Francesa's comment on Gase, post Dallas win. Very interesting.

WowOhWow

While definitely still on the fence about Gase,  Have to agree with others that I think it had alot to do with Falk's limitations. Remember he was practice squad. Also have to look at some of the quotes from players about Falk. Most tried to be nice with comments like "he was giving his best" but one of the linemen (maybe Beechum) made a comment after the game yesterday along the lines of "nice to have a real QB back there"

I think game 1 was a Douglas negative and games 2-4 Gase negatives.  It is possible that Falk was so bad that Gase knew he was helpless. But Falk was also Gase’ guy. 

Harrison is still not playing.  Originally blamed Gase for not playing him.  But he must be really bad.  Gase and Mac resigned him 

Let’s see how Gase manages the rest of the season.  I don’t see him lasting in NY, but Douglas needs a roster he can sell to another coach. 

• Upvote 1

I have some conflicting feelings about this situation.  First, it’s hard to win with a practice squad QB. I remember when Brady was suspended and Jimmy G got hurt, the Pats started a young Brissett against Houston. They barely let him throw the ball, finishing with about 100 yards through the air. Patriots still won, because they had a good team to support the situation.

I agree with Francesa in the sense Gase was pouting and proving a point that the roster that Mac built was garbage, unable to support major injuries. Gase didn’t seem to tailor anything around Falks strengths because Falk has no strengths.

But it did seem like Gase took no gambles, no shots to make a big play, almost content with losing those games because he knew they were a lost cause.

Either way, with Sam here...give us more of Sunday !

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

I'm no Gase defender, I questioned the hire and he has a lot to prove.  People
can bash him for those three games but everyone refuses to acknowledge this one
point, Falk was a practice squad QB who had no business starting.  Could it be
that Falk couldn't handle what Gase try to feed him and he had to dumb the offense
down?  The post game comments by multiple players seem to indicate that, Beachum
said its amazing what the offense can do with someone who knows what they're doing
back there

like not being a statue in the pocket, and throwing the ball to open receivers instead of locking onto his first read and having to see the throw WIDE OPEN to be able to pull the trigger? 

The majority of people don't watch the ALL 22 film or understand offensive principals and schemes, so it's hard as a fan, to make judgements on players and coaches when we really don't have ALL the information.  

28 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Interesting. What was the reasoning for that comment?  I was thinking that the offense was trimmed down due to what Falk could handle. We could see that Falk was struggling to see open receivers and looked shaky back there behind a suspect OL. You can't open up the playbook when the QB is struggling with the basics. 

It's really a shame too. Falk was simply not ready IMO. Not ready even with protection from a stout OL, but he was thrown to the wolves and got cut for it. His career may be over and that just sucks in reality. 

I am not a Gase fan but I don't know if I saw quit in him as you are stating. Any particular reasons for that thought other than a feeling? 

43 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

Found a comment Mike made on Gase very interesting yesterday.  I felt the same way but couldn't quite put my finger on exactly what it was that I saw in Gase that bothered me so much during the games that Sam was out.

Mike was commenting on the Jets win, very complementary of Sam and what he brings to our franchise.  At the end of his statement he commented on how Gase was pouting after his QB's got hurt and really let the franchise down.  Literally didn't even try to compete.  Mentioned the players stayed together (credit to Gase) but thought it was very telling that there is a "lot of quit in Gase".  

I felt the same way.  I felt like he literally quit when the going got hard.  Rare to see in a NFL head coach...who are usually the type to grit their teeth and fight through anything.  Gase didn't and it bugged the crap out of me.

Go ahead and kill the messenger but although we won a game and Sam showed the world what a difference a competent QB can make...but man, Gase is just not the type of coach I believe will last very long here.

It's hard in the best of time in NY...

Go ahead and tell me I'm not a real fan (can't wait).

I think it is a fair comment. Gase obviously had to dumb down the offense and I am sure there were probably things he wanted to run but couldn't because of who had at QB. 

Why he went with Falk instead of a guy like Osweiler is beyond me.

He basically took Powell and Montgomery out of the entire offense entirely during those games and put it all on Bell.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Fatso is 100% right.  Look at how unprepared Simian and Falk were

I respectfully disagree.  Siemian played what - a quarter and the Browns were coming hard after him.  Even in a perfect world Siemian is not a very good QB.  Falk does not have an NFL arm, has terrible field vision and zero pocket presence.  I have to assume Gase called as conservative a game plan as possible to avoid a turnover fest.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, deucebag said:

I respectfully disagree.  Siemian played what - a quarter and the Browns were coming hard after him.  Even in a perfect world Siemian is not a very good QB.  Falk does not have an NFL arm, has terrible field vision and zero pocket presence.  I have to assume Gase called as conservative a game plan as possible to avoid a turnover fest.

seriously.  the two games that gase prepared for with falk as the clear starter were at NE and at phily, the last 2 super bowl champs.  it was a futile situation, he knew it, the players knew it, NE and phily knew it.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, WowOhWow said:

Found a comment Mike made on Gase very interesting yesterday.  I felt the same way but couldn't quite put my finger on exactly what it was that I saw in Gase that bothered me so much during the games that Sam was out.

Mike was commenting on the Jets win, very complementary of Sam and what he brings to our franchise.  At the end of his statement he commented on how Gase was pouting after his QB's got hurt and really let the franchise down.  Literally didn't even try to compete.  Mentioned the players stayed together (credit to Gase) but thought it was very telling that there is a "lot of quit in Gase".  

I felt the same way.  I felt like he literally quit when the going got hard.  Rare to see in a NFL head coach...who are usually the type to grit their teeth and fight through anything.  Gase didn't and it bugged the crap out of me.

Go ahead and kill the messenger but although we won a game and Sam showed the world what a difference a competent QB can make...but man, Gase is just not the type of coach I believe will last very long here.

Very interesting...

1 hour ago, WowOhWow said:

Not going to say your not a real fan at all but I do think when Gase had to deal with a QB who just had basically zero chance to accomplish anything its very deflating. When you call a play and see that QB just can't execute and you have to go backwards in your playbook or dial in short passes because said QB can't see what the defense is doing that can be frustrating as well. Im not sure what Gase was supposed to do when his QB could not even convert a single 3rd down in 2 full weeks

• Upvote 1

Gase went into a knife fight with a butter knife in New England & Philly. We last won a game in Gillette in 2010 & have NEVER won a game in Philly. Gase knew with Luke Falk we had no chance, the Oline knew with Luke Falk we had no chance, Frank Pollack knew that with Luke Falk behind his sh*tty Oline we had no chance, Gregg Williams & his defense knew unless they scored at least 24 points themselves they had no chance. Every Jet fan in the entire WORLD knew we had no chance. Vegas knew we had no chance of keeping the games within 13 points. 

But let's pretend that we went into both of those games bursting with confidence. 

• Upvote 3