Breaking News Jaguars Fire EVP Tom Coughlin

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jags beat guy on the FAN just now said that Coughlin tried to fine Fournette a full game check for a game in which Fournette was in street clothes because Fournette wasn’t engaged with what was happening on the field.

Fournette hasn't missed a game all year and has pretty much played every snap this year.

Seems odd to bring this up a year, or more, after it happened as a reason for the firing.

Coughlin got fired for one reason, the jags suck and are worse now, as a franchise,  then they were when he took over. 

This firing is well deserved. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Too bad this happened, I am sure it has every thing to do with jax leading the league by a wide margin in fine appeals.

The reason it is too bad it happened is the concept is a sound one.  Hire a long time knowledge guy in the league to run the football part of the team for the owner.

Owners are about as smart as the average fan.  Or much less so if you are the jets owner.

Coughlin did not inherit a team with a good record but they had good young talent and it showed in year 1 of his tenure when they won 10 games. Since then things have gotten worse and now they aren't even a talented young team. 

Nick Foles? Giving that much money to the modern version of Jeff Hostetler was nail in the coffin. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Larz said:

So the NFL players union warmed players not to sign with the jags because of excessive grievances so khan dumped him

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jacksonville Jaguarsowner Shad Khan fired executive vice president of football operations Tom Coughlin on Wednesday, two days after the NFL Players Association warned players of potentially signing with the franchise because of excessive fines and player grievances.

Khan said he initially decided to make the move once the season ended, but the letter the NFLPA sent to its players clearly accelerated his timetable.

SIGN

THIS

BEAST

• Thumb Down 1

Jaguars  are scapegoating Coughlin based on the report this week that 75% of all player grievances are about the Jaguars organization. Thus, sending the signal that players may not want to sign there.

This sends the message that it was Coughlin (it may very well have been) and they have ridded the culprit.

And no, he should not be hired by the Jets. Not with his methods in this day and age.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Jaguars  are scapegoating Coughlin based on the report this week that 75% of all player grievances are about the Jaguars organization. Thus, sending the signal that players may not want to sign there.

This sends the message that it was Coughlin (it may very well have been) and they have ridded the culprit.

And no, he should not be hired by the Jets. Not with his methods in this day and age.

Yep. Whatever went on behind the scenes, this was an easy layup PR move especially because he wasn't going to hold the position 2 weeks from now anyway.

The only thing that has worse optics than the NFLPA saying the Jags suck would be the Jags' owner not scapegoating a known hardass to say, "It wasn't me or the whole organization. It was just this guy. I've now rightly fired him so we're good again. Sign with us, we have no state income tax."

I'm quite sure Coughlin understands, and it's doubtful it even annoys to him to get fired for this 2 weeks before he was retiring anyway. Probably much to his delight, it labels him as an old-school hard ass and, along with his superbowl rings, he gets a last thing to brag about at Shady Acres. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yep. Whatever went on behind the scenes, this was an easy layup PR move especially because he wasn't going to hold the position 2 weeks from now anyway.

The only thing that has worse optics than the NFLPA saying the Jags suck would be the Jags' owner not scapegoating a known hardass to say, "It wasn't me or the whole organization. It was just this guy. I've now rightly fired him so we're good again. Sign with us, we have no state income tax."

I'm quite sure Coughlin understands, and it's doubtful it even annoys to him to get fired for this 2 weeks before he was retiring anyway. Probably much to his delight, it labels him as an old-school hard ass and, along with his superbowl rings, he gets a last thing to brag about at Shady Acres. 

They may have even given a small golden parachute.

Coughlin was probably the one suggesting his firing to the org.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

If he is going to retire why would they fire him two weeks before the season ends? I didn’t realize he was considered a mistake down there. 

Perhaps the great Tom Coughlin is having second thoughts about retiring? He's like Jim Boeheim....still going like the Energizer bunny. 

12 hours ago, Larz said:

So the NFL players union warmed players not to sign with the jags because of excessive grievances so khan dumped him

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jacksonville Jaguarsowner Shad Khan fired executive vice president of football operations Tom Coughlin on Wednesday, two days after the NFL Players Association warned players of potentially signing with the franchise because of excessive fines and player grievances.

Khan said he initially decided to make the move once the season ended, but the letter the NFLPA sent to its players clearly accelerated his timetable.

Jets better watch out...

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I agree this is Coughlin getting the blame for a bad season and player discontent because they are asked to go to meetings

Ofcourse Coughlin is still a good GM he drafted Allen and Minshew last offseason 

• Upvote 1

On 12/18/2019 at 8:40 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Fournette hasn't missed a game all year and has pretty much played every snap this year.

Seems odd to bring this up a year, or more, after it happened as a reason for the firing.

Coughlin got fired for one reason, the jags suck and are worse now, as a franchise,  then they were when he took over. 

This firing is well deserved. 

seems pretty good evaluation and probably smart move. you should be judged on what you produce in the NFL. THye took a shot on a guy that the game passed but he had the resume and it was a good gamble. Some times you come up short. Gase is even worse and had an even worse resume. We should follow suit and fire our crap too.

• Upvote 1

On 12/18/2019 at 10:56 PM, Bleedin Green said:

It definitely seemed pretty messed up to fire him a few weeks before his retirement, but I've got to admit, having the NFLPA actively discourage players from signing there is really as bad as it can possibly get, so tough to blame them for making this move, assuming of course Coughlin was the one responsible for the grievances, and not simply a fall guy.

Marrone’s no slouch in the hard ass department, either. I could see he and Coughlin playing the Stanford prison experiment game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Perhaps the great Tom Coughlin is having second thoughts about retiring? He's like Jim Boeheim....still going like the Energizer bunny. 

sniffles...    ahh, when the big east was relevant....      those were heady times...  was in cuse visiting my gfriend when keith smart happened and downtown was a semi riot.

On 12/18/2019 at 8:34 PM, jetstream23 said:

If he is going to retire why would they fire him two weeks before the season ends? I didn’t realize he was considered a mistake down there. 

Apparently the NFLPA warned prospective free agents about the Jag's/TC's propensity to fine players - 25% of all fines levied in the league are by the Jags - and the ownership was afraid of losing out on free agents in the upcoming year.

Can't say I blame the players or their agents. TC was a good football mind, but over the top when it came to player discipline. 

And no, I don't want him here.

• Thumb Down 1

57 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

Apparently the NFLPA warned prospective free agents about the Jag's/TC's propensity to fine players - 25% of all fines levied in the league are by the Jags - and the ownership was afraid of losing out on free agents in the upcoming year.

Can't say I blame the players or their agents. TC was a good football mind, but over the top when it came to player discipline. 

he had his time, his run...    now...  just go

On 12/20/2019 at 9:10 AM, Bungaman said:

Why?  Because the jets would stop being a dysfunctional sh tshow

On 12/19/2019 at 11:42 AM, Philc1 said:

Wah! Tom Coughlin makes us arrive early wah!

Good morning Philc normally you are spot on with your replies and outlook and I agree with you often than not but this one I respectfully disagree. Setting the clocks ahead 5 minutes to me is a bit petty. If Coughlin call a meeting at 8:00 and I arrive at  7:59 but I get  fined because I didn’t arrive 5 minutes early to me is childishness. If he wants me there at 7:55 then tell me that. If I arrive at 7:56 then he would be well within his rights to fine and punish as be  sees fit. I am all for discipline and being held accountable for my actions but this to me is all about control and serves no purpose. I really didn’t think he was all that. As we know he has two rings did a nice job in Jacksonville his first go round  but to me he doesn’t really reach the plateau of the reverence he gets. A few notches above being a mediocre coach 

170- 150 overall record 

12-7 playoff record