Jets Rumors

KRL

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tony-pauline-mailbag-cba-update-jets-plans-young-overrated/

Tony, who are your favorite fits for the New York Jets in this draft? We know they want to upgrade the offensive line and if one of the big four (Wills, Thomas, Becton, or Wirfs) is there, do you think they draft him? Who would be good fits for Adam Gase in rounds 2-5?

I prefer Andrew Thomas by a longshot, but I don’t think he gets out of the top ten. After that, I prefer Tristan Wirfs but Mekhi Becton would be a better fit for Adam Gase’s offense. However, is Becton worth a top-15 pick? On my board, the answer is no. I don’t think Jerick Wills is a good fit at all for the Jets.

As far as the Jets, the draft, and the offensive line (and even receiver), we’ll have a clearer picture after we see their moves in free agency. Speaking of which…

Have you heard of any players the Jets may target in free agency or the draft?

I made mention of Joe Thuney last week and the only additional information I have is people tell me the Jets are giving signals they will be very active in the free-agent market. I do know the Jets like Anthony McFarland, the running back from Maryland, and this makes complete sense. He is a perfect fit for their offense.

Last year I took a ton of heat after saying Le’Veon Bell was not a good fit for Gase’s offense as he’s more an inside power gap runner versus the outside zone runner Gase wanted – think Telvin Coleman, for example. McFarland is a great fit for the outside zone scheme and I expect him to run super-fast at the combine. The Jets have two picks in the third round so you can draw your own conclusions at this point.

McFarland is a home run hitter.  I really like his game.  He's small for an NFL back, but it's more height than build.  He's not a lot different than Dalvin Cook stature wise.  

It's so hard to project guys in the mid round, because who knows how many other teams really like him, but I would love adding him.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

McFarland is a home run hitter.  I really like his game.  He's small for an NFL back, but it's more height than build.  He's not a lot different than Dalvin Cook stature wise.  

It's so hard to project guys in the mid round, because who knows how many other teams really like him, but I would love adding him.

at least we have some indication of the prototype rb they may want.  b/c the offense desperately needs speed, big play potential and rbs who can help darnold out when the OL fails.

23 minutes ago, KRL said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tony-pauline-mailbag-cba-update-jets-plans-young-overrated/

Tony, who are your favorite fits for the New York Jets in this draft? We know they want to upgrade the offensive line and if one of the big four (Wills, Thomas, Becton, or Wirfs) is there, do you think they draft him? Who would be good fits for Adam Gase in rounds 2-5?

I prefer Andrew Thomas by a longshot, but I don’t think he gets out of the top ten. After that, I prefer Tristan Wirfs but Mekhi Becton would be a better fit for Adam Gase’s offense. However, is Becton worth a top-15 pick? On my board, the answer is no. I don’t think Jerick Wills is a good fit at all for the Jets.

As far as the Jets, the draft, and the offensive line (and even receiver), we’ll have a clearer picture after we see their moves in free agency. Speaking of which…

Have you heard of any players the Jets may target in free agency or the draft?

I made mention of Joe Thuney last week and the only additional information I have is people tell me the Jets are giving signals they will be very active in the free-agent market. I do know the Jets like Anthony McFarland, the running back from Maryland, and this makes complete sense. He is a perfect fit for their offense.

Last year I took a ton of heat after saying Le’Veon Bell was not a good fit for Gase’s offense as he’s more an inside power gap runner versus the outside zone runner Gase wanted – think Telvin Coleman, for example. McFarland is a great fit for the outside zone scheme and I expect him to run super-fast at the combine. The Jets have two picks in the third round so you can draw your own conclusions at this point.

Another Macc 4 bagger. I swear, I think Macc knew his days were numbered and he did everything possible in FA and the draft to ruin Gase.

• Upvote 1

thanks for the info.  here's to hoping things fall in place when the jets finally do draft. i'm not sure i agree about the tackle becton not being worth the 11th pick.  as others have posted, if he's a guy who can get the job done what difference does it make if he's. supposed to be a 15 or 20 pick.  just get hi when you can.  i don't think they can risk the guy falling into the 2nd round.

• Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Without thinking about it too extensively I'd be comfortable using the second of those two 3rd rounders on him.  I'd have to assume we already addressed OLine at least once or twice and got a WR, but using the Jets fourth overall Draft pick on an explosive playmaker like McFarland wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Upvote 1

Just now, KRL said:

If the Jets are going to be "very active" in free agency as Pauline said I hope Douglas plans
to fix the OLine before the draft.  That would free him up to sit at #11 and take the BPA or
be aggressive in moving down and acquiring more picks

this is something i've been wondering about.  if they use most of their FA $$ on OL then they're not married to taking OL at 11 or even staying at 11.  and if they're considering jeudy or lamb at 11, how would that play into using the FA $$ on OL and NOT on robbie anderson?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

this is something i've been wondering about.  if they use most of their FA $$ on OL then they're not married to taking OL at 11 or even staying at 11.  and if they're considering jeudy or lamb at 11, how would that play into using the FA $$ on OL and NOT on robbie anderson?

I could see a team that wants the 4th QB (Love or Eason) or the WR that is still on the board
(Jeudy or Lamb) wanting to move to #11.  We could drop down get more picks and select an
edge rusher

1 minute ago, KRL said:

I could see a team that wants the 4th QB (Love or Eason) or the WR that is still on the board
(Jeudy or Lamb) wanting to move to #11.  We could drop down get more picks and select an
edge rusher

Would that not be so ironic with Josh Allen starring us in the face last year?

22 minutes ago, KRL said:

edge rusher

if the jets traded back i still don't think they're drafting an edge, they could still take an OL a few spots back, or even one of the wrs that falls.  if qbs and edge rushers are going, the jets could possibly trade back to 14-15 and still get one of the OTs or wrs they would have taken at 11.

24 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Without thinking about it too extensively I'd be comfortable using the second of those two 3rd rounders on him.  I'd have to assume we already addressed OLine at least once or twice and got a WR, but using the Jets fourth overall Draft pick on an explosive playmaker like McFarland wouldn't be a bad idea.

I like him as well. But he is a bit diminutive to me. Sorry, he is NOT Dalvin Cook. I have legitimate concerns that he will be eaten up at the NFL level if he doesn't get great blocking.  If he is there in the 5th or 6th round, I take him. I don't see him as an every down RB but he would be nice as a change of pace back. But I don't use a third rounder on him. There are other speedy RBs that have similar traits that will be available in the late rounds. 

I really like Antonio Gibson in the later rounds. A do it all RB/WR/KR who is absolutely explosive and has great hands. A true weapon on offense. 

If you are looking for an every down RB and are willing to take one in the 3rd round, I like Eno Benjamin, Zack Moss and Perine. Thats assuming the top 3 (Dobbins, Taylor and Swift are off the board- which, with RBs, you never know). Last year only two RBs went in the first 2 rounds. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, KRL said:

If the Jets are going to be "very active" in free agency as Pauline said I hope Douglas plans
to fix the OLine before the draft.  That would free him up to sit at #11 and take the BPA or

Jets have their cake and eat it too, that's something we have been waiting for for a very long time. We can all dream. Make it happen Joe.

8 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I like him as well. But he is a bit diminutive to me. Sorry, he is NOT Dalvin Cook. I have legitimate concerns that he will be eaten up at the NFL level if he doesn't get great blocking.  If he is there in the 5th or 6th round, I take him. I don't see him as an every down RB but he would be nice as a change of pace back. But I don't use a third rounder on him. There are other speedy RBs that have similar traits that will be available in the late rounds. 

I really like Antonio Gibson in the later rounds. A do it all RB/WR/KR who is absolutely explosive and has great hands. A true weapon on offense. 

If you are looking for an every down RB and are willing to take one in the 3rd round, I like Eno Benjamin, Zack Moss and Perine. Thats assuming the top 3 (Dobbins, Taylor and Swift are off the board- which, with RBs, you never know). Last year only two RBs went in the first 2 rounds. 

He's an inch shorter and 10lbs lighter than Cook.  Which averages out to about .1 lb per inch lighter.  I'd say that's pretty damn close in stature.

He has almost the exact height/weight ratio as Christian McCaffery, Marlon Mack, Philllip Lindsay, Kenyan Drake and others.  I'm not saying he's a prime candidate for every down play in the NFL, but too often people just look at height/weight ratio and say they can't.

Obviously he is not a big, punishing back, but I don't think he's "dimuntive".

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He's an inch shorter and 10lbs lighter than Cook.  Which averages out to about .1 lb per inch lighter.  I'd say that's pretty damn close in stature.

He has almost the exact height/weight ratio as Christian McCaffery, Marlon Mack, Philllip Lindsay, Kenyan Drake and others.  I'm not saying he's a prime candidate for every down play in the NFL, but too often people just look at height/weight ratio and say they can't.

One thing I’m learning is the small ball players work very well in the modern NFL. Small WR’s like TY Hilton, Crowder, Hill. Small QB’s like Kyler Murray. Smaller LBer’s/S’s and there’s even tweeners now...much like in basketball.

Small RB’s have really never been an issue though. 

McFarland would be a nice pick up later on in the draft and I’m 100% down with picking an explosive one for home run plays. Bell/Mcfarland would be a nice backfield to work with when it’s all said and done. I especially can get on board if we’ve already solved most of our OL woes in FA. 

The jets are going to be very active every single year in fa because they draft so terrible they are never paying out second contracts.

FA rarely fixes things and should be used to plug a few holes, the very rare time you can expect to get a real team difference maker but not often.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

We're not the only players in the FA OL market - if Douglas wants to go there it will be costly 

• Upvote 1

I'm hoping the Jets can sign one quality OL in free agency.  They're going to have to overpay to get a good one, and they should avoid signing mediocre veteran castoffs a la Mac.

They can't "fix" the OL in free agency.  They can get a guy (or two if lucky), but the draft is what's needed to rebuild the oline, hopefully LT and C are addressed in the first three rounds.  I also hope they draft at least three OL total, maybe four.

1 minute ago, TheClashFan said:

I'm hoping the Jets can sign one quality OL in free agency.  They're going to have to overpay to get a good one, and they should avoid signing mediocre veteran castoffs a la Mac.

They can't "fix" the OL in free agency.  They can get a guy (or two if lucky), but the draft is what's needed to rebuild the oline, hopefully LT and C are addressed in the first three rounds.  I also hope they draft at least three OL total, maybe four.

i have this feeling that the activity in FA re: OL will be names that are under OUR radar...      just a vibe i'm getting...

40 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

jest were too mind numbingly dumb to realaize woodhead could play...   

1 hour ago, derp said:

Definitely down to draft an explosive RB. Puts a lot more stress on the defense. The pass catching skills are a question but I’m sure teams will take a big look at the combine and his Pro Day.

A legitimate running game will help the passing game immensely Sam Darnold can be the gunslinger he is. 

1 hour ago, derp said:

Definitely down to draft an explosive RB. Puts a lot more stress on the defense. The pass catching skills are a question but I’m sure teams will take a big look at the combine and his Pro Day.

RB's are a dime a dozen these days.  Further we're not moving Bell with that contract.  I say wait till next year to draft a RB.  

2 hours ago, KRL said:

This, I really like the idea of adding FA OL especially some of the guys this year. IMO you'll get a better return on your investment with OL since it takes them some time to develop. I'm by no means against OL at #11 but I'd love the flexibility to take a WR or trade down to acquire more picks.

3 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

RB's are a dime a dozen these days.  Further we're not moving Bell with that contract.  I say wait till next year to draft a RB.  

This years draft is loaded with some really good ones if Bell was to go on the IR for any reason we have no plan B at the moment. 

With all due respect Bilal Powell is on the wrong side of 30. 

The need for speed at RB. 

2 hours ago, KRL said:

OK, but just don't take BPA for a DT or S. We would all be fine if we fixed the Oline in FA and then picked BPA out of OT/WR/CB/Edge.