Francesa's comment on Gase, post Dallas win. Very interesting.

WowOhWow

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Gase went into a knife fight with a butter knife in New England & Philly. We last won a game in Gillette in 2010 & have NEVER won a game in Philly. Gase knew with Luke Falk we had no chance, the Oline knew with Luke Falk we had no chance, Frank Pollack knew that with Luke Falk behind his sh*tty Oline we had no chance, Gregg Williams & his defense knew unless they scored at least 24 points themselves they had no chance. Every Jet fan in the entire WORLD knew we had no chance. Vegas knew we had no chance of keeping the games within 13 points. 

But let's pretend that we went into both of those games bursting with confidence. 

The problem with this argument is that teams win all the time with their back-up and third string QB's.

The Bolded is the problem and the OP's point.  As a HC you CAN'T go into a game "knowing" you have no chance.  

You need to keep your team motivated and try to put together a plan to work - I agree, Gase seemed to go into those games thinking they had no chance to win and the team performed accordingly.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I remember a decent chunk of this board wanted Brissett. I liked him and would have been happy with him, but I really wanted us to draft Jimmy G.

Either way I am so grateful we have Sam Darnold.

Agree, water under the bridge.  But man o man has our front office sucked...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I have some conflicting feelings about this situation.  First, it’s hard to win with a practice squad QB. I remember when Brady was suspended and Jimmy G got hurt, the Pats started a young Brissett against Houston. They barely let him throw the ball, finishing with about 100 yards through the air. Patriots still won, because they had a good team to support the situation.

I agree with Francesa in the sense Gase was pouting and proving a point that the roster that Mac built was garbage, unable to support major injuries. Gase didn’t seem to tailor anything around Falks strengths because Falk has no strengths.

But it did seem like Gase took no gambles, no shots to make a big play, almost content with losing those games because he knew they were a lost cause.

Either way, with Sam here...give us more of Sunday !

I agree. Falk was historically bad but Gase did nothing to put a quasi competent NFL offense on the field. The 1 trick play in 3 games led to the 1 offensive TD in those 3 games. It was brutal to watch and most of the blame falls on Falk but man Gase did nothing to mix things up a little. People bust on Francessa but he does make good points. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

Found a comment Mike made on Gase very interesting yesterday.  I felt the same way but couldn't quite put my finger on exactly what it was that I saw in Gase that bothered me so much during the games that Sam was out.

Mike was commenting on the Jets win, very complementary of Sam and what he brings to our franchise.  At the end of his statement he commented on how Gase was pouting after his QB's got hurt and really let the franchise down.  Literally didn't even try to compete.  Mentioned the players stayed together (credit to Gase) but thought it was very telling that there is a "lot of quit in Gase".  

I felt the same way.  I felt like he literally quit when the going got hard.  Rare to see in a NFL head coach...who are usually the type to grit their teeth and fight through anything.  Gase didn't and it bugged the crap out of me.

Go ahead and kill the messenger but although we won a game and Sam showed the world what a difference a competent QB can make...but man, Gase is just not the type of coach I believe will last very long here.

It's hard in the best of time in NY...

Go ahead and tell me I'm not a real fan (can't wait).

Listen for yourselves.  Here's the audio.  Happy we won but I agree with Mike.

https://wfan.radio.com/media/audio-channel/mike-francesa-jets-sam-darnold-return

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

And Riverboat Ron. UDFA second year QB.

How long has Riverboat Ron been in Carolina putting in his system? Hell, their castoff Center is starting for us. Your arguments & comparatives are ridiculous

• WTF? 2

54 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Because if there's one thing I know for a fact, it's that coaches are always 100% honest with the media.

So you are saying?  "I know Falk is horrible and I can do nothing about it.....even though I brought him in and even though myself and the gm have had time to find a better replacement and because many other teams are performing admirably with lesser qbs at the helm.

Believe the coach on points that support your argument, say 'aw coaches lie' for anything that does not.

Offensive head coach, toss in the towel if the starter is hurt.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So you are saying?  "I know Falk is horrible and I can do nothing about it.....even though I brought him in and even though myself and the gm have had time to find a better replacement and because many other teams are performing admirably with lesser qbs at the helm.

Believe the coach on points that support your argument, say 'aw coaches lie' for anything that does not.

Offensive head coach, toss in the towel if the starter is hurt.

We live in a post-truth world, brah. Feelings over facts!

48 minutes ago, Barkus said:

once simian went down they should have brought in another vet like osweiller. Falk had no business being out there and that is Gase’s fault. 

Actually not bringing another QB in is on the GM.  

Problem is all those who didn't want the HC from the get go outnumber all those, maybe one person, who didn't want the GM.  Let's be serious here.  

45 minutes ago, jgb said:

Not bringing in vet QB was really dumb in hindsight after Sam’s illness was known. And dumb in foresight after week 2.

Maybe but they were leaning towards his return for the Eagles.  So bringing in a QB and teaching him the offense for one game? 

Hindsight yeah, we would have gotten 2 games with a off the street scrub.  Would he have beaten the Pats or Eagles? 

• Upvote 1

Always funny.  99% of whatnFrancessa says is trolling for listeners.  He says stupid shlt to rile up Jets fans.  Read it here constantly.  

He's clueless and hates the Jets

Until he says something stupid to rile up Jets fans that is in line with someone's thinking, then it's amazingly insightful and is posted as fact.

Nothing about Gases demeanor, nothing he said about Falk or the team even comes close to suggesting he quit on the team.  

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Maybe but they were leaning towards his return for the Eagles.  So bringing in a QB and teaching him the offense for one game? 

Hindsight yeah, we would have gotten 2 games with a off the street scrub.  Would he have beaten the Pats or Eagles? 

Probably not but we would’ve raised the odds beyond 0%. Belichick has become the best ever by aggregating tiny individual advantages (some legal, some not) into a significant total advantage.

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The problem with this argument is that teams win all the time with their back-up and third string QB's.

The Bolded is the problem and the OP's point.  As a HC you CAN'T go into a game "knowing" you have no chance.  

You need to keep your team motivated and try to put together a plan to work - I agree, Gase seemed to go into those games thinking they had no chance to win the team performed accordingly.

Good teams, the Jets aren't a good team right now unless EVERYONES healthy. We had the 3rd pick the draft last year, that means we were the 29th worst team in the league. 

So are you telling me that other teams go into Gillette stadium with 3rd string practice squad QBs and test their metal? Big Ben went in there this year & put up a giant donut 0-30. 

Or are you telling me that our 3rd string practice squad QB was going to be the 1st QB in Jets history to record a victory on the road in Philly? 

Asking for a friend. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just scanning this thread and I just saw that Mike Tomlin and Ron Rivera know how to win things without an elite qb and I wonder what sport most of you watch when football is on

2-4. Let's give Mike Tomlin the Jets Oline & we'll take the Steelers Oline. Be an interesting point spread next Monday. 

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Interesting. What was the reasoning for that comment?  I was thinking that the offense was trimmed down due to what Falk could handle. We could see that Falk was struggling to see open receivers and looked shaky back there behind a suspect OL. You can't open up the playbook when the QB is struggling with the basics. 

It's really a shame too. Falk was simply not ready IMO. Not ready even with protection from a stout OL, but he was thrown to the wolves and got cut for it. His career may be over and that just sucks in reality. 

I am not a Gase fan but I don't know if I saw quit in him as you are stating. Any particular reasons for that thought other than a feeling? 

He had a 3rd string QB who hadn't taken a live reps in weeks and is unable to throw the ball more than 50 feet.   He makes up for his lack of arm strength by not really being able to read a defense, so he holds the ball too long trying to figure out where the running back is for a 3 yard pass.

• Upvote 1

I think some extraordinarily bad luck was responsible for the 0-4 start rather than the coach "quitting.  Falk was a 3rd string QB who played the majority of 3 consecutive games and was historically bad.  To be fair, that's almost impossible to overcome as a coach.    

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, KRL said:

I'm no Gase defender, I questioned the hire and he has a lot to prove.  People
can bash him for those three games but everyone refuses to acknowledge this one
point, Falk was a practice squad QB who had no business starting.  Could it be
that Falk couldn't handle what Gase try to feed him and he had to dumb the offense
down?  The post game comments by multiple players seem to indicate that, Beachum
said its amazing what the offense can do with someone who knows what they're doing
back there

But again Falk was Gase's guy followed him from Miami either way Gase cant evaluate talent or Gase did not do a good job coaching by drawing up plays to the qbs strength.

Any way you spin the final responsibility falls onto Gase. if the QB was no good why bother taking time on talent that would never make it in the nfl and go try to find someone in the off season the executes the plays you want in the fashion you want

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I agree. Falk was historically bad but Gase did nothing to put a quasi competent NFL offense on the field. The 1 trick play in 3 games led to the 1 offensive TD in those 3 games. It was brutal to watch and most of the blame falls on Falk but man Gase did nothing to mix things up a little. People bust on Francessa but he does make good points. 

Yeah, I agree. For a so called offensive genius, you’d expect to be able to score a little bit. So maybe he was basically just running out the clock for 2 games and 3 quarters. I think he thought he could actually execute to an extent with Siemien. But man Falk was horrendous.

I kind of found myself agreeing with Mike when he said that. That was part of the reason I was bashing Gase even though I knew he was completely limited at QB. It was just the vibe I got from him and the way the team looked.

But there's really no way to tell Gase was doing that unless he comes out and admits it which he won't do. It's a matter of opinion based on how he and the team looked. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Let me state what was said above a little differently..... Teams win often with their back-up and third string QBs if they have significant capabilities, strengths and depth in other areas.

The Jets are not the kind of team that can win with a Practice Squad QB at starter, and certainly not against good teams like the Patriots, Eagles, etc.  The OLine simply isn't good enough.  We don't have Julio Jones or Deandre Hopkins running routes or Travis Kelce getting open over the middle.  The Jets Defense, while solid, isn't a game-changing defense with elite pass-rushers.  There's no game wrecker like Khalil Mack scoring points for the defense.

That's my only exception with your statement.  Some teams can win with a backup against inferior opponents.  A bad team that can ONLY win with an excellent QB like Darnold doesn't really stand a chance without him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s a pretty impressive feat, to have 53 guys quit and then come out and beat the Cowboys after, I guess, un-quitting. Like magical. 

Exactly.  Or....perhaps.....and this might be crazy talk.....the Jets never quit and the entire team knew exactly what Gase knew all along, that bringing Luke Falk into a shootout with the Eagles was as good as bringing a gun with no bullets.

42 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I think some extraordinarily bad luck was responsible for the 0-4 start rather than the coach "quitting.  Falk was a 3rd string QB who played the majority of 3 consecutive games and was historically bad.  To be fair, that's almost impossible to overcome as a coach.    

The Jets found out that Darnold was out on the Monday before the Cleveland game.  All attention turned to getting Trevor Siemian ready.  Siemian goes down early in the game.  We're stuck with Luke Falk for that game and then forced to use him on the road in New England and in Philadelphia, the two teams in the 2017 Super Bowl and two of the best coached teams in the NFL.

The only thing I'm pissed about is Week 1.  We had that one.  The Jets could/should be sitting at 2-3 right now.

• Upvote 2