Jets CEO Christopher Johnson opens up: HIs biggest regret

joewilly12

Jets CEO Christopher Johnson opens up: His biggest regret

December 29, 2019 | 8:56pm

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — “Wistful.’’

That’s the word Jets chairman and CEO Christopher Johnson — in an exclusive interview with The Post on Sunday — used to describe his emotions after his team closed out the season with a 13-6 win over the Bills at New Era Field.

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines “wistful’’ as “showing a feeling of vague or regretful longing … full of yearning or desire tinged with melancholy.’’

These words perfectly defined Johnson’s emotions as his team finished the season with six wins in its final eight games to finish 7-9.

There’s regret about the 1-7 start that wrecked the team’s playoff hopes before Thanksgiving.

There’s yearning and desire for more football after the 6-2 record in the second half of the season raised optimism.

And there’s melancholy because, after all these months of work, there’s no more football to be played — just when it felt like the team was hitting its stride.

“I feel pretty good right now, but this is not where I want to be,’’ Johnson said after he’d just worked the Jets locker room and congratulated his players. “It’s a little wistful, because I think we could have been competing for a playoff spot if a couple of things had gone differently for us.

“Look, am I happy here? No,’’ Johnson went on. “But we turned the thing around pretty well and I’m really, really feeling good about [GM] Joe [Douglas] and [coach] Adam [Gase] this offseason. I feel like we’re in a good direction going forward, and I feel good about Joe and Adam working together this offseason. I think they’re going to hit the ground running.’’

Enlarge Imag

If only the Jets had hit the ground running this season instead of blowing that 16-0 lead they had on the Bills in the season opener at home, losing 17-16, and then finding out that their franchise quarterback, Sam Darnold, had mononucleosis, which would force him to miss the next three games.

Suddenly, 0-4 became 1-7 and irate Jets fans were calling for Gase to be fired before completing his first season with the team.

Then came Wednesday, Nov. 6. That’s when Johnson pushed perhaps the most important button he’s pushed since he took control of the team, telling the players that Gase wasn’t going anywhere.

The Jets would win their next three games en route to the 6-2 finish.

“I don’t give myself any credit,’’ Johnson said, uncomfortable at the mere thought that his talk with the team had anything to do with the team’s turnaround. “It’s all about the team.’’

Sure it is.

But facts are facts and it’s no coincidence that, since Johnson delivered that Gase vote of confidence, the Jets season stabilized. image.gif.1501c97705a508bfd77da70c35428cd6.gif

“I primarily wanted the players to know that I had complete confidence in the coach and the coaching staff, because all that outside noise can work its way into the locker room,’’ Johnson said. “And the players stayed so tight, they stayed so good with each other. They never lost faith, and I think you saw that going forward. I wanted them to know, from me, that that was solid.’’

A number of Jets players believe that talk by Johnson was a catalytic moment.

“Sometimes it’s good to quiet the variables, quiet the noise outside of the locker room, the rumors and all that type of stuff,’’ linebacker Brandon Copeland told The Post.

“Everyone in the building knows how important stability is,’’ Darnold said. “Christopher coming out and saying that just reassured us that Adam is the right guy for the job. But there was never any doubt in our minds.’’

After the game, there was predictable talk coming from players, buoyed by the second-half surge, about how this can be carried over into the 2020 season. The reality, though, is that rarely occurs. Each season presents its own unique set of circumstances.

image.gif.046159d35c6b7c4a60253850ca1b014e.gif

“I’m proud of the way we finished as a group, but it’s a little bittersweet, because you wish you grew up and meshed together as a team a little bit earlier,’’ linebacker Brandon Copeland said.

“Right now, I’m pretty happy we won the game, but I’m pretty sure next week it’ll be a different taste looking at some of the teams playing in the playoffs that we should have beaten,’’ linebacker Jordan Jenkins said.

“The main goal is to get into the playoffs and it didn’t happen, so this game right here was our start of next season,’’ safety Jamal Adams said. “Obviously, we’re going to be watching the playoffs and we’re going to have a bad taste in our mouth.’’

As the Jets players trudged out of the visitors’ locker room to the team buses for the final time this season, it was clear that Christopher Johnson wasn’t alone in his wistfulness.

image.gif

9 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So I apparently can't read because I don't see where he says what his biggest regret was.

4 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Thank you. I was curious but had no interested in reading that. Now I know it would have been waste of time that I would have regretted reading. 

He was wistful..

Does anyone really expect anything more out of him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I can't read because @joewilly12 continues to paste things in a font so small no one can read it.

SAR I

A rich guy like yourself cant afford reading glasses or laser surgery. 

The cost of a bagel and a coffee. 

Investment Gold.

Chump change. 

joewilly12 

*most articles when you copy and paste off the original won't allow you to change the font size. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Have the Johnson brothers ever taken responsibility for anything that has gone wrong here under their ownership. 

Not once. They have no idea how awful they really are.  among the worst professional sports franchise owners anywhere in any sport.

3 hours ago, MS jets Fan said:

He should of just came out admitted that owning a professional team takes more than having a bankroll and a business background to be a good owner.  I just don't believe that the Johnson's have the passion for being owners in the NFL.  

They lack both the passion and intelligence 

8 minutes ago, DarnoldSchwarzeneggar369 said:

It was in the very first sentence

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Wistful.  That’s the word Jets chairman and CEO Christopher Johnson — in an exclusive interview with The Post on Sunday — used to describe his emotions after his team closed out the season with a 13-6 win over the Bills at New Era Field.

So you tell me what his biggest regret is based on that first sentence.