Leonard Williams,sick of losing, says if Giants don't offer him top-tier money, he'll hit free agency

On 12/9/2019 at 10:13 AM, KRL said:

Hysterical article on multiple fronts.  First, Williams acting like he's going to be 
a free agent in high demand.  Second, that the NYG are over a barrel and will probably
have to give him anything he wants or they'll look even dumber for the trade they
made

the "trade" was just a trade of dollars for a draft pick.  LEO was just the conduit.  in reality he was traded for a 5th round pick that can become a 4th rounder.  

• WTF? 3

On 12/9/2019 at 11:09 AM, Warfish said:

JMO, but bad look talking about money, how much you're worth, free agency and more during a sackless losing season in mid-season.

The off-season will be here soon enough, say all this then.

In fairness, due to the trade, he had 2 bye weeks.  So, if you extrapolate his sacks over a full 16 game season...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/9/2019 at 8:32 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

If Macc wanted to trade Leo, he should have done so this past offseason.  Waiting until the trade deadline should not have even been an option.

Just another instance where Macc had no plan.  

Plan?!?!?

I guarantee you the guy giggled every day that he even had the job and paycheck that goes with it.  And it actually lasted 5 Drafts haha.  Now we all know he was about to be fired as a Scout in Houston when the guy he used to hold his belt loop, Casserly, sold the least intelligent Owner in the league, on him, to up him to GM.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

the "trade" was just a trade of dollars for a draft pick.  LEO was just the conduit.  in reality he was traded for a 5th round pick that can become a 4th rounder.  

Well, they traded what could be the #2 pick in the 3rd round for a comp pick, which would be, at best, #33 in the 3rd round.

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Well, they traded what could be the #2 pick in the 3rd round for a comp pick, which would be, at best, #33 in the 3rd round.

This.

Also, if the Jets sign some high-priced FAs this coming offseason my understanding is that could negate some of the Jets comp picks.  In other words, they may not have gotten a high comp pick if they lost Leo after this year as a free agent and signed other FAs.

This was a very good trade, made better by the Giants continuing to lose.  The Jets likely have 4 picks in the Top 75 of the upcoming Draft and could find a way to get one or two more by trading down from say #9 to #15....while still getting an excellent WR, the best Center in the Draft or one of the Top 4 OTs.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Also, if the Jets sign some high-priced FAs this coming offseason my understanding is that could negate some of the Jets comp picks.

If the Jets signed *any* FAs on expired contracts (as opposed to those that had been cut), they would potentially not get the comp pick for Leo.  The first step is just comparing the number of qualified signings and losses - independent of their value.  If you've signed as many or more, you don't get any comp picks.  Period.  So if the plan was to get a comp pick for Leo, you'd have to be extremely careful, and probably limit what you could do in free agency (and resigning our own expiring contract FAs).

Also, people should keep in mind that we get the 5th if not the 4th.  So if he doesn't sign, we still get a 5th in 2021.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This.

Also, if the Jets sign some high-priced FAs this coming offseason my understanding is that could negate some of the Jets comp picks.  In other words, they may not have gotten a high comp pick if they lost Leo after this year as a free agent and signed other FAs.

This was a very good trade, made better by the Giants continuing to lose.  The Jets likely have 4 picks in the Top 75 of the upcoming Draft and could find a way to get one or two more by trading down from say #9 to #15....while still getting an excellent WR, the best Center in the Draft or one of the Top 4 OTs.

You’re right about this. When the trade was made I thought it was pretty fair for both teams, since we paid his ‘19 salary, and they were getting a solid 25 year old run stopper(?) who never misses a game.

The way it’s playing out changes that. As you said, the Giants losing every game since, and now Leo saying he wants top dollar, has not only made it a great deal for us, but also put the Giants in a weak negotiating position since they couldn’t get a deal done in season and will have to over pay to validate their end of the trade.

• Upvote 1

On 12/9/2019 at 8:35 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Joe Douglas >>> Dave Gettleman

Without even having to make as many moves

This one trade proves it.  Especially if he lets Leo walk.  Imagine if the Jets pick a stud or two with the picks.  Actually don't even need studs, just contributors if Leo walks

Is Vic Beasley playing on his 5th year option this year or have Falcons extended him? 

I remember him being the pass rush option some were yelling for over Leo that year. Even In hindsight, its a little hard to argue that Leo was a horrible pick that year, given Beasley never developed  into a stud, although has more impact that Leo.  Its the Q Will (over Allen) pick that is going to drive me insane for years, driven by the insanity of repeating the same mistake we were getting rid of this year 

1 minute ago, MichaelScott said:

Is Vic Beasley playing on his 5th year option this year or have Falcons extended him? 

I remember him being the pass rush option some were yelling for over Leo that year. Even In hindsight, its a little hard to argue that Leo was a horrible pick that year, given Beasley never developed  into a stud, although has more impact that Leo.  Its the Q Will (over Allen) pick that is going to drive me insane for years, driven by the insanity of repeating the same mistake we were getting rid of this year 

He stinks

7 hours ago, thshadow said:

If the Jets signed *any* FAs on expired contracts (as opposed to those that had been cut), they would potentially not get the comp pick for Leo.  The first step is just comparing the number of qualified signings and losses - independent of their value.  If you've signed as many or more, you don't get any comp picks.  Period.  So if the plan was to get a comp pick for Leo, you'd have to be extremely careful, and probably limit what you could do in free agency (and resigning our own expiring contract FAs).

Also, people should keep in mind that we get the 5th if not the 4th.  So if he doesn't sign, we still get a 5th in 2021.

Even if it stays a 5th and not a 4th I'm starting to objectively feel like this was highway robbery.  The #66 overall (3rd round, Pick 2) and a 5th for a guy who has 0 sacks this year and was going to walk away for nothing from a 5-win team?  The almost never pull off deals this well.

• Upvote 1

The Giants essentially paid the difference between a top 5 third rounder in next years draft vs a comp pick at the end of the third round the following year.  You can think of the extra fourth or fifth as the price we pay to eat his contract.

Still that’s  like moving up 60 spots in the draft, and is significant value added.  That’s like trading a fifth round pick for a third round pick in value.

Its not worth it if the player was a great talent that you lose...  but I don’t think LW was that level of player.  He’s a good but not great starter with upside.

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, southparkcpa said:

I dont believe that tweet do you????  a second rate DL being the deal breaker?

We may never know for sure but I'll throw a couple thoughts out there...

1. Gettleman traded a high 3rd for Leo during a rebuilding season.  That's the kind of move you make when you think you 9-7 team could be 11-5 by adding a talented DT in midseason.  I don't think the Leo acquisition was a short term move in Gettleman's mind and he looks foolish giving up a very valuable (almost 2nd round pick) to rent Leo for 8 weeks during a losing season.

2. Some of the things that a new HC looks at when coming into a situation are the Cap space, contract situations and what players the team is anchored to longer term.  Leo will consume some serious $$$ this offseason (whether he deserves it or not) and a new contract would wed him to the team for at least 3-4 years because he wouldn't be tradeable early in the contract.  Do you think Matt Rhule wants Leo Williams to be the first big FA deal of his tenure with the Giants?  It would almost feel like a Gase-Bell situation....big money tied up in a non-premium position.

3. Whether Leo Williams was the specific reason or not it could simply be that the conversations about Leo between Rhule and Gettleman gave Rhule some insight into Gettleman's thinking and it scared him off.  Just hearing Gettleman's thinking about how to approach FA and the Leo William's situation may have had Rhule saying to himself, "I don't know if I can work with this guy."

• Upvote 2