Costello's comments from former Gase players-Counter Mehta

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

If you think Gase is Kyle Shanahan I have some Enron stock to sell you

Btw Kyle’s dad was one of the greatest NFL head coaches ever

I didn't say that he was.  What I said is that, up until this year, when everything finally broke right for him and the team stayed healthy, he was viewed in similar fashion.  If you want to pretend that he wasn't, be my guest.  However, that would be revisionist history.

Marty Schottenheimer was a great coach too, how'd that work out for Brian?

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

So perhaps it's not his "mind", it's just his execution the past four years that's poor?

Or could it be that hes never really worked with a full roster, especially at QB, as a HC?

The "you are what your record says you are" line is used often.  Other than it would really put pre Brady Belichich, pre healthy Shanahan, etc out with the trash.  

Maybe we should give Gase more than one year with a talent poor, injury riddled Jets team more than one season, as the article says?  

I mean how about Parcells other quote?  Last season has nothing to do with the next, each year is a new year?

9 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Kyle Shanahan is everything Gase wishes he was.

I would say that most NFL coaches on 2/2020 would fail matched up with Shanahan perception wise.

Just as many as those who didnt want to be everything Shanahan was a year earlier.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yes!  Let’s put Sam Darnold in his 3rd offensive system in 3 years and sign Tim Tebow!  Worked wonders for Mark Sanchez!

SAR I

This is always the weakest argument anyone can make.  it makes no sense.

So, you would rather hold off for two more years just to start a new offense then?Gase isn’t the guy, he was a bad hire - it’s obvious - let’s not throw good money after bad.

Why waste two years of something that is inevitable, just have to lick our wounds and move on to a competent offensive coaching staff.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve never seen journalists dunk on another writer as much or as joyously as they all did when Mehta was exposed as Gase’s burner account. The only things I’ve ever seen that were comparable was the professional hate for Skip Bayless when he implied Troy Aikman was gay, and for Chris Cilizza, who is the Stephen A Smith of political journalism

I think that was just wishful thinking on Skip's part.

• Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

So perhaps it's not his "mind", it's just his execution the past four years that's poor?

After a time, you are what your record says you are.  Four years as Head Coach, four bottom-of-the-league finishes on Offense, one a dead last finish (us).

At what point is a supposedly "brilliant offensive mind",  who always finished towards the bottom in offense,  a failure at execution then?

How “powerful” do you expect Gase’s Offense to be with 

1.  1 of the 3 WORST OL’s in the NFL HISTORY.  “50+ Sacks...RBs < 3.5 yds a carry.

2. WRs who virtually never get separation.

3.  No running game because of that OL and a QB who rarely gets 2 seconds in the pocket?

You take out the Luke Falk stats out...the Jet O is probably about where it should have been statistically.  There were many consecutive weeks of scoring TDs on Opening Drives where Darnold hit 90% of his passes in total on those drives.  Something we haven’t seen before in I don’t know how long.  You had way more 30+ games generated by Darnold, which were never seen over Bowles 4 years.

It’s a serious lack of personnel issue right now, with OL being #1.

Try to reserve judgement on Gase and Darnold until AFTER this coming season, because hopefully Douglas will bring home some REAL NFL PLAYERS for both.

13 hours ago, David Harris said:

There are things I like about Gase but then there are the results...

but I am still very open to him doing well here.  It was the worst offensive roster I’ve ever seen. Get some decent players here and we’ll see.

Can you give some examples because I don't see any... All the "qualities" that he was hyped to have have not produced any meaningful results. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

Can you give some examples because I don't see any... All the "qualities" that he was hyped to have have not produced any meaningful results. 

Read this:

Time to Fire Lynch + Shanahan?

By Bob_Stoops on Sep 28, 2018, 11:11am PDT

The 49ers have re-entered the 2005 season where they have a new quarterback and the team appears to be going nowhere for the foreseeable future. The 49ers team is terrible, and given the teams poor performance against a mediocre Vikings team, and a game they should have lost against the Lions, it is unlikely a healthy Jimmy G would have taken this team to the playoffs. There are 2 primary culprits IMO for this latest debacle, Lynch and Shanahan.

Based on the team's poor level of play, horrible draft picks and free agent signings, I think the Lynch + Shanahan experiment needs to have the plug pulled on it. I do not see the defensive secondary, the running game, the defensive line (and perhaps the offensive line), significantly improving any time soon. As a result, the 49ers are back in 2005 where they are going nowhere for the foreseeable future real fast.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/9/28/17914456/time-to-fire-lynch-shanahan

LOLOLOLOLOL.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

Will the 49ers Fire Kyle Shanahan?

b18cb15f96ed7b3ec47b96bf2cbd5027?s=46&d=

Robert Knight

November 30, 2018

As this turbulent season reaches its descent, the 49ers have done little to assure that Kyle Shanahan can turn this team’s fortunes. Some in the media are claiming that Shanahan has less then a 50 percent chance of sticking around.

Jimmy Garoppolo’s late season surge should not have changed that perception, but here we are.

That doesn’t mean the loss of their franchise quarterback should be ignored, nor should the other injuries. Losing Jerick McKinnon, the focus of Shanahan’s offense going into the season, was devastating. Throw in the six other players on IR and those who have struggled with injury all season and you have a tragedy that would cripple any head coach.

So, if you’re telling me Kyle Shanahan has a 56 percent chance of getting fired at season’s end, than I’m taking that bet.

https://total49ers.com/will-the-49ers-fire-kyle-shanahan/

LOLOLOLOL

SAR I

All due respect to all of the resident Jet Nation geniuses, Adam Gase EARNED the opportunity to coach this team in 2020. Most posters predicted approximately 7-9 would be the Jets record in 2019. However, I don't believe anyone could have expected 7-9 with 22 players ending their seasons on IR. Actually, what Gase managed to do was due in large part for three reasons:

1) A very easy second half schedule

2) Gase coached the team well. The offense of all things actually played well at times.

3) Nice in season additions to the team by Joe Douglas.I

Adam Gase and his contributions cannot simply be explained away. He did a nice job with a team in complete upheaval from their opening day kickoff.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This is always the weakest argument anyone can make.  it makes no sense.

So, you would rather hold off for two more years just to start a new offense then?Gase isn’t the guy, he was a bad hire - it’s obvious - let’s not throw good money after bad.

Why waste two years of something that is inevitable, just have to lick our wounds and move on to a competent offensive coaching staff.

There is something to be said for teams that stay the course with a regime-  even through some tough times-  because they believe in their original hiring decision and show a little patience.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Giving a 22 year old kid quarterback some consistency is a good thing. 

And stop already, Gase wasn't a bad hire.  In fact, he showed the most important element in a head coach here in his first year-  he held the team together and corrected that awful Jets culture in one season.  6-2 finish is a big deal, the fact that no coaches were let go is a big deal, the fact that no coaches are trying to leave is a big deal. 

Hating Gase at this point is foolish.  If he could go 7-5 with healthy Darnold and 6-2 down the stretch with a beat up team already bereft of talent, imagine what is possible in Year 2 with some Joe Douglas magic and Darnold not needing to learn another playbook.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

All due respect to all of the resident Jet Nation geniuses, Adam Gase EARNED the opportunity to coach this team in 2020

Damn right.

41 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

1) A very easy second half schedule

How so?  Half the schedule was against playoff caliber teams (Raiders, Steelers, Ravens, Bills).  And every one of those 8 teams put a better roster on the field the day we played them.  These weren't the August Jets.  The December Jets were an XFL caliber roster.

43 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

2) Gase coached the team well. The offense of all things actually played well at times.

Definitely.  And the offense was more beat up the last 8 games than they were in the first 8.  We got Darnold back, but TE, OL, and WR all took steps back as the year went on.

44 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

3) Nice in season additions to the team by Joe Douglas.

We found a kicker, that was half the battle.  Joe D is going to be good.

44 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Adam Gase and his contributions cannot simply be explained away. He did a nice job with a team in complete upheaval from their opening day kickoff.

This.  1000 times, this.

SAR I

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

How “powerful” do you expect Gase’s Offense to be with 

1.  1 of the 3 WORST OL’s in the NFL HISTORY.  “50+ Sacks...RBs < 3.5 yds a carry.

2. WRs who virtually never get separation.

3.  No running game because of that OL and a QB who rarely gets 2 seconds in the pocket?

You take out the Luke Falk stats out...the Jet O is probably about where it should have been statistically.  There were many consecutive weeks of scoring TDs on Opening Drives where Darnold hit 90% of his passes in total on those drives.  Something we haven’t seen before in I don’t know how long.  You had way more 30+ games generated by Darnold, which were never seen over Bowles 4 years.

It’s a serious lack of personnel issue right now, with OL being #1.

Try to reserve judgement on Gase and Darnold until AFTER this coming season, because hopefully Douglas will bring home some REAL NFL PLAYERS for both.

Not dead last in the league when you are an offensive guru.

Not dead last in the league when your DC has just as much of a handicap talent and injury wise and cobbles together a middle of the pack defense.

Also the old Luke falk excuse.

Gase brought in Falk, he was his guy.  In one game Gase gave falk no #1 reps then found out Darnold was not ready to go yet.

Gase is terrible and it will be funny to see his supporters rejoice and yell 'progress!' next year when we have the 25th ranked offense rather than dead last.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Nobody expected him to win a Super Bowl but how about not producing the worst offense in the league?

or delivering the 24th, 25th, 31st and 32nd offense in the league.....progressively getting worse.

The guy isn’t a good coach...

Next year he will own the 31 ranked offense and the fraud lover here will be demanding four  more years, just as these same fans were hypnotized by Bowles. I

Imagine, if that loser lasted 4 freaking years here and the team got worse every year.  In the fraud case you can’t go lower than 32nd.  

In fact one fan here was so hypnotized by Bowles that he actually believed in his heart that he did a great job in TB “under the circumstances” and that it was matter of time before he take over the Redskins.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Not dead last in the league when you are an offensive guru.

Not dead last in the league when your DC has just as much of a handicap talent and injury wise and cobbles together a middle of the pack defense.

Run the numbers for the last 8 games. Thanks!

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

How so?  Half the schedule was against playoff caliber teams (Raiders, Steelers, Ravens, Bills).  And every one of those 8 teams put a better roster on the field the day we played them.  These weren't the August Jets.  The December Jets were an XFL caliber roster.

Redskins, Giants, and Bengals were all extremely BAD teams. Raiders and Steelers did not play as well in the second half of the season so they were already trending downward when the Jets faced them. Pittsburgh in particular was missing their starting QB. That team was garbage down the stretch. Ravens smoked us and the Bills had nothing to play for. Stop bending the facts to make them look slightly more flattering. The Jets are still garbage and still have probably the most talent lacking roster In the league today.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jetsons said:

He’s very relatable with his players. I like how he communicates with players and the media.  He shuts out the noise and buried himself in the complex. He’s all ball all the time. Nick Saban speaks highly of him as does Peyton Manning. Some of his former players have spoken highly and said he’s a “genius”. He held. 1-7 team together and win 6/7 games afterwards.

not defending him. You asked is all. That’s what I like about him.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Redskins, Giants, and Bengals were all extremely BAD teams. Raiders and Steelers did not play as well in the second half of the season so they were already trending downward when the Jets faced them. Pittsburgh in particular was missing their starting QB. That team was garbage down the stretch. Ravens smoked us and the Bills had nothing to play for. Stop bending the facts to make them look slightly more flattering. The Jets are still garbage and still have probably the most talent lacking roster In the league today.

billsscrubs.jpg

You mean like the scrubs the Bills played for 9 of their first 11 games?  Let me know when they give their wildcard back.  Wait.....how about the Ravens?

ravens.jpg

The Ravens had of 11 of 16 games against absolute garbage, you know, the Bengals, Browns, and Steelers 2x each.  Let me know when they give their #1 seed back.

The Jets played the schedule they were given.  But keep on hating the Jets, that's cool.  When we win the division next year, I'll remember.  Your name is on the haters list; you don't get to celebrate.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, SAR I said:

billsscrubs.jpg

You mean like the scrubs the Bills played for 9 of their first 11 games?  Let me know when they give their wildcard back.  Wait.....how about the Ravens?

ravens.jpg

The Ravens had of 11 of 16 games against absolute garbage, you know, the Bengals, Browns, and Steelers 2x each.  Let me know when they give their #1 seed back.

The Jets played the schedule they were given.  But keep on hating the Jets, that's cool.  When we win the division next year, I'll remember.  Your name is on the haters list; you don't get to celebrate.

SAR I

Are you on crack? I don't hate the Jets. I'm simply a realist. This team SUCKS. Most of the players that started for the NYJ in 2019 would never start for other NFL teams. Hell, the OL is so bad there isn't a single player that's worthy of being a starter. They finished with a LOSING RECORD. I'll bet you ANY amount of money right now that the Jets do not win the division in 2020. They've got a LONG way to go.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Run the numbers for the last 8 games. Thanks!

SAR I

The jets would probably win the super bowl if we could pick and choose which 8 games to count in the standings.  The jets offense was at the bottom or near the bottom all year long.

IF this team and Gase was as wondrous as you say they are you would think they would have dug out from under the early year woes to not end up dead last on offense.  I mean they had a whole last half of the year to get results offensively.

• Upvote 2

I'm not a Gase fan and I wish he wasn't retained as our coach for a second year, though I obviously want him to prove me wrong and have an extremely successful second year.

BUT... Manish's overwhelming bias against Gase, which is clearly personal on some level, makes me want Gase to succeed even more than I already do. Every time Manish puts out another Gase hit piece, I find myself inching farther and farther toward being a full-blown Gase supporter.

(Side note: I've heard from a number of people that NYDN thoroughly investigated the Wyatt situation and found it was 110% not Manish behind the account. Interesting that they chose not to clear his name when a lot of Jets fans still believe that he was running that account.)

8 minutes ago, sameoldjetsstore said:

I'm not a Gase fan and I wish he wasn't retained as our coach for a second year, though I obviously want him to prove me wrong and have an extremely successful second year.

BUT... Manish's overwhelming bias against Gase, which is clearly personal on some level, makes me want Gase to succeed even more than I already do. Every time Manish puts out another Gase hit piece, I find myself inching farther and farther toward being a full-blown Gase supporter.

(Side note: I've heard from a number of people that NYDN thoroughly investigated the Wyatt situation and found it was 110% not Manish behind the account. Interesting that they chose not to clear his name when a lot of Jets fans still believe that he was running that account.)

Mannish is as much of a snake as the fraud and just remember for a second, he  was all in for Gase before a Gase turned on him.  

He is one of the reason the Fraud is coaching the Jets.  His fake news piece stabbing MM was his last desperate move for the clowns owners to pass on him after he was about to be named the Jets HC.  

On 2/1/2020 at 5:31 PM, T0mShane said:

This, from Matt Moore, really gets at what I’ve been saying about Gase (and Mangini,  and Parcells, etc). Way too much of how fans perceive Jets coaches is based on how much those coaches try to kiss the fans’ asses. Herm did it masterfully and Rex was obsessed with fellating the base, both here and in Buffalo, and as a result, fans gave both of those guys a pass for way too long, and they both held onto their jobs for way too long. You’d like to think that we’re above this sort of nonsense, but we’re not. Both Rex and Herm went to smaller markets, tried slinging that “best fans in the league” bullsh*t, and both were run out of those towns in under three seasons because those fans don’t give a sh*t about getting their balls rubbed, they just want to win. Is it that Jets fans simply don’t expect to win, so they factor in how the coach makes them *feel* instead? 

FWIW, this sentence was my first thought reading this. This is the guy pumping him up.  I guess he is a brain that really should not be the face of the franchise.  As for the rest, bullsh*t.  Rex made it to two AFC championship games.  That is why he got a pass from the fans.  He never had two losing seasons in a row.  I hated Edwards as much as the next guy, but he made the playoffs every other year and won games once he got there.  That fat ******* carpetbagger was always an insufferable douche and he managed to sh*t away a super bowl roster on Rick ******* Mirer.  That was a Hackenberg-esque talent analysis.  Hell, he was the Jets coach for three years.   Year one he threw the playoffs away trying to prove he could win without Neil O'Donnell, by letting Ray Lucas and Leon Johnson throw picks. Another stellar performance.  Fans didn't like him because he is associated with the Giants and Pats. Two organizations that I have actively hated for the bulk of my life.  Mangini was also an insufferable douche, but without the talent or resume.  He didn't get a pass because he sucked and his only playoff game was pathetic.  He has proven his merit at his other stops. 

On 2/1/2020 at 7:39 PM, Mogglez said:

Rex made it to the playoffs in 2009 with a whopping two more wins than Gase, and he had a Super Bowl caliber roster that he had absolutely nothing to do with.  When tasked with coaching a roster with his hands on it, he was a total sh*tshow.  The love some people have for that buffoon is completely unwarranted.

What a crock of bullsh*t.  Rex is no teambuilder, but the idea that he won with Mangini's roster is as dumb as hell.  I mean you start with Mangini's roster, then subtract the Hall of Fame QB?  Go from there. Take away the team's #1 WR.  Take a defense ranked 16th in yards and 18th in points.  Add Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard,  have Kris Jenkins injured week 6 and be 1st in points and 1st in yards.  Rex Ryan is certainly a buffoon, but there are reasons to love him. 

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1. New York taxes

2. Bad decision making for both franchises 

3. Bloodthirsty media looking for stories everywhere 

4. Can become a star anywhere thanks to NFL marketing machine

5. Notoriously poor team ownership

6. Notoriously fickle and critical fans

7. Team hasn't been to a Super Bowl in 51 years and hasn't been to the playoffs in 9

43 minutes ago, sameoldjetsstore said:

I remember it well. "Rejoice, Jets fans." My best guess is that he had the most access of his career under the Macc/Bowles regime and thought he could pull off the same by heaping on the Gase praise when he got hired. 

Exactly.  There is no way a loser like Bowles ended up coaching the Jets for an incredible four year while the team got worse every year unless someone in the media praised him while ignoring his failure.  The Johnson only inside access to the team probably came through the media since they are very disinterested owners in their team unlike others like Krafts or Jerry Jones.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

What a crock of bullsh*t.  Rex is no teambuilder, but the idea that he won with Mangini's roster is as dumb as hell.  I mean you start with Mangini's roster, then subtract the Hall of Fame QB?  Go from there. Take away the team's #1 WR.  Take a defense ranked 16th in yards and 18th in points.  Add Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard,  have Kris Jenkins injured week 6 and be 1st in points and 1st in yards.  Rex Ryan is certainly a buffoon, but there are reasons to love him. 

No, it's not a crock of bullsh*t.  Adding Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard doesn't suddenly change the core of the roster. 

Sanchez was Rex's hand picked QB after Favre retired, that sin is on him but I'll give him a pass because Favre was never coming back to play for us and it was time to go with youth at the position. Take away the teams #1 WR?  You mean the rotting corpse of Laverneous Coles that did absolutely jack sh*t in 09 and the retired shortly after?  Convenient that you forget to include the addition of Braylon Edwards, who for all his flaws, was a solid replacement for Coles that year.

The core of that team was:

O-Line (built under Mangini)

Defensive players like Kerry Rhodes, David Harris, Kris Jenkins, Revis, Calvin Pace (brought in under Mangini)

And finally, a running game led by Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, and Tony Richardson (brought in under Mangini)

Did Rex get more out of the players?  Kinda.  The defense was better for sure, but the offense sputtered because of Sanchez and never came close to the heights of '08 in any of his years here.

He was a glorified DC that destroyed the core of this team when tasked with building it in his image.  It's no secret that the drafting and FAs brought in under Tanny/Rex differed heavily from the Tanny/Mangini regime and the results of that speak for themselves.

Letting Braylon go to replace him with Plaxico.

Cutting Cotchery for Rex's boy Derrick Mason

Giving Holmes a mega-deal, a toxic player Rex named Captain.

Cutting Damian Woody for Wayne Hunter.

Making Eric Smith an every game starter.

There's plenty more, without even getting into how awful he was at managing the attitudes in the locker room.  Ed Reed came in here and BLASTED Rex for running things the way that he did in 2013.

There are no real reasons to love Rex other than nostalgia for those 2 years.  He was a horrific Head Coach that rode the coattails of someone else's roster.

• Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

No, it's not a crock of bullsh*t.  Adding Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard doesn't suddenly change the core of the roster. 

Sanchez was Rex's hand picked QB after Favre retired, that sin is on him but I'll give him a pass because Favre was never coming back to play for us and it was time to go with youth at the position. Take away the teams #1 WR?  You mean the rotting corpse of Laverneous Coles that did absolutely jack sh*t in 09 and the retired shortly after?  Convenient that you forget to include the addition of Braylon Edwards, who for all his flaws, was a solid replacement for Coles that year.

The core of that team was:

O-Line (built under Mangini)

Defensive players like Kerry Rhodes, David Harris, Kris Jenkins, Revis, Calvin Pace (brought in under Mangini)

And finally, a running game led by Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, and Tony Richardson (brought in under Mangini)

Did Rex get more out of the players?  Kinda.  The defense was better for sure, but the offense sputtered because of Sanchez and never came close to the heights of '08 in any of his years here.

He was a glorified DC that destroyed the core of this team when tasked with building it in his image.  It's no secret that the drafting and FAs brought in under Tanny/Rex differed heavily from the Tanny/Mangini regime and the results of that speak for themselves.

Letting Braylon go to replace him with Plaxico.

Cutting Cotchery for Rex's boy Derrick Mason

Giving Holmes a mega-deal, a toxic player Rex named Captain.

Cutting Damian Woody for Wayne Hunter.

Making Eric Smith an every game starter.

There's plenty more, without even getting into how awful he was at managing the attitudes in the locker room.  Ed Reed came in here and BLASTED Rex for running things the way that he did in 2013.

There are no real reasons to love Rex other than nostalgia for those 2 years.  He was a horrific Head Coach that rode the coattails of someone else's roster.

I didn't know Rex was GM, but that is all irrelevant.  Rex was not a good team builder.  I repeat, he took a team that was 18/16 in D.  Added Scott and Leonhard and lost Kris Jenkins before halfway and had them 1/1.  That was as a good a coaching job as you will see.  Nobody thinks Rex deserved a longer stay, but you shouldn't sh*t on his accomplishments.  He did more with less than Parcells or Mangini.  It is a joke for Shane to complain about Rex getting a pass because of his personality.  His personality was his (rightly) downfall.  It kept him from getting a job with the Ravens and is the reason people like Shane were against him even when he was winning. 

He went 8-8 with a sh*t roster in 2013 when Idzik was trying to sabotage him.