Francesa's comment on Gase, post Dallas win. Very interesting.

WowOhWow

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

That’s one spin.  Another is that he knew the limitations of his third string QB and didn’t ask him to do things he couldn’t.  Guess time will tell but the team had a players only meeting and reportedly it wasn’t a bitch session about the coaching and I’d think they’d know better than anyone

Very much like Bowles who I HATE!  But, he had no talent to work with and I assume that was one of the reasons our offensive plays looked basic and dull.

Although MF crucified Sanchez as a pussy, non leader when he ate a hot dog on the sidelines.  Turns out he was right. A REAL HC like Tomlin, Coughlin would NEVER allow that and a real player wouldn't do it.  So...  maybe Fat Boy is on to something.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Specifically how did he quit?

I think they mistaken disappointment for quitting. Guy was so hyped to work with Sam and then the Buffalo game happen . Sam shows up all sluggish and weak. They lose best defender then drop a fourth quarter lead. Then he finds out his red headed warrior got the mono and gone fir at least a month.  Dude was like a kid at Christmas expecting a puppy opening the present and finding only the collar Then his mom says,” you’ll get the rest next year honey.” 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 3

I actually called into the show yesterday " Steve from Patchogue". I was making a point about the difference you see when Sam plays, and how he can make every single kind of throw. Touch passes, Frozen Ropes, hitting guys in stride xcetera. Obviously the offense was built around Sam's strengths and it would not have made sense to get Osweiler in here, that would have been as much of a disaster as Falk. Neither of those guys could make the same throws as # 14. I even ripped the Fatman and made a horse racing reference LOL. What good is a great jockey with a bad horse!? And of course I got hung up on! LMFAO

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Gase makes the fatal error of assuming the Jets fan base isn’t idiots, so he doesn’t spend a lot of energy jerking off their fragile egos by telling them they’re the bestest and that their team, with the third string QB, is going to go out and kick a bunch of ass no matter what when it’s obviously nonsense. This is the one thing Herm and Rex got right—they knew that significant deaths of the base were absolute boneheads with daddy issues and they rode those human piñatas to extra unearned years of employment here.  

I was at the MNF game vs the Niners 2 weeks after 9/11 with my brother. I was scoping out escape routes as everyone was on edge. Lost my voice expressing my displeasure with the barbecue man. OMG did that guy fool this fan base. He put more attention into his barber in Hempstead & the part in his hair then he did to improving a damn talented team he was given. 

29 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I didnt like the Gase hire, but I cant say that the man quit during any game or at any time. When folks say things like that they should be more specific, such as "how" he quit. Did he stop preparing for games, did he slack off on team/coach meetings or taking the time to review film? 

Where exactly did he quit? Did he decide not to coach the game during game days? The comment is ridiculous. Did he like his situation? No. Did he like fielding Siemian or Falk? No. Were either of those guys competent enough for us not to miss Darnold? Hell no. 

Honestly, I dont mind calling a player or coach trash, if that's what they show. But to say someone quit? That cant even be taken seriously. 

Dude got his first win. Let the man have his moment. 

Exactly. 

• Upvote 2

Well the fans of Adam Gase are fine with the team not performing to any professional NFL level so why should gase.

It's Falk how can you expect the team to do anything at all!!?!?!  That is not on the the offensive guru coach we hired to make the offense decent!

Falk knew the offense better than anyone.

Falk was chosen by Adam Gase after having him all that time in Miami.

Gase did a brilliant thing in giving darnold most of the #1 reps before he was cleared thus tossing falk into a game with limited reps.

Countless other teams have actually bucked up and at least looked decent if not better with out the starters.

I thought we hired an offensive coach because he was supposed to be really good at coaching offense?  Which means over performing in that side of the ball.

Gase to CJ during the coaching interview "I'll have a great plan and will coach great, as long as my starter franchise QB is in there, otherwise just look away for a few games."

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

2 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

Found a comment Mike made on Gase very interesting yesterday.  I felt the same way but couldn't quite put my finger on exactly what it was that I saw in Gase that bothered me so much during the games that Sam was out.

Mike was commenting on the Jets win, very complementary of Sam and what he brings to our franchise.  At the end of his statement he commented on how Gase was pouting after his QB's got hurt and really let the franchise down.  Literally didn't even try to compete.  Mentioned the players stayed together (credit to Gase) but thought it was very telling that there is a "lot of quit in Gase".  

I felt the same way.  I felt like he literally quit when the going got hard.  Rare to see in a NFL head coach...who are usually the type to grit their teeth and fight through anything.  Gase didn't and it bugged the crap out of me.

Go ahead and kill the messenger but although we won a game and Sam showed the world what a difference a competent QB can make...but man, Gase is just not the type of coach I believe will last very long here.

It's hard in the best of time in NY...

Go ahead and tell me I'm not a real fan (can't wait).

Total bullshlt.  

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well the fans of Adam Gase are fine with the team not performing to any professional NFL level so why should gase.

It's Falk how can you expect the team to do anything at all!!?!?!  That is not on the the offensive guru coach we hired to make the offense decent!

Falk knew the offense better than anyone.

Falk was chosen by Adam Gase after having him all that time in Miami.

Gase did a brilliant thing in giving darnold most of the #1 reps before he was cleared thus tossing falk into a game with limited reps.

Countless other teams have actually bucked up and at least looked decent if not better with out the starters.

I thought we hired an offensive coach because he was supposed to be really good at coaching offense?  Which means over performing in that side of the ball.

Gase to CJ during the coaching interview "I'll have a great plan and will coach great, as long as my starter franchise QB is in there, otherwise just look away for a few games."

Falk was chosen?  So much so that he was on the practice squad? 

Could you stick to facts and not some script you're reading from.  

Other teams are on our level?  Same talent in Pitt or wherever? All these teams, they not only lost their starters, they lost their backups?   They all, in 3 games, played the Browns, Pats and Eagles?  All things are equal?  

ONLY you wouldn't have given Sam the reps a week ago.  Really, hats the line that says it all

Youre going to stick with all teams are equal, along with all QBs can run the same offense?  Gase should have magically called plays for Falk that would have overcome his inability to recognize and deal with a blitz, who couldn't change blocking assignment when the defense lined up, couldn't find a WR and can't throw the ball medium range to the outside.  You know why he was a practice squad player.  He allowed himself to get sacked 10 times by a team that had 3 in 4 games.  Seeing what Sam did against a good DL and that same OL should make you take notice.  Should see the difference between a real QB and a desperate fill in.   

Nah

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s a pretty impressive feat, to have 53 guys quit and then come out and beat the Cowboys after, I guess, un-quitting. Like magical. 

Gase didn't "quit".  He smartly realized that there was no way to win with a third stringer like Luke Falk and so he did everything possible to put the team in a good position when Sam Darnold returned to the field.  He minimized the playbook.  He didn't rush Mosley or Thomas back to the lineup.  He gave Sam all the reps during Eagles week.

The end result?  We stole a game from the Cowboys.  With Darnold looking like he never missed a month.  With WR's running uncovered all over the field.  With the D completely focused on turning the season around.

I believe it was another brilliant, yet unorthodox, move by the Jets that many misinterpret.  We traded up to #3 in the draft without knowing what QB would be there.  We fired Maccagnan at a weird time, scooped the league and got the best GM candidate on the market.  Abdicated the unwinnable Pats and Eagles games to focus solely on the Cowboys and steal a win.  Great stuff.  Aggressive stuff.  Championship stuff.

SAR I

• Upvote 4

New York Jets head coach Adam Gase doesn’t plan on making many adjustments to his game plan with Luke Falk starting at quarterback.

A New York Jets season that started with optimism has seemingly reached the brink of collapse entering their Week 3 matchup with the New England Patriots (1 p.m. ET, CBS). Sam Darnold is going to miss his second game with mono, and Trevor Siemian is out for the season with an ankle injury.

The team is thus turning to Luke Falk, a former sixth-round pick who was cut after training camp this season and had never been on the 46-man gameday roster of a team until Monday night. In addition to making his first start, Falk will have to match up against one of the best defensive minds in football, Bill Belichick.

Despite all that, head coach Adam Gase plans to let Falk run the full offense.

“I really didn’t have to adjust much,” Gase told reporters, via ESNY’s Robby Sabo. “I was probably being too cautious. I probably held him back a little bit.”

Gase went on to compliment Falk’s understanding of the playbook.

“He knows the offense, he trusts the guys around him. He does a good job communicating everything. Very quick on his feet, very smart. I think he does a good job staying within the play. He executes what we’re asking to do well. And he can get us out of bad plays as well.”

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah this is a crap take to me.   Gase didn't quit.   It sucks knowing your QB shouldn't even be on the field and there is nothing you can do about it.   By all accounts Gase worked his ass off to try and fix what he thought he could.   My issue with Gase is he is the one who brought in Falk as the number 3 QB.   So that is on him.    

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I have some conflicting feelings about this situation.  First, it’s hard to win with a practice squad QB. I remember when Brady was suspended and Jimmy G got hurt, the Pats started a young Brissett against Houston. They barely let him throw the ball, finishing with about 100 yards through the air. Patriots still won, because they had a good team to support the situation.

How pathetic is it at the same time the Patriots were finding and drafting talents like Garoppolo and Brissett, we passed on them for raw diamonds like Calvin Pryor, Jace Amaro, Darron Lee and Christian Hackenberg?

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

New York Jets head coach Adam Gase doesn’t plan on making many adjustments to his game plan with Luke Falk starting at quarterback.

A New York Jets season that started with optimism has seemingly reached the brink of collapse entering their Week 3 matchup with the New England Patriots (1 p.m. ET, CBS). Sam Darnold is going to miss his second game with mono, and Trevor Siemian is out for the season with an ankle injury.

The team is thus turning to Luke Falk, a former sixth-round pick who was cut after training camp this season and had never been on the 46-man gameday roster of a team until Monday night. In addition to making his first start, Falk will have to match up against one of the best defensive minds in football, Bill Belichick.

“I really didn’t have to adjust much,” Gase told reporters, via ESNY’s Robby Sabo. “I was probably being too cautious. I probably held him back a little bit.”

“He knows the offense, he trusts the guys around him. He does a good job communicating everything. Very quick on his feet, very smart. I think he does a good job staying within the play. He executes what we’re asking to do well. And he can get us out of bad plays as well.”

Because if there's one thing I know for a fact, it's that coaches are always 100% honest with the media.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

How pathetic is it at the same time the Patriots were finding and drafting talents like Garoppolo and Brissett, we passed on them for raw diamonds like Calvin Pryor, Jace Amaro, Darron Lee and Christian Hackenberg?

That's XFL draftee Jace Amaro to you.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I remember a decent chunk of this board wanted Brissett. I liked him and would have been happy with him, but I really wanted us to draft Jimmy G.

Either way I am so grateful we have Sam Darnold.

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Jets fans feeling happy over a big win.  Happy with Darnold and the way the offense ran

Others are stuck on how the team somehow didn't p,at as well with their third string, practice squad QB against the Browns, Pats and Eagles.

We need an in depth inquiry into how that's possible.  One that should go on for months on end, much better than dwelling on over a win.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

seriously.  the two games that gase prepared for with falk as the clear starter were at NE and at phily, the last 2 super bowl champs.  it was a futile situation, he knew it, the players knew it, NE and phily knew it.  

Pittsburg just beat the Chargers with a practice squad QB.  It was not futile.  The Jets were non-competitive and as the OP noted felt like they weren't even trying to be competitive.

Just now, Barkus said:

once simian went down they should have brought in another vet like osweiller. Falk had no business being out there and that is Gase’s fault. 

That’s silly. It’s an impossible situation. You can’t pick up a QB off the street on Tuesday and have him ready to play the Patriots on Sunday. 

The following week he was given confidence Sam would be back in time for the Eagles game.  Found out on Thursday it wasn’t happening. 

And despite this, Sam and the O looked brilliant against the Cowboys, not a speck of rust on him. 

You want to blame Gase for Falk’s performance?  You better suck him dry for Darnold’s. 

SAR I

4 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

Found a comment Mike made on Gase very interesting yesterday.  I felt the same way but couldn't quite put my finger on exactly what it was that I saw in Gase that bothered me so much during the games that Sam was out.

Mike was commenting on the Jets win, very complementary of Sam and what he brings to our franchise.  At the end of his statement he commented on how Gase was pouting after his QB's got hurt and really let the franchise down.  Literally didn't even try to compete.  Mentioned the players stayed together (credit to Gase) but thought it was very telling that there is a "lot of quit in Gase".  

I felt the same way.  I felt like he literally quit when the going got hard.  Rare to see in a NFL head coach...who are usually the type to grit their teeth and fight through anything.  Gase didn't and it bugged the crap out of me.

Go ahead and kill the messenger but although we won a game and Sam showed the world what a difference a competent QB can make...but man, Gase is just not the type of coach I believe will last very long here.

It's hard in the best of time in NY...

Go ahead and tell me I'm not a real fan (can't wait).

Gase can win with very good to great QBs, unlike someone like a Tomlin who can win with any QB. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I have some conflicting feelings about this situation.  First, it’s hard to win with a practice squad QB. I remember when Brady was suspended and Jimmy G got hurt, the Pats started a young Brissett against Houston. They barely let him throw the ball, finishing with about 100 yards through the air. Patriots still won, because they had a good team to support the situation.

I agree with Francesa in the sense Gase was pouting and proving a point that the roster that Mac built was garbage, unable to support major injuries. Gase didn’t seem to tailor anything around Falks strengths because Falk has no strengths.

But it did seem like Gase took no gambles, no shots to make a big play, almost content with losing those games because he knew they were a lost cause.

Either way, with Sam here...give us more of Sunday !

Just asking...wasn't Falk Gase's guy?  Didn't he spend a year in the system?  If he was so terrible why in the world would Gase keep him around?  Falk stinks but why absolve Gase?