Bell and Adams will be Traded this Off Season

slats

1 hour ago, King P said:

It would have been a late 1st. Fitzpatrick was traded for what will be an early pick as well as a couple extra late picks.

Like it or not, Minkah became the bar for what Jamal should go for. Adams > Fitzpatrick, so we should get more for Jamal than Miami got for Minkah

Stop with the ‘bars’. ...no two teams are in the same position at any given point in time. If it makes sense to you to trade Adams for an offer you received, even though it was for less than the supposed ‘bar’ you make the deal. 

thinking like this is why we drafted QW rather than take a deal for the #3 pick that may have been below the ‘bar’. 

If you are down on the Jets, the last thing you want to hear is that we're trying to trade the best players on both sides of the football. Why not make them the center pieces to attract FA to play along with next offseason?

Because to attract FA, you have to win games. If Bell and Jamal could win us a few games, you’d have a point perhaps. But they really can’t. No one is itching to play with those 2 if the team goes 4-12 / 5-11.

• Upvote 1

Myles isn’t as good as Adams and I’m talking about the next few seasons not just this year. 

We’re sucking for our 3rd straight season since Jamal arrived. He isn’t the guy to build around to win in Years 4 and 5.

Of course Myles isn’t as good. But the dropoff isn’t significant. Replace Adams with Myles over the last 3 seasons and we’re 9-30 or 8-31 instead of 10-29. The horror.

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because to attract FA, you have to win games. If Bell and Jamal could win us a few games, you’d have a point perhaps. But they really can’t. No one is itching to play with those 2 if the team goes 4-12 / 5-11.

I was never a fan of signing Bell but it’s unfair to blame him.  No Sam for 5 weeks, OL sucks, Gase sucks

I actually think Bell goes nuts next several weeks and gets us some Ws

We need so much draft capital that it’s almost sad. And the fact that you couldn’t even get decent value for the TWO BEST PLAYERS on the roster shows you how bad that roster actually is.
They got decent value for Leonard Williams what makes you think we couldn't have gotten decent value for Adams or bell if we were willing to trade him. There is a differance between decent value and a blockbuster trade which is what I assume we were looking for. You should try the glass half full thing sometimes it must not be fun being miserable all the time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

10 hours ago, DJF71 said:

Hopefully not Bell.  He is one the true leaders of the Jets. 

Would be completely foolish to trade your best players. They are too young. Once we fix our line in the off season and get some new players in free agency this will be a totally different team. They are young enough to make a difference while Sam is on his rookie contract. Bring in at least 3 linemen, one corner and a receiver, get back Williamson and possibly Mosely and Herndon shows up some day and we can turn this around quickly. If we weren't decimated with injuries and illness we would not be in this position. We lost our QB for three games and he was ill for one. We lost 2 of our stud linebackers for basically the whole season, O line was injured, lost Enunwa, etc. That's too much for a team to overcome. I bet we go on a little run from here if Herndon comes back.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Rontez Myles can replace Adams’ weekly five tackles, and Montgomery and Powell can take Bell’s place getting skull-f*cked by unblocked nose tackles 

Its true adams does little. Not sure why everyone thinks he is so good.

to our advantage the league thinks he is so good that he should land us quality compensation. I hate loudmouths..... bye bye loser get your 5 tackles and zero ints elsewhere. Safety is the least important position on D imo

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

We need so much draft capital that it’s almost sad. And the fact that you couldn’t even get decent value for the TWO BEST PLAYERS on the roster shows you how bad that roster actually is.

Dallas offered a 2020 first round pick. JD wanted more. That isn't  bad. That said, I doubt Bell is moved due to the cap hit and I'm not so sure anyone is going to offer more than Dallas

1 hour ago, Irktusk1957 said:

“The whole is greater than the sum of it’s parts?” Wouldn’t call it destitute, bad maybe. lacking uh huh, but destitute?

Terrible OL, no pass rush or corners, below average receiving group, and no team has a worse record since 2016 except the Browns.  I'd call that destitute.  

this topic is pretty silly.  it depends on how ready this team is to compete in 2020.  if it is deemed ready then it would be foolish to trade away players who will be integral to the success.  and even though adams is a box safety, when he gets re-signed he will get box safety money.  as for bell they have hime for 4 seasons.  he'll still be viable at season 4 but as a trade target hi age and contract is going to work against getting much for him.

as for the comments about needing draft capital, that may be true but if this team is supposed to compete in 2020 or even 2021 they're going to need way more than 7 draft picks each season and they will need to be biased towards the top of the rounds.  even there the chances of getting more than one or two impact players through each round of the draft are pretty slim.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

this topic is pretty silly.  it depends on how ready this team is to compete in 2020.  if it is deemed ready then it would be foolish to trade away players who will be integral to the success.  and even though adams is a box safety, when he gets re-signed he will get box safety money.  as for bell they have hime for 4 seasons.  he'll still be viable at season 4 but as a trade target hi age and contract is going to work against getting much for him.

as for the comments about needing draft capital, that may be true but if this team is supposed to compete in 2020 or even 2021 they're going to need way more than 7 draft picks each season and they will need to be biased towards the top of the rounds.  even there the chances of getting more than one or two impact players through each round of the draft are pretty slim.

Please.  We're not going to be competitive in 2020 with or without Le'Veon and  Jamal Adams.  Might as well stockpile as many picks as possible.   We have a new GM here who is going to try to clean up Macc's mess after being the worst or 2nd worst team in the NFL from 2016 to present.  There's no reason to sit on the picks we have and keep trying to compete with a roster that Douglas didn't build.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Please.  We're not going to be competitive in 2020 with or without Le'Veon and  Jamal Adams.  Might as well stockpile as many picks as possible.   We have a new GM here who is going to try to clean up Macc's mess after being the worst or 2nd worst team in the NFL from 2016 to present.  There's no reason to sit on the picks we have and keep trying to compete with a roster that Douglas didn't build.  

team comparisons are always hard to make but the jets went from 1-15 to 9-7 under parcells and the both the rams and the 49ers went from door mats to respectable in one season.  conversely we've seen teams go from playoff to door mat.  it happens.  a lot of things can happen in one season.  

11 hours ago, King P said:

It would have been a late 1st. Fitzpatrick was traded for what will be an early pick as well as a couple extra late picks.

Like it or not, Minkah became the bar for what Jamal should go for. Adams > Fitzpatrick, so we should get more for Jamal than Miami got for Minkah

IDK About that. A slot/nickel/ good corner is more valuable than a safety, even though Adams is a much better player. I think a 1 2 and 3 would be solid but I'd like a bit more. Preferable a 1 and a pair of 2s. Maybe two first rounders but that could be a stretch. 

45 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

They got decent value for Leonard Williams what makes you think we couldn't have gotten decent value for Adams or bell if we were willing to trade him. There is a differance between decent value and a blockbuster trade which is what I assume we were looking for. You should try the glass half full thing sometimes it must not be fun being miserable all the time.

As I said in the OP, Leo was the only guy they had to move because they didn't have him under contract next season. The trade deadline was a dry-run for trading other players. They got offers, made counters, and now that can marinate for a couple months. JD can lower his threshold to sell, other teams might step up if they think they're a Jamal Adams or Le'Veon Bell away. 

The Jets need to fix a lot. People talk about fixing things thru the draft, but you have a few first and second day picks and then you've got a lot of thoughts and prayers. You can't expect fix the OL, WR, CB, EDGE positions with your own picks over a couple offseasons. The Jets need draft capitol and cap room (lost in the Leo Williams trade was the freeing up of over $7M in cap space). 

The Jets have to decide what they want to do with a so-called super-star strong safety. Yes, he's very good at what he does, but do they want to give him the $12M or so he'll be due in his fifth year option? Will they want to give him a record-breaking contract for his position? Because that's where they're going to be with him two and three years from now. He's currently only due $3.5M next year. That makes him a valuable commodity on the trade market, and I fully expect Joe Douglas to cash that chip. 

Le'Veon Bell will be harder to move because of the contract. That could come down to how little JD is willing to take to clear his $13M guaranteed next year off the books. 

• Upvote 1

No idea what he will do. It makes sense to blow it up, but it also doesn’t. He’s only got Darnold for two more years on a rookie deal (5th year option will cost $) so if you think he’s the real deal wouldn’t you build a competitive team around him? Draft picks can help, but you can’t bank on them contributing much as rookies. 

Just now, rangerous said:

team comparisons are always hard to make but the jets went from 1-15 to 9-7 under parcells and the both the rams and the 49ers went from door mats to respectable in one season.  conversely we've seen teams go from playoff to door mat.  it happens.  a lot of things can happen in one season.  

And exactly how often does that occur?  For every time a team makes a huge turnaround there's many that suck one year and then suck the next.  

And what matters isn't becoming a 9-7 team next year.  It needs to be becoming a perennial contender.  For once we need to be willing to make a complete tear down rather than these stupid "competitive rebuilds" past GM's sold us on.  

21 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Dallas offered a 2020 first round pick. JD wanted more. That isn't  bad. That said, I doubt Bell is moved due to the cap hit and I'm not so sure anyone is going to offer more than Dallas

If the Jets trade Bell this offseason, they'd save over $7M next year alone, and clear up another $28M over 2021 & '22. 

6 minutes ago, RonaldJet said:

No idea what he will do. It makes sense to blow it up, but it also doesn’t. He’s only got Darnold for two more years on a rookie deal (5th year option will cost $) so if you think he’s the real deal wouldn’t you build a competitive team around him? Draft picks can help, but you can’t bank on them contributing much as rookies. 

How much does a very good box safety help Darnold? As much as a first round pick spent on the OL or at WR? 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

And exactly how often does that occur?  For every time a team makes a huge turnaround there's many that suck one year and then suck the next.  

And what matters isn't becoming a 9-7 team next year.  It needs to be becoming a perennial contender.  For once we need to be willing to make a complete tear down rather than these stupid "competitive rebuilds" past GM's sold us on.  

i don't disagree with the rebuild but at some point the team needs to decide when they want to be competitive.  i'm sure when parcells took the job he wasn't planning on waiting a season or two to build up the talent.  same thing with rex.  i don't think gase was thinking he'd have to wait a season or two to build up the talent before being competitive.  and no matter what team we talk about they all have a considerable amount of churn whether it's because of injury or getting better players or having to deal with the salary cap.

As I said in the OP, Leo was the only guy they had to move because they didn't have him under contract next season. The trade deadline was a dry-run for trading other players. They got offers, made counters, and now that can marinate for a couple months. JD can lower his threshold to sell, other teams might step up if they think they're a Jamal Adams or Le'Veon Bell away. 
The Jets need to fix a lot. People talk about fixing things thru the draft, but you have a few first and second day picks and then you've got a lot of thoughts and prayers. You can't expect fix the OL, WR, CB, EDGE positions with your own picks over a couple offseasons. The Jets need draft capitol and cap room (lost in the Leo Williams trade was the freeing up of over $7M in cap space). 
The Jets have to decide what they want to do with a so-called super-star strong safety. Yes, he's very good at what he does, but do they want to give him the $12M or so he'll be due in his fifth year option? Will they want to give him a record-breaking contract for his position? Because that's where they're going to be with him two and three years from now. He's currently only due $3.5M next year. That makes him a valuable commodity on the trade market, and I fully expect Joe Douglas to cash that chip. 
Le'Veon Bell will be harder to move because of the contract. That could come down to how little JD is willing to take to clear his $13M guaranteed next year off the books. 
The Patriots built their empire on free agency and discipline. They drafted a couple good players but alot of their success has come from reviving the careers of players who had not found a great deal of success elsewhere. The point here is that the draft though important is not the only way to build long-term success you need to make smart moves in free agency as well. For the record the Patriots value the safety position and locked their safety up to a long term deal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, rangerous said:

i don't disagree with the rebuild but at some point the team needs to decide when they want to be competitive.  i'm sure when parcells took the job he wasn't planning on waiting a season or two to build up the talent.  same thing with rex.  i don't think gase was thinking he'd have to wait a season or two to build up the talent before being competitive.  and no matter what team we talk about they all have a considerable amount of churn whether it's because of injury or getting better players or having to deal with the salary cap.

Who cares what Gase wants.  He brought Douglas in to rebuild the roster.  He doesn't get any real say in how competitive or non-competitive the team is in 2020.  

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Yeah, and if he weren’t, I’m certain Douglas would say, “disappointed we couldn’t trade him now, but there’s always the off-season....”

JD is putting out a fire here, nothing he is saying can be taken literally and I'm sure he's annoyed to have to be doing it in the first place. 

"When you talk about the traits you are looking for that's Jamal" . I think it's safe to assume calling the GM a liar on social media for the world to see wouldn't be one of those traits

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Huh?  Dude was acting like Gase "came here to win" and will be pissed if Douglas sells off assets.  When in actuality that's exactly why Douglas is here and not Macc.  

If you think the HC who brought JD here "doesn't get any real say" in the roster you've lost it, If he doesn't get any real say he won't be here.

I was reacting to that part

17 hours ago, slats said:

Leonard Williams was the only guy Douglas had to move by the trade deadline, as he was a free agent as soon as the season ended. Bell and Adams are under contract, Douglas can take his time moving them. No need to rush if working the phones for a couple months in the winter can get him better deals. 

and I also saw a unicorn the other day