Leonard Williams,sick of losing, says if Giants don't offer him top-tier money, he'll hit free agency

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

We may never know for sure but I'll throw a couple thoughts out there...

1. Gettleman traded a high 3rd for Leo during a rebuilding season.  That's the kind of move you make when you think you 9-7 team could be 11-5 by adding a talented DT in midseason.  I don't think the Leo acquisition was a short term move in Gettleman's mind and he looks foolish giving up a very valuable (almost 2nd round pick) to rent Leo for 8 weeks during a losing season.

2. Some of the things that a new HC looks at when coming into a situation are the Cap space, contract situations and what players the team is anchored to longer term.  Leo will consume some serious $$$ this offseason (whether he deserves it or not) and a new contract would wed him to the team for at least 3-4 years because he wouldn't be tradeable early in the contract.  Do you think Matt Rhule wants Leo Williams to be the first big FA deal of his tenure with the Giants?  It would almost feel like a Gase-Bell situation....big money tied up in a non-premium position.

3. Whether Leo Williams was the specific reason or not it could simply be that the conversations about Leo between Rhule and Gettleman gave Rhule some insight into Gettleman's thinking and it scared him off.  Just hearing Gettleman's thinking about how to approach FA and the Leo William's situation may have had Rhule saying to himself, "I don't know if I can work with this guy."

city life pizza GIF by Sherchle

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

And here we go!

this doesn't make any sense at all.  I seriously....I mean SERIOUSLY....  think this is just all wrong.  The Giants could not possibly be this blind and stupid.  No way.  As much as I don't like the Giants... just no way they could be that wrong.  Is there?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LockeJET said:

BS Tweet!! Rhule never even interviewed with them. And he wasn't going to have control over the roster anyways. 7 years and 60 million is the reason he never got on the plane to NY. Not cause of the future of Leo

thank you.  That tweet is complete fabrication.  What a jerk-off tweet.  Really.

• Upvote 3

We may never know for sure but I'll throw a couple thoughts out there...

1. Gettleman traded a high 3rd for Leo during a rebuilding season.  That's the kind of move you make when you think you 9-7 team could be 11-5 by adding a talented DT in midseason.  I don't think the Leo acquisition was a short term move in Gettleman's mind and he looks foolish giving up a very valuable (almost 2nd round pick) to rent Leo for 8 weeks during a losing season.

2. Some of the things that a new HC looks at when coming into a situation are the Cap space, contract situations and what players the team is anchored to longer term.  Leo will consume some serious $$$ this offseason (whether he deserves it or not) and a new contract would wed him to the team for at least 3-4 years because he wouldn't be tradeable early in the contract.  Do you think Matt Rhule wants Leo Williams to be the first big FA deal of his tenure with the Giants?  It would almost feel like a Gase-Bell situation....big money tied up in a non-premium position.

3. Whether Leo Williams was the specific reason or not it could simply be that the conversations about Leo between Rhule and Gettleman gave Rhule some insight into Gettleman's thinking and it scared him off.  Just hearing Gettleman's thinking about how to approach FA and the Leo William's situation may have had Rhule saying to himself, "I don't know if I can work with this guy."

don't waste your time assessing the situation.  The tweet is total fabrication.  Panthers didn't let Rhule leave the building.  He was headed to NY.  Made him an offer that was ipossible to refuse.  The Tweet author is a little pissant.  I hope he's a Giants fan who suffers thru Williams for the next 5 years. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

As I said earlier in the thread, Williams had two byes this season due to trade, you need to extrapolate his true pass rush per capita to get to his real impact.

Real impact?

All I know is that the real impact of having drafted Leo at #6 years ago was akin to this for us:

dw-44054947_403.jpg

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Dcat said:

this doesn't make any sense at all.  I seriously....I mean SERIOUSLY....  think this is just all wrong.  The Giants could not possibly be this blind and stupid.  No way.  As much as I don't like the Giants... just no way they could be that wrong.  Is there?

Yes. The Judge hire proves they can be that wrong.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

BAP works as long as positional importance is taken into account.  Which of course seemed to always be a mystery to Macc.  

I wish I had the time or ESPN Insider account to put together a comparison between all the guys Macc drafted and who was the BAP on Mel Kiper's big board at the time of each pick.

I think Macc's first rounds would align exactly (seems that how he picked in the first) and Mel by a mile in rounds 2-7.