The line played better when Winters went down.

freestater

1 minute ago, freestater said:

Kalil and Winters are huge liabilities. I pray Beachum doesn't go down again. None of them are good by any stretch, but Compton and Harrison are better. If Edoga can actually improve at RT, Darnold might not die this year. So yay. 

Agreed. I think Shell is our most consistent lineman, and he doesnt even start now lol. Crazy stuff. Can't wait for our 3 new starters next season.

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s amazing how much more at ease Darnold is when he has Beachum in the game. Not that Beachum is that great, but it’s pretty clear that Darnold was expecting instant pressure off the left side with Edoga in there. 

Yes you've been saying this and you were right. Edoga was really bad at LT. Getting beachem back upgraded both tackle positions.

Hope I never have to see either suit up in a Jets uniform again.

I can at least understand the logic behind bringing Kalil out or retirement. He was one of the better centers in the league for a decade and Harrison despite not being an utter sh*tshow, certainly was nothing special either. But Kalil has been completely dreadful.

Winters I’ve wanted to get rid of for the last 3 seasons. I know he tried playing with the torn pec a season or two ago, but clearly his slapdick play goes beyond that.

The OL is worse than I ever could’ve imagined.

I legitimately want 5 new starters next year.

Beachum (if we can’t land Thomas/Wirfs), Lewis and maybe Edoga (strictly at RT) are the only ones that I would even entertain. And even then I would still want legit competition for all of them.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Hope I never have to see either suit up in a Jets uniform again.

I can at least understand the logic behind bringing Kalil out or retirement. He was one of the better centers in the league for a decade and Harrison despite not being an utter sh*tshow, certainly was nothing special either. But Kalil has been completely dreadful.

Winters I’ve wanted to get rid of for the last 3 seasons. I know he tried playing with the torn pec a season or two ago, but clearly his slapdick play goes beyond that.

The OL is worse than I ever could’ve imagined.

I legitimately want 5 new starters next year.

Beachum (if we can’t land Thomas/Wirfs), Lewis and maybe Edoga (strictly at RT) are the only ones that I would even entertain. And even then I would still want legit competition for all of them.

I'm fine with Harrison remaing as C-2, but yes starters across the board hopefully. Scherff is my throw-money-at FA, with picks o-plenty spent around him

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

The offensive line in The Longest Yard would play better with Winters off of it.  But to be fair, they did have George Sampson, who was Mr. Florida in 1964.

Personally, John Candy or Chris Farley would make a better RG in their primes than Winters. RIP.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He benched Shell for Edoga, at least

Edoga will be on the roster next year (even if only as a reserve). Shell won't be. Edoga needs experience, and the team needs to see how much (if at all) he improves between his first games this season and December. Practice is part of that assessment, but practice alone isn't a good gauge.

Can they pencil in Edoga as one of their starters in 2020? Have to play him in 2019 to find that out. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Edoga will be on the roster next year (even if only as a reserve). Shell won't be. Edoga needs experience, and the team needs to see how much (if at all) he improves between his first games this season and December. Practice is part of that assessment, but practice alone isn't a good gauge.

Can they pencil in Edoga as one of their starters in 2020? Have to play him in 2019 to find that out. 

I don’t know if Edoga’s problem is mental or physical or both, but he’s one of the worst OL I’ve ever seen. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s among the early cuts in training camp next year, assuming Douglas loads up on linemen in the draft and free agency. I’m not sure what it’d take to re-up Beachum, but it might make sense to draft one of the big tackles in the first round and let them play ORT for awhile while Beachum stays at LT.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t know if Edoga’s problem is mental or physical or both, but he’s one of the worst OL I’ve ever seen. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s among the early cuts in training camp next year, assuming Douglas loads up on linemen in the draft and free agency. I’m not sure what it’d take to re-up Beachum, but it might make sense to draft one of the big tackles in the first round and let them play ORT for awhile while Beachum stays at LT.

At least they're giving it every possible chance. They're not blind to his play. He'll either improve or he won't, but they have to see it not pencil him in as a 2020 starter without doing so and guessing he'll improve with a little playing time. Likewise, what if he starts to look good enough, but benching him now they won't get to see it. The season's in the toilet anyway. At least learn something about the players. 

Too early to tell. We still don't know which upcoming FA tackles won't actually be FAs once the clock strikes midnight on March whateverth. Beachum may be the best one of the lot, sadly, when the time comes.

The problem with Beachum is they'll have to pay him starting LT money to keep him because there's a shortage around the league and there are always teams that are willing to simply blame being on the Jets as a reason why someone played at a lower level for the Jets. 

The reality is they're not going to head into the draft with an outright hole at any OL position. At a minimum they'll have a stopgap in place that they feel they can go with if the draft doesn't pan out as they hope. Only exception is if an awesome LT prospect is projected at the top of round 1 and we pick high enough that we know for sure (in March) that we're going to get him. 

The one that was supposed to help the number of holes this year was Osemele, who was at least signed for next year. Now he's gone as well. It's easy to look up, but offhand I think the only linemen we have under contract for next year are Edoga + Winters + Harrison. 

It would be depressing as f*** if we're going to start to heal the OL wounds and the first OL transaction we make is to re-sign Beachum.

1 hour ago, freestater said:

Kalil and Winters are huge liabilities. I pray Beachum doesn't go down again. None of them are good by any stretch, but Compton and Harrison are better. If Edoga can actually improve at RT, Darnold might not die this year. So yay. 

Solid observation. You have to wonder if we might actually be able to run the ball with that line. 

Lost in the hysteria over Sam is the complete absence of a run game while having a likely first ballot HOF running back in our backfield. 

If we could get Bell 100-120 total yards a game we might actually go on a run with the opposition ahead...

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Solid observation. You have to wonder if we might actually be able to run the ball with that line. 

Lost in the hysteria over Sam is the complete absence of a run game while having a likely first ballot HOF running back in our backfield. 

If we could get Bell 100-120 total yards a game we might actually go on a run with the opposition ahead...

I was really happy to see little dump passed to him.

I get pisst when I see Powell getting touches...but yeah bell with just anything on the oline would be tearing it  up