Brandon Copeland on Cutting Le'Veon Bell

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/30/brandon-copeland-leveon-bell-new-york-jets-rb/

LE'VEON BELL'S TEAMMATE JETS RB IS 'REAL DEAL'... Don't Cut Him!!!

1/30/2020 8:16 AM PT

•  

Cutting Le'Veon Bell would be a HUGE mistake for the Jets ... so says his teammate Brandon Copeland, who tells TMZ Sports the RB is "the real deal!!!"

"He made a lot from nothing this past year," the NY linebacker says.

Bell has been in an awkward situation with his head coach, Adam Gase, ever since the ex-Steelers star inked a monster $52.5 MILLION deal to sign with NY this past off-season.

Gase was reportedly upset over paying an RB that much cash ... and at a press conference at the end of this season, Adam didn't exactly seem stoked about the idea of bringing Bell back in 2020.

All of it has led to trade rumors and even speculation that Bell could be cut this off-season ... but when we got Copeland out in NYC on Wednesday, he said that shouldn't be on the Jets' table at all.

"Everybody's going to talk," Copeland says. "But you keep one of the best running backs in the game right now. He's a good dude. He's working hard."

As for what Brandon's up to this offseason ... the 28-year-old tells us he's still teaching finance classes -- and he even offered up some great cash advice for future NFL rookies!

• Upvote 2

I would be okay with trading him and drafting an RB if that money goes to o-line and/or WR (Robby specifically) but other than that, I wouldn’t look to move on this year. My offseason plan would be to focus on improving the run game by signing our WRs (RA specifically and drafting a WR or two), Beachum(depth), and a targeted FA offensive lineman. And draft pass protectors/run blockers. I think if Sam had some time, the WRs would get open but we had no running game whatsoever. There were times when the WRs were open but Sam was running for his life. I think getting both TEs back will also go a long way because they are Sam’s favorite target. So I am more worried about the run game. 

• Upvote 1

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I think when it is all said and done LBell will be on the team next year. 

After seeking a trade of some sort i dont think JDouglas is going to get any offer of value to send Bell off. He will probably draft the rb of the future to sit and learn from Bell for the 2020 season. He is gone after that.

As far as Brandon Copeland is concerned i dont think he will be back next season.

37 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Theres a huge difference between not being in favor of spending $55 or so mil on a RB and not wanting Bell on your team.  

No matter how many times some keep repeating it. 

Exactly.

Its simply another BS talking point from the anti Gase crowd. Spending 55 mil on a RB is pretty stupid given the state the O-line was in at the time, so Gase was completely correct there. Doesnt mean he hates having Bell here.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Exactly.

Its simply another BS talking point from the anti Gase crowd. Spending 55 mil on a RB is pretty stupid given the state the O-line was in at the time, so Gase was completely correct there. Doesnt mean he hates having Bell here.

Sure if you take out all the times Gase has basically said he doesn't like bell, yeah he likes him alot

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

link?

When has Gase “basically said he doesn’t like Bell?” 
I need links with quotes. 
Thanks 

You can't ask one of the moderators of jetnation tomorrow I'm not in charge posting qoutes with links

31 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Never saw him say that at all.

I'm not in charge of posting qoutes with links.

• WTF? 1

14 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Sure if you take out all the times Gase has basically said he doesn't like bell, yeah he likes him alot

i don't recall gase ever said he dislikes bell.  if anything, and this isn't news, gase didn't want to use that much money on the position and maybe bell doesn't fit the blocking schemes gase wants the oline to use.  but even the whole misuse thing is overblown.  in many of the games where bell didn't do too well the team was behind and couldn't really use the run game.  especially since the run game wasn't able to break tings open.

we'll see what happens this season with a revamped oline.  i suspect bell will be back to where he was with the steelers.  he also may have learned a lesson by choosing to stay away from the optional training camps.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

lol, don't trade Adams.

Good portion of the board is interested in trading Adams, many for less than he's worth just to unload him. 

Don't sign a backup QB to push Sam.

Darnold doesn't need a backup to push him any more than he needs a mentor in that role. He just needs to get better, and the Jets need to add players to help him get there - be it OL, weaponz, or defensive players who get him the ball back. Backup QB is soooooooo far down the list of Jets' needs that it's silly.  

Don't trade or cut Bell.

Cutting Bell creates a hole at RB and costs more against the cap than having him simply play under his existing contract. How does cutting him help the team? 

I'm open to any trade offer for him, but if it's something like a fourth round pick and the Jets have to help buy out the contract, it's really not much better for the team than flat out cutting him. 

I guess we're just a piece away then, since the consensus of late seems to be "do nothing whatsoever, signa  FA or two and draft some EDGE, and we'll be fine".

Yeah, pretty much no one's opinion of the team here. Just one of your trademark exaggerations making an effort to make some sort of point. I guess. In this case, I don't even know what that point might be. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets aren't cutting Bell. He'd cost $3.5M more against the cap in 2020 if they cut him rather than if they just held onto him and let him play. Trading him saves a modest $3.5M (provided they don't have to add cash to the deal). 

The Jets bid against themselves for Bell last year, then followed that up by reducing his value by playing in their crappy offense. Odds are that he's here this season trying to redeem himself and earn the rest of that contract. 

Totally, there's no way they're cutting him. Gase would keep him as backup/3rd-down back before Douglas would do that.

Because Bell's guaranteed so much more cash ($13.5MM), it's either trade him or keep him. But if Gase's objection was Bell's sizable cap space then I think they'll look but they will likely end up keeping him since they probably won't save much. I think they'll try, but 2:1 they just suck it up and cut him after the season (or dump during the season if he's having a repeat of 2019, just so a 2021 guarantee doesn't kick in if he gets injured in Nov/Dec).

Most likely way Bell gets moved is if the Jets offer to eat millions, like paying his $5MM roster bonus and then trading him. That does save $8.5MM, but this year it'd seem like just $4.5MM (the other $4MM cap relief coming in 2021).

Jets' choices and repercussions, in order of likelihood:

1. (50% odds) Keeping him for 1 more full season = $19.5MM in total cap hits remaining. And hope he looks like the player he was. Then decide again a year from now.
  2. (30% odds) Trading him after paying the $5MM roster bonus = $11MM in cap hits remaining. Saves $8.5MM total, plus they'd get a draft pick.
  3. (15% odds) Do nothing in the spring, and then move him to a contender at the trade deadline (if the Jets aren't playoff contenders themselves, with Bell a big part of it). Or if he sucks again and no one wants him, then cut him in Nov so he doesn't get injured again that'd kick in even more guaranteed future cash.
  4. (5% odds) If they can pull off a trade without eating the roster bonus, then it's just the $6MM dead cap hit in 2020 and nothing more. Jets escape $13.5MM in new pay plus any future injury guarantees. Douglas would surely have to give up a pick to get that (e.g. Bell + our 3rd or 4th in exchange for another team's 7th). Based on his Leo trade, he looks like he's paying to get picks, not the other way around.

But how it shakes up depends not just how badly Gase wants to get rid of Bell but how badly someone else wants him (duh).

Gase's reputation risk is if we eat millions of his 2020 new cash, get little cap relief this year, get only a meh draft pick in return for him, and that rookie sucks on his sub-.500 Jets while Bell resurges with his new playoff team... the 42 year-old Gase won't get to cry victim to any GM's moves for the rest of his coaching career. What's more, he'd also quickly lose all respect from the players (current ones and potential future FAs).

He could get fired if it pans out that way. No one will blame Douglas; it'll all fall on Gase's head. Especially because you know every beat writer - one in particular - will pounce to frame it as, "Worst of all, by Gase pushing for the Jets to pay the probowl Bell's roster bonus and then trade him for [name of bust rookie], the RB-needy Jets saved only $4.5MM."

Whereas keeping Bell and worst case he just looks like nothing again? Not Gase's fault; he never wanted Bell.

• Upvote 2

The Jets need to ride it out with Bell in 2020.  Hopefully an improved line will make a big difference in his game.  If it does, great. If it doesn't, then he can be cut after the 2020 season and the Jets will take the cap hit and move on from their mistake at that point.  Trading him now for pennies on the dollar would be a terrible move.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, slimjasi said:

link?

When has Gase “basically said he doesn’t like Bell?” 
I need links with quotes. 
Thanks 

Gase has said nothing personal about Bell, nor does he have to for anyone to realize that Gase feels strongly that the money would be better spent elsewhere.  He is not objecting to Bell as a person or player.  He wishes Bell was gone due to economy.  That means Gase does not like having him on his team and would prefer he was gone.   *That* is what people are expressing when they simplify that by saying "Gase does not like Bell"

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

The Jets need to ride it out with Bell in 2020.  Hopefully an improved line will make a big difference in his game.  If it does, great. If it doesn't, then he can be cut after the 2020 season and the Jets will take the cap hit and move on from their mistake at that point.  Trading him now for pennies on the dollar would be a terrible move.  

Makes zero sense cutting Bell now

Ugh my God Gase f ckin sucks so much dik

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Totally, there's no way they're cutting him. Gase would keep him as backup/3rd-down back before Douglas would do that.

Because Bell's guaranteed so much more cash ($13.5MM), it's either trade him or keep him. But if Gase's objection was Bell's sizable cap space then I think they'll look but they will likely end up keeping him since they probably won't save much. I think they'll try, but 2:1 they just suck it up and cut him after the season (or dump during the season if he's having a repeat of 2019, just so a 2021 guarantee doesn't kick in if he gets injured in Nov/Dec).

Most likely way Bell gets moved is if the Jets offer to eat millions, like paying his $5MM roster bonus and then trading him. That does save $8.5MM, but this year it'd seem like just $4.5MM (the other $4MM cap relief coming in 2021).

I think Gase is going to try to trade Bell for peanuts

2 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Because he was an idiot?

Gase was bitching about Bell last summer like crazy 

I’m not even a person who initially supported signing Bell but trading him now for a 7th when we might be getting an OL makes no sense but Gase is the toxic clown it has to be his way 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I think Gase is going to try to trade Bell for peanuts

His goal is to clear cap room, not to get Bell off his offense no matter what. If recouping more than a nominal amount of cap room isn't part of the deal, then I doubt it. There would have to be a bad personal issue between the two for that to happen, and there's no evidence of that being the case.

He didn't want to spend a lot of money on Bell. Bell knows it. That's different than, "I hate Bell. Keep that f***er away from me. Get him off my team and I don't care if we only recoup negligible cap space and pick(s)."

If that was the situation he'd have just benched/demoted Bell last year. 

• Upvote 1

Only Crazy folks were out here demeaning a HOF talent because his HC couldn't figure out a way to use him!

We can all hope that Gase will prove to be an outstanding HC ----- Bell has already shown what he can do...

Lost a step -- trade him for a bag of potato chips and so on

Good Grief! 

19 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Exactly.

Anti Gase crowd? lol who are these fools who are not sold on Gase and his long record of no success?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

Good portion of the board is interested in trading Adams, many for less than he's worth just to unload him. 

No one wants to "just unload him".  That's a straw man argument.

4 hours ago, slats said:

Darnold doesn't need a backup to push him any more than he needs a mentor in that role. He just needs to get better

The best way to make someone give their all to get better is competition, even if pro forma.

4 hours ago, slats said:

and the Jets need to add players to help him get there - be it OL, weaponz, or defensive players who get him the ball back.

If getting the ball back is the priority, you definitely don't pay Adams.  You pay CB's and better pass-defensive safeties.

4 hours ago, slats said:

Backup QB is soooooooo far down the list of Jets' needs that it's silly.  

Except we have to have one and all.  So yeah.

4 hours ago, slats said:

Cutting Bell creates a hole at RB and costs more against the cap than having him simply play under his existing contract. How does cutting him help the team?

Gase seems unable or unwilling to use Bell correctly or effectively.  Trading him and signing a RB better suited to fit Gase's system (lol) could help Sam and the Offense perform better.

When you are the 32nd ranked Offense, every single piece should be evaluated critically.  No one on this offense is good enough to get a free ride.

4 hours ago, slats said:

I'm open to any trade offer for him, but if it's something like a fourth round pick and the Jets have to help buy out the contract, it's really not much better for the team than flat out cutting him.

Perhaps.  All would depend on the deal, agreed.

4 hours ago, slats said:

Yeah, pretty much no one's opinion of the team here. Just one of your trademark exaggerations making an effort to make some sort of point. I guess. In this case, I don't even know what that point might be. 

Yes, it was hyperbole.

My point is we have alot of opinions here at JN that, removing the word vomit, boil down to "change nothing, sign an O-linemen, draft an O-lineman and a WR, resign Robby, extend Adams, and we're great!".

I.e. do almost nothing to improve the team outside the draft and maybe a FA lineman.  Not good enough in my book.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

So you just make stuff up.  Cool, now we all know. 

you probably missed it but that was me quoting gase in regards to bell word for word from his last Press Conference. But I answered their question about prove gase doesn't want bell. Its not surprising you didn't put that together since you didn't watch the press conference or otherwise pay attention to anything gase has done that shows he obviously doesn't want bell.

It was especially good since the reporter asked the same question twice and then the two previous posters did the same thing so I literally said what gase did about bell but in regards to them asking me to prove it. Since it gave the impression that I didn't want to - people like you got mad in same way smart people like me are mad at gase for not wanting bell. Proving my point  with Gases own words lol.

Don't worry about it, its not that complicated, it's just sad that you can't appreciate it because of your own lack of awareness.

The vast majority of jets fans got it,