Gase Can't Deal With Stout Pass Rush/Defense

JetsLife

Is it me or is it every time Gase faces a strong pass rush/defense - he has no answer?

It's like Gase runs his favorite plays even if he's facing a good pass rush and/or heavy blitzing; and so folks like Belichick & others have determined all you need do is pressure the pocket and Gase's offense crumbles. I assume I'm over-generalizing, but this does seem like the case more often than not. In short: perhaps Gase can't defeat strong defenses. If that's so and Gase can't adapt, the Jets have no chance of winning a Super Bowl under his tenure.

What sucks is if this happens, likely 1-2 more seasons will go by with Chris Johnson standing by him, as he said Gase "has the trust of his players, Darnold, Joe Douglas, myself ... he's a good man and a good coach."

Hope I'm wrong, but fear I'm right.

Remember when Gase called a delayed WR screen that fooled the defense so bad that there were 3 OL and the receiver vs 1 CB and somehow the CB made the tackle for a loss. That’s Gase’s fault.

Also the draw play that fooled the blitz so badly that the ball carrier had OL around him 5 yards upfield before they had someone to block and then the OL decided to to tackle a CB behind the ball carrier. Also Gase’s fault.

1 hour ago, peebag said:

Mods, please change title of thread to "Jets OL cannot deal with Stout Pass Rush/Defense"

Thanks!

Why? It's  true. Gase has never made an adjustment when a pass rush is coming straight up the middle. He just runs the same plays. I mean has anyone seen anything different from game to game as far as what plays he calls? BB was interviewed about game plans and he said every team has a weakness on D and you attack that weakness and that weakness changes  game to game so the plays you draw up for each team is dictated by that. 

Does anyone think Gase has ever tried to do this?

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Remember when Gase called a delayed WR screen that fooled the defense so bad that there were 3 OL and the receiver vs 1 CB and somehow the CB made the tackle for a loss. That’s Gase’s fault.

Also the draw play that fooled the blitz so badly that the ball carrier had OL around him 5 yards upfield before they had someone to block and then the OL decided to to tackle a CB behind the ball carrier. Also Gase’s fault.

Actually i don't  remember  those at all. What games were they in?

45 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Penalties  are a symptom of poor preperation.  Whose job is it to prepare the team?

Tackling a guy and holding onto his leg as a lineman is poor preparation? That was the dumbest penalty I've seen from our team all year. The dude is a pro NFL player. If I was a coach, I wouldn't think to mention that because they should already know that. There is poor coaching but this is not a good example of that by any means. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Penalties  are a symptom of poor preperation.  Whose job is it to prepare the team?

Pre-snap penalties and alignment penalties, I agree with your claim. The rest is execution which is up to the players. I don’t think Gase is blameless but I also think the talent on this team and the held over culture from the prior regimes are more at fault than anything else. If Darnold finishes the year strong and we end the season 2-2 over the next four games then the team is 2 games better than it was last year with $75 million on IR and a bad roster. 

As was implied above - how much of this is scheme, and how much of this is beating a blitz requires your receivers winning very quickly?  And if the defense gives a cushion, and they complete it quickly short, can the receiver make the only defender miss?  Maybe it's the scheme, but maybe it's also exploiting our lack of talent at the receiver position.

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

nothing to do with the WR waiting and waiting and waiting for the balloon pass to fall from the sky.

58 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Pre-snap penalties and alignment penalties, I agree with your claim. The rest is execution which is up to the players. I don’t think Gase is blameless but I also think the talent on this team and the held over culture from the prior regimes are more at fault than anything else. If Darnold finishes the year strong and we end the season 2-2 over the next four games then the team is 2 games better than it was last year with $75 million on IR and a bad roster. 

Wow!  2 games better than a sh*tty team that quit!  Hoo-ray!  I think it would be reason for mild optimism, but the amount of money on IR is hardly indicative of why this team would be worse than last year.  Is Enunwa getting hurt more damaging now because the idiot gave him $9M per?  Is Neville Hewitt starting somehow worse because he is replacing a $13M LB instead of one earning $2M?  Or Harrison starting worse because Kalil is earning $8M on IR?  Same sh*tty players are on the field.  Trumaine Johnson was benched.  Is the fact he is on the IR really detrimental to the team? 

Isn’t it though? Seriously. We had a boat load of penalties before the woeful bengals had their first. Is it not the scheme? Is it not the mentality and discipline of the squad?

Don’t get me wrong, I hear you and know the exact plays you’re talking about but this is a systemic issue. Not a single play where a player blew the game. It’s far too often that the wind seems to blow in the direction of complete degradation of any discipline

I don’t know man. It seems bigger than one play or mistake here or there.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Wow!  2 games better than a sh*tty team that quit!  Hoo-ray!  I think it would be reason for mild optimism, but the amount of money on IR is hardly indicative of why this team would be worse than last year.  Is Enunwa getting hurt more damaging now because the idiot gave him $9M per?  Is Neville Hewitt starting somehow worse because he is replacing a $13M LB instead of one earning $2M?  Or Harrison starting worse because Kalil is earning $8M on IR?  Same sh*tty players are on the field.  Trumaine Johnson was benched.  Is the fact he is on the IR really detrimental to the team? 

I think we’d be better with Mosley and Williamson. I think QE would’ve helped our team a bit if he could’ve stayed healthy. However, my point is that this roster sucks ass. And IR kills any chance of rhythm building as a potential crutch to lean on when the talent is deficient. 
I don’t think there should be blind optimism about anything with this team. But ending up with a better record than last year after a spell that included starting Luke Falk with Beachum, Osemele, Kalil, Winters, Shell as his OL would be far from the most troubling thing that’s happened to this franchise.

2 hours ago, Drums said:

Tackling a guy and holding onto his leg as a lineman is poor preparation? That was the dumbest penalty I've seen from our team all year. The dude is a pro NFL player. If I was a coach, I wouldn't think to mention that because they should already know that. There is poor coaching but this is not a good example of that by any means. 

Well, i would say yeah,  he obviously does. 

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

About twenty posts into a thread about a team having trouble facing teams with a “stout defense and pass rush”, everyone has blamed either the HC or the OL as the problem.

Not a single person has even mentioned the starting QB.

Bizzaro World.

I’m not gonna beat up Sam for this week. I’ve beaten him up for other performance but against Cincy he took a beating and managed to not get reckless. Sam with Kalil was definitely a mismatch in terms of football chemistry, Sam and Harrison at least get protections right.

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Why? It's  true. Gase has never made an adjustment when a pass rush is coming straight up the middle. He just runs the same plays. I mean has anyone seen anything different from game to game as far as what plays he calls? BB was interviewed about game plans and he said every team has a weakness on D and you attack that weakness and that weakness changes  game to game so the plays you draw up for each team is dictated by that. 

Does anyone think Gase has ever tried to do this?

No Gase hasn't and neither have the other 31 out of 32 teams do this. Because no coach is BB and no other coach plays to their opponents weaknesses. 

All other coaches in the NFL play to their teams strengths and focus on being a better version of themselves each week. They don't focus on other teams, they focus on being better than their opponents. "Imposing their will" as other coaches say. 

This is where BB is different. He takes whatever you do best and your strengths and eliminates it. Then he attacks you where you're weakest and wins games. 

It's why all his players struggle outside his system and Brady would be bagging groceries without him and he knows it. Guys just do their job and what their told each week. There is no individualism with their team. There's no standout guy, no Prezzzident Adams, it's just a system and BB knows his players strengths and uses them to exploit weaknesses in other teams, that sometimes no other team in the league knows about. 

The Johnson's royally f***ed us out of having his genius and we have gotten the privilege to watch him walk all over us and the division for 20 years because of their pettiness when they bought the team. The real enemy to the Jets isn't BB or Brady, only the owners of our beloved Jets. 

15 hours ago, Reynolds1029 said:

No Gase hasn't and neither have the other 31 out of 32 teams do this. Because no coach is BB and no other coach plays to their opponents weaknesses. 

All other coaches in the NFL play to their teams strengths and focus on being a better version of themselves each week. They don't focus on other teams, they focus on being better than their opponents. "Imposing their will" as other coaches say. 

This is where BB is different. He takes whatever you do best and your strengths and eliminates it. Then he attacks you where you're weakest and wins games. 

It's why all his players struggle outside his system and Brady would be bagging groceries without him and he knows it. Guys just do their job and what their told each week. There is no individualism with their team. There's no standout guy, no Prezzzident Adams, it's just a system and BB knows his players strengths and uses them to exploit weaknesses in other teams, that sometimes no other team in the league knows about. 

The Johnson's royally f***ed us out of having his genius and we have gotten the privilege to watch him walk all over us and the division for 20 years because of their pettiness when they bought the team. The real enemy to the Jets isn't BB or Brady, only the owners of our beloved Jets. 

I agree with some of this. I don't  think BB exploits weakness in the way you are describing. What the Pats O does best is the quick pass to Edleman and White and that is a staple in each game. What I believe they do to exploit is try to get matchups that favor them for these players. They don't  use Edleman as say the Texans use Hopkins because he can't  do what Hopkins does or Jones, or  Evans, he is just not that kind of reciever and for that matter, Hopkins doesn't  do what Edleman does. You don't  see him in the slot catching a pass  after 4 steps and turning it upfield.  What BB does is he gets what his players can do and gets the favorable matchup which allows the players to impose their will and exploit a weakness. To expand on that a bit, a weakness for the Pats to exploit is not neccesarily  a weakness for another team becaise they don't  have players with the same skillset.  

22 hours ago, kdels62 said:

clearly indications of a coach who doesn't know how to design plays.

20 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

About twenty posts into a thread about a team having trouble facing teams with a “stout defense and pass rush”, everyone has blamed either the HC or the OL as the problem.

Not a single person has even mentioned the starting QB.

Bizzaro World.

Might want to reread the post from losmeister. balloon pass

Edited by Snook
balloon pass
  • Haha 1