Bears planning to release Prince Amukamara, Taylor Gabriel

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/21/bears-planning-to-relase-prince-amukamara-taylor-gabriel/

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 21, 2020, 3:32 PM EST

The Bears are taking some money off the books before the weekend.

According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, the Bears are planning to release veteran cornerback Prince Amukamara. Adam Schefter of ESPN adds that wide receiver Taylor Gabriel is on the way out as well.

Cutting Amukamara would give the 30-year-old former first-roynder a head start on the free agent market, which has a number of options at the position. He was due to make $9 million next season, and they’ll carry $1 million in dead money to let him go.

Gabriel’s release clears $4.5 million of cap space.

28 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/21/bears-planning-to-relase-prince-amukamara-taylor-gabriel/

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 21, 2020, 3:32 PM EST

The Bears are taking some money off the books before the weekend.

According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, the Bears are planning to release veteran cornerback Prince Amukamara. Adam Schefter of ESPN adds that wide receiver Taylor Gabriel is on the way out as well.

Cutting Amukamara would give the 30-year-old former first-roynder a head start on the free agent market, which has a number of options at the position. He was due to make $9 million next season, and they’ll carry $1 million in dead money to let him go.

Gabriel’s release clears $4.5 million of cap space.

Hmmmm Amukamara for $9 mil?   Seems pretty good.  I haven't kept up with him. Has he fallen off a cliff or is he still solid? 

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Hmmmm Amukamara for $9 mil?   Seems pretty good.  I haven't kept up with him. Has he fallen off a cliff or is he still solid? 

I think he is still solid.  Bears were bottom 5 in the league in cap space -- needed to free up some space.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

There is only one person who is worse at playing CB than Trumaine Johnson:  Me.

But you are not signing a $72MM contract, so you would still be a better signing.  CanadaSteve for the vet minimum or Trumaine Johnson for $72 mil.  You would be the better signing.

• Haha 2

In one thread 30 year old injury prone Alshon Jeffrey is generally being panned.

In this thread, people seem open to 30 year old injury prone Prince Amukamara. 

I don't get it.  When healthy(which neither usually are) Amukamara isn't the caliber player Jeffrey is.  Never has been.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

In one thread 30 year old injury prone Alshon Jeffrey is generally being panned.

I don't get it.  When healthy(which neither usually are) Amukamara isn't the caliber player Jeffrey is.  Never has been.

From a cost to acquire point of view Amukamara is easier to stomach.  No draft capital and most likely a lower cap figure.  I’m not a fan of either move.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Butterfield said:

He isn’t a slot receiver.  And, everything I have read states that Gase prefers smaller, shiftier, receivers.  

The guy is 5’7”, he doesn’t make his living on the outside.  If you really wanted him you can cut Berrios, but to have Crowder, Gabriel and Berrios be 50% of your active WR group is a mistake IMO. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The guy is 5’7”, he doesn’t make his living on the outside.  If you really wanted him you can cut Berrios, but to have Crowder, Gabriel and Berrios be 50% of your active WR group is a mistake IMO. 

Do some research.  He played in 79% of his eligible snaps last year.  Only 14.1% were in the slot position.  Very similar to every year of his career.  Being small doesn’t make you a slot receiver.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Not necessarily.  The pats have been using multiple slot guys for decades

5 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Go Huskers!

5 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Difference to me is that Amukamara is a FA.  Jeffrey is under contract for $9.9 mil for 2020.  That is not a contract I want to take on.  Add in that Alshon is coming off a lisfranc injury and is coming off surgery in December, whereas Priince has played in 30 games the last two years.  If i had to roll the dice with one of these guys, I would rather take the chance on Prince.

But I would still prefer to pass on both and get younger and more athletic at both positions.

• Upvote 2

in reality we need a corner and a wide receiver to hold the fort for a year. We can't dump all our draft resources into those positions this year, and even if we do draft a player or two at each of those positions there is no guarantee they will be ready to have a full time role or play at all. a 10 million dollar contract right now is probably best spent on a quality offensive lineman, and i don't think we could risk having another 10 million on IR if something goes wrong with alshon. I do think gabriel and amukamara could be useable pieces at good prices, and both have solid playoff experience, which would definitely benefit the team

• Upvote 2

On 2/22/2020 at 2:13 PM, Lith said:

Difference to me is that Amukamara is a FA.  Jeffrey is under contract for $9.9 mil for 2020.  That is not a contract I want to take on.  Add in that Alshon is coming off a lisfranc injury and is coming off surgery in December, whereas Priince has played in 30 games the last two years.  If i had to roll the dice with one of these guys, I would rather take the chance on Prince.

But I would still prefer to pass on both and get younger and more athletic at both positions.

Depends on price.  If all it takes is a 6th round pick or less absolutely it’s the right move to get Jeffery

36 minutes ago, Agoldstein54 said:

in reality we need a corner and a wide receiver to hold the fort for a year. We can't dump all our draft resources into those positions this year, and even if we do draft a player or two at each of those positions there is no guarantee they will be ready to have a full time role or play at all. a 10 million dollar contract right now is probably best spent on a quality offensive lineman, and i don't think we could risk having another 10 million on IR if something goes wrong with alshon. I do think gabriel and amukamara could be useable pieces at good prices, and both have solid playoff experience, which would definitely benefit the team

As good as Austin was last year he was injury prone in college and you need another cover corner anyway

Edited by Philc1

On 2/22/2020 at 7:48 AM, Lith said:

But you are not signing a $72MM contract, so you would still be a better signing.  CanadaSteve for the vet minimum or Trumaine Johnson for $72 mil.  You would be the better signing.

I would bring an intensity to the field.  Heart, desire, and a lack of ability being overwhelmed by even the slowest of lineman.  I bet I couldn't run down Beacham if he picked up a Bell fumble.

• Haha 1