R.I.P Scout Board

41 minutes ago, THE_STOOLSPRAYER said:

One of the best times ever here was April fools day 2008. @Maxman setup a fake moderator forum with fake moderators. The real mods were in stealth mode lol sooth signs up and trolls jet Moses and BP. Then  @GreenBeans redirected his ip addy to ihop.com

also the sooth nation April fools day was hilarious too. We all knew how bitter he was about this place because he was nice enough to inadvertently give a JN mod access to his beloved JI mod forum. Oh my goodness gracious the JN mod forum was buzzing with excitement late late at night after clandestine ventures into the JI mod forum hahahaha 

Dude you have like 12 fake accounts, just post under your regular account lol.

Those were good times though. Loved that Greenbeans was able to send Sooth to ihop. He had to be like wtf is going on here. Awesome.

• Haha 1

I just thank God trolls like Patsfan TX aren't allowed to run wild here.  It made JI unreadable.  I loved that place, was very sad to see it go, was out in the chat page wilderness for days until I found this beacon on fandom.   But yes, as someone else said, chat pages change but the Jets don't.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

What are those from?

In 2007 JI did this “adopt a Jet” thing, posters picked a player, skinned it with those templates, and used it as their sig. Instead of players, I adopted Sean and Pete.  Was sort of funny. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

In 2007 JI did this “adopt a Jet” thing, posters picked a player, skinned it with those templates, and used it as their sig. Instead of players, I adopted Sean and Pete.  Was sort of funny. 

SAR I

I am not familiar with Pete, that is funny though.

I do remember you signing up here to check things out when we started. And a certain female thought you were someone else and was really rude to you. Chased you away. You were an innocent man!  :)

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Basically I went in right before the draft one year and they outlined a horrific horrific vision. Premium memberships and they bragged about having 32 marketing people to help sell jerseys and drive people to Buffalo wild wings. Every time someone goes to one of the events at Buffalo wild wings I'll make money. Sell premium memberships I'll make money. This was their pitch. They use the Minnesota Vikings as a success story. Along with a few college teams. When I asked about they're not being a need for insider access for a team like the Jets because there's so many beat reporters covering the team for free they disagreed.

They were willing to either buy us outright or partner with us. They claim they had so much money they were willing to fly to me to make a presentation. Scout said they were going to be the number one destination for men on the internet. From ping pong to camping to every single sport. If a man likes it they were going to be the place to go and talk about it.

When they told me they had 30-something marketing people and we're hiring another 20 interns I asked how many technical people they had. Pointed out that the forums had some technical problems. They had like two or three people in I.T I think but they were in charge of everything, the forums the servers everything else.

Simply put I knew at that moment there was no way it was going to work. I said I'm not comfortable giving you control to our Twitter to tweet selling tickets after a Jets loss. Same for email I said when you have people that don't follow football the messaging is going to be wrong. They disagreed.

They had no way to convert the forums and told me they would just bring it over as an archive. Their main pitch was that they would manually take everyone's user account and put it into the new username and post count. That was their way of saying posts wouldn't be lost. I disagreed and tried to talk about how things could be converted. They made it clear they weren't going to waste time on it. They told me I brought up a lot of good points but basically they showed that they didn't care about any of it. And from one conversation you could tell that they really hadn't thought about much. They had millions of dollars they bought scout pack and they said Yahoo didn't know what they were doing, they did.

The day I sat there was the first time my wife had cancer. Walking into the building the draft was still in New York it was the day before the draft and people were lined up for tickets. There was so much energy it was exciting. In the meeting I thought about everything my wife was going through with her surgeries and chemo.

At that moment it was 100% clear I wasn't doing this and I didn't care how much money they were offering. So many people here have become really good friends. It was such an outpouring of support when my wife was sick I'm like there's no way I could turn my back on everyone.

Even bigger than that I realized, what the hell would I do with my time? I love checking the site, posting here, editing the articles, doing social media and just working on the technology behind all of this. This place became my therapy lol.

So for those reasons you are all stuck with me.  :)

I will try to find the PPT and post some of it with their "vision". Truly horrific stuff.

For the record, this forum is far and away the best sports forum I've ever been on.  That's mainly because of how well run it is.  This forum is as good as the current Jets are bad.  lol

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

For the record, this forum is far and away the best sports forum I've ever been on.  That's mainly because of how well run it is.  This forum is as good as the current Jets are bad.  lol

Thank you!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jgb said:

Max you deserve a lot of credit. Not only did it end up in hindsight to make a lot of sense but at the time you decided not to sell out all of us. Much respect Phil. You’re honestly one of the coolest dudes I know.

Thank you.

Thanks man I appreciate that. Tom Shane is going to send you hate mail for being nice to me but we will work through that lol.

There was a day a few years after launching the site. I got a text message saying the site was down. Before that, it used to stress me out. Like in many ways running this place was literally killing me. I was at the stadium, we were walking into the game and I just said there is nothing I can do. It was like the first time I realized I need to calm down. The server rebooted and the site was up in 5 minutes. But this site has taught me so much (web technology, marketing, social media). And the people have been amazing.

Every once in awhile we get harassed but we always leave a light on for those that hate us. They usually come around. But I wouldn't change the experience here for anything. Getting a 6 figure + check from Scout would have been nice for the bank account. It just would have been pissing all over everything everyone here has worked for.

We sit at the stadium and the team says JETS NATION.  That term was never used until this site launched. That's pretty cool, that is what everyone here built.

So when Scout called years ago and when Sports Illustrated called two months ago, it was thanks but no thanks.

Someday I will retire and I will cover the team like a beat reporter. Sitting at training camp everyday saying the hot shot new QB is the best defensive player I have seen since Jamal Adams.  :)

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Thanks man I appreciate that. Tom Shane is going to send you hate mail for being nice to me but we will work through that lol.

There was a day a few years after launching the site. I got a text message saying the site was down. Before that, it used to stress me out. Like in many ways running this place was literally killing me. I was at the stadium, we were walking into the game and I just said there is nothing I can do. It was like the first time I realized I need to calm down. The server rebooted and the site was up in 5 minutes. But this site has taught me so much (web technology, marketing, social media). And the people have been amazing.

Every once in awhile we get harassed but we always leave a light on for those that hate us. They usually come around. But I wouldn't change the experience here for anything. Getting a 6 figure + check from Scout would have been nice for the bank account. It just would have been pissing all over everything everyone here has worked for.

We sit at the stadium and the team says JETS NATION.  That term was never used until this site launched. That's pretty cool, that is what everyone here built.

So when Scout called years ago and when Sports Illustrated called two months ago, it was thanks but no thanks.

Someday I will retire and I will cover the team like a beat reporter. Sitting at training camp everyday saying the hot shot new QB is the best defensive player I have seen since Jamal Adams.  :)

Much love. Land of misfit toys became the best sports site on earth. Incredible.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I liken the whole thing to the MJ vs Prince debates of the 80s and 90s. In the end, Prince won, just like Max did. Then again both guys are dead. This is actually a really terrible analogy now that I think about it. 

Took me a full minute to realize  MJ wasn’t Michael Jordan. That was actually an even worse analogy. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I liken the whole thing to the MJ vs Prince debates of the 80s and 90s. In the end, Prince won, just like Max did. Then again both guys are dead. This is actually a really terrible analogy now that I think about it. 

Geez, thanks lol.

I just turned 50 so I am hoping I have many years of moon walking left.

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Pretty sure EY and Klecko ruined JI. Soorh just sold off the ruins,  and uh, um everyone’s Emails. 

I remember when we heard rumblings. Depending on Sooth's decision we were either getting EY or Green Jets and Ham. It was a good position to be in because I know sooth would make the wrong decision. 

We got EY and what nobody told me was he was bringing like 2,000 people with him. Worked out great for us!

• Haha 3

Just now, NYJ1 said:

I, quite frankly, find NO difference between JN and JI. The only reason why I migrated over was because the population was lost overnight at JI. Sooth made a very unwise decision.

Well there are some technical differences, behind the scenes stuff that sooth neglected. But I won't bore everyone with software and SEO talk.

The thing is, and I agree with your premise, people don't care all that much about functionality. We are typing words. So unless you really remove all the functionality at once (which he did) you will be okay.

Historical gloat: When Scout called JetNation was much bigger than ji. They still had an active message board but we were out posting them and they had no blog presence or social media. But he should have been fine for a long time, he just made a terrible decision and pulled the plug overnight.