oline we had no chance, Gregg Williams & his defense knew unless they scored at least 24 points themselves they had no chance. Every Jet fan in the entire WORLD knew we had no chance. Vegas knew we had no chance of keeping the games within 13 points. 

But let's pretend that we went into both of those games bursting with confidence. 

I always find it hilarious when people quote the betting line as a measure if the team really has a chance or not. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

I keep hearing you say this.  What does that mean?

That Falk isn't a scrub 3rd stringer because he knew Gase in Miami?  Somehow he's magically the best 2nd string quarterback in the NFL?

If the guy who picks up the trash in my office follows me to a new job in a different state it doesn't make him an office manager; it makes him the guy who picks up the trash.

SAR I

So How did falk end up in miami and then in NY? If Falk was so bad wouldn't gase have figured that out in miami but he thought enough of him to bring him into NY after he knew him. So how do you think Falk ended up in NY? I keep on hearing people who defended Gase in that stretch as saying Falk is a scrub 3rd stringer one that Gase thought highly enough to sign him to the practice squad 2x? So either you have to question the coach who evaluated his talent, or his game calling for the player. Who failed here, you blame Falk, I blame the guy who liked him so much he claimed him 2x either he failed coaching him with his play calling or he failed evaluating his talent.

The guy who picks up the trash in your office who follows you is a stalker. We both know the coach evaluates talent so your point is pretty much moot unless you evaluate your janitors performance and thought he knew the play book better then everyone else and brought him with you.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2019/5/2/18527461/miami-dolphins-waivers-luke-falk-new-york-jets-claim-adam-gase

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2019/09/21/why-ny-jets-luke-falk-might-turn-some-heads-against-patriots/2383346001/

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

gase wisely made the decision weeks ago that the focus should still be on what the offense will look like when darnold returns and not when falk is in there.  it took all of one game with darnold healthy to realize what this team can be.  if they can beat the patriots that would be 2 consecutive wins on national tv for fans to chew on.

I will guarantee you that even if we beat the Patriots in on Monday night, there will be a slew of posters still upset that the Jets didn’t hire their preferred (unnamed/nonexistent/was never coming here anyway) head coach. Not one of these motherf*ckers would recognize Matt Rhule or Mike McCarthy if one of them sat on their lap. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, rammagen said:

So How did falk end up in miami and then in NY? If Falk was so bad wouldn't gase have figured that out in miami but he thought enough of him to bring him into NY after he knew him. So how do you think Falk ended up in NY? I keep on hearing people who defended Gase in that stretch as saying Falk is a scrub 3rd stringer one that Gase thought highly enough to sign him to the practice squad 2x? So either you have to question the coach who evaluated his talent, or his game calling for the player. Who failed here, you blame Falk, I blame the guy who liked him so much he claimed him 2x either he failed coaching him with his play calling or he failed evaluating his talent.

The guy who picks up the trash in your office who follows you is a stalker. We both know the coach evaluates talent so your point is pretty much moot unless you evaluate your janitors performance and thought he knew the play book better then everyone else and brought him with you.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2019/5/2/18527461/miami-dolphins-waivers-luke-falk-new-york-jets-claim-adam-gase

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2019/09/21/why-ny-jets-luke-falk-might-turn-some-heads-against-patriots/2383346001/

You would have a better argument if Gase signed Falk to be Darnold’s backup, but all he did was sign him to the practice squad. 

In the NFL, scrub QBs get signed to the practice squad, just like any other position. No one plans on having to start their practice squad QB. 

(i. e. The fact that Gase had Falk on the practice squad doesn’t mean he thought Falk was a viable NFL QB - it just means that he needed a QB . . . on the practice squad) 

• Upvote 4

I will guarantee you that even if we beat the Patriots in on Monday night, there will be a slew of posters still upset that the Jets didn’t hire their preferred (unnamed/nonexistent/was never coming here anyway) head coach. Not one of these motherf*ckers would recognize Matt Rhule or Mike McCarthy if one of them sat on their lap. 

18 Baylor 6-0, passed a couple of tests already with a few to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He should have sat all the starters vs. Philly.

The tweaks to the OL seemed to have helped.  And in a way he did sit all the starters at Philadelphia.  It's not like we showed up.  Was more like a scrimmage.  Smart move.  No one got hurt.  Lost gracefully.

SAR I

4 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

He looked defeated because it was one thing after another with your big time players getting hurt. And then to get the news that your star QB has fn Mono?! Not an injured shoulder or anything.....mono. 

THEN your back up QB goes out in the first quarter. 

What Coach is gonna be rah rah at that point? Gase is fine. 

Gase looked 'defeated' after the Cowboys game too.  How about the guy is just understated and keeps his cards close to his vest.  Works for Belichick.  It's a smart strategy.  Give your future opponents nothing to work with.

SAR I

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, rammagen said:

Anyone who doubted Adam Gase should now be satisfied.  Name another Jets team that doesn't collapse after losing both their quarterbacks and starting 0-4.

Just on the evidence of the massive turnaround this Sunday with a team that stuck together and a QB that wanted to take the heat off his head coach we are in great hands with Coach Gase.  And, good lord, let us not forget Coach Gregg.  The D played its ass off.

SAR I

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Gase looked 'defeated' after the Cowboys game too.  How about the guy is just understated and keeps his cards close to his vest.  Works for Belichick.  It's a smart strategy.  Give your future opponents nothing to work with.

SAR I

Too many Jets fans get freaked out by coaches that don’t view being an outright clown as part of their job. My god, these people need to get a dog or some goldfish. The coach is not here to entertain you, you needy pinheads 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

That too. But he's all smiles in the building. Players and coaches really enjoy him. 

• Upvote 1

What a coach says or acts like means ZERO.  He can be loud like rex or stone faced like Bowles or googly eyed like Gase.  None of that matters. 

Win games and look like you know what you are doing.  I could care less about all the rest.

My criticism of Gase is because his resume in miami was sh*tty and his work here so far has been shotty other than one game where darnold took over.  I have low confidence he can get the very best out of Darnold of what i;ve seen so far, 

This is one reason I am hard on this offensive centric coach.  We have the QB I am confident of that I don't want the coach to screw it up.

4 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Say what you will about Vegas but they generally do a much better job than your feelings.

Since you brought that up, a spread is tool that gets even money or close to it on both teams. Bookies are not gamblers, they are business people  and they make money on the vig. If putting a 21 point spread on a Jets vs NE does it, that is what it will be. It doesn't  mean that will be the difference, it just means that is what Pat fans are comfortable  laying and Jet fans taking. That is why you see spreads change during the week, it's to even out the money, not because one team got better or worse.

3 hours ago, rammagen said:

Key words are PRACTICE SQUAD.

Gase snagged the guy to LEARN ON THE PS. He was thrust into starting after injuries to #1 and #2. Is this the norm in the NFL or what? NO.

This has been perverted to somehow be a knock on Gase but its just a cowardly slant on a guy trying to set this team up in spite of what we are. (Roster-wise) Give the guy a chance  to get things going here, Im sick of the revolving HC door here  for decades.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Interesting. What was the reasoning for that comment?  I was thinking that the offense was trimmed down due to what Falk could handle. We could see that Falk was struggling to see open receivers and looked shaky back there behind a suspect OL. You can't open up the playbook when the QB is struggling with the basics. 

It's really a shame too. Falk was simply not ready IMO. Not ready even with protection from a stout OL, but he was thrown to the wolves and got cut for it. His career may be over and that just sucks in reality. 

I am not a Gase fan but I don't know if I saw quit in him as you are stating. Any particular reasons for that thought other than a feeling? 

Our OL isn’t shaky. But they can’t protect a QB who was holding on to the ball forever or couldn’t feel the pressure. Falk also never stepped up in the pocket like Darnold does. Every OL needs that from their QB. Our OL isn’t great but I’d call it adequate. It gave up 2 sacks to the Dallas front 7. That’s a decent showing. 11 sacks is just a joke and majority of those were on Falk. He wasn’t made for the NFL. 

Adam Gase did not quit on the team the previous three weeks. I agree with Francesa that the Jets were non-competitive (I was at the Eagles game and it really sucked), but there is a difference between doing a crappy job and quitting.

Gase certainly didn’t do much to help Luke Falk be successful with his bad gameplan, but to say he went in these games with no effort/preparation is absurd. 

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Gase makes the fatal error of assuming the Jets fan base isn’t comprised of idiots, so he doesn’t spend a lot of energy jerking off their fragile egos by telling them they’re the bestest and that their team, with the third string QB, is going to go out and kick a bunch of ass no matter what when it’s obviously nonsense. This is the one thing Herm and Rex got right—they knew that significant swaths of the base were absolute boneheads with daddy issues and they rode those human piñatas to extra unearned years of employment here.  

Don't be so hard on yourself, friend.  But then again i think it was you stating that Bowles gained respectability, florishing after leaving the Jets, turning TB into a defense powerhouse lining hc job next year.

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, CurtMart said:

Our OL isn’t shaky. But they can’t protect a QB who was holding on to the ball forever or couldn’t feel the pressure. Falk also never stepped up in the pocket like Darnold does. Every OL needs that from their QB. Our OL isn’t great but I’d call it adequate. It gave up 2 sacks to the Dallas front 7. That’s a decent showing. 11 sacks is just a joke and majority of those were on Falk. He wasn’t made for the NFL. 

Our OL has been more than shaky (are we spelling that right? it looks weird lol). They have been atrocious.  They played better against Dallas and that has to do with Darnold's ability to avoid the rush, but also the fact that an injured KO was replaced by Lewis and Edoga is playing well. They have also played together as a unit for a while now. That especially helps Kalil.  They are also not helping the running game which is very bad for the passing game and the QB. 

I'm with you on Falk and that was kinda my point. He was no where near ready to be the starter. That's a guy who needed to sit as the 3rd Qb on the practice squad for a couple of years. He showed something by beating out Webb but all of his potential was destroyed by being in the spotlight early. Especially behind our OL. Just look at how many times Beachum has been decimated on the blind side alone. Falk was not ready to deal with that type of pressure and it showed. Its a bummer that he will most likely not get the chance to simmer on the sideline for the requisite timeframe to grow as a QB. Maybe the XFL is an option for him. Who knows? 

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

Anyone who doubted Adam Gase should now be satisfied.  Name another Jets team that doesn't collapse after losing both their quarterbacks and starting 0-4.

Just on the evidence of the massive turnaround this Sunday with a team that stuck together and a QB that wanted to take the heat off his head coach we are in great hands with Coach Gase.  And, good lord, let us not forget Coach Gregg.  The D played its ass off.

SAR I

No because one game does not make coach SAR you should know that. He made the same play calls the difference is Sam was covering for him. so you are willing to let 4 crappy games coached by him with play calling slide. A great qb covers for that. I noticed though you asked a question I answered that and you did not respond to that but instead changed the subject to the above.

Falk was Gase's choice so either way you cut Falk can't play or Gase did not coach well enough it is on Gase his ability to coach or to judgetalent. Sam covers for allot of issues but if your telling me you need a pro browl level QB to be successful as a head coach in this league for your system to work I would say the system or the coach is the issue

Consider me more critical, this defense has been the saving grace for this team. You can even say for the special team issues they had with kicker the coach and special teams never gave up and made the correct play calls . You cant say that about the offense. 

9 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Key words are PRACTICE SQUAD.

Gase snagged the guy to LEARN ON THE PS. He was thrust into starting after injuries to #1 and #2. Is this the norm in the NFL or what? NO.

This has been perverted to somehow be a knock on Gase but its just a cowardly slant on a guy trying to set this team up in spite of what we are. (Roster-wise) Give the guy a chance  to get things going here, Im sick of the revolving HC door here  for decades.

Key word is he judged the talent practice squad or not either way you slice it he judged the talent and brought him here. he played him if he knew he was not ready they should have tried to go with something different.

Cowardly? wtf those are facts he brought him in fact he started him if he was not ready he should have done something different but he did not that we can see. You can't defend that either he is bad at judging tatent or he never coached the kid to try to make an effort

13 hours ago, slimjasi said:

You would have a better argument if Gase singed Falk to be Darnold’s backup, but all he did was sign him to the practice squad. 

In the NFL, scrub QBs get signed to the practice squad, just like any other position. No one plans on having to start their practice squad QB. 

(i. e. The fact that Gase had Falk on the practice squad doesn’t mean he thought Falk was a viable NFL QB - it just means that he needed a QB . . . on the practice squad) 

No in th NFL practice squad are for player you want to keep and develop if the kid was not ready after the injury to qb #2 they should have brought in someone else then shouldn't they have. 

These arguments that Falk sucks and is not an NF QB are stupid my point is that if was not ready he should not have played game 3 or 4 Gase brought him in you can't pick players and then say they suck as a cop out as to why the team performed poorly. This was a guy you had in your system 2 yrs if he was not ready and if you did not call plays built around him then it is on the coach,it is not all on the player.

If I hore you for a job and and you suck at after two yrs of training whose fault is that mine or yours? you can try really hard and be bad, is it my fault for keeping you around even though one day the group may depend on you, and when that happens and you fail? IS that strictly your fault or is it mine for not finding a more viable solution or trying to put in into a role where you would succeed.

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Too many Jets fans get freaked out by coaches that don’t view being an outright clown as part of their job. My god, these people need to get a dog or some goldfish. The coach is not here to entertain you, you needy pinheads 

Please here are the fans that don't know what they want.  

Wanted a task master like Parcells got Mangini.  Then he was too strict, wanted someone loose.  Got Rex.  Then he became a clown, wanted a serious guy who the players respected.  Got Bowles initially all the comments were how he was a breath of fresh air, was respected and not a bafoon like Rex.  Then, well we know what happened. 

Finally wanted a HC with PRO experience.  From the Offense side of the ball.  Who was considered a creative, new type O mind.  Jets hire Gase who checks all the boxes and the whining begins.  Could have hired McCarthy with the stale offense everyone in GB thought was passed by.  Especially the press and Rogers.  Who in the three seasons Rogers was injured lost more games than Gase did in 3 seasons with his starter out.  Or we could have had Ruhle.  A worse record than Gase, never a success, on the college level, a coach who refused the Jets wanting him to bring in a OC with NFL exp to teach Darnold.

Some don't even know what they want

6 minutes ago, rammagen said:

No in th NFL practice squad are for player you want to keep and develop if the kid was not ready after the injury to qb #2 they should have brought in someone else then shouldn't they have. 

No, again, all indications were that they legitimately thought Darnold was going to be back for the Philly game. Siemian got hurt in the middle of the Cleveland game, so we are really talking about Falk having to start one game (@NE - a game you probably aren't winning with any backup QB, anyway). 

No coach expects to be starting his practice squad/3rd string QB in week 3. It was just typical (SOJ) luck. 

As for the rest of your post, what you are missing is that very, very few QBs turn out to be viable NFL starters after a couple of years on the practice squad. This isn't like training for that loss prevention job at Best Buy. 

To me, the notion of blaming a coach because his third string quarterback sucks is patently absurd. 

I'm not saying Gase did a good job while Darnold was gone, but I can't sh*t on him just because Falk played like what he is - a third string QB. 

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

No, again, all indications were that they legitimately thought Darnold was going to be back for the Philly game. Siemian got hurt in the middle of the Cleveland game, so we are really talking about Falk having to start one game (@NE - a game you probably aren't winning with any backup QB, anyway). 

No coach expects to be starting his practice squad/3rd string QB in week 3. It was just typical (SOJ) luck. 

As for the rest of your post, what you are missing is that very, very few QBs turn out to be viable NFL starters after a couple of years on the practice squad. This isn't like training for that loss prevention job at Best Buy. 

To me, the notion of blaming a coach because his third string quarterback sucks is patently absurd. 

I'm not saying Gase did a good job while Darnold was gone, but I can't sh*t on him just because Falk played like what he is - a third string QB. 

and you are completely ignoring my fact that Gase thought enough of Falk to bring him with him to NY, you are willing to let him pass on that the lack of fire in the offensive team and Gase for 3 weeks. I am being just as critical of him as I am of the previous coach and will contunue to be. And no this is not best buy but my point is still valid. If you had the guy on the active roster last yr with the fins and claimed him to bring him into NY thought enough of him to put him on the practice squad then bring him up to be the #2 abd then find out he is crap someone is not doing their home work

2 minutes ago, rammagen said:

and you are completely ignoring my fact that Gase thought enough of Falk to bring him with him to NY, you are willing to let him pass on that the lack of fire in the offensive team and Gase for 3 weeks.

Correct, Gase signed a scrub QB to the practice squad, just like every coach/GM in the league. 

• Upvote 1